• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 12, 2021
If it wasn't for my friend, I would have stopped it after about 30 minutes, but she insisted on watching because "it's a horror"... anything but that.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Watch it if you like kills and gore and can tolerate extremely dumb characters. Some of the kill setpieces are legitimately very good so props to the effects people. Also the original score by Colin Stetson is quite good.

When I think about it, all the baseline technical stuff is well done - looks good, sounds good, good kills. But the script is so bad. So so bad.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though this telegraphed 'sticking it to those cancel culture liberals' so heavily, i still somewhat enjoyed it. Kills were fucking brutal, and leatherface was menacing. Still though i DID NOT like one of the story aspects
of the girl being some mass school shooting victim
tie into their story, just felt crass and forced and could have been handled better.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this movie.

The school shooter subplot...handwaving the confederate flag and killing off the only Black characters in the movie...ugh!

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Watch it if you like kills and gore and can tolerate extremely dumb characters. Some of the kill setpieces are legitimately very good so props to the effects people. Also the original score by Colin Stetson is quite good.

When I think about it, all the baseline technical stuff is well done - looks good, sounds good, good kills. But the script is so bad. So so bad.

Yep, I agree. I thought the cinematography was excellent, the kills were good, everyone seemingly did their jobs except for the scriptwriters. I'd love to see what the team behind this could do with even a decent script.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Went in with the lowest exectations (every tcm movie past two has sucked), but I found myself enjoying this. Really dumb and mean spirited affair.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2/3 of the writers are the producers, I wouldn't expect better writing. Doubt the blame falls entirely on the 1 writer that has a chance to be replaced.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% getting a sequel now.

fwiw this just means it's the second most watched movie of that weekend specifically. successful for sure, but not mind blowing. the wording of that tweet might lead people to believe the opening weekend performance made it the second most watched netflix movie overall.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
"Watchable" was my take away. Im not sure I'd call it enjoyable, same with resident evil welcome to raccoon city.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Movie was fun as hell. The writing was terrible, and there was one REALLY stupid situation that I wasn't a fan of that I wish they'd have changed or removed entirely. Mainly everything regarding Sally, but specifically the scene of her just kinda... staring at Leatherface with the shotgun aimed right at him for a solid few minutes and NOT shooting him which was an egregious situational error on the movies part. There was absolutely no reason for her to not have fired that gun, and I'm normally more lenient on plot contrivances than most people.

And I realize it's completely blasphemous to the integrity of the original film, but Leatherface becoming John Wick with a chainsaw whipping the fucking thing around and blocking bullets with it was so hilariously fun, that I genuinely don't care that it doesn't make sense to his character or the intended tone.

Give me a second movie with the same level of set pieces, kills, gore, and action elements, but maybe hire a better writer or scrutinize the writing a lot more intentfully this time around.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of super chainsaw is Leatherface using that chops peoples heads off with zero resistance?
Or is he just supernaturally powerful now?

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This movie is dumb as fuck lmao. That shit with Sally had me crying. She was like "look at me you trick bitch, I'm bout to fuck you up" while she's pointing the shotty at him.

Leatherface picked up the chainsaw like
lebron-james-walk-away.gif

"Scuse me, do you mind if i get by you"
Lmfaoo.

Last edited:

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
This movie is dumb as fuck lmao. That shit with Sally had me crying. She was like "look at me you trick bitch, I'm bout to fuck you up" while she's pointing the shotty at him.

Lmfaoo.

This. I can excuse a lot of dumb decisions in horror movies, but sometimes it gets so freaking ridiculous I simply can not go with it. Try to come up with better ways to let the killer escape than sheer stupidity of the normal people, hollywood writers.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This. I can excuse a lot of dumb decisions in horror movies, but sometimes it gets so freaking ridiculous I simply can not go with it. Try to come up with better ways to let the killer escape than sheer stupidity of the normal people, hollywood writers.

The fact that she let him walk passed her, all the way out that big ass house and then all the way the down the street. then waited for him to break in the car before she actually shot him had me rolling my eyes so hard.

