• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Just got a second place finish. 8 hours in and I can feel myself improving. The game is clearly dominated by high level players already, but us beginners can still do damage with a little perseverance.

I'm starting to see the Matrix at the Top 10 speed. The person who beat me was clearly better, but I was holding them off alone for a while before I finally folded. I'm gonna get a win soon, I can taste it.

I got a simple strategy right now:

1. Start off defensive, targeting attackers. If no one is attacking, go after randoms.
2. Switch to KOs at 75 players left.
3. Target badges around 50 players left.
4. Go back to attackers for the top 30.
5. Get aggressive with KOs again as soon as I hear 'Bumblebees.'
6. Try not to die.

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll never be great at Tetris, but it's crazy how much better I've got in a few hours of this intense competitive shit, than I ever got playing game boy Tetris on and off as a kid for a number of years.

4th is my highest so far, but wouldn't be surprised if I never got a win.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This might be the game that makes me finally cave on the Nintendo Online subscription.

I'm a sucker for Tetris, and making it a BR is just genius.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll never be great at Tetris, but it's crazy how much better I've got in a few hours of this intense competitive shit, than I ever got playing game boy Tetris on and off as a kid for a number of years.

Same. I'm just pretty happy when I crack the top ten.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Same. I'm just pretty happy when I crack the top ten.
I never thought I would win, until I won.

Keep at it, it's not like there's going to be a grand-master in every pool.

Oct 27, 2017
just tried it. first game got to #26 although i have no idea WTF i'm doing. some basic explanation in game would be nice but i guess i'll just need to look on the internet. i'm sure it'll be fun once i know what i'm doing.

edit: actually know what....no it doesn't sound fun at all.
You've never played Tetris before? How is that even possible?

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a second place finish. 8 hours in and I can feel myself improving. The game is clearly dominated by high level players already, but us beginners can still do damage with a little perseverance.

I'm starting to see the Matrix at the Top 10 speed. The person who beat me was clearly better, but I was holding them off alone for a while before I finally folded. I'm gonna get a win soon, I can taste it.

I got a simple strategy right now:

1. Start off defensive, targeting attackers. If no one is attacking, go after randoms.
2. Switch to KOs at 75 players left.
3. Target badges around 50 players left.
4. Go back to attackers for the top 30.
5. Get aggressive with KOs again as soon as I hear 'Bumblebees.'
6. Try not to die.
Just adopted you strat and finally got a 1st place win.
@_@

Edit: Got another win a couple of games later.

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Practicing 40 line marathons (which unfortunately this game doesn't have) would probably be better than trying to metagame it

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, my strategy so far just amounts to:

1. Start targeting KOs
  2. attempt to get a starting all clear (I'm okay with this, works about 1/4 of the time)
  3. focus on buidling up back to back tetrises
  4. at 50 players left, switch to badges if I don't have many KOs, attackers if I do have a few.
  5. focus on survival from 10 left on.
I've only won once so far, but I can pretty reliably get in the top 25 or so, and hit the top 10 very often.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You really don't understand competitive Tetris until you're trapped in a room with 98 Tetris gods that all have it in for you.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Just slammed out back to back wins, feels good man. I don't have a complex strategy, I just set to target attackers and start spitting out tetrises. I've never been good at setting up all clears or doing t-spins, but when it comes to holding a line and keeping a level stack until the next line comes I'd say I'm pretty decent and it seems to be working.

I'll probably have another one of those starts where I get instantly targeted by like 40 people next game though. Such is the nature of BR I suppose.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm Level 25 and the highest I've gotten is #2, and there's so many "real" Tetris players now who can send so much garbage at you instantly from the very start of the match that it is literally physically impossible for me to drop enough pieces to clear in time. This fucking sucks.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
I can't believe how good some folks are at Tetris! Out of about 129 games (maybe a 3rd of which were my wife playing on my account) I've only one twice. But after 8 hrs playing this game, I just can't stop!

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what? I KO'd the guy that ended in 1st place and somehow I get 2nd place? What the hell happened here? It would be my first win :(

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory and hostile post
Wait, what? I KO'd the guy that ended in 1st place and somehow I get 2nd place? What the hell happened here? It would be my first win :(
You're probably just bad at the game and have shit sight. Are you aging fast? I've already won twice.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
So are they grouping players with those of similar skill/levels or is it just random assortments with both noobs and Tetris gods? The few games I played always came down to a select handful of players that were obviously head and shoulders above everyone else.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
So are they grouping players with those of similar skill/levels or is it just random assortments with both noobs and Tetris gods? The few games I played always came down to a select handful of players that were obviously head and shoulders above everyone else.
I think the player grouping is mostly random, but at least one of the targeting modes has a bias towards high-ranked players. It's become more common for me to start matches with multiple opponents targeting me as I've increased my player level and win count.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
My running theory is the game does its best to match you with similar player skill however with groups of 99 that is not always possible so whatever factors it checks to determine disparity (level, wins, average placement, etc.. just guesses) if you end up in a match with a significant gap that is when you are going to be heavily targeted right at the start of the match as a handicap. Or similarly it ranks the players at start and the top 3, 5 or maybe even 10 get the focus.

You're probably just bad at the game and have shit sight. Are you aging fast? I've already won twice.
🤔

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my first win after 68 matches! Damn, that last duel was intense.

Personally killed 8 out of the last 11 players. That felt good.

Last edited:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I've been honing my skills heavy on Tetris Effect since it's release. Got 2nd place on my first game. But that could be because I was matched up with scrubs. I'm constantly in the top 10-15, but I still haven't figured out a strategy. I'm confused about when to go for attackers, when to manually target someone, when to go for "badges" etc.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I finally got 2nd after like...a million games. Definitely improving, but it's nuts how difficult it is. I think the main issue I have is I frequently get target by so much garbage I have no way to counter it, and it happens so fast. I guess I need to hold on to lines to hit a Tetris when I get attacked? Feels weird to hold on to it, though. I frequently build to tetrises but it seems dangerous to wait.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I've been honing my skills heavy on Tetris Effect since it's release. Got 2nd place on my first game. But that could be because I was matched up with scrubs. I'm constantly in the top 10-15, but I still haven't figured out a strategy. I'm confused about when to go for attackers, when to manually target someone, when to go for "badges" etc.
IMO mostly go for KO's in the beginning. Attackers is when there are a lot of people are attacking you, manual when you want a specific KO (I don't think anyone does this), and badges if you're really really good because going after badge leaders is literally attacking the best players in the match who have a higher damage bonus than you.

If you really want to manually target KO's, you have to look at which flashing red screens look the most busted and which ones are just high up but have easily cleared garbage.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Finally had a monster run where I ended up with 18 KOs for my first W. Not gonna lie it felt like purgatory getting bottom half of top 10 like every game. It sounds like a meme but this is actually a really great concept.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
i Can play my damndest but I only make it to last 40 to 60 people on average 50 I guess?

How should I be playing to do better?

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
They need to fix this.

Not cool

You can keep track of which of the 4 blocks is the tetrimino's axis and predict wall kicks based on that orientation. There actually is such a thing as having an I-block "upside down," and the behavior can get weird as a result if you don't know which position the block is actually in.

https://harddrop.com/wiki/SRS#Wall_Kick_Illustration

Some games have drill modes to teach you proper rotation in specific circumstances. The example at the beginning of this video only works if you rotate counter-clockwise, for instance.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my....within the first 30 seconds of starting I had 5 people target me.

I shall have my revenge!

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Maybe I'll ch3 k out some twitch streams to get an idea how to 8mprove my game

It's so wierd how everyone is probably comfort gaming Tetris right now, who would have thought Tetris just keeps living on

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Maybe I'll ch3 k out some twitch streams to get an idea how to 8mprove my game

It's so wierd how everyone is probably comfort gaming Tetris right now, who would have thought Tetris just keeps living on

The Tetris scene was very active on Switch before 'Tetris 99', because 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' was a game on its release window. It's not only one on the most ambitious Tetris entries, and one of the puzzle games packed with more content, game modes and hundred of hours of gameplay... thanks to be one of the few physical games available in the first months of Switch, it was able to attract to a lot of early adapters and it was featured in a lot of GOTY lists in 2017.

The secret of a lot of the users in Era having crazy performances on 'Tetris 99' since the first day is that they spent hundreds of hours playing 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'. And its online mode on Switch included to all the pro Tetris players of the Japanase scene, with crazy things like a collection of repetitions on its online mode, letting you to watch their best matches.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what I'm doing, but this game is a lot of fun.

uJQcoEQ.jpg

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
The Tetris scene was very active on Switch before 'Tetris 99', because 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' was a game on its release window. It's not only one on the most ambitious Tetris entries, and one of the puzzle games packed with more content, game modes and hundred of hours of gameplay... thanks to be one of the few physical games available in the first months of Switch, it was able to attract to a lot of early adapters and it was featured in a lot of GOTY lists in 2017.

The secret of a lot of the users in Era having crazy performances on 'Tetris 99' since the first day is that they spent hundreds of hours playing 'Puyo Puyo Tetris'. And its online mode on Switch included to all the pro Tetris players of the Japanase scene, with crazy things like a collection of repetitions on its online mode, letting you to watch their best matches.

Oh that makes so much sense. I only ever played the demo bc never been enough of a puzzle game guy. But always loved Tetris since the OG game boy link cable against my family when I was a kid,

This game is addicting and huge win for Nintendo online that they needed

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You can keep track of which of the 4 blocks is the tetrimino's axis and predict wall kicks based on that orientation. There actually is such a thing as having an I-block "upside down," and the behavior can get weird as a result if you don't know which position the block is actually in.

https://harddrop.com/wiki/SRS#Wall_Kick_Illustration

Some games have drill modes to teach you proper rotation in specific circumstances. The example at the beginning of this video only works if you rotate counter-clockwise, for instance.

I should have realized this was the problem. I used to be pretty competitive online thanks to that mode (ranked 3rd in Minnesota). For some reason, the rotation direction didn't register in my mind as the issue. Thanks.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Finally won my first game...I'd been getting top 10 finishes but could never get better than 4th. God was it intense I almost died like 10 times and was frantically cramming pieces. I was so happy to win but then realized how long it had taken lol.

Oct 29, 2017
I was talking to my wife while she's playing the game. We were wondering what age demographic does this game cater to? I'm thinking that this game caters to mostly adult gamers and not necessarily the players who would normally play Fortnite.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
My best is 13th, I think. My old man reflexes suck when it gets fast. Still love the game even though I haven't cracked the top 10 yet.

Definitely can be frustrating if you get dumped on early, but it forces you to practice getting quick line clears to empty the garbage before it's added to your stack. And the match turn around is so quick it's no biggie.

Been playing around with different targeting strategies - going attackers too early is definitely asking to get shat on early from my experience. I tend to go random, then KO asthe game progresses a bit and only use attackers if a bunch of folks are targeting me and I feel like I have some good clears coming.

I have had some annoying accidental hard drops because of the dpad, definitely like the suggestion above to be able to map it to a shoulder instead.