• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
End of the day, why shouldn't a GOTY be given to a game that basically the only bad thing people are even remotely able to say about it is that "it's just Tetris"?
You'll understand why if they release another Tetris Effect every other year, sooner or later you'll start questioning why it keeps getting picked as GOTY thinking "It's... just Tetris Effect" even though the only bad thing you're even remotely able to say about it is that, well, "it's just Tetris Effect".

As for myself, I haven't played Tetris Effect yet but I'm looking at a long gameplay video as I write this, fast-forwarding to find something special besides flashy visuals, but the only thing I'm thinking is that I've aready played this game so many many times before in different iterations.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it a joke?

It's a massive phenomenon of a game. Pulls in ridiculous player counts. Has been constantly updated. One of the top streamed games. And will likely have longer legs than most the games up for the GOTY this year

Should point out I don't particularly like the game myself but if someone voted it as GOTY I could understand
That's my opinion, everything you said and nothing of that makes it a good game or the best game of the year,you are just saying it is popular,and this I agree.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
My only criticism of this choice is that the game is an exclusive and I most likley will never play.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope never heard about it. Even when you on Era its impossible to follow every thread or game.
Good to hear its great tho.

AdventurousBackGallowaycow-size_restricted.gif

Now you've seen it.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The game itself looks great fun and I'm going to buy it soon. And no objection to Eurogamer naming it their game of the year.

But that is easily ther most mastubatory article I've seen about video games in a *long* time. It's terrible - full of ridiculous cliches and hyperbole, and an attempt to ascribe deeper meaning to things to justify "art". It does a very poor job of selling why the game is that good.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
That's my opinion, everything you said and nothing of that makes it a good game or the best game of the year,you are just saying it is popular,and this I agree.
The way that game is updated with not just balance patches and new content but weird as events that alter the state of the game world and systems is some revolutionary shit. Epic is putting Riot, Blizzard and Valve to shame right now.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Tetris Effect is awesome.

Eurogamer's choice, though, is a way to generate click, which is fine but it must be recognized. By choosing a game no one has ever chosen people would talk about it as this thread shows.

Also, while Tetris is one of my favourite games of all time, I feel GOTY awards should go to new games, unless there's not competition. This year competition was strong.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
Tetris Effect clearly has a lot of passion put into it by people who have been wanting to make a Tetris game for years and are perfect for the job. Seeing a lot of people here saying it doesn't deserve recognition breaks my heart.

Every game has passion put behind it by people making it, or at least plenty of contenders just as worthy. I bought Puyo Puyo Tetris fairly recently, and I don't really vibe with the presentation of this game as much. And I've played a lot of Tetris. Game of the year awards are always contested, it is a contest after all, granted I can get wanting the game to get some respect along the way.

I don't think my GOTY is likely to be selected by any site, SoulCalibur VI, fighting games don't tend to win it.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

Eurogamer's choice, though, is a way to generate click, which is fine but it must be recognized. By choosing a game no one has ever chosen people would talk about it as this thread shows.

Also, while Tetris is one of my favourite games of all time, I feel GOTY awards should go to new games, unless there's not competition. This year competition was strong.

So is God of War a "new" game?
Is Red Dead Redemption II a "new" game?

If yes, then why don't you consider Tetris Effect to be a "new" game?

S2PID

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who's followed puzzle gaming discussions for a while, there's something amusing to me about the "just Tetris" criticisms.

When Puyo Puyo Tetris came out, people kept calling the game "just Tetris"... even though the other half of the package was an entirely different puzzle game. And another third was SEGA trying to innovate and combine both of them. Somehow, Tetris manages to be the only thing that people pay attention to, while simultaneously being the game people want to criticize as nothing special.

Head-to-head competition doesn't really mesh with the design goals for this game. I get their reasoning.

But I still think it's a big flaw for the final product because modern Tetris usually isn't as well-suited for single-player gameplay as it is for multi.
Are you sure it's suited for multiplayer, Mr. Center 4-wider? Lol
Anyways, I'm surprised Mizuguchi didn't take a stab at inventing a better multiplayer garbage system. I'm sure he would've had good ideas.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, screw that. Screw everything about that. Because how do you know that? You're pulling it out of thin air. There's nothing that needs to be recognized about that at all.

To understand what I mean, just assume for a moment that they are completely 100% genuine with their choice. You obviously don't think that, but just assume they are for a moment anyway for this though exercise. If they are genuine, and it's not just clickbait, how are they to actually prove that? It's impossible. There's no way to prove it's not, because people like you just assume it is from the start, based on this or that, and there's no way to prove otherwise, simply because it's not the common choice and therefore must just be clickbait after all. You've already made up your mind, and there's no way to prove otherwise, because the whole thing's unfalsifiable from the start.

It's just silly and completely nonsensical and I don't get the point of stuff like this at all and what purpose this serves.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Oh Eurogamer....

