• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bulgowski

Apr 8, 2022
Not American but it makes me sick to see what is happening in the US public education system. While not currently working in the field, my background is in education and one of the main shared professional values we have to uphold is a promotion of critical literacy and advocating for social justice and equity. To see that co-opted by white supremacist propaganda and disinformation just makes me so disgusted and infuriated (and gives me a lot of anxiety of this trickling over into my country).

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I swear that Boondocks Uncle Rukus slavery scene is exactly how most of these fuckers think it was like.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Texas drives the textbook market. Here's the original NPR article, but the terrible way the American textbook industry reckons (or not) with slavery is an open secret. Everyone should read James Loewen's book Lies My Teacher Told Me.
how does that shit hole texas drive the textbook market more than california? we have more people and more kids. california should be wielding their fucking power more if that's the case.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Taking down racist statues is "erasing history", but not stuff like this. Got it.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This shit and other changes to how slavery is taught is the ultimate whitewashing of American history.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So are lynchings considered to be "involuntary neck lengthening"? Or the Tulsa Massacre a "violent disagreement"?

The people who came up with this are the same ones who would immediately claim not to be racist while doing/saying something racist.
No, no, no.

Lynching is "citizen's justice" and the Tulsa Massacre was "the Tulsa Rebellion" or alternatively "Defending against White Genocide"

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone should listen to Rage Against the Machine these days. More relevant than ever and the energy needed right now.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about the USA, but is it correct this amount of German immigrants?

Anecdotally, I think most white people I've spoken to about their ancestry report at least some amount of German, to the point that it almost feels like the "default."

Including myself in this; my paternal grandmother came from a German family.

EDIT: Should add that I've lived in the Upper Midwest all my life, there's definitely a regional bias.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I'm so fucked up as an adult and it's all because hearing the word slavery to describe slavery scarred me for life as a child.

Hearing the words "baby murder" to describe abortion went over well enough though.

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
Speaking as a Texas teacher, fuck these "educators" and this shit hole of a state. I can't get get my Master's and get out of here any faster...

The thing is Texas is so big that they influence the content of many education publishers. Don't be surprised if you see these views in other states. Fortunately California is slightly bigger so their required content also has an influence on publishers.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is Texas is so big that they influence the content of many education publishers. Don't be surprised if you see these views in other states. Fortunately California is slightly bigger so their required content also has an influence on publishers.

I'm getting my Master's in Curriculum and Instruction so that ideally I can get into content development and do my little part in preventing that, but I also know that realistically I'm just one person and money talks.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I remember my American History teacher in middle school pass out these types of "books" to the class. He then talked about how America wants us to forget black history, but he wasn't. So, he passed out another book that he paid with his own money and told us that he's forced to pass the text book that "erase" black history language, but he's going to teach us out of the books that talked about true American history.

He was able to do this for 10 years until the school boards kicked him out. Still have that book he gave us in my library.