• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Our manager is pissed because basically nobody came to work. Like...no shit? I have no clue why we didn't just close

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
16 hours without power. Cell phone networks are being heavily throttled, last update I was able to get was the "rolling" blackouts will stop tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

It is damn chilly in my apartment

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
We finally had enough and went to stay with family that lives down the street. This is the warmest I've been all day, stoked for a hot shower lol.

it seems the power at my house had settled into like a 30 minute off 5 minute on cycle. I had it timed and it was super precise.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Our manager is pissed because basically nobody came to work. Like...no shit? I have no clue why we didn't just close
Mine turned into a big baby because he had to let people go home. Like dude our cars are already buried and it's getting worse outside. I live 8 minutes away from work. It took me 20 minutes to get home. It's fucked here.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I really don't know what happened, but my heater, which was dead yesterday morning—fan completely busted and not blowing—just started working again out of no where.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't lost power yet which is a miracle. Usually we would but hasn't happened so far.

We're preparing just in case cuz word around is we may anytime soon.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Live in Jersey Village in Houston and haven't had power since 2am. I'm coasting fine so far but someone really dropped the ball.

i actually have off from work until Thursday so at least I'm getting paid for being frozen at home

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Been having rolling blackouts for almost the entire day here in San Antonio. CPS Energy somehow managed to get the crews out there to start fixing some stuff.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking pathetic. Just goes to show how fucked we are when a real disaster happens.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Coming close to 24 hours without power. My apartment is close to 30°. Many layers of sweats and blankets. Hopefully we get a few hours of power tomorrow. I live in a lower economic area of Austin, ie brown and black, so I figure we'll be the last to get our power back on

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know what happened, but my heater, which was dead yesterday morning—fan completely busted and not blowing—just started working again out of no where.
"Ugh, fine, I suppose I'll help you one last time".

Same thing happened with a gas heater my dad had at home some years ago, it was like a damn furnace, but it stopped working in the previous hours of a very cold weekend and my dad was frustrated because he couldn't find a good replacement in time.

That POS gave us heat one last time before dying after the cold days ended. It was really strange.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Lost power in my area since the early morning. I had to go to another person's house for heat.

Oct 25, 2017
16+ hours no power, cell signal sucks.

We have gas stove, hot water, and toilet. Under 3 comforters at home and I'm still cold. But that's my every work day anyway.

Still sucks. Getting dark as well, candles and shitty flashlights ahoy.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Somehow haven't lost power yet in North Austin despite my office down the road not having any since this morning. It's still scary out there, the roads are destroyed around here and people are STILL dangerously sliding all over the place.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Mine turned into a big baby because he had to let people go home. Like dude our cars are already buried and it's getting worse outside. I live 8 minutes away from work. It took me 20 minutes to get home. It's fucked here.
Same boat. I legit live 10 mins from home but took a 30 min drive just to be safe. Nobody is coming to shop in these conditions, so they'll be SOL this whole week. 🙄

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A good time to look into some light prepping, it can be fun and help a lot in civil emergencies.

Oct 25, 2017
4G seems to be more consistent than LTE right now if you're having problems with your cell phone with the power off

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Was reading that the department of energy has told ERCOT to cut back if emissions get over a certain threshold. Surely a few days is worth it so people aren't without power? I am a young guy who runs hot so I am mostly in once iced not playing video games. But there are people who are going hungry or getting ill over this. Surely that should be fine for a few days.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
A lot of people on the roads because they needed to go to fast food places to feed their families. Saw a fifty car line to KFC

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so what's happening now? As someone ignorant to Texas' history/power structure, can someone give me a summary of the issue? Are there major snow storms causing the power outages? Or are there no storms but low temperatures, and there 's something unique about Texas that can't handle the cold weather?

Edit: nvm I saw the ars technica link posted. sucks.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Power went down 6amish, and just came back around 20 minutes ago. Hopefully a good sign for other people, too...?

I live just outside Austin.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I'm in my car with the heater on. I may end up sleeping here idk
I'm terribly sorry it's come to that, stay safe friend. I'd be more than willing to take you in if you live up in Montgomery County

Wait, so what's happening now? As someone ignorant to Texas' history/power structure, can someone give me a summary of the issue? Are there major snow storms causing the power outages? Or are there no storms but low temperatures, and there 's something unique about Texas that can't handle the cold weather?
We have our own power grid but other than that idk what's going on. Can't really be pinned on a singular thing rather than just fuckups all around. It's not like it doesn't get cold and icy here, it's not an uncommon site to see snow/sleet up in Hill Country and the Panhandle

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe meteorologist-era can chime in:

is this the furthest south the polar vortex has ever gone?

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in my car with the heater on. I may end up sleeping here idk
I just want to reiterate what Boondocks said here. Please be very, very careful running your car engine while sleeping. Even if you're not in an enclosed space, if your car's exhaust gets blocked by snow or something else, you could get carbon monoxide poisoning, which is nothing to fuck with.

If your car is the warmest place you've got, your best bet is to get your car as warm as possible, get as many blankets/sleeping bags as you can, turn the engine off, and then go to sleep. If you get too cold, you can always start the engine back up. CO kills people, don't fuck around with it.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 24 hours of no power in south ATX. Toilet still works, so that's good. But it's maybe 40degrees in our apartment. I ended up making a candle using lard and tampons as a backup, since out candles were getting low.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Was getting 15 power every hour, so we got a bunch of food out to quickly throw together when the 15min power came back on. That was 3hrs ago. Was consistent before so all this time with no power bodes ill

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Down at 3:44am, up at 4:07pm, down at 5:35pm. It's damn near 8pm now.

16 hours: 14.5 hours down, 1.5 hours of power.

Get the fuck outta here with that "rolling" nonsense.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about driving to my friends place tomorrow morning if the power isn't back yet then.
It's about an 24 minute drive if avoiding highways...but soemthing tells me it'll take much longer than that

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so is this a new thing or has Texas always have rolling blackouts when it gets just a bit cold?

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm terribly sorry it's come to that, stay safe friend. I'd be more than willing to take you in if you live up in Montgomery County

I appreciate that. My sister actually lives there in Conroe and she has been lucky so far. 2 blocks over from her though that neighborhood is out. It's still safer to tough it out here than to chance a 3 hour drive down I-45

saelz8

Dec 25, 2017
Posted earlier that I went to my parents place in Pflugerville because they never lost power. Went back to my apartment to drip the faucets, having forgotten to do that. As soon as I got back, their power went out too. Lame.

Gas stations are packed, everywhere. If it's not packed, it's not open.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
My boss just texted me that they are wanting a few of us to go in at 10AM instead of normally at 6AM tomorrow. I'm such a coward and said sure. I live on the otherside of SA and 1604 is gonna be a bitch.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
14 hours no power.

Really don't give a shit about electricity or hot food or even keeping warm.

Pretty much just singularly want my water pipes to survive this bullshit.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have low water pressure now. Line break at the tanks. Shit sucks, but at least I have power.