That pick seems hipstery, and tbh a bit reductive. Something I've noticed over the years with Eurogamer, outisde of Digital Foundry, is that they come off very traditional and to a degree even cynical.

I wanna play the game myself, not at the price point it is at, but I do wanna pick it up and check it out. For all I know it could be great, but making this a GOTY seems more like a political point to prove something as opposed to the game being evaluated on its own merrits.

Is it as good as puyo puyo Tetris?
I think both games have different purposes, despite having the same general gameplay. PPT is what you play if you want a meat 'n potatoes Tetris experience and enjoy direct competition with other players, with all the modes you could really want, while Tetris Effect is what happens when someone comes up with a new way to both play and enjoy Tetris and gears it towards being an all-encompassing experience over anything else. In that way, someone who loves PPT may not dig Effect, and vice versa, but it's really cool to have two excellent takes one of the few perfect games on the market right now.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Tetris Effect really shouldn't be compared to PPT. Tetris Effect is much more of a singular, focused experience while PPT is a fairly silly party game with a focus on quantity of play modes.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
I don't understand this, there's no Oscar-worthy storyline and you don't shoot/slice anyone. Is it even a video game?!
Having a wispy ethereal aesthetic presentation makes it Oscar worthy. It would seem the perhaps just as good if not better Puyo Puyo Tetris game is not nearly dignified enough to have been considered for awards in it's year. Also hit PC this year.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
I bought one over the other, they have the same core gameplay, can't say I concur there.

By that logic, The New Tetris from 20 years ago is also the same game, despite having its own presentation and modes.

You can't gloss over presentation to write off a game. All of Mizuguchi's games are about a simple gameplay loop with immersive synesthetic elements; he is one of the best creators of this sort of experience. All of Tetris Effect's modes pivot around this core conceit. It is diametrically different from the cute anime style and madcap nature of PPT.

Ignoring this difference is disingenuous.

Having a wispy ethereal aesthetic presentation makes it Oscar worthy. It would seem the perhaps just as good if not better Puyo Puyo Tetris game is not nearly dignified enough to have been considered for awards in it's year.

There are stages that don't conform to that aesthetic.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's followed puzzle gaming discussions for a while, there's something amusing to me about the "just Tetris" criticisms.

When Puyo Puyo Tetris came out, people kept calling the game "just Tetris"... even though the other half of the package was an entirely different puzzle game. And another third was SEGA trying to innovate and combine both of them. Somehow, Tetris manages to be the only thing that people pay attention to, while simultaneously being the game people want to criticize as nothing special.

Are you sure it's suited for multiplayer, Mr. Center 4-wider? Lol
Anyways, I'm surprised Mizuguchi didn't take a stab at inventing a better multiplayer garbage system. I'm sure he would've had good ideas.
I think the lack of multiplayer might be some kind of Tetris licensing weirdness.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
By that logic, The New Tetris from 20 years ago is also the same game, despite having its own presentation and modes.

You can't gloss over presentation to write off a game. All of Mizuguchi's games are about a simple gameplay loop with immersive synesthetic elements; he is one of the best creators of this sort of experience. All of Tetris Effect's modes pivot around this core conceit. It is diametrically different from the cute anime style and madcap nature of PPT.

Ignoring this difference is disingenuous.
That's not what I said at all. You said these two games can't be compared. I'm not writing it off, I compared it to another Tetris game that hit steam this year, and that one appeals to me more. I'm not discrediting anyone's interest or apprecation for this game. But I do think it's a bit unfair to Puyo Puyo Tetris to say it's silly just based on the surface level art style and story type of thing, when it has all the Tetris goodness in it. And not everyone is going to consider these particular visual effects and stylistic choices to be more of an experience, or more immersive. We have different flavors of Tetris to choose from, and that's cool, and I think needless to say they're comparable.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's not even the best Tetris game of this generation, but Tetris is just about as perfect as games get, and as such a good version of Tetris is going to be a legitimate GOTY contender in any year.

It almost feels unfair, like putting a chess set in the running for Board Game of the Year. Almost.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
It's honestly just sad to see a forum full of so many people who would consider themselves to be gaming enthusiasts unable to comprehend a game that isn't a big budget narrative driven adventure/action game winning GOTY.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I would put it as my GOTY but it'son my list and the best version of Tetris I have ever played. Yes, better than Puyo Puyo.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly just sad to see a forum full of so many people who would consider themselves to be gaming enthusiasts unable to comprehend a game that isn't a big budget narrative driven adventure/action game winning GOTY.
I've been here since the beginning and I would say most people (not all) here have very surface level appreciation for video games. Which isn't a bad thing but you still get a lot of shallow reductive hot takes.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
History will not look fondly on this choice.
How so? I feel that sites going with typical AAA fare will age poorly. As a long time collector and player of games, the big AAA releases tend to be the games I replay the least. It'll stand the test of time. Games like God of War, Red Dead and the like are great but in ten years time, I doubt I'll ever pop them in again.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Breathing new life into such a constant fixture of gaming is never an easy task. Yet, Tetris Effect managed to do just that. Deserved.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
How so? I feel that sites going with typical AAA fare will age poorly. As a long time collector and player of games, the big AAA releases tend to be the games I replay the least. It'll stand the test of time. Games like God of War, Red Dead and the like are great but in ten years time, I doubt I'll ever pop them in again.

