• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like over half the states and possibly federal soon. The laws pass with full bipartisan support.
This is some wild stuff.
Wonder where all the people who shit on the ACLU for being Nazi/Milo supporters are? Probably the same place they go when the NY Times has a story they agree with.
Ugh, W.D. Tex. Good luck.
Well, if we have different interpretations/rulings in different states, that makes a Supreme Court cert more likely, right?
How has the ACLU not challenged these laws systematically, in every state?

Those are blatantly violating Freedom of Speech.
They need a plaintiff with standing (someone who will be affected by the law) to challenge it. Like this case in Kansas: https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-spee...rgeting-israel-boycotts-fail-first-legal-test

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
"Mandatory Pro-Israel Oath"

giphy.gif

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fuck that. Boycotting apartheid-era South Africa was the right thing to do, and it worked. If boycotts didn't work, Likud and their allies in the US wouldn't be so afraid of BDS.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Israel first!?
This country is pathetic, the amount of bootlicking and ass kissing.
Is Saudi Arabia next?

Yeah, their PR is getting bad enough that they probably will need to start doing it next.

First they need to make their own pro-Saudi branch of Christianity that somehow gets people to support some unrelated nation-state.
Second they make their own PAC to get said religious branch to donate to their politicans.
Third make laws to fire elementary school teachers.
Profit.

We just love stanning for other shitty states.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the legal argument in support of these laws is, but it seems like they are blatant viewpoint discrimination, which means that they should be DOA in the courta.

"Congress shall make no law..."

This isn't a federal issue, it's a state issue, so you'd have to take it up with the state's interpretation of their constitution.
The 14th Amendment applies the 1st Amendment to the states.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
"Congress shall make no law..."

This isn't a federal issue, it's a state issue, so you'd have to take it up with the state's interpretation of their constitution.

States cannot pass laws that violate any of the federal amendments, or blatantly ignore a Supreme Court ruling. The only reason this stands is because it hasn't been argued at a high enough level.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"As of now, 26 states have enacted such laws — including blue states run by Democrats such as New York, California, and New Jersey — while similar bills are pending in another 13 states."

Half of USA is fucked.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked to see even my own state has such a law. Unbelievable. This is BLATANTLY unconstitutional.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Cool! At your next meeting can you get Bari Weiss and Bret Stephens to speak up on this? Maybe Sam Harris and his squad, if they're not too busy with their Patreon thing. Thanks!
You could have at least not named someone that the article specifically notes as having criticized Israel lol.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This kind of legislation shouldn't be legal given the clear declarations of our constitution. What's next, Washington state saying teachers must pledge to always offer boisterous praise for Starbucks? People in Florida can't criticise China or must only purchase products "made in America"? It's all so silly.

I hope she finds justice.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always bemoan the state of the teaching profession and the difficulties that come along with it, but then I remember it's even worse when you teach in the south.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is this even legal? Free speech only when it suits you I guess. Hopefully she sues, wins, and this BS can get overturned.