• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yea they can fuck right off if its going to be linear as fuck again. It should be a large open map after midgar anything else is a no buy for me.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Bye bye world map!

And I'm completely fine with that, just open up the levels a bit more. So you can somewhat explore areas in-between the smaller towns like Kalm and Fort Condor etc. I'd like for the sequels to still be kinda linear and chapter based.
Honestly going with open zones ala borderlands would work best for a world map giving a sense of freedom but not completely open

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Can you also add the tweet of Kitase saying in the Ultimania that the parts aren't going to deviate too far from the original events, so we can get people to stop exasperatedly sharing Fanfiction? It's been tiring in the threads, and I was hoping it could be on the front of something so some people can cool their jets.

Welp...RIP
Aerith.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yea they can fuck right off if its going to be linear as fuck again. It should be a large open map after midgar anything else is a no buy for me.

But FF7 is a linear game for the most part?

Anyways on topic: Well yeah. The bigger a game the longer it takes to make. Sounds pretty straightforward?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
first undoubtedly sold shitloads so they definitely won't sit on it long. but i'm not necessarily saying it'll release soon-ish either

my guess is the next three or however many parts will be like what witcher 3 was to witcher 2 (FF7R 1 being the latter) so will take a bit longer to develop for per whenever FF7R 1 really began dev in earnest

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say 2022 is when the game comes out.

They've started working on part 2 since last year.
I mean.. if they started lasted year they should already have scoped out if its going to be a large or smaller chunk of OG 7 right?

Why did Nomura give such an vague answer lol. Could be misunderstanding things.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.. if they started lasted year they should already have scoped out if its going to be a large or smaller chunk of OG 7 right?

Why give such an vague answer lol. Could be misunderstanding things.

It's better to give vague answers when things could still change. They could decide on doing a large chunk then decide to cut it down later on.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'll be really interested to see from afar if/In what format this ever gets completed.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's content development. Content development is ALWAYS Square's roadblock. Every time.

I feel like above any other developer, Square-Enix was actually known most for their engine development woes. (Which is actually basically the opposite of content development, from a game development pipeline point of view.) The trials and tribulations of FFXV, KH3, and the Luminous Engine are legendary. Even FFXIV was basically an engine issue; once they remade the engine internally, the content seemed to flow pretty consistently.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a bit worried part 2 is going to be a crossgen game in 2022 on account of how well it sold in Japan on PS4 and the fact that the PS5 will be lucky to sell 1m consoles by then (in Japan).

Do not want tight squeeze hidden loading shit everywhere again as that is on of the few negatives in the game.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this thread is really getting the drive-by cynics out in force, huh...

why are they driveby cynics?

this is hole quite raises a lot of concerns for people and confirms my concerns before the release of the game.

I am still very hesitant to jump onboard the game because we simply have zero idea of how many games it's going to be split up into, and this does nothing to quell those fears.

I want to jump in, but I also want to know the roadmap for this as to be honest if they want to split it up into many tiny parts I am not interested.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2022? That's quite optimistic.

KH3->KH3 DLC= One Year

We got 14 bosses where 13 have already assets and moves, 1-2 hours additional cutscenes, Qol Chances, A bit, Explorable Scala(Already has assets) +Photo mode and Ez/Pro mode. Anything else?

If this already takes one year, I don't know how long it takes.

You can all shit Tabata for but he has only like 3-4 years to build an open world with a half completed engine. There is also a larger monster variety larger than FFVII and environments look better. It has a lot a recycled content/dungeons/npc's but he still get shit done.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
It will only take longer to make if they bloat it with unnecessary padding.
if they're going to release it bit piece and charge full price while starting from level 1 each game... then yeah I'm done.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Can you also add the tweet of Kitase saying in the Ultimania that the parts aren't going to deviate too far from the original events, so we can get people to stop exasperatedly sharing Fanfiction? It's been tiring in the threads, and I was hoping it could be on the front of something so some people can cool their jets.

