• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
JDRNXR6RORGO5PR3OIAN3XCX34.jpg

Thousands of families — including some who waited nearly 12 hours — turned out Saturday at the usually empty grounds of Fair Park for the North Texas Food Bank's fifth and largest mega-distribution of food during the coronavirus pandemic.

During Saturday's Thanksgiving-themed distribution, organized with help from such food bank partners as Fair Park First, Spectra and other groups, the agency handed out food to some 8,500 families. Before the pandemic, holiday giveaways would typically serve about 500 families.

Since mid-March, the food bank has given out about 70.8 million pounds of food, according to the agency's data. Food stocks come from individual donations and from grocers, farmers, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and more.

Castillo, 28, and his stepsons camped overnight in his car and were at the front of one of the lines — a far cry from one of the food bank's summer distributions at Fair Park, when Castillo came and was greeted by long lines.

The Belize native said he got to Fair Park's Gate 2 about 9 p.m. Friday and decided that they would wait it out.

"My phone is broken, so I told my wife, 'If I don't show up, don't think the worst. It's probably because I'm in line,'" Castillo said

Source

So, for my first thread, I decided to shamelessly steal the title from a Reddit post as I couldn't come up with something better.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the world we are currently living in, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and we are all dumber. Even here in Italy a country with a decent social security net, there are stories about people only able to afford pasta and rice for months, no fruit, no milk, forget the meat only pasta and rice ... Food and house insecurity are up in Italy, France and I would say most part of the EU.

What is scarier than COVID? Hungry and unemployed people with nothing to lose. 2021 will be the year of inequality.

Tax the billionaire and close the thread if old

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Thanks obama.

This is heart breaking. Yet, they voted for this. Gobsmacking.

edit:

They, as in all of the republicans who are also dirt poor voted for this, who are also suffering from food insecurity.

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
There's a point where everyone eventually realises that capitalism isn't there to help them or they die believing it is.

Too many people in too many countries have been conditioned to believe capitalism and billionaires should exist.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
And they (republicans) voted for more of this.

The mind baffles.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
When you voluntarily opt for Feudalism by a different name because someone said it is not and smells a lot sweeter almost every waking moment of your life by way of FOX NEWS etc.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's a bread line but it's a capitalist bread line, god dammit. USA!

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
That's what happens when people continue to vote Republican & keeps voting against their best interests. The Republican/GOP party couldn't care less about anybody.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Can we stop doing this shit? The poor black/brown people who are hit the worst with this are the least likely to vote Republican.

No? Because a lot of trump supporters are also in the same lines. Clearly it affects everyone. But people literally voted for this, there is nothing wrong with that statement. More people literally voted for this, than the people that didn't.

That is the problem. Republicans voting against their own fucking interests to take everyone down with them because they think they are going to be the 1% one day, or that foodstamps are only for black people. That image is a wake up call to the republican reality.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
On the plus side, all the William Gibson novels I read are feeling more accurate by the day.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Dat precariat class. While Joe Biden is off in fantasy land using decaying terms like "middle class" we have a fucking mountain of poor people here which only grows by the week.

Talking about reality now is a third rail in politics. Everything this pandemic will do, climate and automation will also do. All we seem to do as Americans is just the American Way: normalize all of the misery and suffering as "The New Normal."

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No? Because a lot of trump supporters are also in the same lines. Clearly it affects everyone. But people literally voted for this, there is nothing wrong with that statement. More people literally voted for this, than the people that didn't.

That is the problem. Republicans voting against their own fucking interests to take everyone down with them because they think they are going to be the 1% one day, or that foodstamps are only for black people. That image is a wake up call to the republican reality.
....if the people are in that line then they don't need the wake up call, they are living it.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure the majority of Texans in this line probably didn't vote for Trump. But this line of thought is extremely unhelpful and toxic anyway. No one should be this in need of food in this country period.

Unhelpful is voting for trump. Which is why Texas is a red state. My words on the internet aren't really causing people to vote against their own interests. Im talking about the people that voted for it, which is clearly a subset of the population of texas. Its not like trumpers aren't also in the lines, and don't use foodstamps.

....if the people are in that line then they don't need the wake up call, they are living it.

I agree, but they will sneer at the black people also in the line for getting "handouts"

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You think everyone in that line is a poor black/brown person? With those cars? LOL.

I didn't say that. I said they're the hardest hit by stuff like this.

Also, having a nice car doesn't mean you can't be poor. This is only a few steps removed from "they have nice fridges/TVs."

