• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Anyway, the ending still reminds me of that part in FF 8 where the party finds out they are all from the same orphanage but just forgot because they all use Gfs. It was the dumbest thing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The 'crazy powers' in FFVII always felt consistent with the cosmology of its universe. Like it exists in this weird convergence between magic, science and mysticism. Sephiroth is a mutant who doesn't fit in the ecosystem of the Planet and causes a virus to spread which allows him to challenge the life of the Planet itself. It's all super consistent and works really well if you think of Jenova and its 'children' as viruses and infected hosts.

When you bring in time travel then that's something completely separate. I'm not sure how else to explain to you why people find it hard to accept this new part of VII's plot. It's got nothing to do with Jenova, or powers or aliens or anything else. It's a completely new and unexplained agent to the plot which has never been hinted at before and does't really complement any other part of the story to now.

Again, I am totally fine with it so long as it all gets justified much better in the next game. But it's absolutely a wild turn for this series for a lot of people, I don't think it's hard to see why that is
There was never any consistency lol, it was ramping up continuously with more and more crazy shit. This "consistency" is just "what there was", there was always room for more crazy stuff next to all the crazy stuff we saw.

This is ridiculous, OTT, sci-fi, anime af nonsense. Acting like time-travel jumps the shark is completely dishonest.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They are common tropes so they should be there. In Max Payne there's bullet time so time manipulation is already there, is not that big of a jump to put time travel and have Max travel to the past to save his family.

Now that you mention it, Uncharted has bullet time too if you unlock it in the cheats meny.
Finally I can get that young Sully Old Drake game I've always wanted!

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
After beating it ... the argument about parts Is pointless. Not the same games

They can make however many or little parts as they want. You can't really follow the FF7 blueprint as closely as they did after how FF7R ended, as e.g. the whole encounter with the Midgar Zolom wouldn't work based on current power levels.

Going forward I view the whole 7R project as more of a pseudo-sequel, rather than a regular remake. I'm okay with that. The original will always exist.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
if you wanna doubt official SE word from Ultimania that released today then be my guest. I'm just saying it how it is. If this takes place after AC it's literally impossible.
Just no.

This is what the book says

It is just a reference for fans

twitter.com

☆オードリーAudrey☆ on Twitter

“In Chapter 18, there are three Whispers of Fate (Rubrum, Viridi, and Croceo) who use a sword, hand combat, & a gun. These three share the same fighting style as Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo from Advent Children. Whisper Croceo has a move called “Velvet Nightmare” = name of Yazoo's gun.”

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Ugh god, does this mean we're getting 4 or 5 parts? I'd happily wait an extra year or two for a nice clean trilogy. It also sounds bad from a business point of view. I can easily see diminishing returns with this strategy.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay materias as plot justificacions of time travel?...

No, there was a single timeline, now there's multiple timelines. Multiple timelines never existed or mentioned within the original.

That's like complaining there was only one timeline until Marty McFly went back in time and now there are multiple. If the condition for creating multiple timelines is someone has to go back in time and alter the past, then it's kinda self-explanatory why there wouldn't be multiple timelines until Sephiroth created them.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't see time travel as being particularly odd in Final Fantasy VII. It's been a big part of MANY Final Fantasy games. Plus, the world of FFVII, especially Midgar, is a pseudo-cyberpunk fantasy fusion with mad scientists, robots, and all sorts of crazy stuff. Whether or not they can pull off whatever it is they are planning remains to be seen but I think it's a silly thing to get hung up on.

It does open up interesting possibilities. Some that are interesting and some that could be a disaster. Ultimately I would prefer the games still remain reasonably true to the original game while playing around with this multiple timeline/parallel dimensions/time travel/destiny or whatever stuff they want to do. While I'm okay with not getting a 1-to-1 remake, I was hoping for a modern retelling of the game and not something that starts off as that and then becomes something completely different.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Just no.

This is what the book says

twitter.com

☆オードリーAudrey☆ on Twitter

“In Chapter 18, there are three Whispers of Fate (Rubrum, Viridi, and Croceo) who use a sword, hand combat, & a gun. These three share the same fighting style as Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo from Advent Children. Whisper Croceo has a move called “Velvet Nightmare” = name of Yazoo's gun.”

