• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Have you ever wanted to play a game that just makes you forget real life exists for a while? Then you most likely need a game from this man. Tetsuya Mizuguchi is, along with other people, responsible for games like:

- Space Channel 5
- Space Channel 5 Part 2
- Rez (and Rez Infinite)
- Lumines (+ other versions and Lumines remastered)
- Meteos
- Tetris Effect

Almost all of these games are probably some of the most unique and addictive games out there, but if I had to tell you to play one, start with Rez Infinite:

You probably don't understand what you're seeing or why is it fun, and that's OK. That's why you must play it. For those with a headset, apparently the implementation of VR is superb as well given how well received it was. Almost all of these games are kinda endlessly replayable, so even if the $30 price tag seems a little steep for a game that "only" lasts 2 hours to complete, you're definitely getting your money's worth.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I still regard his racing legacy pretty highly too (Sega Rally 1-2, Manx TT, Sega Touring Car). Up there with Suzuki and Nagoshi imo.

GonXtreme

Dec 13, 2017
Moscow
I love Mizuguchi. He definitely found his genre with his sort of experimental musical games.

Rez is G O D. Beyond gaming Imho.

Don't forget also that he was crucial in the development of major racing Sega games, which I love as much as their amazing new games.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Rez is one of the most sensorial experiences I've ever had. It's a masterpiece through and through.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Rez yesterday and I'm having a blast. It's short but immensely replayable. Despite area X being amazing with the particle effects, AREA 4 is my favorite by far. The combination of rock is sponge guitar with the running boss was genius. I'll call some friends and take an LSD, this is the ideal game for this kind of experience.

I have a question though, how do I get 150.000 points in lost area to unlock the trace mission? Everytime I got a great shotdown percentage but only reach 120.000 points max. What I'm doing wrong?

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing how many games that he's created that I loved with out even realizing its made by the same guy. What a legend. Tetris effect is such an amazing addition to his portfolio.
Rez Infinite in VR, especially area x is one of my favorite gaming experiences I've had in years, if ever honestly. His games make you feel like you're on another level of existence.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
No love for N3? :p

That's actually the only one I have personal familiarity with, since my brother was into it. I've always wanted to play Rez though. Keep forgetting Infinite is a thing, guess I should get on that.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Manx TT has now officially (with the announcement of wooloo in pokemon sword and shield) the second best sheep in gaming, but I will never not take an opportunity to share this fact with you.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my top 5 all time game designers. Feel the way about him that people feel about Kojima where I truly feel like he is able to craft transcendent gameplay experiences again and again.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing Space Channel 5 and thinking it was a cool thing but never ended up owning it. But when the stories of this Japanese Dreamcast game Rez came around I had to play it, but never had the chance until the PS2 version. It was the first time I specifically took the extra steps to get a couple converters and have a somewhat decent headphone setup for the game. I really love everything about his games and the ethos they exude. Tetris Effect is still my favorite Tetris.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Rez is probably the most replayable game ever made. Playing through it is like listening to a favorite album. It never gets old.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I never got a chance to place Rez on release, nor would I ever find a copy at any shops. I did end up grabbing it for PSVR and glad that was my first experience with that game. It's absolutely crazy, especially Area X. I want a follow up to all of that.

Lumines however, I was completely addicted to the game when it released on PSP. I even got it on my old RAZR phone because you could play online and against other people. I only wish Remastered didn't have such horrible loading times, I would absolutely play it more.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I love his games so much. I'm pretty late to the party on most of them, but Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect, and Lumines all speak to something deep within me and they bring me so much joy and peace of mind. I have yet to play his racing games yet but I definitely want to.

Deleted member 6026

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adore this man's work. Tetris Effect was the main reason I caved and bought PSVR last year, after hearing about people's experiences with it at E3.

I still need to check out Rez Infinite; I've heard that Area X, in VR, is incredible.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There's just a style so specific to his games that nobody else seems to be able to replicate. Also a good reason to post this

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I adore this man's work. Tetris Effect was the main reason I caved and bought PSVR last year.

