• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
You ain't missing much, it's a porting disaster on PS4, and it has two other Tetris titles which far exceed this game

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand, how the hell a company like Ubisoft buys the license only for 5 years? I don't think it's too expensive if Hudson affords it for more than 5 years.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
These cases aren't really equivalent; Tetris in particular is managed by a single company that licenses the rights out to third party developers on their own whims. These rights do not last in perpetuity and in fact history has shown over and over they have built-in expiration dates. Tetris Ultimate is far from the first licensed Tetris product to disappear into the ether.

A more similar case for things going away for licensing related reasons is, say, OutRun and After Burner Climax disappearing when their car/plane licenses expired.
People better get Tetris Effect now so they can enjoy it in the future

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All things, good and bad, must come to an end, but especially Tetris games

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know there WAS a 3DS version of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

In Japan it was released on every possible console of the time, even on the Xbox One despite it being an irrelevant platform over there. When they localized the game they kept it to a very small number of platforms for some reason. You'd think they would want to recoup the development costs for the Xbox One version which probably sold 10 copies in Japan but apparently not.

Last edited:

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
Good thing I bought GB Tetris on the 3DS when it was possible. Still have the original cartridge in good condition, but this is nice. If only the GB game Final Fantasy Legend III was available on the 3DS Virtual Console too.

Oct 26, 2017
Did Sega ever bring the JP audio to the Switch and PS4 versions of Puyo Puyo Tetris in the west? They did on PC. It was weird that they seemingly never bothered bringing that to the other versions as DLC or an update/patch.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Honestly the law should be changed that existing products can still be sold after the license has expired and only new products can't be made by the party that lost the license.

This is how the law works. Anything that is produced before the license expires can be sold. New copies (physical or digital) cannot be made after the license expires.

This is why codes are still sold at retail after delisting (those licenses were made before expiration) but new digital copies cannot be generated.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here's hoping for a Nintendo take on Tetris for the Switch. Tetris DS was and is amazing.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The license management surrounding the Tetris IP is the dumbest thing. It's a neverending carousel of publisher exclusivity and sudden delistings.

Ironic how Tetris is one of the simplest video games known to man, yet the licensing is anything but.

The license of Tetris is the same thing as many others in video game. There's no difference and those also get delisted and have publisher exclusivity or different publishers. Superhero games had it and still have in some ways

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm in Canada and tried buying a Tetris code on Gamestop.com, but I didn't read the fine print closely enough and the Xbox code was only a $10 USD giftcard to then buy the game. Goofy. PS4 code was able to redeem directly. If anyone wants $10 USD Xbox money:

9K2HH-YHMJ9-G2HDD-4D24R-HQF2Z

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Digital Tetris games have a very short (digital) shelf life due to those insane rules about number of Tetris games allowed per platform.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Canada and tried buying a Tetris code on Gamestop.com, but I didn't read the fine print closely enough and the Xbox code was only a $10 USD giftcard to then buy the game. Goofy. PS4 code was able to redeem directly. If anyone wants $10 USD Xbox money:

9K2HH-YHMJ9-G2HDD-4D24R-HQF2Z
Picked this up, thanks a million!!

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. It absolutely shouldn't happen.

This is precisely why I don't like digital. I don't have control of the thing I bought.

I'm renting it.
Wait I thought the way this worked was you don't get to buy it anymore, but people who had already bought the game still get to download.

So this doesn't have much to do with control over what you bought as much as it does with control over what you can buy at any given moment.

I don't have a PS4 at the moment to check, but I'll try to redownload this tomorrow (bought it years ago)

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. It absolutely shouldn't happen.

This is precisely why I don't like digital. I don't have control of the thing I bought.

I'm renting it.
Delisting only prevents purchasing digitally from that point on, not redownloading. C'mon, for such a meme post you should at least know that beforehand.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Wait I thought the way this worked was you don't get to buy it anymore, but people who had already bought the game still get to download.

So this doesn't have much to do with control over what you bought as much as it does with control over what you can buy at any given moment.

I don't have a PS4 at the moment to check, but I'll try to redownload this tomorrow (bought it years ago)
Ah yeah. I had P.T. on my head for some reason.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I consider this good since i'm still pissed off at Ubisoft being boneheaded and not porting it to Wii U which led to it not ever getting a Tetris game on the system period despite how it made no sense for it not to and we ended up getting shovelware knockoffs like Heptrix instead.

and of course the aforementioned delisting and killing off of the GB VC Tetris game and Axis, but Axis is at least on the 3DS at retail. Speaking of which, it's a good game and you should buy it if you haven't, best Tetris game on the system by far next to the GB one. PS4 has Effect so it's not a loss on there either. Now maybe the Switch will finally get a Tetris game...

