• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I've said it earlier but opening the game in Kalm with the Sephiroth flashback will really show how evil he is. I think that will be a huge starting point if they go with it and I think that's something huge they missed with the final boss. He just appeared and did things which gave new players no reason to care.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as each part is worth the money. I do have a feeling that probably means no open world at least until we get the air ship though

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're just going to write off all the storytelling in VII as 'nonsense' then sure, there's no point in talking anymore about it
I'm not writing it off as nonsense... I'm contextualizing it. It's a great, fun story, but the context is that "time travel" is no more "out there" than anything in the original.

If you're going to dishonestly frame it like that other poster is, though, you're right that there is no point.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I am guessing two substantial episodes and 1 shorter (cheaper priced) bridge episode.

I think we get a substantial episode in about three years and then the final episode will be at the end of the PS5/XSX with a bridge / recap episode between the two since that will be a long wait.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Is this disappointing to those that really loved the ending?

I kept hearing the reason why the ending is great is because from now on, we have no idea what to expect from the story and that is really exciting.

Now it seems to be confirmed that it will largely be the same.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Am I the only one who doesn't really need it to be open world? I'd rather they focus on the tight story telling, beautiful character models and animations, and pretty environments over freedom of movement.

Linear game design has real upsides, and I think it worked perfectly for this game.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Kitase, Nomura, etc all said that they wanted to create the remake before they got too old.

In that case I don't think this goes beyond 4 games. I think part 2 will be substantially larger than people expect (90-100 hours).

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Faster to develop smaller major moments with 40 hours of added low-effort filler quests.

We know that's how AAA development runs.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not writing it off as nonsense... I'm contextualizing it. It's a great, fun story, but the context is that "time travel" is no more "out there" than anything in the original.

If you're going to dishonestly frame it like that other poster is, though, you're right that there is no point.

Nah, those posters are on point.Time travel KH fan fiction nonsense doesn't fit. It's not a dishonest framing, I wanted this to be a home run but it didn't hit it for me because of the bloat at the end.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I kept hearing the reason why the ending is great is because from now on, we have no idea what to expect from the story and that is really exciting.

I've not heard that said much about the ending, honestly. I've heard that the same journey across the same beats with some changes o make it feel fresh instead of a 1:1 is something to be excited for, though.

From what I gathered, it was a minority who thought this would mean the game would go off the rails into drastic new territory.

Nah, those posters are on point.Time travel KH fan fiction nonsense doesn't fit. It's not a dishonest framing, I wanted this to be a home run but it didn't hit it for me because of the bloat at the end.
Na, they're not.

You're doing what they are, arbitrarily pulling time travel aside, because you're bitter about the ending.

Most people liked/loved the ending, so it landed more than it didn't, btw.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't really need it to be open world? I'd rather they focus on the tight story telling, beautiful character models and animations, and pretty environments over freedom of movement.

Linear game design has real upsides, and I think it worked perfectly for this game.

Agreed. I've really gotten tired of open world's in general and I can't really say that I've missed world maps in jrpgs either.

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, not every game has to be open world.

I mean what people want is mainly being able to explore and to sidequests. Look at the most critically acclaimed recent JRPGs : most of them didn't have open worlds

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Open world doesn't really fit the narrative of the original, neither fits how the actual world geography was built, so open world can't work unless they significantly alter the world map.

So yeah, make it linear. But linear not linear bad as FFXIII.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've not heard that said much about the ending, honestly. I've heard that the same journey across the same beats with some changes o make it feel fresh instead of a 1:1 is something to be excited for, though.

From what I gathered, it was a minority who thought this would mean the game would go off the rails into drastic new territory.

Na, they're not.

You're doing what they are, arbitrarily pulling time travel aside, because you're bitter about the ending.

Most people liked/loved the ending, so it landed more than it didn't, btw.

