• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muzzymate

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Had this game on an old low-end PC and absolutely loved it.

This game looks mind-blowingly fantastic playing on my good ol' Samsung plasma TV and Xbox One X. So happy to have this game come to the Microsoft platform. Launching into GamePass takes the cake! My friends think I'm nuts still talking about this game, but it's such a great experience (Rez and Lumines being some of my favorite past games).

Also, that Classic Score Attack music...

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh geez, I just realised that I'll be playing this with an Xbox 360 controller :/

I wonder if it will pick up my hitbox?

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
You're right, it's "just" Tetris.

However, the presentation really elevates it into a unique experience than "just Tetris." Boggles my mind how someone can go through the journey (especially in VR), finish metamorphosis and go like "cool, but it's just tetris"

Completely missed the whole fucking point.

Also there ARE new stuff (new mechanic and modes). Comparison to Pacman CE is weird.. that one is like "Here's a completely new way to play Pacman" and really this one is more like "Here's a completely new way to experience Tetris"
I think Lumines, blows this out presentation wise and Puyo Puyo Tetris blows this out content wise.
The soundtrack here is notnas good as Tetsuya's other games IMO. I haven't played it in VR, but I bought the PS4 version on release and didn't get all the hype for it to get on all of these GOTY lists.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think Lumines, blows this out presentation wise and Puyo Puyo Tetris blows this out content wise.
The soundtrack here is notnas good as Tetsuya's other games IMO. I haven't played it in VR, but I bought the PS4 version on release and didn't get all the hype for it to get on all of these GOTY lists.

Puyo Puyo maybe blows it out if you're into Puyo Puyo, but if you're into Tetris this update beats it hands down. There's 10 unique modes in Effect, with even more if you count the other options + remixes. There's the journey mode all with their own boards, effects and music and then with this update you get the fleshed out online that works extremely well. ,

You have multiple online options on play even including a mode that has unique physics and piece generation to match the NES version of Tetris. On top of that a boss battle AI mode where the boards merge, unique and cool effects that remind of Battle Tetris on the SNES.

This is the best Tetris package I've ever played and I've played like 10k+ hours of Tetris over the past 15 years.

I will agree with you on Lumines in some aspects though. I just like the soundtrack there more, i'd even argue that Shinin' is better than the entire soundtrack for Tetris Effect (though the classic vs beat is amazing). I'd love to see a new Lumines with the budget of this Tetris game. That would be fantastic.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
so turning HDR on in the settings seems to turn it off? it's waaaayyy brighter with it set it off...

also the game says use headphones or surround sound, but I don't hear anything at all coming out of the surround speakers...

game seems nuts so far tho! and I still sucks at Tetris.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Go

Lumines is way too messy for its own good. Some stages are just awful design wise.

Dragonfly224

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm addicted to this game. I'm not very good at it but I can't stop playing. Send help! 🤣
Ranked Match Connected is pretty great!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
So much better/faster at this game with an XB1 controller than I am with a DS4. Feels good although the HDR seems off (edit: ah, I needed to set it to "on" in settings, I guess).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first d-pad I've ever liked on an Xbox controller. Man is it loud playing Tetris but it actually feels good.

Oct 29, 2017
so turning HDR on in the settings seems to turn it off? it's waaaayyy brighter with it set it off...

also the game says use headphones or surround sound, but I don't hear anything at all coming out of the surround speakers...

game seems nuts so far tho! and I still sucks at Tetris.

Ya I couldn't figure out what was going on with HDR, because when you turn it off in-game, things look so much better and it's still outputting an HDR signal so I dunno! I turned it off, and WOW. What a gorgeous game!

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Played this for over 6 hours yesterday hahaha. Love it to bits. Can only imagine how lovely it would have been in VR.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have problems with Kaleidoscope's performance on the PC version? I have the epic version of normal Tetris effect and I get 144 fps at 1440p, but on connected I get like 42 fps locked... it's weird

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My PC version switches back to 1080p (from 4k, doesn't matter if it's windowed / full screen) whenever it switches screens in multiplayer.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have problems with Kaleidoscope's performance on the PC version? I have the epic version of normal Tetris effect and I get 144 fps at 1440p, but on connected I get like 42 fps locked... it's weird

I do.