What a lie from a story and development reality of Square of all people

Jun 26, 2018
why are they driveby cynics?

this is hole quite raises a lot of concerns for people and confirms my concerns before the release of the game.

I am still very hesitant to jump onboard the game because we simply have zero idea of how many games it's going to be split up into, and this does nothing to quell those fears.

I want to jump in, but I also want to know the roadmap for this as to be honest if they want to split it up into many tiny parts I am not interested.

FF7R was a full video game that I spend almost 40 hours playing (and I could spend many more, if I wanted to beat hard mode and the optional battle content), so it follows that the next parts would also be of that caliber, so posting "they'll charge $60 for each part, so greedy" is pure cynicism without much actual thought behind it, hence "drive-by"...

You can play FF7R and enjoy it for what it is right now without future parts (even though it's largely made for fans of FF7, so there are things that will confuse newcomers).

So if you want to jump in now, I'd suggest starting with the original FF7, but otherwise you can also just wait, eventually you'll know how the roadmap shakes out.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

No just 12 -18 hour episodes each year. Like either have Kalm Chocobo farm, perhaps expand on that half of the continent to make it a little busier, perhaps put in some bandit camps in etc or keep it to the same at areas and have it end with you washing up on Costa Del Sol with a to be continued.

Either way just so 12 hours for next year, then focus on another 12 hours for 2022 etc, little and often is how I'd like it.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Hopefully this puts to rest the dumb aerith will live fanfiction.... Who am I kidding, the festival of stupid will continue.

Both of these statements can coexist. What Kitase has said can be intepreted as they're not going to cut loads of stuff or deviate down a completely different story path. It's still going to be about Meteor, Jenova, Sephiroth, preventing the destruction of the planet. You're still going to go to all the places you loved, and the major events you love like the date or Bugenhagen's observatory and things like that will all happen. But at the same time, pieces have been moved around the board and the context could be really different. Characters might be gone where they were present before, or present where they were gone. Relationships will be different. So it will be a very different and remade story. And this is what Nomura is getting at. Certainly one or two of the changes they make in FF7R will have a huge butterfly effect on the rest of the story. We know that.

Rebuild of Eva is a good comparison point - when you think about how the same events happen, but happen in often really different ways.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

i'm surprised the FF7 purists are still pissed about remake's ending...i mean, even though
the last chapter is some anime kingdom hearts stuff about destiny and whatnot and there's some deviation in how things can play out, our party still ends up pretty much the same where OG FF7's at. The same set of characters are now fixate on pursuing Sephiroth as OG, Rufus took over Shinra as president as per OG, Hojo's still mad about wanting to see the fallout of his union theory as per OG, and sephiroth's 'alive' and most probably using his clones to do sephiroth stuff (probably black materia)...the only difference is the Biggs is alive, sector 7's being rebuild by the people. That 'Zack thing' is just an alternatve timeline anyway, probably gonna play out like the Laguna's section in FF8. Aerith's still gonna die i think just not in the exact same way but die she will i guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
i'm surprised the FF7 purists are still pissed about remake's ending...i mean, even though the last chapter is some anime kingdom hearts stuff about destiny and whatnot and there's some deviation in how things can play out, our party still ends up pretty much the same where OG FF7's at. The same set of characters are now fixate on pursuing Sephiroth as OG, Rufus took over Shinra as president as per OG, Hojo's still mad about wanting to see the fallout of his union theory as per OG, and sephiroth's 'alive' and most probably using his clones to do sephiroth stuff (probably black materia)...the only difference is the Biggs is alive, sector 7's being rebuild by the people. That 'Zack thing' is just an alternatve timeline anyway, probably gonna play out like the Laguna's section in FF8. Aerith's still gonna die i think just not in the exact same way but die she will i guarantee.

Aerith should live though.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This kind of conflicts with what they said before about not to expect significantly faster releases tho, doesn't it?

