• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Epic : 30 million dollars for Fortnite.
Valve : 20 million for Dota international.
Nintendo : 10 bucks. As long as you spend it on our store.
mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is pretty cool.

I still haven't won so I have zero chance, but I like this.

The real prize is playing Tetris 99, though. We all winners out here.

Oct 25, 2017
Almost thousand people getting almost 10 bucks is nice.

How about almost a hundred people getting almost 100 dollars. That'd be good.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Hope there's a real-time leaderboard during the competition. Dunno how much I'd want to grind for wins if I can't even tell where I stand at the moment.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
I guess that's better than giving 99 folks 99 dollars.

Apologies for my US-centric post

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Other Battle Royals: Battle Pass, Loot Boxes, Cosmetics! Give us YOUR MONEY!!

Nintendo/Tetris: Play fun game! Win! Take OUR MONEY!!

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: how vulnerable is Tetris 99 to modifications via the Tegra exploit? I know Splatoon 2 is a mess but am clueless on Tetris 99 exploits at this point.
Well for one thing, newly manufactured Switches have had a patched bootloader that doesn't allow for the initial entrypoint for that since mid-last year.

As for the vulnerable ones still out there, I haven't been following the situation terribly closely, but my understanding is that Nintendo has been applying the banhammer pretty liberally with hacked Switches that go online.

OatmealDome

Nov 17, 2017
Serious question: how vulnerable is Tetris 99 to modifications via the Tegra exploit? I know Splatoon 2 is a mess but am clueless on Tetris 99 exploits at this point.

Splatoon 2 isn't a mess anymore. They added some new cheat detection in December and it's seemingly quite solid. I don't expect anyone to crack it within the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, Tetris 99 runs on dedicated servers(!?), so it's probably less at risk than Nintendo's other multiplayer games. Doesn't appear like they added anything client-side to detect cheats however.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't the prizes for most online tournaments bragging right + in-game stuff? Why are people complaining of a good store credit prize on a FREE TO PLAY game.

999 players will have literally paid -10 dollars for Tetris 99 at the end of the day.
Not exactly. I'm aware of two guys who are dedicated Tetris players and solely got the Switch to play 99.

I'll be impressed if neither get another game for the next 4 months.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's really awesome actually, I wanna start this up now.

Top 999 isn't unachievable by any means, though I'd imagine the competition is gonna go up by leaps and bounds with this announcement.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm thinking this is likely because they saw a jump in online subscribers or just generally this game is far more popular than they ever anticipated. Pretty cool to see though, Nintendo usually misses out on things like this. Hope it's a huge success.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
this is a cool idea, but since i've never won it practically makes no difference for me, lol.

in the future they should try doing contests that can involve and motivate more people even if they aren't exceptionally good at tetris. maybe offering alternate background music options or double exp or something just for participating?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Neat idea, but the highest I've ever placed is 8th, so it doesn't really mean much for me :P

What was this even trying to convey?
They basically took this far more helpful graph:

mario_kart_sales_releative_to_platform.jpg

...and made a pie chart out of the sums of both sets of data. (Which of course is a completely nonsensical way to present that info.)

From the line graph, you can actually glean some interesting info, like attach ratios. The infamous pie chart, however, is such a dumb oversimplification of the data that it looks like a total apples-to-oranges comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 hasnt been a mess in months every since they reactivated the anti-cheat.

That said considering Tetris has its own actual server, combined with Nintendo's much quicker system bans whenever a consoles goes online, probably not vulnerable. A lot of the times you'll hear people suddenly get stacks of junk with no real time passing after start, but that's mostly from near-instant perfect clears.

Last edited:

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the Europe one doesn't say anything about being in the top 999?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yep, Europe simply says:

"If you come out on top of a match during this time period, you'll be in with a chance of winning 999 Gold Points, worth ÂŁ9.99 in Nintendo eShop! Don't miss out!"

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
For Europe, From the website :
"Winners & prizes
Out of all participants that finish at least one match of Tetris® 99 in first position ("Tetris Maximus") during the event, 999 can win a prize of 999 My Nintendo Gold Points each, delivered to their Nintendo Account. The number of Tetris Maximus wins achieved has no influence on the chance of winning a prize. If more than 999 participants achieve a Tetris Maximus win, winners will be determined by random draw. If less than 999 participants achieve a Tetris Maximus win within the period, the number of winners will be reduced accordingly."

so the number of top 1 don't matter

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Cool that they are doing this for Europe too!
I'm gonna have my wife playing it, because I suck at Tetris. :p

EDIT: For all the people complaining about the prize value, 9.99 $ times 999 people is 9980,01 dollars, and that's just in the US.
No other game gives you a monetary prize by playing for free, at home.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Can a mod add a poll? It'd be interesting to get people to vote how many 1sts they've got to get a sense of what the distribution is like.

I assume it's only 5 options, so the poll could be:

How many 1st places in Tetris 99 have you got?
2-10
11-50
50+