• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Interesting that EGS will support VR games, I wonder how well it will work with them. Doesn't seem like the best platform for them at this point in time
They already do but I don't think they have a VR exclusive game yet and instead they have game with optional VR modes.

A PC VR exclusive game I doubt would sell that well on EGS, there are a number of store front that already exist on PC that have exclusive VR games (Steam and the Oculus store, also the Vive port site?)

I can only imagine the kind of help you would get with the game if it was a EGS exclusive

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Awesome!

Let me tell you, you PCVR guys are in for a treat.

No Quest version is a little odd though. I wonder if it's too hardware intensive?

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
So, this will probably use either the Oculus or SteamVR stuff to run on VR headsets?

Epic Games Store:
751283.jpg

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I haven't bought this yet...but now hoping for Oculus Quest at some point...

I'm definitely conflicted. I almost never buy anything at launch prices (because digital products are inherently worthless and I don't like paying launch prices for it), but I would have made the rare exception and day one'd a Steam listing for 31.99.

But ultimately, I've been wondering if this was going to be Sony exclusive. So Quest seems like a legit question now. And it'd absolutely be my preferred platform (by a long shot). I probably should hold out a bit and EGS exclusivity definitely makes that easier for me. I might still cave (and buy my first EGS game), but probably not at launch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see how EGS works with SteamVR.

You can check now. The Epic Store version of Subnautica runs fine using SteamVR if you have a PCVR headset plugged in.

I'm gonna tell you now, it won't. I know EGS games can't even be launched through Steam.

Most I've tried do. I've played Hades through Steam today because I use the Steam Universal Controller thing to use my Steam controller. And you don't need to run Tetris Effect through Steam to use SteamVR. The API will just load up in the background once you launch the game from the Epic Store. It doesn't need to be added to your Steam library or anything.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this sounds awesome. I would love to play the game with the insane image quality of PC VR.

I hope some form of Tetris 99 also makes its way to PC.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's going on my wishlist of PC games to buy whenever I get around to building a gaming PC.

Hopefully EGS will have a wishlist function by the time you build your PC.

I'm interested in picking this up if it's priced appropriately. As amazing as the visuals look, I'm not sure if I want to pay full price for another variation of Tetris.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm definitely conflicted. I almost never buy anything at launch prices (because digital products are inherently worthless and I don't like paying launch prices for it), but I would have made the rare exception and day one'd a Steam listing for 31.99.

But ultimately, I've been wondering if this was going to be Sony exclusive. So Quest seems like a legit question now. And it'd absolutely be my preferred platform (by a long shot). I probably should hold out a bit and EGS exclusivity definitely makes that easier for me. I might still cave (and buy my first EGS game), but probably not at launch.

Probably hit Quest in another year I'm guessing. I only stream PCVR to my Quest (experience type stuff) so Tetris is out (latency bad). I'll probably buy for PSVR now when it hits like $10-$15 (likely soon now that exclusivity is ending) and then double-dip for Quest.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Actual lols.

Anyway, I'm gonna wait until I see how EGS works with OpenVR titles. If it has problems, I can wait for steam where there are at least plugins to make my WMR headset work correctly.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So, this will probably use either the Oculus or SteamVR stuff to run on VR headsets?

Epic Games Store:
751283.jpg

For what it's worth, that would be a really strange road for them to go down.

Though that being said, they should be supporting openVR by default.

Exclusive for now or forever?

Most likely a year, just like...basically every game on EGS.

Not having this game on every VR storefront possible is money left on the table, even with the super lucrative EGS deal.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes. If the VR has WMR support like Trover, I'm all in to double dip. This game is special and I don't have PSVR, so I missed out on that part.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
score another one for "if the console platform holder doesn't have a copyright on it, it's probably not gonna stay exclusive"

This and Journey are simultaneously artsy as well as big games. They aren't niche. Both have won game of the year recommendations commonly. The smallest things that have gotten moneyhatted are probably What the Golf and the Goose Game.
also Kine and Atomicrops

OP
OP
PaulLFC

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
The dislike ratio on that video is pretty high. Was it unlisted to begin with, or did they unlist it some time after it went out?

I'm gonna tell you now, it won't. I know EGS games can't even be launched through Steam.
It was unlisted when I posted - I found it via Eurogamer who embedded it, it had like 20 views or something. Not sure why it's unlisted.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
How is this as an actual Tetris game? Arika does such amazing work with the IP, 99 with the DLC is very complete to me.

I get that this is about the visuals, but it'd be fun to have my cake and eat it to with this one.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hey PC players... It's all connected, we're all together in this life, don't you forget it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes yes yes!!!! I gave my self a deadline. If this game didn't come to PC by October then I will buy a PS4 to play it. But deep down I knew it was coming 🙂🙂 This saves me a bunch of money and I finally get to play the game I've wanted.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): trolling
Uh…
I'll just wait for the Steam release.

That's the mod-sanctioned response to this bullshit, right?
Are we allowed to call it bullshit? Am I going to be banned for that?

Exclusive for now or forever?
Games are typically exclusive for 6–12 months.

Shoulda waited instead of getting it on PS4...Oh well.
And people really think that something as expensive as Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be exclusive.
They probably still thought of the original as a PSX exclusive until recently too, despite there being a PC release in 1998.

Oct 29, 2017
It's up on the store now. Pre-order bonuses don't seem to be up though, or at least, I can't find a way to download them

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Tetris Effect lived up to the hype in every single way, I would've bought it if my only option was GFWL or the W10 store, really

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Its coming too soon and I kinda want it. But I don't know how good EGS's VR support is.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I mean Sony wasn't even the *publisher* so it was really really obviously temporary.
That's been discussed in previous topics about TE around here: they did were co-publishers, mostly for the retail version. We could say it's part of the reason why the game is still a console exclusive, or wasn't available anywhere else for almost ten months. Pretty much like Nioh, so, from their perspective, it wasn't in exchange of nothing.

Still, to what Manchego was saying, I think there are no rules anymore. Detroit, Beyond or Journey are licenses whose copyright belong to Sony, yet they were equally released on EGS. If an arrangement makes sense for the platform holder, it might come to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Epic launcher even have a VR UI? Or do you have to launch the game from your monitor and then put on the headset?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 days): justifying piracy
Loads of people in the comments of the announcement saying that they'll pirate it instead of buying it on EGS.

I don't think people should pirate, but at least in cases where they're pirating games that have gone EGS exclusive, the developer is still getting paid. Kinda minimises the worst element of piracy.

Not advocating for piracy, I think it would be better if people just waited and bought it when it did hit their store of choice, but I do subscribe to the idea that piracy is a consequence of poor customer service more than anything else. The best way to minimise piracy is to have a customer-centric approach, and I do not think Epic are doing so, and thus an increase in piracy rates is a predictable and inevitable consequence of games going exclusive to EGS.