• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Almost 24 hours of no power in south ATX. Toilet still works, so that's good. But it's maybe 40degrees in our apartment. I ended up making a candle using lard and tampons as a backup, since out candles were getting low.
Hello neighbor. We live off South Lamar and are sadly in the same boat. An East Austin ERA user got power back some time ago..most jealous I've been of someone in a long time. I hope it stuck for his sake and wasn't just a temporary recovery.

Nov 2, 2017
spacecityweather.com

The power situation is disastrous, and it likely won’t be fixed tonight

Millions of customers in the greater Houston region continue to experience some of our coldest weather in decades without the benefit of electricity to heat their homes. (Full disclosure, I am one …

Another update from earlier today, with some detail on what happened last night that lead to the current situation.

Two things happened last night to contribute to these outages. First, demand was extraordinarily high across the state, Mercado said. And then, beginning at about 1 am, generating units started to shut down. This is almost certainly due to extremely cold conditions. Eventually about one-third of the anticipated capacity went offline. This included a handful of freezing wind turbines, but the majority of the volume losses were due to coal and natural gas plants going offline.

CenterPoint had been planning to manage increased demand overnight and today through rolling outages, which would last about 30 to 45 minutes. However, when power plants began going offline, CenterPoint had to prioritize circuits that fed power to emergency units, such as hospitals and police stations. After this, there just was not enough capacity to implement rolling outages so if your power went out, it mostly stayed out. (Note: If you have power, do your part by conserving energy. If you use fewer watts, access to the grid can be expanded to others).

So no power for most of us tonight. Hopefully no one else loses power.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm thankful for the intermittent power that the rolling blackouts give us, but they really need to just fix this shit. In the hour or so that the power is out the house drops 5 degrees and it's not even the coldest it will get yet. And that is if the power comes back. We have gone without power for hours at times today.

The way Texas handles it's power grid is fucking insane.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
No power since 2am... Walked a mile and a half to somewhere with power and heat to find out they were going to give shelter to someone recovering with covid/pneumonia. Came home.

Dang Texas.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
So from what I'm reading above there isn't enough supply for the demand? Once those suppliers come back online most should start getting power back? (Sorry I can't quote for some reason, phone is acting wonky as shit all day)

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need a pic of that lol
EuURKdEXAAMoQaL
The world is now illuminated here by SlaughterLane

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
posting from my car to charge my phone.
Welp, available power overhead is down to 1,100 MW and shrinking. Guess more outages and/or cascading power failure is coming up.
this was prophetic, we lost power about 5 minutes after is post. was hopin it was temporary, but its still out.

debating draining my well, i was using heat tape to keep the pipes warm. and we covered the pipes for the pool that aree above ground but we might be fucked.
I have family in Conroe and they lost their power an hour ago.

Stay as warm as y'all can, fellow Texans.
my parents lost power in conroe in the middle of the night last night, they went to a hotel that apparently only just got power back before they got there

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
don't know if this was Texas but it got a laugh out of me:

809ddyct4oh61.jpg

stay safe Texas/Midwest Era!

That is funny.

Not as funny as my boss responding to my co-worker about his situation....

This happened at 1pm and we are all working from home

Co-Worker: I've had no power since 3am
Boss: The office has power, internet and heat
Boss: If it is possible, you can come by to the office.
Co-Worker: Sure, its right around the corner....

(Btw, boss was serious - not sarcasm. Dude literally drove to the office cause he loves to work in the office. He's a republican who complains about Biden all the time and recently saying that Biden's gonna take all our jobs away from us.)

When all the roads are closed and there's been so many damn accidents throughout the day, while its snowing and while the mayor and judge told everyone to stay home.

Also my co-worker lives 20 miles away from the office lol - fucked up.

Last edited:

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Still no power since 2am. While apartment complex is dark. I live near the NRG stadium in Houston. Rolling blackouts are supposed to roll not become permanent lol.