In ten years we'll be lucky if our PS4s still work in general.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You'll understand why if they release another Tetris Effect every other year, sooner or later you'll start questioning why it keeps getting picked as GOTY thinking "It's... just Tetris Effect" even though the only bad thing you're even remotely able to say about it is that, well, "it's just Tetris Effect".

As for myself, I haven't played Tetris Effect yet but I'm looking at a long gameplay video as I write this, fast-forwarding to find something special besides flashy visuals, but the only thing I'm thinking is that I've aready played this game so many many times before in different iterations.

Holy shit this is embarassing. Watching let's plays of a puzzle game to find out why people enjoy it so much?! Like, you even say you haven't played it, so why the fuck are you in here arguing against it?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this, there's no Oscar-worthy storyline and you don't shoot/slice anyone. Is it even a video game?!
It's the - I've already played this 20 times before - that is the problem, not the lack of story or killing. Sequels often get complaints if they're too similar to their predecessor. Re-releasing a 35 year old game that has already got numerous re-releases with new visuals should be considered slightly worse.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this is embarassing. Watching let's plays of a puzzle game to find out why people enjoy it so much?! Like, you even say you haven't played it, so why the fuck are you in here arguing against it?
Because from the look of it I have already played it? I already know how Tetris plays so what makes this Tetris so much different that I can't get from looking at a video?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Tetris Effect gave me an emotional response that no other game in 2018 did, so I can respect this choice.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
So is God of War a "new" game?
Is Red Dead Redemption II a "new" game?

If yes, then why don't you consider Tetris Effect to be a "new" game?

A more apt question would be: "Is Hyrule Warriors DX a new game?" and the answer would be: "No, it's not".

God of War and Red Dead Redemption II are new games as they are sufficiently different from predecessors.

By the way, I'm the type of gamer who mainly plays Japanese games, rhythm'n'games, puzzle games and typically avoids AAA games---just to be clear, my point is not about "Tetris Effect is not a real game" because I think it is and in fact I vastly preferred it to 90% of games released this year.

No, screw that. Screw everything about that. Because how do you know that? You're pulling it out of thin air. There's nothing that needs to be recognized about that at all.

To understand what I mean, just assume for a moment that they are completely 100% genuine with their choice. You obviously don't think that, but just assume they are for a moment anyway for this though exercise. If they are genuine, and it's not just clickbait, how are they to actually prove that? It's impossible. There's no way to prove it's not, because people like you just assume it is from the start, based on this or that, and there's no way to prove otherwise, simply because it's not the common choice and therefore must just be clickbait after all. You've already made up your mind, and there's no way to prove otherwise, because the whole thing's unfalsifiable from the start.

It's just silly and completely nonsensical and I don't get the point of stuff like this at all and what purpose this serves.

I worked in the media industry and I've been following gaming press since at least two decades. I know Eurogamer and to me it's clear this choice aims at clicks. As I said, this is totally fine and there's nothing wrong with that: gaming media needs to ramp up clicks and some choices are clearly aimed at that.

I don't think Tetris Effect wouldn't be the choice of many people in Eurogamer---I just think that the choice itself was driven by click-baiting.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this a few days ago with some Christmas PSN cards. Who would have thunk that Tetris could be an emotional experience.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A more apt question would be: "Is Hyrule Warriors DX a new game?" and the answer would be: "No, it's not".

God of War and Red Dead Redemption II are new games as they are sufficiently different from predecessors.

By the way, I'm the type of gamer who mainly plays Japanese games, rhythm'n'games, puzzle games and typically avoids AAA games---just to be clear, my point is not about "Tetris Effect is not a real game" because I think it is and in fact I vastly preferred it to 90% of games released this year.

I worked in the media industry and I've been following gaming press since at least two decades. I know Eurogamer and to me it's clear this choice aims at clicks. As I said, this is totally fine and there's nothing wrong with that: gaming media needs to ramp up clicks and some choices are clearly aimed at that.

I don't think Tetris Effect wouldn't be the choice of many people in Eurogamer---I just think that the choice itself was driven by click-baiting.
Seeing how this played out internally, I can tell you that this was never about clicks. Tetris and Fortnite basically came out on top in discussions and voting. That's what everyone wanted and it was extremely split. People were passionate about those games rather than clicks.

As the article notes, Oli had to make the final call himself which was not an easy thing I'd imagine. I'm just happy Tetris won out as it was my personal number two.