Uh I posted that in a spoiler tag or did you miss it last page? Not sure what you are trying to prove by giving me the same link.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's like complaining there was only one timeline until Marty McFly went back in time and now there are multiple. If the condition for creating multiple timelines is someone has to go back in time and alter the past, then it's kinda self-explanatory why there wouldn't be multiple timelines until Sephiroth created them.
I don't see time travel as being particularly odd in Final Fantasy VII. It's been a big part of MANY Final Fantasy games. Plus, the world of FFVII, especially Midgar, is a pseudo-cyberpunk fantasy fusion with mad scientists, robots, and all sorts of crazy stuff. Whether or not they can pull off whatever it is they are planning remains to be seen but I think it's a silly thing to get hung up on.

Exactly.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Uh I posted that in a spoiler tag or did you miss it last page? Not sure what you are trying to prove by giving me the same link.

That in no way that tweet means they are those characters. They even have their own names. It is just a reference. You are reaching by a lot

Also the thread title assumes spoilers are ok so I dont feel like tagging helps here

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally no one is saying add it in to everything... lol.

It could easily be written in to many things that already share equally crazy tropes and designs, though, (especially sci-fi/fantasy stories) and acting like it couldn't is so fucking weird.

For could, you can add time travel to fucking everything. We saw Nomura adding Time Travel to a story with Mickey Mouse on it.

But it has to be consistent within the world is created. The excuse of 'well, you never saw the WHOLE universe' doesn't work, because at that point you never saw the WHOLE universe of almost any story. You never saw the WHOLE Universe of Max Payne so it could have time travel because Max Payne world could be part of Control's world so yadda yadda yadda.

The question is not 'Max Payne could totally have time travel because Control is part of that game universe', the question is how consistent is time travel within what's presented in Max Payne, it's theming and it's characters.
Basically this:
The 'crazy powers' in FFVII always felt consistent with the cosmology of its universe. Like it exists in this weird convergence between magic, science and mysticism. Sephiroth is a mutant who doesn't fit in the ecosystem of the Planet and causes a virus to spread which allows him to challenge the life of the Planet itself. It's all super consistent and works really well if you think of Jenova and its 'children' as viruses and infected hosts.

When you bring in time travel then that's something completely separate. I'm not sure how else to explain to you why people find it hard to accept this new part of VII's plot. It's got nothing to do with Jenova, or powers or aliens or anything else. It's a completely new and unexplained agent to the plot which has never been hinted at before and does't really complement any other part of the story to now.

200.gif

Jun 26, 2018
So, pet theory for how they handle player strength in Part 2...

A mysterious ninja steals all your materia and equipment at the beginning of the game except for your primary weapons. (and some basic materia)

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Ugh god, does this mean we're getting 4 or 5 parts? I'd happily wait an extra year or two for a nice clean trilogy. It also sounds bad from a business point of view. I can easily see diminishing returns with this strategy.

and it's going to be annoying how they have to accommodate for new comers in literally every part, the difficulty scaling through out the series would be a messy line of waves

and then the new comers are going to ask stupid questions like ''do I have to play part 1 to get into this?'' so naturally they are going to adjust the storytelling as well

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But Marty McFly is the main character of a movie called BACK TO THE FUTURE
BACK
TO
THE
FUTURE

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
That in no way that tweet means they are those characters. They even have their own names. It is just a reference. You are reaching by a lot

I thought it was new things at first too. No need to be so rude but now I agree it is confirmed. That's all I'm saying here and if you disagree you are more than welcome to.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
For could, you can add time travel to fucking everything. We saw Nomura adding Time Travel to a story with Mickey Mouse on it.

But it has to be consistent within the world is created. The excuse of 'well, you never saw the WHOLE universe' doesn't work, because at that point you never saw the WHOLE universe of almost any story. You never saw the WHOLE Universe of Max Payne so it could have time travel because Max Payne world could be part of Control's world so yadda yadda yadda.

The question is not 'Max Payne could totally have time travel because Control is part of that game universe', the question is how consistent is time travel within what's presented in Max Payne, it's theming and it's characters.
Basically this:

Time travel is just another sci-fi/fantasy power mate. It can be tech powered or magic. And with all the other crazy OTT tech and magic in FF7, it fits perfectly.

And most people like the ending, btw, so it obviously landed more than it didn't.

