• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
A group of Texas educators have proposed to the Texas State Board of Education that slavery should be taught as "involuntary relocation" during second grade social studies instruction but board members have asked them to reconsider the phrasing, according to the state board's chairman.

"The board -- with unanimous consent -- directed the work group to revisit that specific language," Keven Ellis, chair of the Texas State Board of Education said in a statement issued late Thursday.

The working group of nine educators, including a professor at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, is one of many such groups advising the state education board to make curriculum changes. This summer, the board will consider updates to social studies instruction a year after lawmakers passed a law to keep topics that make students "feel discomfort" out of Texas classrooms. The board will have a final vote on the curriculum in November.

www.texastribune.org

State education board members push back on proposal to use “involuntary relocation” to describe slavery

The Texas State Board of Education is fielding proposals to update the state’s public school social studies curriculum this summer.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking as a Texas teacher, fuck these "educators" and this shit hole of a state. I can't get get my Master's and get out of here any faster...

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Texas man. Every other teacher and school is busy trying to be more inclusive and responsive, meanwhile Texas does this shit.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
ab4328fe-166c-4687-b431-576a1caa3bad_text.gif

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I was an interview away from becoming a public school teacher in Texas. Thank God we decided to leave instead.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. It reads to me like the board are against the "involuntary relocation" term that's popped up in a draft of the curriculum. They're not the ones in favor of it. Am I reading that right?

"The board -- with unanimous consent -- directed the work group to revisit that specific language," Keven Ellis, chair of the Texas State Board of Education said in a statement issued late Thursday.

The working group of nine educators, including a professor at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, is one of many such groups advising the state education board to make curriculum changes. This summer, the board will consider updates to social studies instruction a year after lawmakers passed a law to keep topics that make students "feel discomfort" out of Texas classrooms. The board will have a final vote on the curriculum in November.

The suggested change surfaced late during its June 15 meeting that lasted more than 12 hours. Board member Aicha Davis, a Democrat who represents Dallas and Fort Worth, brought up concerns to the board saying that it wasn't a "fair representation" of the slave trade. The board, upon reading the language in the suggested curriculum, sent the working draft back for revision. "For K-2, carefully examine the language used to describe events, specifically the term "involuntary relocation."

"I can't say what their intention was, but that's not going to be acceptable," Davis told The Texas Tribune on Thursday.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is your relocation paid for, but you're given a job the second you arrive? Truly the American dream. Burn it all down.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
"Workers from Africa"

Is that what we're calling them these days? I assume this is a textbook from Texas or some other state like that?
Yeah. Texas drives the textbook market. Here's the original NPR article, but the terrible way the American textbook industry reckons (or not) with slavery is an open secret. Everyone should read James Loewen's book Lies My Teacher Told Me.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm pretty sure I don't remember learning about slavery in second grade. Is this newer?

Edit: Thanks for the clarity. I did indeed not read the entire article. Results of scrolling while I should be working...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I don't remember learning about slavery in second grade. Is this newer?

"The topic of slavery is not currently addressed in the 2nd Grade curriculum; this work is meant to address that deficiency," he said.

Basically the state board of education wants slavery to be taught in some capacity in 2nd grade. This group comes around suggesting a curriculum that for Kindergarten through second grade slavery be referred to as "involuntary relocation" and the state board of education sent the curriculum back to be revised, including not using the term.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I'm confused. It reads to me like the board are against the "involuntary relocation" term that's popped up in a draft of the curriculum. They're not the ones in favor of it. Am I reading that right?
Yeah, this makes it sound like the educators are commenting on (and disapproving of) language that was used in new curriculum proposed to them by lawmakers. Maybe I'm misreading that.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this makes it sound like the educators are commenting on (and disapproving of) language that was used in new curriculum proposed to them by lawmakers. Maybe I'm misreading that.

Yeah I figured it out. There's the people pushing the curriculum, and the board of education that sent it back for revision because they don't like that term.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I know nothing about the USA, but is it correct this amount of German immigrants?

That is correct.
German Americans are the largest of the self-reported ancestry groups.
They brought kindergartens, christmas trees, hot dogs and hamburger to the US.

But those 2 world wars "hindered" them to be in the "spotlight", like the irish or italian.

I have to say Texas is a scary place...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why is Texas so assbackwards? The powers that be obviously.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
So are lynchings considered to be "involuntary neck lengthening"? Or the Tulsa Massacre a "violent disagreement"?

The people who came up with this are the same ones who would immediately claim not to be racist while doing/saying something racist.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I know nothing about the USA, but is it correct this amount of German immigrants?

Yes and no. The US population does have a lot of German ancestry, but probably not as much as English. But a lot of people select "American" as their ancestry, when they could be considered English or British, so English ancestry is probably underreported a lot of places.