Have some friends who love near by about 4 miles away with power.

Showered with a bucket of ice cold water I saved and a cup when I came home from work (Texas Medical Center).

What a time to be alivehope power comes back soon here and for everyone else too, in sure many have it worse than I.

Crowboy

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the CenterPoint outage map for the Houston area. Says that as of 9:45PM, 1,462,285 have no power. Only 38.99% of customers have power.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Reading through this thread has reminded me how places outside of where I live (Fucking Cold, Canada) either really struggle with cold weather or aren't equipped for it.

We just got off a week or two of -40 to -50 Celcius of weather and it was business as usual.

Jan 3, 2018
It's so great to have the power turn on twice in the past hour only to last for a span of 5 minutes.

San Antonio by the way.

zenosparadox

Nov 13, 2017
According to poweroutage.us, 96% of Brazoria Country is without power. That's staggering.

(I live in Pearland)

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
We had power in east Plano for about 20 mins. Was enough to get my phone 1/3 charger and a few other things topped off. Hoping by EOD tomorrow capacity is a bit better but with another round of storms coming who knows.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this thread has reminded me how places outside of where I live (Fucking Cold, Canada) either really struggle with cold weather or aren't equipped for it.

We just got off a week or two of -40 to -50 Celcius of weather and it was business as usual.

Yea, it's not freezing cold in the Toronto area anymore, and it certainly didn't get -40 in the past week like some parts of Canada but we are getting 25+ CM of snow tonight and it's no big deal really.

I'm always amazed how some places can get completely wrecked by near freezing temps if they don't have systems set up to handle it....

Stay safe Texas

Oct 25, 2017
Just got power back after 20 hours without. We were still okay - it was only 50 inside the house according to the thermostat but I was really worried about tonight. I'm assuming rolling blackouts will pick back up soon.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
This isn't just due to the extremely cold weather. There was a massive failure in planning somewhere. I hope the right folks are identified and held responsible.

Oct 25, 2017
Went to a friends house that was like a 5 minute drive away because he has power. Seeing my neighborhood and the neighborhood across the street completely dark while the high school football stadium across the street is lit up like a god damn Christmas tree pissed me off. People are dealing with black ours for hours, but at least this stadium can have a really well lit empty parking lot! Fucking clown shit

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone's house/roof making tons of popping noises? Crazy. Guess it's thermal expansion but man, it's a lot.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't just due to the extremely cold weather. There was a massive failure in planning somewhere. I hope the right folks are identified and held responsible.

There's no massive failing in planning. There was just cold the system was never built for. The all time demand record on ERCOT's books was broken because 2/3rds of Texans use electric heat. Normally this wouldn't be a problem on its own, you know, because ERCOT has seen those demands in August before, right? Except the 1/3 left using natural gas were drawing such ridiculous amounts to try and keep warm there wasn't enough left for natural gas power plants which further meant less electricity for 2/3 of the state.

It's not like someone thought "oh shit I think I'm going to turn off the state today". There literally wasn't enough energy in the state's system to be able to heat everything adequately. There also wasn't much anyone could do on the short notice that everyone had that negative degree literal arctic air was going to come flooding down from the north pole. Texas is wired for a safety margin on the hottest, most demanding day of the year. Being 50 degrees below normal in most of the state just fucking broke things.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Been without power for a little more than 24 hours now

Luckily we have a gas stove so cooking isn't an issue but we had issue with our water(not frozen pipes, it was shut off) but it later came back.

Hopefully the power comes back tomorrow.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
First time my 4G actually works. Guess house has decent insulation. It has held above 60 degrees so far with no power since 2am Monday.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My parents live through two weeks of no power during Sandy and flooding. I think everyone should have a bug out bag for natural disasters.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope everyone is staying safe and warm tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will bring us better luck regarding power outages!

Oh, and I made a quick little video/edit of the snow in my neighborhood :)

Last edited: