• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Dismissive drive-by posting, ignoring a staff post.
Always seemed like it would be ported eventually, glad it's happening soon so I get try it in VR. Condolences to those waiting to save themselves from opening a different program.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's an incredible game, and a completely different experience than Tetris 99/Puyo Tetris. Really not the same at all.

Didn't play in VR either. It isn't necessary at all for the game.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Cool that Epic are helping out struggling developers behind niche games like

*checks notes*

Tetris.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Arghhhhhhh D:

This is especially a weird one, is it really be big enough of a release to justify moneyhatting? Seems odd to be going after artsier titles like this and Journey.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So how will Steam VR work with this?

Same as it works with any apps you download outside of Steam. Load up the game/application and it'll use the Oculus API or the SteamVR API, whatever's on your system. They're pretty agnostic. I play a good amount of stuff from outside Steam/Oculus store and everything just loads up in the background and works.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
EGS? Man Tim Sweeney needs to just go away. I'm glad I already own a PSVR because there is no way I'm buying anything on Epic's crummy storefront. What a buzzkill.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, I didn't ever expect to see a game like Tetris be a pawn in the powerplay between storefronts.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Arghhhhhhh D:

This is especially a weird one, is it really be big enough of a release to justify moneyhatting? Seems odd to be going after artsier titles like this and Journey.

This and Journey are simultaneously artsy as well as big games. They aren't niche. Both have won game of the year recommendations commonly. The smallest things that have gotten moneyhatted are probably What the Golf and the Goose Game.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever! I don't know if I can resist temptation and wait, this in VR is insane!

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Arghhhhhhh D:

It's in line with Falcon Age, in that it's a game that's already proven itself to be popular on another platform (PSVR) and that Epic has offered a big pile of money in order to nab PC exclusivity. However, given that the Epic Launcher has no VR features beyond downloading the game itself, I wouldn't be too surprised if Epic doesn't get their money back on either deal.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Absolutely buy this game, folks. It's the best version of Tetris I've ever played. Fantastic presentation.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
In to double dip! Recently sat down and beat Journey mode on PS4 finally. I'm still a bit garbo at Tetris but Tetris 99 is making me better!

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
So you don't play on PC but are still here to throw some shade on people who do and know what EGS exclusivity means for the platform. Maybe educate yourself?
Where did I do such thing? I'd like you to point it out to me, please. I clearly said it was my reasoning on what I would do, not how anybody else should.
If you don't understand why people are against EGS you can educate yourself by reading all the various threads about the matter.
That's yet another topic I didn't delve into. The sentence you're quoting is meaningless out of its original context: I might not know everything about this tiresome launcher war (all the discussions, was what I wrote) but I know if it was me, I'd do this and as follows. The rest can do as they please.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
This and Journey are simultaneously artsy as well as big games. They aren't niche. Both have won game of the year recommendations commonly. The smallest things that have gotten moneyhatted are probably What the Golf and the Goose Game.

Sure, sure...but they are also late ports, which coupled with how much Epic are paying for them and the EGS resentment, I can't see them moving enough copies to justify it.

Of course perhaps it makes more sense to see it as part of the bigger plan for EG, though I'm forever questioning how successful that route will be.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
God fucking damn it.
Well, this will probably be my one purchase on EGS. I can't stand what it represents, but I need this game even more.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This game's release model is a mess. It would have been so great to have such a peculiar game be playable to everybody right away, instead it's PS4 first, then PC but only through Epic Store, then probably PC through other platforms, maybe then other consoles. Moneyhatting a Tetris game. Sigh.
LOL.

Tetris IP has been moneyhatted to hell and back.

One of the 2 bonus games for the Sega Genesis mini is a Tetris version that couldn't be released in the 90s due to moneyhats.

Nintendo has moneyhatted Tetris atleast THREE times getting unique exclusives like Tetrisphere and Tetris99.

LOL

Thanks for the laugh.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's good to see it make it to PC. Hopefully it shows up on other stores eventually, I'm not doing this whole Epic store thing.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, sure...but they are also late ports, which coupled with how much Epic are paying for them and the EGS resentment, I can't see them moving enough copies to justify it.

That's the point. Epic are paying these people as if they're extreme hits on Steam. Epic doesn't care how many units it moves, it cares about having a library of exclusive games enticing enough to break Steam. Balkanization is the only thing that Sweeney wants.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
LOL.

Tetris IP has been moneyhatted to hell and back.

One of the 2 bonus games for the Sega Genesis mini is a Tetris version that couldn't be released in the 90s due to moneyhats.

Nintendo has moneyhatted Tetris atleast THREE times getting unique exclusives like Tetrisphere and Tetris99.

LOL

Thanks for the laugh.
Ironic that Tetris should have been owned by the Russian government but is now money hatted by multiple corporations.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that EGS will support VR games, I wonder how well it will work with them. Doesn't seem like the best platform for them at this point in time

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
So what you are saying is that it will not support the Valve index or Valve Index controllers (or at least advertise it as such on the store page for this game)?

SteamVR doesn't need Steam in order to function it seems, I'm guessing they won't mention SteamVR (which is being used) since people would assume that means Steam.

Have the devs already confirmed it's a 1 year exclusive or can I assume that this is a permanent exclusive?