• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No it wasn't and any moderator is free to verify on that.
Then I've got no idea either. That's weird as hell.

The most shocking aspect to me is charging 40 dollars US for Tetris.

Tetris® Effect: Connected

Tetris® Effect Connected is Tetris like youve never seen it, or heard it, or felt it before—an incredibly addictive, unique, and breathtakingly gorgeous reinvention of one of the most popular puzzle games of all time, from the people who brought you the award-winning Rez Infinite and legendary...

???

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Hahaha, holy shit. I almost bought Tetris Effect today.. Glad I held off. This will be way, way cooler with my Oculus Quest (Virtual Desktop streaming)

Not sure how it works when running from the EGS, but if it loads up SteamVR regardless it'll work just fine. Gotta say that is pretty funny if true. I'll have to wait for someone to test and confirm.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I got a Vive and not an Oculus because I don't support walled gardens on PC. This is worse in a lot of ways. At least Oculus funds new games.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
you should wait to reward the people who actually made the technology the game runs on, IMO. If you can stand waiting a year, it'd be nice if you picked it up outside of the EGS.

I wish, but I need my Tetris fix since my PS4 is out of commission.

For you my friend I'll gift a copy out once it launches on Steam.

I got a Vive and not an Oculus because I don't support walled gardens on PC. This is worse in a lot of ways. At least Oculus funds new games.

Yeah it's pretty sad to see a VR title relegated to this. I'm still the idiot that is gonna buy it, but it's against the spirit of the current PC VR community.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
One of these days we're finally going to have an Epic Games Store thread that doesn't need to have "See Staff Posts" in the title -_-'

Anyway, this game has always looked cool as hell, glad I'll finally be able to play it.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
RFIPaqu.png

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Yes. Steam is not a store, steam is a client. A client is a bundle of technologies games use. Think of Steam more like DirectX, or XInput. When you release a game on the Epic client, you are intentionally missing a ton of Steam client features. Imagine of a game release on the Xbox from a company, and that company said they have a competitor to xbox live, called GameBox Live. GameBox Live was missing features of Xbox Live, and the features that it did match were still separate. So like, maybe GameBox Live lacks the ability to party up and voice chat, but it has a friendslist, but that friendslist is entirely separate from the Xbox Live friendslist. People would rightfully be pissed that a game on the Xbox was skipping Xbox Live for this inferior competitor.

That is the difference between Steam and Epic clients. Except steam is by far the most robust client around, with lots more features than in the Xbox Live comparison. Example: Steam acts as a translation layer for Linux these days. So if you game on Linux, the difference is literally the ability to play the game or not at all.

Right, so in actual reality if I just want to play the full single player Tetris Effect experience, the game is fine? It supports the Xbox One pad?

Like Sonic Mania runs on both Xbox and Switch but the core game is identical, despite different ecosystems?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The most shocking aspect to me is charging 40 dollars US for Tetris.
The value is going to come down to how much you appreciate Mizuguchi's style of music/sound effect integration into the various levels. It's really the same exact concept as Lumines applied to Tetris, it isn't "just Tetris" as quite a bit of work went into designing each of the 27 levels around their respective songs.

Personally, I love every one of his games and will buy them on practically every platform they show up on.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, so in actual reality if I just want to play the full single player Tetris Effect experience, the game is fine? It supports the Xbox One pad?

Like Sonic Mania runs on both Xbox and Switch but the core game is identical, despite different ecosystems?

Depends on the operating system you run. And there are single player features that will be missing from the EGS version because those features don't exist in the epic client, like single player leaderboards or cloud saves.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of these days we're finally going to have an Epic Games Store thread that doesn't need to have "See Staff Posts" in the title -_-'

Anyway, this game has always looked cool as hell, glad I'll finally be able to play it.
Well.... Ideally, when that day comes, it will be because there won't need to be an Epic Games Store thread unless it's about them updating their client, or Epic making a new game.

This shouldn't have needed to be an EGS thread, because they shouldn't have moneyhatted this game.

I'm OK with Epic picking up PS4 exclusives. Less reasons to buy another console.
Epic had nothing to do with the development of this game. The additional money from Epic is going to fund an executive's lambo.

See their last game, which came to PC without Epic's money.
store.steampowered.com

Rez Infinite on Steam

The legendary action-shooter finally comes to PC, and in style! Blast your way through mind-melting visuals and amazing beats, all in your quest through cyberspace to save a world on the verge of collapse. Playable on your desktop or in fully immersive VR.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Depends on the operating system you run. And there are single player features that will be missing from the EGS version because those features don't exist in the epic client, like single player leaderboards or cloud saves.

Windows 10.

Are these features confirmed to be missing? Personally, I'm not bothered about them and so the actual game itself is fine as far as I can see.

Oct 25, 2017
I had some critical impressions of this game when I played the psvr demo, but l'm open to trying it again. Visually, being not a jaggy low res mess like on base PS4 will be a big improvement. Of course, having to choose between a Vive/pro oled headset with a higher amount of sde with primo colors and better blacks vs the higher frame rate, better audio, no sde, worse colors, worse blacks of the index will be very dicey and up to the individual.