I'm running a 1060 3gb and when I get to this state, I'm getting single digit fps.

This stage needs a patch asap.

Oct 25, 2017
This matchmaking seems pretty dead right now on Xbox. I got my ass kicked by some dude in regular score attack (They got an S Rank) and now I can't find another match lol

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about playing this by myself because that's the way I like Tetris, but after watching the Quick Look on it, I am really curious on how much fun the co-op is. It does look like a lot of fun.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if there's nobody playing online or if the matchmaking is just borked. The closest I've gotten to playing Connected mode was having one other player join after several minutes of waiting, then watching them leave after waiting several more minutes for a third person to show up with no luck.

Dermotbubz

Sep 19, 2020
So was playing tetris on my series x just now which i love! Then i decided to play Call Of Duty Warzone which had just finished installing. Finished a game of solos which i amazing won on my first try on the series x and decided to go back to tetris which loaded up in quick resume.

This was the first time i had used quick resume on the series x. The game quickly loaded back into the map screen and i selected the second stage. After about 30 seconds of playing the level the game crashed and closed.

I hope thats not going to be an ongoing issue with quick resume, i mean it wasnt even as if i was mid level.

Anyway... back to the game!

Oct 28, 2017
Orbital view from the Effect mode a little while ago

871c453a-c56d-4fb6-ablqkd5.png

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Matchmaking is full of savages. Got straight up grandmaster whopped a few games in a row.

But it's working pretty well. On the PC version at least, I've had no problems finding games.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
Multi player made realise I suck at tetris. The PC version seems to have issues with Hdr and resolution settings.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think that option is meant to be present on Xbox. HDR is a system level toggle in every HDR enabled game I've played on Xbox. On PS4/pro games there's always an in game toggle so maybe this is some legacy option that didn't get removed.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
There's a special level they give out for this game if you play on June 6th, the birthday of Tetris. You can get it now on PC by using the method below:

On the title screen put in the Konami Code - Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A

After that type in 06061984 for the 1984 level

ok5MyZk.png

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Thought I would be trying a bunch of other games, instead my tail has been sitting here playing Tetris on the Series X for an hour 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

This game is absolutely gorgeous, fun to play, and the music is great.

What have I been missing out on in the Tetris world?!

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to clarify and I apologise if this has already been asked (I couldn't see it.)

Is Tetris Connected a completely different game? Or does this have all the content of Tetris Effect? Specifically the one on Game Pass.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Just wanted to clarify and I apologise if this has already been asked (I couldn't see it.)

Is Tetris Connected a completely different game? Or does this have all the content of Tetris Effect? Specifically the one on Game Pass.

It's an updated version of Tetris Effect that will come to the older versions later on. The single player portion is the same except for new graphical features added for the PC version and now the Xbox versions (might be why the base XB1 version runs so bad?). The new stuff is the online.

Thought I would be trying a bunch of other games, instead my tail has been sitting here playing Tetris on the Series X for an hour 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Have you ever watched the Classic Tetris World Championships? That shit is pretty crazy if you're interested in the Tetris world, though the matches can be pretty long even though they're playing on the crazy NES versions since the skill levels are just so high now.

The classic score attack mode actually copies the overlay from the CTWC which is awesome.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
It's an updated version of Tetris Effect that will come to the older versions later on. The single player portion is the same except for new graphical features added for the PC version and now the Xbox versions (might be why the base XB1 version runs so bad?). The new stuff is the online.

Thank you! I was interested in grabbing it on game pass but only for the single player. Great to hear. :)

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody experiencing issues playing this on Series X? I've had it crash now a couple times: once to the dashboard, another time it turned my console off entirely. Both times were when coming out of a Zone combo - the screen would just freeze and the music would continue for another 10-15 seconds before crashing.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

I'm with ya!! Amazing game I just played with my son... He beat me (once ;)). So fun, and the music and ambiance is legit. Glad I loaded it up, and looking forward to my wife kicking my ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Game seems awesome -- and also a reminder of how terrible I am at Tetris.

