• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
It appears that being targeted has a hard cap of 4 regardless of which target mode a person is using, at least I've never seen it go above that (definitely point out if you've seen more), so dog-pilling doesn't seem to be too big of a factor. I mean having 4 good players on your ass is no picnic, but it doesn't seem to be extremely common across my sessions.

What if you manually target someone that has 4 already?
I haven't noticed if manually targetting a card skips if there are already 4 attackers.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The last match I almost got #1...then comm error happened -_-...
mhRA81G.jpg

So far so good...this game is intense lol

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Random is attacking any random player
K.O. is attacking the players with the most K.O.'s
Badges is attacking the players with the highest rank
Attackers is attacking people that are attacking you

Is this correct?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Any idea what level he was at here? I mean it is KevinDDR after all so if anyone is going to get any sort of skill driven target immediately that'd be the guy.
Kevin was at about level 25 when I checked the end of his stream last night.

Once I reached level 20 or so it became common to start almost every match with 4+ other players targeting me, so I think at least one of those targeting options is biased toward high-level opponents whenever its main search criteria isn't relevant.

Arika in this? Hummm
How are the controls? TGM style?

Can i press up to hard drop?
Can i pre-load a rotation?
Can you rotate after a hard drop?
How's the lock timing?
Yes.
No.
No.
Seems to take slightly longer than Puyo Puyo Tetris. I've seen a lot of veteran players make the occasional misdrop because they expect the piece to lock into place earlier than it actually does.

Does everyone get the same order of pieces?
Dunno, but it doesn't really matter that much because piece distribution is guaranteed to be even.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

Is this correct?

targeting kos is for targeting people that are in danger of losing

you get badges from koing other players, badges increase your attacking power. targeting badges means trying to take out players that have lots of kos and taking their badges

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

Is this correct?
Close but not quite. I'll quote myself again on the general gameplay rules that I think I've figured out. I'm pretty confident that I understand the targeting rules at this point but am less sure about the general strategy.

- Each time you send garbage that tops out an opponent, you're credited for a KO and it gives you some EXP toward your badges in the corner.
- Each badge you earn increases your attack power by 25%, up to a maximum of 4 badges for 200% power.
- So, an early game tactic could be to rack up as many KOs as quickly as possible by specifically targeting for KOs so that you increase your power quickly. Either use the "KO" targeting selection to snipe people in a poor position or manually select players that are at risk of topping out.
- Once you've either maxed out your badges or gotten a significant power boost early, consider switching the targeting to the other players who are leading in badges in order to eliminate the biggest threats.*
- If at any point you're being targeted by too many opponents to ignore, switch to targeting Attackers until you're out of trouble, then resume the previous tactics afterward. When you target multiple Attackers specifically, it seems to give you an additional power boost. Like when I've got 4+ people throwing garbage at me, selecting Attackers targets all of them and sends back way more garbage than normal.

* This can backfire against really adept opponents. If they have an empty field, and you send over 10 lines of garbage, there's a decent chance that the garbage will form a long well for them to fire Tetrises right back at you. So pick your shots accordingly.

I've seen some posters suggest to play it slow and safe because attacking less means racking up fewer KOs and staying low means you're at less risk of topping out, each of which reduces the odds of you getting targeted, but being under-powered is a quick recipe for failure once you're in the final 10 and can't hide anymore.

I also suspect that at least one of the targeting modes has a bias towards high-level opponents. Ever since I hit level ~20 or so I've had about 4 or 5 people targeting me at the start of each match.

How do I tag the OP with a suggestion to copy/paste some of this info into the first page?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Starting with KOs and scoring a couple of early badges really puts a huge target in your head, I've been regularly targeted by 7+ people at once most of the times I start with that strategy and have to fend off on Counterattack mode until we're waaaaay under 20 people. It gets really crazy.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
What if you manually target someone that has 4 already?
I haven't noticed if manually targetting a card skips if there are already 4 attackers.
Yeah, there are definitely examples over 4 on the previous page though not entirely clear what factors are involved. Player level appears to be involved, I played a few sessions just now and I have the blue icon now and I definitely notice start of match I consistently have a bunch of yellow lines immediately. Wasn't like that yesterday.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
Close but not quite. I'll quote myself again on the general gameplay rules that I think I've figured out. I'm pretty confident that I understand the targeting rules at this point but am less sure about the general strategy.

- Each time you send garbage that tops out an opponent, you're credited for a KO and it gives you some EXP toward your badges in the corner.
- Each badge you earn increases your attack power by 25%, up to a maximum of 4 badges for 200% power.
- So, an early game tactic could be to rack up as many KOs as quickly as possible by specifically targeting for KOs so that you increase your power quickly. Either use the "KO" targeting selection to snipe people in a poor position or manually select players that are at risk of topping out.
- Once you've either maxed out your badges or gotten a significant power boost early, consider switching the targeting to the other players who are leading in badges in order to eliminate the biggest threats.*
- If at any point you're being targeted by too many opponents to ignore, switch to targeting Attackers until you're out of trouble, then resume the previous tactics afterward. When you target multiple Attackers specifically, it seems to give you an additional power boost. Like when I've got 4+ people throwing garbage at me, selecting Attackers targets all of them and sends back way more garbage than normal.

* This can backfire against really adept opponents. If they have an empty field, and you send over 10 lines of garbage, there's a decent chance that the garbage will form a long well for them to fire Tetrises right back at you. So pick your shots accordingly.

