• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SlowRiot

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to take a short walk outside my apartment (really wanted to check to see if the lake next to us had frozen over) and immediately regretted it.

The wind wasn't even cold it just made my face hurt.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching the rain come down for the past couple of hours here in Houston. It's going to be super nasty when this freezes.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Just took the dog out, slightly south of Houston. Fuck it's already cold, god damn. Highly doubt I'll even be able to make it downstairs, let alone to work tomorrow.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Harris County just shot out this alert:

image.png

Starting to see some tiny icicles on trees here in Cypress.

Gyrian

Nov 14, 2020
North Fort Worth too. Looked like a little wind and flurries at first, but now it's properly snowing. There's already about an inch or two all over... Hope power holds out, this isn't going anywhere for a while.

Gila Moo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just got a text from my job saying that the building will be closed for tomorrow, thank goodness. Suppose to get down to -4F in the morning where I'm at.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope my power holds out. I'm in Fort Worth and really worried about that.

Oct 27, 2017
Snow in Texas means there's no reason to worry about global warming. The snowball politician from Oklahoma will tell you.

"This right here is a snowball. Here, catch this."

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
pfft, I'd rather have just 3 days of this in TX (lower TX) than every other week of this in TN or for 2 months straight in Michigan.

I'm in TN , originally from Michigan my entire life and it still seems as cold as Michigan, just without snow.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to type how it is no picnic here in Tennessee right now either but then I looked at Texas temps.

😬

Good luck and god speed, TX-Era.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd even try before Tuesday afternoon, but if you have the means to wait until Friday, do it. That's my plan anyway.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
pfft, I'd rather have just 3 days of this in TX (lower TX) than every other week of this in TN or for 2 months straight in Michigan.

I'm in TN , originally from Michigan my entire life and it still seems as cold as Michigan, just without snow.

It isn't just that the weather is cold or icy or snowy. I've lived in both South Bend, IN and Champaign, IL. The difference is that there is zero infrastructure down here in mid/southern Texas for handling any of it. No salt trucks, no plows. Pipes aren't insulated to the same level. Power lines aren't built for handling it.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
It isn't just that the weather is cold or icy or snowy. I've lived in both South Bend, IN and Champaign, IL. The difference is that there is zero infrastructure down here in mid/southern Texas for handling any of it. No salt trucks, no plows. Pipes aren't insulated to the same level. Power lines aren't built for handling it.
True. Thats one thing I forget about is the infrastructure. Hope it doesn't strike like this again for a long while.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Heads up everyone: we're about to enter the phase of Texas freezes when people argue non-stop whether or not "it's sleet or snow".

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
It's snowing here in Cypress!

image.png
image.png
image.png

A lot of houses are also designed to push heat out, so that's another issue. Heaters can run all day, but it's not going to do a ton of good if that heat isn't staying in the house.

Probably Friday, as the sunshine will start to melt the ice (it'll still be cold as hell, though). Until then, better bunker down.

Yeah, I'm a teacher and depending on how things look tomorrow, I'm not expecting to be back at work in person until next week. Right now we're for sure out of the building until Wednesday, but that front that's moving in later in the week might complicate things.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So when will roads be drivable in Houston?
Probably Friday, as the sunshine will start to melt the ice (it'll still be cold as hell, though). Until then, better bunker down.
Yeah, it's going to be a while. It'll stop accumulating when the temperatures rise and the precipitation stops, but it's going to stay below freezing for days, that ice isn't going anywhere. At this point, I'm not planning on leaving the house at all next week.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
This is the jet stream right now:

2100z.gif

Everything above the jet stream is air coming straight off the arctic.

CLIMAte ChanGe is A FrAud!

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Curious, do most homes in Texas even have heating?

Nope. Funny story. During the cold snap, Texans using electric space heating drove wholesale power rates up to $3000/MWh. Texas isn't connected to the rest of the Eastern Interconnect because they don't want federal regulations on their pollution spewing power plants and the cheap power that it results in so when the state runs out of power they're just fucking stuck.

It's probably going to happen again tonight and they've announced possible rolling blackouts.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Funny story. During the cold snap, Texans using electric space heating drove wholesale power rates up to $3000/MWh. Texas isn't connected to the rest of the Eastern Interconnect because they don't want federal regulations on their pollution spewing power plants and the cheap power that it results in so when the state runs out of power they're just fucking stuck.

It's probably going to happen again tonight and they've announced possible rolling blackouts.
This too: https://www.statesman.com/story/new...nes-hampering-electric-generation/4483230001/