• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm so glad to live in a place with power as a city-run utility with fixed rates. Last month's electricity was about fifty bucks (before the freeze), I don't imagine next month's will be that much higher.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I was going to post about the turning point for Texas finally becoming blue but I realised that in this context it may be considered distasteful.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Deregulated corporations are really good at siphoning up a shitload of money without necessarily providing an equivalent return in value or service to the public?

I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
So that's, like... (vague Googling and intense calculatoring) $20 per month, per household.

That sounds about like what I'd expect.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
For all three of those, it's extremely rare for anyone to shop around. More often, people skip a medical procedure, schooling, or have their utilities shut off rather than just find a better deal.

Not unless they're connected to a battery system. When the solar panel controller detects that the power line from the utility isn't able to send power to the house, the solar panel has to stop running or else it's going to feed electricity back into an inactive grid. They have this safety feature built in so that lineworkers don't get electrocuted when working on downed power lines.

So you would need basically one of those $7,000 power wall things for your panels to do anything during a power outage. I guess you would also need to go up there periodically to brush off the snow.

Combine solar with a battery like the power wall and you can completely disconnect from the grid.

Houses like that essentially run off the battery all the time. Solar recharges the battery.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Shocked. Moving to private will cut prices early on but eventually markets will be cornered and prices will go up. And at this point companies are already enormous and up starters can't compete with them with prices.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Texan voter: "I nearly froze to death and have been paying thousands more a year than I should for energy"

The rest of the country: "You could vote Democrat and better your life"

Texan vote: "AOC IS THE DEVIL WINDMILLS FROZE MAGA"

History will keep repeating itself in Texas for a few more years at least. Never underestimate the sheer staggering stupidity of GOP voters.

Kwhit10

Oct 27, 2017
So you would need basically one of those $7,000 power wall things for your panels to do anything during a power outage. I guess you would also need to go up there periodically to brush off the snow.

If your roof is steep enough you don't need to brush off snow. Brushing of snow is actually not recommended as you are more likely to damage your panels. At least here in the northeast. The snow just falls off my panels on their own. I've never had snow on them more than a day after it snowed by doing nothing.

But yea they'd need an expensive battery for when power goes out. With the infrequency we lose power it's just more economical to have a gas/LP powered generator.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I mean yeah the results of privatisation were predictable but why can't this information be effectively communicated to Republican voters? These people are obsessed with paying lower taxes but apparently perfectly okay with higher bills. It makes no damn sense.
Think about how many relatively poor people donated huge sums to Trump, a guy who's entire claim to fame is being rich.

It's not about savvy spending, it's about maintaining a system where personal value is determined by personal wealth. These people believe that the world is an infallible meritocracy and virtue is rewarded by the "invisible hand" (of either the market or God).

So, in their minds, the government is evil, because it takes money from "good" rich people in the form of taxes and gives it to "bad" poor people in the form of services. It's a profoundly fucked up worldview.