• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
k1Pxsq4.jpg

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I hate this "purist" shit everyone keeps throwing around. I love the game, and I'm cautiously optimistic for the future. I don't mind them changing things or doing new stuff, not at all.
It's just that the ending teases a lot of stupid shit that rarely works, and even if I loved 90% of the game I really don't have the trust in Square to do time travel or alternative realities in a way that feel justified in the end. If they're gonna continue to be as faithful to the original as they were in the first part all the whisper/Zack/Sephiroth stuff just make even less sense.

but there's no time travel though....since the plot ghost are now supposedly gone to 'nudge' the players into the exact OG's scenario, the ending just means part 2 will now not plays like 90% exactly the same way as OG post Midgar. The party didn't find a time machine nor gain the ability to go through a portal akin to chrono trigger.

the only 'alternate' timeline part is the 'zack's timeline' and even that, the main party didn't travel to that. I think again Zack's chapters will be like Laguna's chapters in FF8 and i think that Zack will still die in part 2 and live a deep impression to alt cloud so as to drive the point that even the manifestation of destiny is gone to string events, destiny itself always ends up the same... i.e. don't expect a disney ending in the final ending of remake where everyone's alive and living happily ever after.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I hate this "purist" shit everyone keeps throwing around. I love the game, and I'm cautiously optimistic for the future. I don't mind them changing things or doing new stuff, not at all.
It's just that the ending teases a lot of stupid shit that rarely works, and even if I loved 90% of the game I really don't have the trust in Square to do time travel or alternative realities in a way that feel justified in the end. If they're gonna continue to be as faithful to the original as they were in the first part all the whisper/Zack/Sephiroth stuff just make even less sense.

It'll probably be like the remake. Mostly the same especially when it coms to the big scenes.

I'm guessing all that whisper stuff is to give you suspense that things might change or for things to happen in a different order.

it's gonna be done on ps5 entirely.

as I said in the spoiler thread, this is what excites me the most.

I wonder if they'll tone down Cloud beating the shit out of Aerith or even have it in.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
but there's no time travel though....since the plot ghost are now supposedly gone to 'nudge' the players into the exact OG's scenario, the ending just means part 2 will now not plays like 90% exactly the same way as OG post Midgar. The party didn't find a time machine nor gain the ability to go through a portal akin to chrono trigger.

the only 'alternate' timeline part is the 'zack's timeline' and even that, the main party didn't travel to that. I think again Zack's chapters will be like Laguna's chapters in FF8 and i think that Zack will still die in part 2 and live a deep impression to alt cloud so as to drive the point that even the manifestation of destiny is gone to string events, destiny itself always ends up the same... i.e. don't expect a disney ending in the final ending of remake where everyone's alive and living happily ever after.

This is Nomura we talking about.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
why are they driveby cynics?

this is hole quite raises a lot of concerns for people and confirms my concerns before the release of the game.

I am still very hesitant to jump onboard the game because we simply have zero idea of how many games it's going to be split up into, and this does nothing to quell those fears.

I want to jump in, but I also want to know the roadmap for this as to be honest if they want to split it up into many tiny parts I am not interested.

I think it's silly to be hesitant to jump onboard a game just because you're worried about how the sequels will end up.

FFVII Remake FEELS like a single, complete game, and even if the sequels end up being literal trash that won't change the fact that FFVIIR is amazing.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Sephiroth is most likely a time traveler that is trying to change how the story progresses though? And we don't know what the deal is with Aerith. Can she see the future? Is she from the future? Is she some sort of reincarnation of the original games Aerith?
And all that Zack stuff seems super unnecessary if it's not something the Cloud we play as actually experiences. If it's all just to show that destiny ends up the same then that could just as easily have been achieved with Aerith, Wedge or Biggs without introducing an alternative reality.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's silly to be hesitant to jump onboard a game just because you're worried about how the sequels will end up.

FFVII Remake FEELS like a single, complete game, and even if the sequels end up being literal trash that won't change the fact that FFVIIR is amazing.

how is it possible to feel like a complete game with that cliffhanger ending?

I don't know how exactly it plays out but I know where the game ends (and I played the original game so I'm up to speed in that regard).