S2PID

Oct 31, 2017
Kinda worried about the day Puyo Puyo Tetris gets delisted on the Switch eShop since it's the only accessible modern Puyo game right now. Hopefully SEGA localizes another modern game by then.

SEGA AGES Puyo is cool and all but it has old controls and probably won't have good netplay I'm guessing.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
And people wonder why we go on and on about videogame preservation.

No, we're not filthy pirates, the very nature of the industry ensures that theres no solid mechanism in place to ensure that such games can exist a few decades from now.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, this game had such a broken online it was hilarious. The game was really good otherwise imho, don't agree with those shitting on the art design or its Tetris music remix. Had the online portion not be broken it would have been an excellent game of Tetris at a competitive price to boot. Too bad it got delisted but I still own it, so I'm not hampered by it.

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
Now the 3DS doesn't even have a Tetris game on the e-shop. GB Tetris and Tetris Axis were removed because of Tetris Ultimate. Now all 3 are gone.
I'm glad online stores don't try to revoke purchased licenses for games just because the publisher's license expires. Have both the GB and Axis games on my 3DS for this, and still go back to the GB one for some time-wasting fun. If Tetris DS was available digitally (have physical copy), oh, boy, that'd be fun!

Tetris, in particular, seems to be hit a lot with this. Guess because it's so popular and iconic that companies pay enough for the license to make it worth it to remove any possible competitors by removing other games that previously had the license. Doesn't do much for the consumer, but company licensing logic is a little above my paygrade. Maybe it's just hard to mess up basic Tetris, so they're fine with the only game available at any moment being the one from the company that last paid them a lot?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This is how the law works. Anything that is produced before the license expires can be sold. New copies (physical or digital) cannot be made after the license expires.

This is why codes are still sold at retail after delisting (those licenses were made before expiration) but new digital copies cannot be generated.

Ah okay I understand, very interesting! In my eyes the sale of something digital shouldn't count as a new copy being generated as data can be copied wholesale without losing any resources so we could stop "losing" games digitally atleast.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Ah okay I understand, very interesting! In my eyes the sale of something digital shouldn't count as a new copy being generated as data can be copied wholesale without losing any resources so we could stop "losing" games digitally atleast.

It's because when you issue a new digital copy, you're issuing a new license. And that's what triggers royalty/license payments to others.

Very loose example (these could be modified by license terms):
  • 1,000 physical discs made of a licensed game = license costs for 1,000 copies are due to rights holder
  • 1,000 digital download codes made of a licensed game = license costs for 1,000 copies are due to rights holder
  • Digital downloads sold as one off copies of a licensed game = license costs for the number of copies sold are due to rights holder
I can also give you a real-life example of a product I worked on.

It was a hardware product that went into retail production, but was cancelled at the last minute. We had to destroy the hardware that had been made due to license reasons. Third party software was in the ROM. If the company had given any units away to consumers (even if it was just a promo, and not a sale) it would have triggered minimum license payments.

Really, it's about the license moreso than the actual copy of the bits (be those bits pressed on a disc, or bits copied onto a hard drive from a server).

Think of delisting as "no more NEW licenses can be manufactured and sold, only existing licenses can be sold (or resold)."

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's because when you issue a new digital copy, you're issuing a new license. And that's what triggers royalty/license payments to others.

Very loose example (these could be modified by license terms):
  • 1,000 physical discs made of a licensed game = license costs for 1,000 copies are due to rights holder
  • 1,000 digital download codes made of a licensed game = license costs for 1,000 copies are due to rights holder
  • Digital downloads sold as one off copies of a licensed game = license costs for the number of copies sold are due to rights holder
I can also give you a real-life example of a product I worked on.

It was a hardware product that went into retail production, but was cancelled at the last minute. We had to destroy the hardware that had been made due to license reasons. Third party software was in the ROM. If the company had given any units away to consumers (even if it was just a promo, and not a sale) it would have triggered minimum license payments.

Really, it's about the license moreso than the actual copy of the bits (be those bits pressed on a disc, or bits copied onto a hard drive from a server).

Think of delisting as "no more NEW licenses can be manufactured and sold, only existing licenses can be sold (or resold)."

Ah I understand so it's more of a matter of the license directly vs the law. And knowing publishers or rather license-holders I'm sure they won't be willing to change much of that, it really paints a concerning future seeing how digital slowly takes more hold, seems like we will have a few more "lost" games in the future :/

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So at the present the Tetris license is only shared between Sega and Enhance, Inc.
Hopefully Nintendo can get the license again so they can re-release the GB and NES versions.