But of course, EG exclusivity makes the choice much easier. Not touching it, unless it's a free weekly game like Subnautica.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Windows 10.

Are these features confirmed to be missing? Personally, I'm not bothered about them and so the actual game itself is fine as far as I can see.

The EGS has no built in leaderboard functions. It's not a feature of the EGS. Games with leaderboards use built in client features. Like Playstation games with leaderboards use a built in playstation function. Same with steam, microsoft games (through their xbox live interface). Leaderboards require infrastructure that doesn't exist on the EGS client. There have already been other games that had to have their leaderboard function stripped because of the EGS. The game launches tomorrow, and the EGS still has no leaderboard function built in, so yeah, it's not going to have them.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Why are folks saying they'll wait a year? There's no indication that a later Steam release will happen. Entirely likely it would remain EGS exclusive.

People have already mentioned the confirmation of this being a timed deal. But I'll add that the moment Epic does get a permanent exclusive they'll be sure to let people know during the game's announcement. It would be useless to pay for a game to never come to other platforms and not tell people that that's the case.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
LOL and I even have my Vive coming next month but I'll be damned if I support that asshole Sweeney.
I'd rather not play it at all, out of the sheer principle of the matter.
If others are willing to forgo for whats right and whats wrong in the PC games market, that is your choice but as I said many times before if we all don't take a stand then this will keep happening and no matter what you think, it will not get better.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The EGS has no built in leaderboard functions. It's not a feature of the EGS. Games with leaderboards use built in client features. Like Playstation games with leaderboards use a built in playstation function. Same with steam, microsoft games (through their xbox live interface). Leaderboards require infrastructure that doesn't exist on the EGS client. There have already been other games that had to have their leaderboard function stripped because of the EGS. The game launches tomorrow, and the EGS still has no leaderboard function built in, so yeah, it's not going to have them.
That's incredible.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess we aren't gonna talk about Tetris are we?
What do you want to talk about? The game came out last year, has had numerous appreciation threads, and has an OT.

This thread is about the PC version, the only features of which we know about are which VR platforms it supports, its release date, and the fact that the publisher sold their soul to Tim Sweeney.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
This game looked pretty fun and I have been wanting to try it in VR since it launched, but I wasn't going to shell out money for a console I will never use after that and a VR system since I already own a Vive. This will be the first time I have bought a Tetris game in like 20 years.

I can wait one more year, Tim. NBD. Thanks for the free games though.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I guess we aren't gonna talk about Tetris are we?

FWIW this specific version of tetris is one of my favorite ever, and Tetris itself is one of my favorite games of all time, and waaaaaay before this was a game, I used to talk about The Tetris Effect all the time. This is a combination of everything I love, basically. I posted just a few days ago about how I wish The Tetris Effect would come to PC.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i mean there's nothing stopping them from using their own leaderboards right? then theyll just not be super great and shut them down in a few years

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017

Oh well, but it won't spoil my enjoyment of finally being able to play Tetris effect. I understand others wanting to wait it out, but I could drop dead or life priorities might be different by the time of a steam release so I'll enjoy it now 😁

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FWIW this specific version of tetris is one of my favorite ever, and Tetris itself is one of my favorite games of all time, and waaaaaay before this was a game, I used to talk about The Tetris Effect all the time. This is a combination of everything I love, basically. I posted just a few days ago about how I wish The Tetris Effect would come to PC.
I definitely remember your posts in the OT unless I'm mistaken. It's one of my favorites as well and I can't wait to play it on a nicer headset, and hopefully get some acceptable results from streaming to the Quest. I knew a PC version was inevitable (unannounced release delay with Rez Infinite as well) , but I wasn't expecting it so soon. Actually now looking it up it seems they both share Fall-next Summer releases.

These threads are just a bit depressing is all. They all go the same way and invite a bunch of disengenuous posts and overwhelms any talk of the game itself.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
These threads are just a bit depressing is all. They all go the same way and invite a bunch of disengenuous posts and overwhelms any talk of the game itself.
if only there was some way they could have known that this would happen

like every other time when hundreds of twitter replies, youtube comments, and posts on enthusiast subreddits openly call for piracy or boycott

maybe it's not the best for the long term health of your product when most of the discussion about it ends up negative before launch but what do i know im just a casual observer not some super smart business person they never make mistakes

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if only there was some way they could have known that this would happen

like every other time when hundreds of twitter replies, youtube comments, and posts on enthusiast subreddits openly call for piracy or boycott

maybe it's not the best for the long term health of your product but what do i know im just a casual observer not some super smart business person they never make mistakes
But what can you tell me about Tetris? Can you pull off a t-spin at speed 10? I've only done it by accident, gun to my head I doubt I could recreate it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a no brainer for PC with the availability of VR headsets.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
While I played a little bit of Tetris Effect (And really enjoyed it) I'm not actually good at Tetris.

Is this something that I should still pick up or do the later levels get insane? I have a VR headset so I'm very interested.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
wow.. didn't see this one coming to PC at all, but I'm glad it's coming out. That means we may see Dragon Quest Builders some day.. please EGS, throw some money at S-E, thanks.