• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Unfortunately there isn't one. I've thought about setting out an incandescent lamp and boxing it in, but haven't gone that far yet.
I unfortunately haven't had this issue before because I've always had frost proof sillcocks, but if push comes to shove maybe you could shut the water off to a room or two? Or maybe your situation is like mine and the hose bib comes right off the water main and you'd have to shut water off to the whole house... it's on my list to put a block valve in.

Maybe you can take a look and see if the water is clearly freezing and pull the trigger on a heating lamp inside in the worst case if it's possible that way even.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Our houses are designed from the ground up to get rid of heat as efficiently as possible. Our infrastructure is designed for heat waves, not ice and snow. Anything below 25-30 is basically a nightmare around here.
When you put it like that, yeah that's pretty rough. Currently for some reason my room is the only room in the house that does not get heat, and the bed becomes ice cold, and I gotta triple layer blankets

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Looks like it's gonna be 25F Monday night here in the Nawlins area.

Wife and I moved into a new house and the morning cold is a stark difference to what we experienced in our apartment previously for a whole variety of factors. (No carpeting, bigger space, more windows, etc.)

Bought an Ecobee 3 Lite a few weeks ago and never could figure out how to get it installed up in the attic. Might try to take one more crack at it this weekend.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Really fortune to be in the newer area of pflugerville (Austin) with power lines underground and slab foundation with flexible piping. A lot of people are going to be surprised with burst pipes and power outages and 100% of roads being ice on Monday

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Schools closed, advised by local officials to stay home

Boss: Please make sure to be careful when driving to work

😂

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Really fortune to be in the newer area of pflugerville (Austin) with power lines underground and slab foundation with flexible piping. A lot of people are going to be surprised with burst pipes and power outages and 100% of roads being ice on Monday
I think our house has flexible pipes. Should those handle is better?

Last edited:

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
When OP wrote -2 I thought it was Centigrades.. and I was like man even I have experienced -2 C in Dallas .. then I realized it is -2 farenheit and that's even colder than we've had here in Gothenburg, Swe this winter lol.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I kind of want to go outside Monday night just to experience subzero once?
How's the wind usually in Texas?

At least for me, temperature doesn't bother me too much but once the wind starts hitting, that's when the cold sucks hard. I can be fine in 10 degrees with no wind but its horrible even at 30 with decent wind.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

At least for me, temperature doesn't bother me too much but once the wind starts hitting, that's when the cold sucks hard. I can be fine in 10 degrees with no wind but its horrible even at 30 with decent wind.

It can get pretty windy down here in Houston since we're close to the gulf.

OP
OP
Ottaro

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

The weather advisory for Dallas is warning there could be -15F wind chill. :(

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I am in DFW. I already had ice frozen out of my outside faucets even though they were wrapped. Not busted but I rewrapped them with bigger towels when I got home. I think I might be in trouble on Monday.

Oct 25, 2017
I am in DFW. I already had ice frozen out of my outside faucets even though they were wrapped. Not busted but I rewrapped them with bigger towels when I got home. I think I might be in trouble on Monday.

If you can faucet covers try them. They're a harder shell plastic over foam. They should help more than the straight towel.

If you can turn off water to them that's also a huge help but not everyone has shut off valves for outside faucets.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
It's been like a high of 5 here everyday for a few weeks. Welcome to the vortex.

Like others have said though, you're probably in a place that's better equipped to handle it. Texas cities don't have armies of salt trucks at their disposal, and nobody knows how to drive on ice. I'm not even sure where I would go to get tire chains.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Do houses in Texas have central heating? My hometown across the ocean has zero central heating anywhere, so dealing with temperatures in the single digit Celcius requires down-filled jackets indoors.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but check with your neighbors. We got our house built and kept bring it up as a feature and we were like when the fuck will this matter in our heads. Turns out about 6 years later lol.
Yeah my house is 2015. I didn't understand what it was when they were building it.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
Man the contrast between indoors and outdoors temps at my house is just wild. Foolishly moved the trash/recycling bins in shorts and whoo boy it was chilly. My house is only 3 years old so the temps are nice inside.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
rk6nnjO.gif

All I can think of when reading the title...

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
I'm in El Paso and it doesn't look like it'll get too bad over here. Stay safe, easterners.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I've been checking the weather on my phone for the last two days, and the expected lows for Monday keep dropping. It was 18 degrees and now it's 3. I'm thankfully off of work on Sunday and Monday, but I'm hoping the city is still shut down on Tuesday so I can just call out.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Shits crazy. Been here my whole life and can't ever remember a time where it was single digits in Austin

042cf276-2549-43f5-8fqj9a.jpeg

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shit's wild in North Austin, Domain district. I've heard four car wrecks on my block just today. There's something about the crunch of a car's exterior that is unmistakable.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Houston is speedrunning its winter weather in the worst way possible.

We haven't seen temperatures like that since the 80s. Luckily, our boss wants us to stay put.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My neighbor's faucet froze so I just got finished helping there. Keep those wrapped up, everyone!

Yeah, as a Midwesterner...Drip your pipes overnight. That will help prevent freezing. One or two is probably safe. Also open the cabinet doors under any sink near an external wall to displace cold air.

Also, drink lots of fluids and get good sleep. Pop a vitamin C or two, too. The rapid change in temp (both up and/or down) will, for some crazy reason, likely increase your chances of getting a cold/sore throat/general feeling of shittiness.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from an HEB run in Round Rock, and it was packed. Had to wait for parking packed. Trees are down all over the place. Its crazy.
Same here, went to the Randall's and it was crazy packed. Was unable to find flashlights but I do have some rechargable lights as back up.

I'm mostly worried about pipes, my exterior faucets are wrapped so at least I have that going for me.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, TX Era - if you need any advice on cold weather - ask away. We're use to this shit in the NE for 6 months at a time!

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The rapid change in temp (both up and/or down) will, for some crazy reason, likely increase your chances of getting a cold/sore throat/general feeling of shittiness.

I grew up in Houston and I can't remember the last time I got the flu, but without fail (this year aside, weirdly enough... hopefully I'm not jinxing it), I get strep right when the temperature drops for the first time.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
All stocked up on foodstuffs. The company officially closed all Texas offices for Monday and Tuesday, but I would have been working from home anyway (and I'd already told my team to do the same). No reason at all to even leave the house for the next four or five days.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
yea fuck this shit, there's a reason i live in Texas!

gotta wrap my fruit trees, cover my asparagus which has started to sprout!
wrap all my pipes.

everyone just needs to stay the fuck at home, you can't drive in ice.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
stay inside, try not to go anywhere, you say?

shame whataburger doesn't see it that way and I'll be working in freaking near-historic cold temps for us

It has SUCKED since it got cold two days ago. Monday honestly has me depressed just seeing it.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
People should definitely read up on dripping your faucets so your pipes don't freeze up and potentially burst.