Yes, I'm sure most people loved the ending. Majority of people saw nothing wrong with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

In a perfect world it would be a game of town hubs and large zones like FFXII, but even that's a lot these days. I'm also fine with (mostly) linear.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

it was never going to change a ton. The unknown journey comes from the fact things are possible that weren't in OG. It's still the same quest and SE's official art of the escape from Midgar showed that a long time ago.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Enjoy it, but it's not for me. And I'm not bitter. I just wanted a game from my childhood to be a faithful recreation because it was marketed that way for years. I'm not a fan of media pulling a fast one because PR can't just be upfront. Square should have just rebooted the game and left out the weird bloated ending.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
So? Time travel shows up in a lot of media that doesn't explicitly say WE HAVE TIME TRAVEL in the name. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I ain't gonna sit there and complain that it doesn't fit in Final Fantasy VII until they've at least had a chance to fuck it up first.
I think this is the best way to approach it really. Time travel plot points can definitely work, but at this point we have absolutely no idea how FF VII R will implement it. Everybody is merely guessing at this point. It's perfectly fine to speculate, but a lot of it seems to be needless shitposting 'because time travel sucks'. Basically what many are saying is 'this is my theory and it would be so bad if they did that'. Nobody has the facts, everybody is guessing.

Unless of course some people in here actually are time travelers and have played all the parts, which would be quite ironic indeed.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy it, but it's not for me. And I'm not bitter. I just wanted a game from my childhood to be a faithful recreation because it was marketed that way for years. I'm not a fan of media pulling a fast one because PR can't just be upfront. Square should have just rebooted the game and left out the weird bloated ending.
Disagree, if they had done a 1:1 it would have felt pointless to me. This is far more interesting.

The only thing that is bumming me out is the time it might take because I'm impatient.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, not every game has to be open world.

I mean what people want is mainly being able to explore and to sidequests. Look at the most critically acclaimed recent JRPGs : most of them didn't have open worlds
I think expecting open world from a remake of an jrpg with a world map is quite far away from the now repeated "(not) every game has to be open world".

I say this as someone who didn't even mind the corridor which was ff13.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, the subversion does not work unless you are fully committed to it.

What's the point of a clever metanarrative about fighting with the needs and pleas of original fans about a faithful recreation of the original if you are going to follow exactly the major story beats?

The whole 'is different...but the same....but different' feels more like a middle ground marketing that an honest attempt to create something genuine like dealing or cope with the depression and your life work like in the case of the Rebuild of Evangelion.

Last edited:

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the best way to approach it really. Time travel plot points can definitely work, but at this point we have absolutely no idea how FF VII R will implement it. Everybody is merely guessing at this point. It's perfectly fine to speculate, but a lot of it seems to be needless shitposting 'because time travel sucks'. Basically what many are saying is 'this is my theory and it would be so bad if they did that'. Nobody has the facts, everybody is guessing.

Unless of course some people in here actually are time travelers and have played all the parts, which would be quite ironic indeed.

It's possible they do it well. Time travel in Nomura's other property was distinctly not, and time travel as a concept fits FF7 less so than KH, so I think it's fair people aren't optimistic.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Not really because it's always the reasonable expectation that the game would be remain mostly the same or expanded.

Why? Because that's exactly what happened in this game.

Personally I think the only big change is what's going to happened to Aerith at the end, and the REALLY big changes would be in the final act of the story.

Oct 27, 2017
I think expecting open world from a remake of an jrpg with a world map is quite far away from the now repeated "(not) every game has to be open world".

I say this as someone who didn't even mind the corridor which was ff13.
The only things the map added was a handful of not-so-secret locations and to simulate travel between locations, which is a relic from the past, as a shortcut to represent the vastness of the world, far from being an actual and well made open world like the ones you would find in the Xenoblade series.

The dev team is not obligated to keep it, as they did with the battle system. They can of course adapt it. I can see it being a FFX-style world map for example. It would even allow new sidequests to find hidden locales.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

I agree to a point. It doesn't have to be open world until you get the Highwind or Gold Chocobo. At that point it's going to have to be open world or they're going to have to figure something out. I wouldn't mind a world map in the old style if it comes to it. But the Tiny Bronco, other Chocobos etc., doesn't need an open world.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I noted that the first couple of trailers were identical to the finished products cutscenes in another thread, so they definitely kept a lot of things intact that they did in the final product. CyberConnect were probably just overwhelmed with the demands/time milestones of S-E management (the FF series has burned through more directors than any other big IP series I have ever seen, after all). I think it could also be Nomura being a perfectionist and wanting it to move more internally so he could direct more of the game (since CC2 are based in Fukuoka which is a long way from Tokyo where S-E Japan dev are mainly based).
They only kept the general storyboarding and staging, based on that one gameplay trailer. Everything else was changed.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
'Everything being changed' is pure speculation still WRT CC2. From what I could tell it sounds like they 'kept' most of that stuff, but they would still have had a tough time developing momentum with an internal team taking over the project as well as resolving whatever technical debt they incurred.

