• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The physician tested positive for the virus in early July and died on 19 September after spending over two months in hospital. She had worked in a Houston emergency department, and a family member says she reused personal protective equipment (PPE) day after day due to shortages.

Fagan is one of over 250 medical staff who died in southern and western hotspot states as the virus surged there over the summer, according to reporting by the Guardian and Kaiser Health News as part of Lost on the Frontline, a project to track every US healthcare worker death. In Texas, nine medical deaths in April soared to 33 in July, after Governor Greg Abbott hastily pushed to reopen the state for business and then reversed course.

It is unclear how Fagan contracted coronavirus, but to Maureen it seemed linked to her July rotation in the ER. HCA West is part of HCA Healthcare – the country's largest hospital chain – and in recent months a national nurses union has complained of its "willful violation" of workplace safety protocols, including pushing infected staff to continue clocking in.

Amid national shortages, Maureen said her sister faced a particular challenge with PPE. "Adeline had an N95 mask and had her name written on it," she said. "Adeline wore the same N95 for weeks and weeks, if not months and months."

His daughter had suffered a massive brain haemorrhage, possibly because her vascular system had been weakened by the virus. Patients on ECMO also take high doses of blood thinners to prevent clots.

A neurosurgeon said that even on the remote chance Fagan survived surgery, she would be profoundly brain damaged.

"We spent the remaining minutes hugging, comforting and talking to Adeline," Brant wrote.

"And then the world stopped …"

www.theguardian.com

Texas doctor, 28, dies of Covid: 'She wore the same mask for weeks, if not months'

Adeline Fagan tested positive in early July and died in September – one of more than a dozen health workers to have died from the virus

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing people my age or younger dying scares the living fuck out of me, what the fuck was that thread about scientists encouraging young people to build herd immunity?

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
What a fucking shame, this administration's ability to allocate resources to our health professionals. Man was just out of med school and is already dead.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
Don't want to be that guy (it's a terrible loss regardless), but young people dying is the exception and not the norm based on survival stats

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf, how can there still be shortages? Shouldn't factories make those masks 24/7 nonstop? Trump is constantly boasting about how many ventilators they've manufactured, but what about masks?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to be that guy (it's a terrible loss regardless), but young people dying is the exception and not the norm based on survival stats

Yeah but this thread is about young doctors who bravely work in the frontlines and die for this stupid pandemic that could have been prevented if our leaders weren't dipshits

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Trump fucked over healthcare workers so bad. He needs to rot in hell for this among many other things.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking outrageous how our doctors and nurses are reusing their PPE like this. This is fucking awful.

Trump and his sycophants deserve to rot for this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
For some further perspective, n95s are really supposed to be one time use only. But here we are, reusing them and other PPE for months at a time... still.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's disgusting. This person could have saved and helped so many people, but instead dies early because of the fucking ghouls running the country.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man....just thinking about that dad and her daughter. No parent should have to see that.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still using the same N95 since July with a regular facemask on top that I change daily. I'm still unable to get anymore from my employer. Some people are just resorting to doubling up on surgical masks. Others just spent money on respirators with capable filters, but these still have to be modified to cover the exhaust port (to prevent exhaled breaths from leaving).

Edit.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still using the same N95 since July with a regular facemask on top that I change daily. I'm still unable to get anymore from my employer. Some people are just resorting to doubling up on surgical masks. Others just spent money on respirators with capable filters.

I feel like there are hospitals with insane amounts just sitting. Seems like a distribution problem just waiting to be solved.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017

I think the majority of people are aware that most young people (under 30 especially) survive COVID. The problem is to act like young people can't be affected at all or they should just go about there normal lives like nothing is happening. Young people seem to spread the disease just as much if not more than other age groups.

Anyway. it's a terrible shame that healthcare workers on the frontlines are also succumbing to it. These people are heroes and it's unbelievable that so many have had to work without the proper protective equipment.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I read about this poor girl a couple of weeks ago. It's fucking tragic. How do we fail this badly as a country?

That's a rhetorical question. I know how.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017

and yet here we are with your terrible post for all to see. As a healthcare worker, I ask that you please see yourself out and don't come back. These kind of takes are not wanted or useful to the conversation.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Don't want to be that guy, but coronavirus can kill you and you wouldn't know until it kills you, so you should follow all applicable guidelines and safe practices instead of assuming your age is 100% useful as a barometer of whether or not coronavirus will kill you.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame on the fucking hospital. Forcing workers to clock in sick... having them reuse PPE? Yet another death that could have been avoided if proper protocol was taken to protect workers.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Don't want to be that guy, but coronavirus can kill you and you wouldn't know until it kills you, so you should follow all applicable guidelines and safe practices instead of assuming your age is 100% useful as a barometer of whether or not coronavirus will kill you.
Ok? The point of this was our country sucks so much we don't even get our hospitals and clinics supplied with equipment.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Shame on the fucking hospital. Forcing workers to clock in sick... having them reuse PPE? Yet another death that could have been avoided if proper protocol was taken to protect workers.

There have been lots of stories of hospitals lacking PPE. Here in Seattle where the pandemic epicenter was, hospitals were taking PPE donations from the public. ICU nurses were reusing masks, definitely. Even in NY when it was bad around there.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I won't pile on more than others (rightfully) have, but it's absolutely insane that we are a first world country that doesn't provide a baseline of medical for its populace nor proper equipment for its health workers. But man, that fly over at the start of the pandemic was sooooo inspiring and helpful for healthcare workers. /s obviously.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Seeing people my age or younger dying scares the living fuck out of me, what the fuck was that thread about scientists encouraging young people to build herd immunity?
Actual scientists or economists?

Scares me that those people have platforms. "remember the pandemic ? Just catch it guys, it's ok"

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
These hospitals make boat loads of money not sure why they're not supplying masks for their nurses? I'm in charge of our COVID supplies at my work and just ordered 4000 more masks today. Our supplier has every type of mask in high supply. The people running these hospitals are to blame along with our govt.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It really hits you hard when you realize that medical professionals are being put on the chopping block with increasing odds against them as the second wave arrives (well the first one never really left) and malicious pieces of garbage right wing politicians and right wing influential figures and outlets are propagating anti-mask rhetoric despite new cases hovering around 10s of thousands per day.

And of course, that doesn't even begin to deal with the fuckery of "free market" rhetoric as a way for cities to bid against one another masks and supplies while the brokers and suppliers and other ancillary members participating in this scheme make enormous profits.

RIP that poor nurse.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
My hospital was telling us we can come to work even if we are waiting for covid test results as long as we weren't symptomatic. Fucking ridiculous knowing that asymptomatic people can spread it. They apparently changed that policy starting a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I was using the same N95 for some time with a surgical mask over it for some time before I was able to order them directly from a supplier.

There's not much research on how long you can use a disposable mask for, but you have to assume that anything past a single use is taking some risks in a healthcare setting, and it's tragic that employers across the country were treating staff as expendable.