BACK
TO
THE
FUTURE
You missed their point entirely.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
and it's going to be annoying how they have to accommodate for new comers in literally every part, the difficulty scaling through out the series would be a messy line of waves

I don't think they'll necessarily have to make it as self-contained as Part 1. They can easily brand Part 2 a sequel, no harm there.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

These guys are like 50+ years old, for all we know this would be their final major project before retirement.

It's perfectly reasonable that they would not want this project to be dragged out.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I thought it was new things at first too. No need to be so rude but now I agree it is confirmed. That's all I'm saying here and if you disagree you are more than welcome to.
Yeah, I disagree beacuse I read that and can grasp context, but if you are happy thinking that way good for you.

Just wanted to clarify because I already saw some people getting confused by your made up theory

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time travel is just another power mate. It can be tech powered or magic. And with all the other crazy OTT tech and magic in FF7, it fits perfectly

And most people like the ending, btw, so it obviously landed more than it didn't.

You missed their point entirely.

You are missing mine then.

And liking the ending doesn't have to do anything with how well executed it is. A lot of people who liked it mentioned how further it went to KH level territory.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You are missing mine then.
I'm really not.

It fits perfectly, you're just arbitrarily pulling "time travel" aside from all the other crazy OTT sci-fi powers and tropes because you don't like the direction.

And liking the ending doesn't have to do anything with how well executed it is. A lot of people who liked it mentioned how further it went to KH level territory.
Stretching does feel good, for sure!

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
This is a joke right? They want make how many parts like that? This is ridiculous...

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
All I know is the more Parts they make, the more room there is to make the story more and more convoluted with each entry.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yeah, I disagree beacuse I read that and can grasp context, but if you are happy thinking that way good for you.

Just wanted to clarify because I already saw some people getting confused by your made up theory

Its no more than a made up theory than suggesting a theory that they are new characters when Ultimania explicitly references a future without the whispers. And it's not my theory. I thought it made no sense at first.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I wish instead of a total remake they could just do one amazing remaster of the whole game which wouldn't require so much time and recourses and several parts... I guess I'm just alone in this one though.

I really like the remake and what they try to accomplish however unfortunately it's extremely ambitious and would take so many years just to have the complete game.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for fucks sake. Glad I'm bailing out of this mess that the FF7 franchise is becoming after that ending. Just not the way I wanted things to go, which is fine. More power to the people that enjoy it.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
So next stop will be Nibelheim? Although that would be making 1 and a half continents. How will continuity be done gameplay wise?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not.

It fits perfectly, you're just arbitrarily pulling "time travel" aside from all the other crazy OTT sci-fi powers and tropes

Time travel, multiple timelines, singularities and fighting the embodiment of destiny dosn't really fit between all the mysticism and magic from the original.

because you don't like the direction.

wait it either fits or dosn't fit the original, not both lol

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you also add the tweet of Kitase saying in the Ultimania that the parts aren't going to deviate too far from the original events, so we can get people to stop exasperatedly sharing Fanfiction? It's been tiring in the threads, and I was hoping it could be on the front of something so some people can cool their jets.

Ah yes. How exhausting that people are excited for the potential of the story.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
There was never any consistency lol, it was ramping up continuously with more and more crazy shit. This "consistency" is just "what there was", there was always room for more crazy stuff next to all the crazy stuff we saw.
See you're just saying VII was 'crazy' a lot and I don't even know what you're referring to. VII's plot isn't 'crazy' unless you consider anything about magic and fantasy in a story to be 'crazy'.

I don't think talking about how 'crazy' VII is and how much 'crazier' VIIr is really gives a good basis for discussion. Like you can just dismiss anything at that point because you can always go 'more crazy'. Even the Compilation titles largely adhere to the same basic plot framework as VII does, building off the building blocks set by that game.

To just take the extent of what 'crazy' has been in the VII universe, we have Cloud and Sephiroth flying around slicing buildings in half in Advent Children. Lots of people don't like that part of the Compilation and don't really accept that these characters can do this stuff. But if you really want you can still strain a justification by saying 'they are just using their limit breaks' or whatever. It's still far easier to justify than playing with the fabric of reality itself. When I look at Arbiters of Destiny I can't map it to anything in the original game or the other spinoffs. It is completely new and uncharted territory to this universe, that's the thing.

Again I say this all as someone who's COMPLETELY OK with VIIr going off the rails and using Midgar as a springboard for a new story while at the same time accepting that the execution here just isn't good right now. They have to work really hard to cleanly explain this stuff in the next game and make it feel like it's the same world (in a different universe). They did such good world building in the Remake up until that point so I generally have faith that they can do it.