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sephiroth is most likely a time traveler that is trying to change how the story progresses though? And we don't know what the deal is with Aerith. Can she see the future? Is she from the future? Is she some sort of reincarnation of the original games Aerith?
And all that Zack stuff seems super unnecessary if it's not something the Cloud we play as actually experiences. If it's all just to show that destiny ends up the same then that could just as easily have been achieved with Aerith, Wedge or Biggs without introducing an alternative reality.

i agree that it's unnecessarily convoluted, don't get me wrong but i'm confident the next part will deviate from OG only in structure and ordering with new characters and events that's not in the OG but it's not gonna go frakkin star trek.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have an issue with it being multiple parts if they can maintain the quality. A lot of my favorite stuff from Remake is stuff that is either new or expanded from the original. All the stuff with Jessie, Biggs and Wedge is great and if they can do that kinda stuff going forward, then bring it on.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I hope that the same people defending this milking strategy won't complain if FF16 will be a fragmented episodic game series as well. Mainline Final Fantasy games until FF7R were never as monotonous in location variety as with this game.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
you-can-piss-you-can-moan-you-can-complain-hell-43966002.png

Feels relevant, this is gonna be Final Fantasy VII threads from here on out. I put a certain poster on ignore and can still see their shit. What's the use of that function?

I don't mind smaller parts if the amount of time it takes and the price is right.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so basically Junon game ala Midgar size in this remake. Not sure what to feel
Honestly, I wish Part 1 was 20 hour long , would have had way better pacing. Just put some post-game big endgame dungeon to fill out more play time.

But Midgar, as a location had way more plot than any of the locations in the rest of the game. Junon is like... 1 hour or so?

Midgar as a full game? Yeah, 20 hours does work given the original.

Junon? Absolutely not. Lol

There's no way you can add 20 hours to Junon unless you add a lot of shit.

Second game has to reach 'Aerith death/no death'. There's no other high point in the OG where you can end it.
(if they want to keep OG big plot points)

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how exactly it plays out but I know where the game ends (and I played the original game so I'm up to speed in that regard).
The easiest way to give the illusion of it being complete is access to usual FF high-end content. Imagine if your Fire spell stop at Fira instead of Firaga or you don't have a Bahamut summon by the time you reach the end of game?

I hope that the same people defending this milking strategy won't complain if FF16 will be a fragmented episodic game series as well. Mainline Final Fantasy games until FF7R were never as monotonous in location variety as with this game.
Ah, worry not. Big names get free pass for most of things because they're loved. And love is blind.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

like a MCU movie, you can just watch one and enjoy the characters' moments and set pieces without the need to worry about the 'big picture'. I'm sure alot of people watched the first guardians movie and have no clue who's that purple dude in the chair and don't care why the heroes didn't take care of him at the end of the guardians movie.

i am not the biggest FF7 fans and i'm interested to see where the plot goes but the most interesting thing to me in remake is the combat, it's absolutely spectacular once you got the 'groove' and i for one can't wait for them to expand upon in part 2....potential kingdom hearts-esque plot point be damn.

But then to each his own.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see them stretching this game beyond 3 episodes, so episode 2 is gonna be crammed with locations probably. How they'll handle traversal between areas will be interesting. I never expected the world map to return in the first place. Maybe a rudimentary highway where you can catch a bus or something?

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2 should be

Kalm flashback
Serpent/Mythril Cave
Junon (large chunk of the game)
Trek to Corel
Gold Saucer and prison
Cosmo Canyon
Niebelheim trek (end at arrival in town)

That can easily have 40 to 50 hoursnworth of content. Maybe even have a Fort Condor minigame remotely (visit the actual place later).

Oct 31, 2017
Yea they can fuck right off if its going to be linear as fuck again. It should be a large open map after midgar anything else is a no buy for me.

You can't have these character models with these amazing animations and this polished battle system and these well-directed cutscenes and this huge expensive soundtrack with open world design. Games don't have an unlimited budget. i get wanting bigger environments with more breathing room but open world design doesn't work with the priorities of a typical mainline FF. Period.

The two most praised open world games are Witcher 3 and BotW. Witcher 3 has a clunky battle system that's rather divisive and it also has stiff animations that plague many other story-driven RPGs. BotW has a very short and almost non-existent story.