I also suspect that at least one of the targeting modes has a bias towards high-level opponents. Ever since I hit level ~20 or so I've had about 4 or 5 people targeting me at the start of each match.

Yeah, I think this is all pretty accurate. Good summary! I'm quite sure it's people who are set to "badges" that are targeting high level players early on. Sucks for me because I'm not that good, but I've been playing a lot and have levelled up a bit. I don't care though; it's still incredibly fun and I can feel myself improving.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Starting with KOs and scoring a couple of early badges really puts a huge target in your head, I've been regularly targeted by 7+ people at once most of the times I start with that strategy and have to fend off on Counterattack mode until we're waaaaay under 20 people. It gets really crazy.
The cool thing is that you get a power boost when you're counter-targeting multiple Attackers, so it's actually feasible to play like that if you can keep up the pace.

I'm generally impressed with how solid the game rules are in this regard. Seems like it'd be a real easy thing to screw up in a 99-player game.

The only thing that sucks about counter-targeting ~10 people is that the particle effects get crazy when you send garbage and actually start to obscure the stack at that point.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The game is pretty great, but I was eventually done in by the shitty dpad on the pro controller. 3 bad quick drops in a row at 25 left. Oh well. Guess I'll have to find another control method.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So there's NO WAY to get the game paying for it or otherwise?
Is it tied to the online sub, is there even an offline mode at all?
Are there bots? There's not always gonna be 99 players to battle with at any given moment, or I'm thinking it wrong?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Man I really suck at Tetris. Last night I was able to place twice in the top 25, but this morning both games I played I placed in the 90s.

Both times, maybe 25 seconds in, I got slammed with like 7-8 rows of garbage. What can you freaking do about that other than abandon your setup and frantically start trying to clear lines to stay alive?

Also, I keep my targeting on random because I have no idea when the best time is to switch, so I feel like I'm at a disadvantage to a lot of my competition. I basic tutorial would have gone a long way, here. =(

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Are there bots? There's not always gonna be 99 players to battle with at any given moment, or I'm thinking it wrong?

No bots, no offline mode and even yesterday at 00h when it just got uploaded to the eShop a couple of minutes earlier, filling a room with players was a matter of 5 seconds.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

No there is no way to get the game except having Switch Online. There is no Offline mode.
There are no bots, It takes about 10 seconds to load 100 players

Aug 27, 2018
Anyone else playing this with a Pro Controller...and accidentally quick dropping blocks occasionally. Had a few games where I got to top 50, game sped up and I accidentally dropped a block and ended up screwing myself. I really wish the d-pad on the Pro Controller were better.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, right now it's sub-only and there's only the random online matchmaking mode. There's evidence in the stats menu that they may patch in other modes though, possibly Vs CPUs.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017

I've seen some posters suggest to play it slow and safe because attacking less means racking up fewer KOs and staying low means you're at less risk of topping out, each of which reduces the odds of you getting targeted, but being under-powered is a quick recipe for failure once you're in the final 10 and can't hide anymore.

How do I tag the OP with a suggestion to copy/paste some of this info into the first page?
Added both to OP, thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
I finished 4th, stayed to see the other players and there are some absolute animals playing this game, the last 2 ended up going at it for 2 or 3 minutes it was incredible

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

yesterday i had a game that started with a bit over 60 players, no bots to fill the rest

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I played the game with the Pro Controller at first I was getting accidental hard drops while thinking it was part of the battle mechanics 💀

Button d-pad 4lyfe on this one.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Man why do I always feel like I'm getting targeted by like 5 people at once. 4 games in a row I got topped off before I even hit top 80, last night I was consistently hitting top 25

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
When I played the game with the Pro Controller at first I was getting accidental hard drops while thinking it was part of the battle mechanics 💀

Button d-pad 4lyfe on this one.
Same here, I mentioned it last night in this thread. I swear I'm not hitting UP, but apparently the pro controller dpad sucks?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honest Question, when was the last time that Nintendo produced a good d-pad? the snes? I don't have much experience with both the wii and wii u, plus the handlehelds so I wouldn't talk about them, but at least for me, the 64, gc and switch have some of the worst d-pads that I had ever used, which is baffling considering that nintendo perfected the formula back in the day

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Me every time I enter a game and see all lines coming straight for me right at the beginning of the match

Blank+_374093c89d26e2bf7cb54cfd836eba8a.jpg

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Honest Question, when was the last time that Nintendo produced a good d-pad? the snes? I don't have much experience with both the wii and wii u, plus the handlehelds so I wouldn't talk about them, but at least for me, the 64, gc and switch have some of the worst d-pads that I had ever used, which is baffling considering that nintendo perfected the formula back in the day
Most of the Wii and Wii U controllers were great.

The N64's d-pad was fine, but rarely used in the first place.

The Gamecube and GBA were the worst.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same here, I mentioned it last night in this thread. I swear I'm not hitting UP, but apparently the pro controller dpad sucks?
I does suck, I was surprised that it seemed kind of serviceable until I realized the accidental hard drops. Definitely not hitting up either. Could be usable if there was an option to map hard drop to another key, but as it stands it's bad.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The great thing of 'Tetris 99' being free, is that finally people will see that the DPAD of the Pro Controller has a design flaw, something that they didn't realize because they have only played 2D games with movements restricted to the left and the right.

So maybe, people will stop recommending this when someone asks for a good DPAD in Switch.

I prefer to play 2D games with the Joycon buttons, instead of falling half of the inputs with the Pro Controller, in every damn game including a 4 directional movement.