But right now, judging the thing they put out, it is 'crazy' in a not so good way and doesn't really align with previous stuff no matter how hard I try. All of this also hurts speculation about future entries cause of its seeming lack of connection to any of the established rules of this universe.

Over time they can do the narrative work and make this stuff seem like it fits. But it isn't here in this Remake.

I think there should be a space in these threads where can can speculate about all this stuff, say it isn't that good right now while also not be seen as purists necessarily. While I don't think the split in the fanbase is as toxic as Last Jedi I think this sort of thing could happen

astro

Oct 25, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017
See you're just saying VII was 'crazy' a lot and I don't even know what you're referring to. VII's plot isn't 'crazy' unless you consider anything about magic and fantasy in a story to be 'crazy'.

I don't think talking about how 'crazy' VII is and how much 'crazier' VIIr is really gives a good basis for discussion. Like you can just dismiss anything at that point because you can always go 'more crazy'. Even the Compilation titles largely adhere to the same basic plot framework as VII does, building off the building blocks set by that game.

To just take the extent of what 'crazy' has been in the VII universe, we have Cloud and Sephiroth flying around slicing buildings in half in Advent Children. Lots of people don't like that part of the Compilation and don't really accept that these characters can do this stuff. But if you really want you can still strain a justification by saying 'they are just using their limit breaks' or whatever. It's still far easier to justify than playing with the fabric of reality itself. When I look at Arbiters of Destiny I can't map it to anything in the original game or the other spinoffs. It is completely new and uncharted territory to this universe, that's the thing.

Again I say this all as someone who's COMPLETELY OK with VIIr going off the rails and using Midgar as a springboard for a new story while at the same time accepting that the execution here just isn't good right now. They have to work really hard to cleanly explain this stuff in the next game and make it feel like it's the same world (in a different universe). They did such good world building in the Remake up until that point so I generally have faith that they can do it.

But right now, judging the thing they put out, it is 'crazy' in a not so good way and doesn't really align with previous stuff no matter how hard I try. All of this also hurts speculation about future entries cause of its seeming lack of connection to any of the established rules of this universe.

Over time they can do the narrative work and make this stuff seem like it fits. But it isn't here in this Remake.

I think there should be a space in these threads where can can speculate about all this stuff, say it isn't that good right now while also not be seen as purists necessarily. While I don't think the split in the fanbase is as toxic as Last Jedi I think this sort of thing could happen
Na mate, time travel fits the completely OTT anime AF sci-fi/fantasy nonsense of FF7 perfectly fine.

Completely arbitrary to try to pull it aside as "inconsistent".

You are the one contradicting yourself, not me lol
"The direction" doesn't mean "crazy new direction that could never have fit". "The direction" is a common term used to describe ALL aspects of stories going new places... and sequels often go new places, with characters, stories, powers, etc... this is not some unusual thing, and you twisted that comment like you tried to stretch everything else.

You're one of the most dishonest posters I've seen in FF7R threads. Well done.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BACK
TO
THE
FUTURE

So? Time travel shows up in a lot of media that doesn't explicitly say WE HAVE TIME TRAVEL in the name. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I ain't gonna sit there and complain that it doesn't fit in Final Fantasy VII until they've at least had a chance to fuck it up first.

For all we know physical time travel itself isn't even a thing, but the Lifestream exists outside of time and Sephiroth merely figured out how to influence the past through it. That would mean Aerith's and Cloud's memories of the future are Sephiroth intentionally fucking with them and he never appears to them physically, either. Then everything that happened in the Singularity, which exists within the Lifestream, including the destruction of the Whispers, happened outside of time and thus explains why destroying them effectively splinters time itself.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So? Time travel shows up in a lot of media that doesn't explicitly say WE HAVE TIME TRAVEL in the name. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I ain't gonna sit there and complain that it doesn't fit in Final Fantasy VII until they've at least had a chance to fuck it up first.

So? The movie is about time travel, the plot is built around time travel and so are the characters and story. VII wasn't.
No one ever complained about Back to the future, multiple timelines. It's a movie and universe built around time travel.

Is very simple.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Damn, 7 parts game incoming then. 7 × 60€, it's going to be quite expensive lol.