I'm also a little confused about the HDR implementation. It defaults to "Off", which is brighter than "On", but also seems a little blown out.

I'm using HDR "On" as that still looks great and shows more detail, but things like the menu seem so much darker.

Edit: Switching between the modes again, I'm actually not sure which I prefer. I don't have the most high end TV, so that may be why, but it is interesting to see others mention the same thing.

Last edited:

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Got a video of the secret level in full. The building in this run is fucking wild please ignore it, but I at least didn't top out. This level is hard as hell because it's difficult to tell which piece is coming up next due to the color situation. I love the dumb background though. What a legend.

Also, something much more impressive that I'm just sharing because I'm happy with the performance I had on Master Mode. This mode is my favorite part of Tetris Effect tbh. Probably the one I end up playing the most whenever I boot this game up. This one is a new high score for me, but also new line clear record. Score is so much higher since I'm starting closer to M15 at the beginning. I might end up just playing from M15 from the getgo for the extra points. Once you get past M15 speed it gets kind of unruly. You can see how fast blocks stack up at M18 when I take a half second to breathe.

I'm supposed to go on a nature trail walk in like 4 and a half hours and here I am still playing Tetris. This game is wonderful

Last edited:

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Multiplayer doesn't seem to match me with anyone. I've tried loads of different options, but I seem to be just 'waiting for player' or 'searching'. I haven't played a single match (UK here).

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the mass quote but I definitely think there's something wrong with multiplayer. I'm on a one x at the moment, in the UK.

I have all the problems below. If I cold boot the game I can have one multi player match. After that I get endless searching which also locks the game and means that no button presses work at all. I have to reboot the game to play anything.
Hopefully the devs are aware and it's a quick patch to fix.
Anyone finding it hard to find a multiplayer game? UK Xb here.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding matches in Classic Score Attack and Connected mode and the game has a habit of becoming unresponsive while looking for a match. forcing a restart.

Definitely.
This matchmaking seems pretty dead right now on Xbox. I got my ass kicked by some dude in regular score attack (They got an S Rank) and now I can't find another match lol
Can't even find a ranked match for the first area. LOL These modes sound cool too. :(
I can't tell if there's nobody playing online or if the matchmaking is just borked. The closest I've gotten to playing Connected mode was having one other player join after several minutes of waiting, then watching them leave after waiting several more minutes for a third person to show up with no luck.
Trying to play another match after dashboard puts me in a loop that I must quit and relaunch.
Multiplayer doesn't seem to match me with anyone. I've tried loads of different options, but I seem to be just 'waiting for player' or 'searching'. I haven't played a single match (UK here).

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
That game is a serious blast. It's really a "simple" concept of Tetris with effects but in movement it's the most impressive game I've played in a long time! Music wise it is quite epic as well I have to say. It's interesting to see how Mizuguchi manage to carry and keep on improving the Rez formula.

Same here, don't know what's up with that level. I'm getting a consistent 200+ frames at 1080p on the other levels but it dropped to 13 fps with Kaleidoscope. Managed to get past this level on 20 fps while setting it to Low.

I'm using a RX 5700 XT. Installed the latest drivers but it didn't change anything.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got a video of the secret level in full. The building in this run is fucking wild please ignore it, but I at least didn't top out. This level is hard as hell because it's difficult to tell which piece is coming up next due to the color situation. I love the dumb background though. What a legend.
Slightly OT but any strats for tips on building? On slower levels I can do ok building wells, and using the hold slot...but are there strats for what kind of "surface" to have while building?

I try to have a mix of flat bits and 1-square sticking up bits to soak up square blocks and the annoying z blocks...but I struggle with 2 square high sticking up bits and l shapes.

Should I always be aiming to have one 2 square high stick, to soak up an L that appears?

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Okay, playing on a base X1, and I haven't had any issues in Journey or multiplayer, but holy shit, I made it to Metamorphosis, and the frame skips are killing me.

Tap the "A" button in time with the little dot under your play field area. Think of it as a super precise QTE. You'll notice you hit it when the lights throb and your field will begin filling up with your assigned color. You need to fill it all the way, so missing a few is okay, it just slows you down on reviving.