You waited 50 years and then u just let the mf walk beside you and go for a stroll!??? WHAT!? This movie can't be serious.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Exactly. Then again the entire attempt at bringing that character back, without the original actress is dumb in the first place.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I re-watched the original last night and then this very insightful review on Letterboxd

boxd.it

A ★★★★★ review of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

"You'd probably like it if you didn't know what was in it." Horror is derived, ultimately, from the unknown. Your fears are rooted in a fear of death, even when they are irrational phobias; ultimately, the core of fear is that something will somehow harm you. Harm leads to death, which leads to...

Just shows me how much the people making this movie didn't understand the original at all.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Movie was so bad that my friends and I stopped halfway through. I skipped around to the kills, and then then I was bored to tears.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Requels can work. But the creative team behind them has to actual respect what came before.

Agreed, but even then it always feels like the creative team is just trying to copy what made the original work. It's just another Hollywood trend to cash grab on nostalgia that has been popular for the past few years. I honestly can't think of one I enjoyed?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Agreed, but even then it always feels like the creative team is just trying to copy what made the original work. It's just another Hollywood trend to cash grab on nostalgia that has been popular for the past few years. I honestly can't think of one I enjoyed?
I've enjoyed some, but I agree that it is selling your nostalgia to you.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed some, but I agree that it is selling your nostalgia to you.

The only one that I liked that had its own unique voice was Creed. If that is even considered a requel? It even took Stallone to places he hasn't been before. It was a perfect example of using someone else's sandbox and making it your own. Man, Coogler knocked that out of the park.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The only one that I liked that had its own unique voice was Creed. If that is even considered a requel? It even took Stallone to places he hasn't been before. It was a perfect example of using someone else's sandbox and making it your own. Man, Coogler knocked that out of the park.
It's a requel. It continues the story of a movie world long since done. But yeah Creed flips everything around and gives Sly his most juiciest acting since Rocky Balboa (another requel I like) and even surpasses that.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017

Lmfaoo.

He would have just shrugged those shots off anyway

The dumbest part of the movie has to be whatever curly hair girl did with that chainsaw right at the end. What the hell kind of move was that?

Also Leatherface must have held his breath in that pool for a while

Movie is cheeks

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This also might have the dumbest "I should be dead by all accounts but I'm inexplicably still able to do one more thing before I keel over" scene in horror history that is played completely straight.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I usually just shrug off bad horror movies but I greatly disliked so much about it. I think this is where I leave this franchise behind for good. I'll be sure to look up the director as well and actively avoid their work in the future.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Watched it. Sally should have been the main character. They really dropped the ball on her.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
This also might have the dumbest "I should be dead by all accounts but I'm inexplicably still able to do one more thing before I keel over" scene in horror history that is played completely straight.
Absolutely not, the whole time during his "death" scene I'm just mentally screaming at them to cut off his head. Anyone could see he was gonna come back. This is why people root for the baddies, the protagonists are so dumb and never finish the job.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Movie was trash, but I knew going in it was gonna be trash so I was able to enjoy it for what it was. Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been trash for a long time so I wasn't really surprised. It was poorly written but had a couple of good death scenes, which is about all I expect from this franchise

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Movie was very well directed in all fairness was watchable for something that landed directly on Netflix I'd imagine that gives the movie a more easier response from people because your not paying directly to see it haha

The 2003 remake is still the best one since the original imo that movie just looks gorgeous in a gothic horror way
I wish they would film one in Texas again though

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
fwiw this just means it's the second most watched movie of that weekend specifically. successful for sure, but not mind blowing. the wording of that tweet might lead people to believe the opening weekend performance made it the second most watched netflix movie overall.

It's a low budget horror film, Netflix likely didn't pay much for it either with all the bad word of mouth behind it and it's production. They got a cheap hit out of this.

I don't think Texas "do your thing cuz" 3D got a sequel did it?

The prequel Leatherface was supposedly set in the same "universe". Theres one character from both films in Leatherface.

What kind of super chainsaw is Leatherface using that chops peoples heads off with zero resistance?
Or is he just supernaturally powerful now?

When he's cutting through the entire floor of the house, including the massive support beams which give zero resistance to the chainsaw.