The final product still seems to have the basic idea that the 2015 one did, animations and style of combat and such.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Can you also add the tweet of Kitase saying in the Ultimania that the parts aren't going to deviate too far from the original events, so we can get people to stop exasperatedly sharing Fanfiction? It's been tiring in the threads, and I was hoping it could be on the front of something so some people can cool their jets.

This statement confuses me now.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disagree, if they had done a 1:1 it would have felt pointless to me. This is far more interesting.

The only thing that is bumming me out is the time it might take because I'm impatient.
I agree with you in that I personally prefer the direction of things to make them more interesting but generally I'm also pretty understanding of the emotional reaction and fears that come along with it. The ending was a bold move so people worried about it are completely fair in my eyes. It's a weirder and harder goal line they made for themselves.

Although I do think there are some bad faith arguments/people that were actively rooting against the game I kinda roll my eyes at.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Are you guys discussing here spoilers for the entire game or just first part of remake (2020)? Should i stay clear of this thread if i played just this year's game?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you in that I personally prefer the direction of things to make them more interesting but generally I'm also pretty understanding of the emotional reaction and fears that come along with it. The ending was a bold move so people worried about it is completely fair. It's a weirder and harder goal line they made for themselves.

Although I do think there are some bad faith arguments/people that were actively rooting against the game I kinda roll my eyes at.
I fully get the reaction against change, especially when time travel does open up a lot of potential bullshit.

The idea that the concept of time travel jumps the shark in the context of this OTT sci-fi/fantasy anime universe, though, is silly.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
These threads would be far more interesting if the pro side was willing to give an atom of justification to the complaints of the con side instead of crossing their arms and saying, "nope, you're wrong, and here's why" justifications that boil down to the original being crazy. Therefore, *anything goes* so long as Cloud is holding a buster sword while the player holds a PS4/5 controller.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I was always cautioning people this wouldn't be 1:1 and personally I was really cool with that.

But the ending sucked and there's a difference between creative freedom and trying to justify creative freedom through a strange meta narrative with destiny and alternate timelines thrown in. Like, if they want to do some things differently then just do that.

And part of the ending sucking wasn't just the meta narrative. I'll give it that. The big part was that it makes no goddamned sense as of now and this all feels like completely unearned speculation not because it's intriguing to guess and talk but because it didn't actually answer anything at all about what the hell is happening. They went though so much work making this a nice standalone game and then shit the bed at the end.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
When Tetsuya Nomura says "ASAP" you should read that as a normal AAA dev cycle.

There was a thread with a poll a week or so ago that skewed heavily towards people liking it. This is one of those cases where there is a vocal minority that outright hates it, most people are positive on it but have varying degrees of cynicism towards whether Nomura/Nojima can bring it on home in the next entries.
The reaction to the ending has been mostly positive, even on this site.
www.resetera.com

Did you like Final Fantasy VII Remake's ending? [POLL] [SPOILERS]

This may be jumping the gun a tad considering how long the game has been out, but I'm already really curious cause I've seen people say "most people did not like the ending" and "most people did like the ending". So time for the simple way to learn, a poll. I'm also curious about the reception...
It's not. The majority seem to like it or, at the very least, are willing to give it a chance to see how it develops. It's the minority who are up in arms about the changes.
On this site most people like it. There are may be 6 or 7 who hated it and are a very vocal minority here.
This makes sense. I personally loved it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But Era told me I was wrong for expecting it before 2023 at the absolute earliest.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, not sure if XIII sequels is a good reference. Yeah, they had short development times, but also reused lot of assets and were very small games. In the sense they have very few areas and required lot of backtracking.

We can't have that for the VIIR sequels.

On this site most people like it. There are may be 6 or 7 who hated it and are a very vocal minority here.

Just a clarification here: 35% of people didn't liked it. That's more than 6 or 7 ppl, mind you.