• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds unconsitutional for the state to try and enforce this. Expect the supreme court to tear them a new one.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How has the ACLU not challenged these laws systematically, in every state?

Those are blatantly violating Freedom of Speech.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking evil. I really hate the large part of this country that pulls this kind of bullshit.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Surely even the most up Trump's arse right wingers must see this and wonder what the fuck is going on. A fucking clause in a teacher's work contract specifically preventing them from criticising a foreign nation.

Like c'mon for fucks sake.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
She is most likely being selectively targeted for her ethnicity. This law could be abused to basically point at someone you don't like and fuck them over.

Oct 28, 2017
Let's be super clear that Pflugerville is not Austin. It's an awful awful burb. It's a shitty state law, but there is no way Austin ISD would enforce this.

I can guarantee, without a shadow of a doubt, that AISD, the City of Austin and every other governmental entity in the state is enforcing this except possibly through incompetence if they aren't aware the law exists. It's written into the contract law.

And many of the politicians in the blue areas will support this. Supporting or opposing Israel is not a partisan issue in our politics.

Oct 26, 2017
As an Arab American here, this makes me so angry I could go blind. Shifting protections from our own marginalized groups, while painting white and straight people as victims, and correcting the balance of justice to protect a people that don't even live here, much less ones that murder Palestinian women and children...

I fucking can't with today. And Greg Abbot is master bating on Twitter about TX being pro israel

Oct 25, 2017
God, conservatives are the fucking worst

Read the article.

At the time that Texas enacted the law barring contractors from supporting a boycott of Israel, it was the 17th state in the country to do so. As of now, 26 states have enacted such laws — including blue states run by Democrats such as New York, California, and New Jersey — while similar bills are pending in another 13 states.

One of the first states to impose such repressive restrictions on free expression was New York. In 2016, Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued an executive order directing all agencies under his control to terminate any and all business with companies or organizations that support a boycott of Israel. "If you boycott Israel, New York State will boycott you," Cuomo proudly tweeted, referring to a Washington Post op-ed he wrote that touted that threat in its headline.

So Cuomo mandated that his own state employees boycott two other states within his own country, a boycott that by design would harm U.S. businesses, while prohibiting New York's private citizens from supporting a similar boycott of a foreign nation upon pain of being barred from receiving contracts from the state of New York. That such a priority scheme is so pervasive — whereby boycotts aimed at U.S. businesses are permitted or even encouraged, but boycotts aimed at Israeli businesses are outlawed — speaks volumes about the state of U.S. politics and free expression, none of it good.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
th

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood this country's undying loyalty to Israel

Evangelicals are big on the idea of seeing the Second Coming in their lifetimes. One of the preconditions for the Second Coming is the reconstruction of the Temple of Solomon, which was destroyed over 2500 years ago, and would require the destruction of the Dome of the Rock, one of the top 3 Holy sites in Islam, which now sits on the same site as the Temple of Solomon.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How has the ACLU not challenged these laws systematically, in every state?

Those are blatantly violating Freedom of Speech.
You need an actual case to challenge the law. I'm sure the ACLU will be all over this case now that something has actually happened. It's virtually impossible to challenge a law that's not being enforced, even if said law is blatantly unconstitutional. That's why there are many ridiculous and likely unconstitutional laws still on the books in many states, they aren't enforced so no case about those laws enters the court system for them to be challenged.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be super clear that Pflugerville is not Austin. It's an awful awful burb. It's a shitty state law, but there is no way Austin ISD would enforce this.
Pflugerville ISD has been more progressive than Austin ISD in the past.

This is a shitty law that is in effect in the majority of the country, and it's something that affects all vendors/individual contractors, not employees.

On the bright side, this could challenge the state law, but I believe there have already been challenges that have failed.
Iirc Pflugerville ISD was the first in the state to extend benefits to same sex partners

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not sure how this is even legal. Pledge an oath to another country? Take this shit to court asap.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm glad my state so far does not have his rule. Hell, I don't know much about Israel to know whether I object or not but I think it is absolutely disgusting and anti free speech to have laws saying you can't boycott something.

Disappointed in New York and california.

Fakto

Oct 26, 2017
Well, these laws help a lot of crazy conspiracy theories ... hope this case brings attention to them and be brought to the supreme court to be overruled.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a blatant violation of the 1st amendment.

If the US wasn't so far up Israel's ass, I'd say this would be an open and shut case.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It is not unusual for contractors to a state or the federal government agree to additional terms as a part of getting to do business with the state or feds. Those terms are frequently added via executive order (though this was was via statute) and may or may not pass muster depending on several factors.

Of note, Obama used an executive order to require all fed contractors to not discriminate based on sexual orientation or gender. Many states use these laws to require certain payment standards above minimum wage.

Since it is superficially religiously agnostic I won't guess as to whether or not it survives the legal challenge.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh this is the best part

Basically as part of their death cult prophecy... Jesus won't come back and rapture them all to heaven until all the Jews are in Israel... so they literally do whatever they can to make that happen.
What the flying fuck. How did I never hear of this? That explains why my nut evangelical friends are so in love with Israel.