I still need to check out Rez Infinite; I've heard that Area X, in VR, is incredible.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 6026

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I intend to. Maybe even tonight, now that I'm in the mood. I've had an unopened copy of the iam8bit release sitting on my shelf for at least half a year.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I adore this man's work. Tetris Effect was the main reason I caved and bought PSVR last year, after hearing about people's experiences with it at E3.

Do it, Shame it was just on sale BUT even not on sale its worth the price point. If you love Tetris effect and in vr, you will love this even more. Also one of the psvr demo disc downloads has a demo for Rez if you wanna check it out.
Edit: I just saw your post! open that baby up!

Deleted member 6026

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you love Tetris effect and in vr, you will love this even more.

Of that I have no doubt. As much as I enjoyed Tetris Effect, it didn't leave as much of an impression on me as the first time I played Rez—which I suppose is understandable, given its limitations. It is just Tetris, after all. (But don't get me wrong—I still loved it to bits.)

Edit: I just saw your post! open that baby up!

That's what I'm doing right this minute!

Will report back later with impressions.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I saw him when he gave a talk here in Australia MANY years ago (7 or 8 maybe?) and was fanboying out the whole fucking time. I'm somewhere in this photo:

(Miraculously, here's a video of the talk that is still available)

Manx TT has now officially (with the announcement of wooloo in pokemon sword and shield) the second best sheep in gaming, but I will never not take an opportunity to share this fact with you.

Does he have anything to do with Manx TT? I thought the only racing games he had anything to do with were Sega Rally and Touring Car Championship.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Rez is one of my favourite games (no Infinite for me yet, unfortunately), and Ninety-Nine Nights was surprisingly fun.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Strangely i used to be a raver back in the late 90s early 00's, and Rez conception from his trips to raves is what initially got me into his stuff... i was all about those beats.

Now a days, im all about his mixture of music and gameplay and how it all melds into such a unique experience. Rez is still one of the most magical games ever made!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Does he have anything to do with Manx TT? I thought the only racing games he had anything to do with were Sega Rally and Touring Car Championship.

He was producer. I don't know what level of involvement that means necessarily though I think that basically means he was the one in charge. Certainly the Gradius style techno remix of Mary Had a little Lamb feels very much like a thing he would want to have in the game.

Remind me to pull up the retronauts interview with him because that was a good episode.

The music games are great....but oh, the puzzle games.

First time I played Lumines was a magical experience, and it's absolutely one of my favorite block-drop puzzle games. The flow you get into with that game is, for me, even more intense than Rez.

And where's the love for Meteos? As much as I love Lumines, Meteos still beats it out, just barely. Learning the mechanics of each planet, along with the aural additions still make sure it a blast (heh) to play. But, the combo systems is what puts it above for me.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
He was producer. I don't know what level of involvement that means necessarily though I think that basically means he was the one in charge. Certainly the Gradius style techno remix of Mary Had a little Lamb feels very much like a thing he would want to have in the game.

Remind me to pull up the retronauts interview with him because that was a good episode.
Hell yeah, it's great. It was only a part 1 as well, yeah? I remember JeremyParish said he wanted to get through more than just Lumines so I'm kinda holding my breath for more.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Rez is a special game. I actually have a copy of the Dreamcast version of Rez signed by the man although I got this from someone else and haven't met him myself. I love that almost 20 years later Rez still feels relevant and still looks beautiful too. Obviously a lot of that is down to the art style but it looks even more gorgeous in 4k with those nice clean lines. Being able to turn off the HUD also helps it feel less "gamey". I made sure that Area X was the first game I tried in VR as well and the fact that it works so well with contemporary technology just reinforces how timeless it is.

Some 4k screenshots from the Pro:

Area X boss

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I had the honour to meet him once. Like twenty years ago, when they were working on Rez. They called it "Project K". The "K" stood for Kandinsky. I remember he looked extremely tired, since they were in crunch time already.

Super nice bloke. We talked a lot about going to raves and stuff..

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
PS. I'm just gonna post this here:

This makes the following Mizuguchi games playable on Switch:
Lumines 1 (Native)
Lumines 2/Every Extend Extra (via PSP emulator)
Meteos (via DS emulator, yet to test though)
Rez (as above), Space Channel 5 and it's sequel (DC emulator)
Sega Rally Championship (Saturn emulator, not perfect but kinda playable)