The sacrifices required for an open world do not mesh well with Final Fantasy

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
i agree that it's unnecessarily convoluted, don't get me wrong but i'm confident the next part will deviate from OG only in structure and ordering with new characters and events that's not in the OG but it's not gonna go frakkin star trek.

I just find it very weird to brush off all the criticism as purists just wanting a 1:1 remake, when that's definitely not what I want. I just find most of the new stuff introduced in the ending to point towards a much more convoluted story, and most likely not better either. That doesn't mean I didn't love a lot of the new stuff in the remake, just like I most likely will like a lot of the new stuff in the sequels as well.

I actually liked Roche, the Wutai teases, pretty much all new stuff with Avalanche, Corneo, wall market in general and the final fight against Sephiroth. I just hope they don't go overboard with Zack stuff that isn't really necessary if it doesn't even take place in the same reality and if Sephiroth and Aerith is actually aware of future events I'm worried that most scenes with them won't have any impact because they know what's coming up. I'm super excited for the sequel, just cautiously so.
I'll gladly ape Planetsmasher leading up to the sequel and then be pleasently surprised when it turns out they actually nailed it again.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'd prefer three parts as it seems like things would divide up nicely and you could probably pace that out over the next four years.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You spent longest in Midgar. They can basically make Kalm into 1 chapter, Chocobo ranch where you rent a chocobo and mines in 1 chapter as well. Then you pretty much have Junon already, which isn't bigger than the Shinra Building in the original. Dunno what they do with Fort Condor, perhaps an optional side quest chain after the mine chapter. If it has 20 ish chapters, the next game might end at Nibelheim. Thats rather far into disc 1 and don't forget disc 1 was biggest by far. 2 was a load of toss anyway, for all I care they scrap the huge materia busywork and focus more on the midgar raid and the good stuff of that disc.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
But Midgar, as a location had way more plot than any of the locations in the rest of the game. Junon is like... 1 hour or so?

Second game has to reach 'Aerith death/no death'. There's no other high point in the OG where you can end it.

Niebelheim arrival is a good WTF is going on here ending given what happens in the flashback.

The trek there could be a good final dungeon woth some flashback craziness shenanigans

Oct 31, 2017

Final Fantasy XV was originally going to be a planned trilogy and I was 100% on-board.

People need to stop being disingenuous with the "episodic." They aren't going to be DLC.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Since they stupidly (imo) wasted the Seph bullet (instead of, say, having the Jenova fight take place at the end of the game), I wonder what other final bosses they've got planned.

When I was thinking of this being, say, 3 or 4 parts, I was assuming most of these (except for the last game, obviously) would have been different Jenova versions. Now, though...

I hope it's not too Jenova/Seph-centric. Give me a good ass Shinra-themed final boss or something (although that would have suited this game more).
the original was linear or have you forgot?
Yeah, the original was quite on track for the most part.

I do hope the areas (the ones that would be the overworld in the OG) are still quite bigger even if they're not open world and less corridor-like. Give me that, make me feel like I'm actually on the outside.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Midgar is like like 3 hours..... and they managed to make it 40 hours. Dont underestimate SE lol

Personally, I dont think we are getting Aerith's death in part 2 at all.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh, so you never played XIII?

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Can you also add the tweet of Kitase saying in the Ultimania that the parts aren't going to deviate too far from the original events, so we can get people to stop exasperatedly sharing Fanfiction? It's been tiring in the threads, and I was hoping it could be on the front of something so some people can cool their jets.

So they're going with
mako poisoning as an excuse. There's no way Zack is still alive with Cloud having his sword, being recognized as not SOLDIER, and hallucinating throughout the game

I knew it! Someone at Squeenix must've talked to Nomura. Just make one more game no matter how long it takes.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original was linear yes, but you guys think we can actually fly around the map, collecting stuff. Or even go back to old towns? Play games in Gold Saucer, skip wutai yes or no, collect party members yes or no? The original had quite a few things to do besides following the main story. And not really confined within a chapter, it was persistent. On my first run I collected Yuffie and Vincent on disc 3, haha. Because I played without reference.