I hope future releases are faster. Also hope they can be a bit shorter, or at least paced better for their length. I also still expect significant story departures outside of the moment to moment journey stuff like Junon etc. This is a completely different take on Sephiroth, you can't have an ending like Part 1 and then just go completely back on track for sequels. I expect about 60% same, 40% different. Even that 60% will probably be cut up and re-arranged

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
No just 12 -18 hour episodes each year. Like either have Kalm Chocobo farm, perhaps expand on that half of the continent to make it a little busier, perhaps put in some bandit camps in etc or keep it to the same at areas and have it end with you washing up on Costa Del Sol with a to be continued.

Either way just so 12 hours for next year, then focus on another 12 hours for 2022 etc, little and often is how I'd like it.
How would this work transitioning to the PS5? How does it work for players switching consoles? How does this work for how the game inherently is built and structured in relation to memory usage? How many more years are they to be expected to continue supporting a late-gen PS4 game?

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry but this isn't happening. They won't release a 12 hour long game in yearly periods and charge 60 dollars for it. Expect the length to be the same as part 1 and release every 3-5 years.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Sorry but this isn't happening. They won't release a 12 hour long game in yearly periods and charge 60 dollars for it. Expect the length to be the same as part 1 and release every 3-5 years.

You must have missed my last statement on having short cheaper episodic DLC rather than 40+ hour games...

How would this work transitioning to the PS5? How does it work for players switching consoles? How does this work for how the game inherently is built and structured in relation to memory usage? How many more years are they to be expected to continue supporting a late-gen PS4 game?

Sony stated that a lot of PS4 games will get just patches to become PS5 games rather than forcing you to buy an entirely new game. If true your PS4 game gets a graphics upgrade and the PS5 DLC would transition to that game. Save data too.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would like to see where part 2 ends. There's no way they'll reach the end of disc 1 at the current pace they're going.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Looks like we're gonna have all the big scenes that were in the original according to another translator:

They don't plan to remove locations and scenes that the fans expect to see from the original in the next installments, and that the continuation of the remake will not be entirely different from the OG. Nojima even mentioned that he would like to add villages from CC.

They have a general image of the total number of parts for the remake, but can't talk about it now.

Nomura promised that the fans will get all the answers for the ending in the next installments, and hopefully he talk about it in a few years.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
i'm surprised the FF7 purists are still pissed about remake's ending...i mean, even though the last chapter is some anime kingdom hearts stuff about destiny and whatnot and there's some deviation in how things can play out, our party still ends up pretty much the same where OG FF7's at. The same set of characters are now fixate on pursuing Sephiroth as OG, Rufus took over Shinra as president as per OG, Hojo's still mad about wanting to see the fallout of his union theory as per OG, and sephiroth's 'alive' and most probably using his clones to do sephiroth stuff (probably black materia)...the only difference is the Biggs is alive, sector 7's being rebuild by the people. That 'Zack thing' is just an alternatve timeline anyway, probably gonna play out like the Laguna's section in FF8. Aerith's still gonna die i think just not in the exact same way but die she will i guarantee.

I hate this "purist" shit everyone keeps throwing around. I love the game, and I'm cautiously optimistic for the future. I don't mind them changing things or doing new stuff, not at all.
It's just that the ending teases a lot of stupid shit that rarely works, and even if I loved 90% of the game I really don't have the trust in Square to do time travel or alternative realities in a way that feel justified in the end. If they're gonna continue to be as faithful to the original as they were in the first part all the whisper/Zack/Sephiroth stuff just make even less sense.

I always have doubts when someone decides to introduce time travel to a story story, doesn't matter what series it is. Avengers endgame, Kingdom Hearts, Shield etc. It's always very easy to mess it up.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You must have missed my last statement on having short cheaper episodic DLC rather than 40+ hour games...

Sony stated that a lot of PS4 games will get just patches to become PS5 games rather than forcing you to buy an entirely new game. If true your PS4 game gets a graphics upgrade and the PS5 DLC would transition to that game. Save data too.

I still don't think they will release ANY story driven DLC that advances the plot forward. It'll end up being 5-6 parts instead of 3 is what I'm taking from the comments.