• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Boneworks didn't really do it for me, although it was quite fun. Hoping H-L: A does all the physics fun stuff whilst also providing a good story.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
I can't believe Will Smith makes an appearance, AND is in Valve headquarters!

Last edited:

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome. Skipping around and don't see any smooth/artificial locomotion yet.

Edit: never-mind, I see Will using it later on.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
There is off screen gameplay there that includes all movement options (teleportation, blink and free movement).

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For WMR users like me, this is a good video since they cover it. I'm glad to know that WMR will play this game fine even if the controller rings might be big for putting the hands together in some areas.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
That's a surprising amount of off screen footage they were allowed to show.

Nice to see them on site testing with just about every piece of VR hardware on the market.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god I need so many gifs of the new footage. When he's throwing those explosive things at barnacles on top of the train or examining a headcrab up close!

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Im at work so i cant watch it - is it just a index advertisement or a real"test"?
They actually talk about what goes into developing the world and what differences there are with the VR headsets, etc. They talk about some in-depth stuff but it isn't obviously a comprehensive review of the actual game, it is "just" a hands-on. It's more impressions than it is an advertisement. They go very in-depth with some of the VR stuff though.
They played it for 4 hours and give impressions. Oculus, Vive, and Odyssey controllers get about as much screentime as the Index ones. This isn't a video about the Index.

There IS new footage in this video. It is off-screen, but there's actually quite a lot. (Although a bunch is in the same/similar areas)
For people trying to stay blind: It's a lot of 10-45 second clips of them playing Half Life: Alyx with the screen of gameplay right behind them.
(If you just want to hear more about the game you can absolutely just listen to this video without watching it)

Footage includes things like
Shooting zombies while going through the interior of a train
Throwing grenades(?) at enemies and into the tongues of Barnacles
Moving around physics objects (He shakes a box with a couple things in it which looked kinda cool)
Pulling things with the "Grabbidy" Gloves
Walking through some sewer(?) sections
He kills a headcrab and picks it up to look at its underside

tl;dr: Looks spicy. They talk about a lot of interesting VR stuff.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
So much for that VNN rumor about free locomotion not being ready... One of them used it for his 3 hours play session and you can clearly see footage of it.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
do they pick a favorite at the end?

Will: "I would play on everything we used today, maybe not so much the [Vive] Cosmos"

They also mention how the front heavy headsets (Quest, OG Vive) aren't great for long play sessions (however Oculus Link works very well) and recommend to mod the Quest with the Deluxe Audio Strap.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will: "I would play on everything we used today, maybe not so much the [Vive] Cosmos"

They also mention how the front heavy headsets (Quest, OG Vive) aren't great for long play sessions (however Oculus Link works very well) and recommend to mod the Quest with the Deluxe Audio Strap.
just got to that part, it really sounds like the quest just needs to fix their strap situation to be the best bang for the buck solution for vr.

though i think i'm gunna go with the index. i'm betting valve will release a wireless mod at some point.

ashbash159

Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide if I'd rather play this on my Rift CV1 or my Quest.

I find the Quest quite uncomfortable compared to the Rift, but the Quest is easier for 360 degree play but the Rift will be fine for sitting down play.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely an awesome look at the game. Surprised by some of the meatier changes to more fundamental Half-Life gameplay -- like having what appears to be 3 health units rather than 100 health / armor -- and of course utilizing iron sights for essentially everything you do in VR is going to slow things down a lot but also bring those things closer to you, making the experience much more intense.

From the VR side, it looks like movements are really fluid, and there's clearly a lot of polish on display even here. I love the idea of reaching behind you to grab ammunition, and the quick reload / muscle memory stuff. Throwing especially looks fucking great. So much of what Half-Life is is going to adapt almost flawlessly here.

Excited to see more up close and with some accompanying sound. An oddly candid look, too, at all the headsets, so Valve isn't puting the lens through which we're viewing the game (figuratively and literally-speaking) on a pedestal. Makes it even more likely that the TGA absense was due to a technical problem.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This video will be really helpful for me, someone who's getting a Samsung Odyssey this christmas.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The detail on that headcrab is insane when he picks it up to examine it. Giveittomenow.gif

This makes me really want the knuckles controllers. Maybe I'll order after the holiday craze (and probably get it in Spring 2020 :P).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised they're fine with just showing off screen footage after the big TGA debut got cancelled. The graphics are excellent.
Definitely an awesome look at the game. Surprised by some of the meatier changes to more fundamental Half-Life gameplay -- like having what appears to be 3 health units rather than 100 health / armor -- and of course utilizing iron sights for essentially everything you do in VR is going to slow things down a lot but also bring those things closer to you, making the experience much more intense.

From the VR side, it looks like movements are really fluid, and there's clearly a lot of polish on display even here. I love the idea of reaching behind you to grab ammunition, and the quick reload / muscle memory stuff. Throwing especially looks fucking great. So much of what Half-Life is is going to adapt almost flawlessly here.
Can't watch the full video rn, but was the bolded tested on a Quest? I imagine that would be a pretty quick way to run into tracking issues for all the people who bought a Link to play this.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Haha...I hate reloading in games,it always seems to happen at the wrong moment so I am not sure actually having to do all the reload movements with my hands while I am getting shot at will be something I like ;) but damn,this looks great.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, weapon selection is bound to one of the touchpads on controllers that have those. Touchpads are the one thing that kinda confuses me on VR wands, they all look too small to really do much of anything with them, aside from maybe small swipes.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I don't know how I feel about that shown footage. Nothing really popped out to me as amazing.
It definitely looks polished, and I'm hoping the story is good. Very standard VR gameplay though from what we've seen.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they're fine with just showing off screen footage after the big TGA debut got cancelled. The graphics are excellent.

Can't watch the full video rn, but was the bolded tested on a Quest? I imagine that would be a pretty quick way to run into tracking issues for all the people who bought a Link to play this.

I'd have to watch the video again, but I don't think anyone ran into any occlusion issues with getting at ammo. It just looked like a gesture-based thing, but also they did say some functions were ultimately mapped to buttons on other devices because of some of those differences. They said the experience was good on every piece of hardware for the most part.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
They played it for 4 hours and give impressions. Oculus, Vive, and Odyssey controllers get about as much screentime as the Index ones. This isn't a video about the Index.

They actually talk about what goes into developing the world and what differences there are with the VR headsets, etc. They talk about some in-depth stuff but it isn't obviously a comprehensive review of the actual game, it is "just" a hands-on. It's more impressions than it is an advertisement. They go very in-depth with some of the VR stuff though.

Nice - thx!

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Apparently, weapon selection is bound to one of the touchpads on controllers that have those. Touchpads are the one thing that kinda confuses me on VR wands, they all look too small to really do much of anything with them, aside from maybe small swipes.
Diving them into two/four buttons is a pretty common thing. It works fine, feels kind of like weapon switching on a 360 controller dpad.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
This is why Valve won't show "normal" gameplay videos. It looks weird when you're not the one actually playing :P