VII R right now can't do that. You can replay chapters and collect missables but you have to go through everything again. Now, OG FF didn't let you backtrack through that part at all but I feel every release will have this same setup. And thats def. more linear than the OG game.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh my god it's like half the people in this thread have never read a series or never watched or played another trilogy.

Oh, so you never played XIII?

Level design is not location variety. That poster is basically complaining that this game took place in one giant city that doesn't exactly have a shitload of environmental variety, which is a fair point to make.

Oct 8, 2019

I would compare it to say the Star Wars trilogy, or any other franchise movie. Very rarely did I ever feel like "this area comes off like it exist to add in an hour of game time". Pretty much all of the added scenes were great, and assaulting Shinra's headquarters is one hell of a climax.. If you're going to wait then you're going to be playing at least 200+ hours of Final Fantasy VII which would be incredibly daunting.

I wonder if by the end of this if they will release a complete edition with everything

I would assume it would be something like Kingdom Hearts where 10-15 years down the line we get a story so far before they release the final game in the series.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
you-can-piss-you-can-moan-you-can-complain-hell-43966002.png

Feels relevant, this is gonna be Final Fantasy VII threads from here on out. I put a certain poster on ignore and can still see their shit. What's the use of that function?

I don't mind smaller parts if the amount of time it takes and the price is right.

That's an awful fuckin picture.
It's a forum, we're here to discuss topics and everyone isn't gonna like the same stuff. So people should never be able to criticize stuff just because there are others who actually liked it?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I have seen more praise than I have rage. It seems like it had a relatively well-received ending. I'm assuming Era didn't like it or something? I genuinely didn't get that impression anywhere. I saw maybe one or two meltdowns, but for the most part I've seen people theorizing and having a pretty good time.
It's a divisive ending. A lot of people like it, a lot of people HATE it.
www.pushsquare.com

Poll: Do You Like the Final Fantasy VII Remake Ending?

I'm waiting, Cloud
www.resetera.com

Did you like Final Fantasy VII Remake's ending? [POLL] [SPOILERS]

This may be jumping the gun a tad considering how long the game has been out, but I'm already really curious cause I've seen people say "most people did not like the ending" and "most people did like the ending". So time for the simple way to learn, a poll. I'm also curious about the reception...

POLL: Did you like the ending? - Final Fantasy VII Remake

For Final Fantasy VII Remake on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "POLL: Did you like the ending?".
strawpoll.com

Did you like Final Fantasy VII Rem ... - Poll Results - StrawPoll

What's your opinion? Vote now: I liked the ending and I've played the origin

Did You Like The Ending? *spoilers* - Final Fantasy VII Remake

For Final Fantasy VII Remake on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Did You Like The Ending? *spoilers*".

One poll where it comes out ahead with dislikes, but if you add all the results up like is still the major majority. It's divisive, but don't act like it's down the middle. People are mostly on board with this.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
That's an awful fuckin picture.
It's a forum, we're here to discuss topics and everyone isn't gonna like the same stuff. So people should never be able to criticize stuff just because there are others who actually liked it?

Criticise all you want but if every different thread I go into I see this one poster moaning, bitching and complaining about everything in every different game like a black hole of negativity, then what is the point of this ignore function?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Criticise all you want but if every different thread I go into I see this one poster moaning, bitching and complaining about everything in every different game like a black hole of negativity, then what is the point of this ignore function?
Haha okay, that's fair. I have the same poster on ignore so I know exactly what you mean.
Full pages and topics of people just replying and arguing with posts you can't even see.. I've gotten used to it.

Oh god here we go with the "lol so the game is gonna be finally completed in 2046" shitposts

Yeah, That's never going away sadly.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Niebelheim arrival is a good WTF is going on here ending given what happens in the flashback.

The trek there could be a good final dungeon woth some flashback craziness shenanigans

Yeah, but in the OG the big 'mistery' about Nibelheim is resolved in a couple of lines lol. Is nothing really special to sell as a big cliffhanger for the next game.

The only other point I can think is Temple of the Ancients. Is where Sephiroth plans are revealed and Cloud loses control and attacks Aerith which is a good Wtf moment in the OG.