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Thanks for combining every single Texan into a vague "they" to imply we all deserve it.

Its not vague. Its specific, as per the electoral college. They, turned a state red. They, voted for this. They, are shooting themselves in the foot but are happy to see others suffer. If you didn't vote for trump, you aren't they.

Im beyond sure that trump supporters who also use foodstamps are broke just like everyone else is. Yet, they voted for 4 more years of this.

its not like poor GOP folks are getting trump checks and everyone else isn't.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unhelpful is voting for trump. Which is why Texas is a red state. My words on the internet aren't really causing people to vote against their own interests. Im talking about the people that voted for it, which is clearly a subset of the population of texas. Its not like trumpers aren't also in the lines, and don't use foodstamps.

I agree, but they will sneer at the black people also in the line for getting "handouts"
Who gives a shit if it's a red state? Millions of people vote Democrat in every single red state. Millions of people can't even vote because of disenfranchisement of various forms. "They voted for this" is both untrue for many of these people and an extremely myopic and cynical view of food insecurity in the US. It's a dumbass statement

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those shitty terrible "yet they voted for Trump" are the same as this shit.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Thanks obama.

This is heart breaking. Yet, they voted for this. Gobsmacking.
Bigotry is a hell of a drug.

Unfuckingbelievable that you people dare to have takes like this. Did you know that every major city in Texas went for Biden? Do you think people most likely to be in a giant car line for food in the city would be voting for Trump or GOP policies despite their repeat disdain for poor people, city people, and minorities?

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that. I said they're the hardest hit by stuff like this.

Also, having a nice car doesn't mean you aren't poor. This is only a few steps removed from "they have nice fridges/TVs."

They are and that changes what exactly about people voting for this? Obviously everyone in that line didn't vote for this but that's *always* the case.

*shrug* given the topic most of these people *weren't* poor to begin with and are only hit because of corona. (Or at least not so poor they needed to go to a food bank).

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Who gives a shit if it's a red state? Millions of people vote Democrat in every single red state. Millions of people can't even vote because of disenfranchisement of various forms. "They voted for this" is both untrue for many of these people and an extremely myopic and cynical view of food insecurity in the US. It's a dumbass statement

Republicans with food insecurities voted in texas to keep it going. Those that didn't, clearly aren't part of the 'they' that voted for it. White people use government assistance just as much as black people do, but they think they are different.

Nov 18, 2020
Its not vague. Its specific, as per the electoral college. They, turned a state red. They, voted for this. They, are shooting themselves in the foot but are happy to see others suffer. If you didn't vote for trump, you aren't they.

Im beyond sure that trump supporters who also use foodstamps are broke just like everyone else is. Yet, they voted for 4 more years of this.

It's an interesting quagmire, because Republicans are so wrapped up in finger-blaming mythical enemies (dirty illegals, Muslim terrorists, deep state, pedophile Biden, rigged elections, evil communism) they don't see their wealth stolen right under their nose. They suffer from immense food insecurity, especially in cash-poor Red states, and yet simultaneously shun the policies that could help them, especially during a pandemic where jobs are scarce and salaries are depressed.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Fucking nauseating to see people starving and thinking it's an appropriate response to mock them for their state turning red.

I guess because Georgia broke for Biden by a couple of thousand votes they are in the clear and can be venerated instead.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

So you come into a thread about Dallasites struggling for food and you want to say well the rest of the state voted for Trump so the Dallasites deserve it.
fdLYumb.jpg

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans with food insecurities voted in texas to keep it going. Those that didn't, clearly aren't part of the 'they' that voted for it. White people use government assistance just as much as black people do, but they think they are different.
OK, that doesn't make your statement any less stupid. I mean shit you could've just said "Republicans voted for this"

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do you think people most likely to be in a giant car line for food in the city would be voting for Trump or GOP policies despite their repeat disdain for poor people, city people, and minorities?
"Most likely"? Probably not. Among them? Definitely.

Trumpers are the biggest hypocrites you can meet. I'm obviously not talking about Biden voters.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So you come into a thread about Dallasites struggling for food and you want to say well the rest of the state voted for Trump so the Dallasites deserve it.
fdLYumb.jpg

At no point did I say it deserves it.

OK, that doesn't make your statement any less stupid. I mean shit you could've just said "Republicans voted for this"

Isn't that inherent considering there were people that did not vote for trump in texas? Its the same story across america. The entire population is suffering, and republicans are voting for more of it. The state is red, that is an approval of trump yet they are JUST AS BROKE as dallas, specifically, and every other county across the nation.