• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't he go and apologise on stage? Has he done anything recently poor in the 6 years? Thats a long time and people change, don't y'all go pretending you have never said stuff thats problamatic before
You could have just read the same page you're posting on to know that his Twitter shows he hasn't changed a bit instead of doing this low-effort "people can change!!" post.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
You could have just read the same page you're posting on to know that his Twitter shows he hasn't changed a bit instead of doing this low-effort "people can change!!" post.
I checked his twitter and didn't find anything, so please show me before you bring your cancel culture here

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he go and apologise on stage? Has he done anything recently poor in the 6 years? Thats a long time and people change, don't y'all go pretending you have never said stuff thats problamatic before
Read Spring-Loaded's post, he hasn't changed. And at this point you shouldn't ever take apologies from public figures like him on their own at face value, usually they're just PR moves. You should only take apologies like that seriously when the people making them actually show they've changed as well.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He gave an insincere apology, and said afterwards "the fictional setting of the game does challenge techno-social progress as a whole". He has liked a ton of regressive bullshit on Twitter afterwards as well. His Twitter feed now has plenty of rants about "cancel culture", and he blamed the victims of Alec Holowka abuse for his suicide days after he had attacked Holowka himself, calling him a "weirdo... posturing on Twitter".

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
If you read the thread you were posting in, you might see a post that shows just how he's supposedly "changed".

In that it looks like he hasn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic to see people trying to defend someone with shitty GG views just because they like what they saw of a game years ago.

There's plenty of well made games from people who aren't openly misogynistic trash.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I checked his twitter and didn't find anything, so please show me before you bring your cancel culture here
Checking all the boxes here rhetoric wise are we

I'd ask somebody else to show you screenshots of the usual far-right and gamergator personalities he interacts with on Twitter through likes, retweets etc. which shouldn't be hard to find (it wasn't the last time I looked a few months ago) because I can't look through somebodies likes when I'm blocked.

I'm blocked by him btw for daring to say that Gamergate was a movement about harrassment.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
first of all, there's a bit of a difference between saying a few 'problematic' things and being part of a bigoted harassment campaign whilst also claiming the game you're working on envisions a dystopian future where 'feminism won'. secondly, people in this very thread have pointed out that his Twitter is still retweeting and liking some pretty awful stuff. you're right, people can change, but Tim Soret demonstrably hasn't.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
first of all, there's a bit of a difference between saying a few 'problematic' things and being part of a bigoted harassment campaign whilst also claiming the game you're working on envisions a dystopian future where 'feminism won'. secondly, people in this very thread have pointed out that his Twitter is still retweeting and liking some pretty awful stuff. you're right, people can change, but Tim Soret demonstrably hasn't.
This is reasonable response thanks, i still can't find it so if someone would like to show me the tweets that prove that he hasn't changed i would gladly see them instead of giving snarky comments

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's this piece of shit. Thought this game wasn't going anywhere due to lack of funding. After this guy's history I have no interest in this game at all.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This is reasonable response thanks, i still can't find it so if someone would like to show me the tweets that prove that he hasn't changed i would gladly see them instead of giving snarky comments
I mean, just look at his tweets blaming Alex Holowka's suicide on his victims for speaking out. "Waiting for legal corroboration" jesus christ.

Feb 10, 2018
User banned (3 days): Trolling.
What is harassment is sending your followers to hound a journalist who once said an unkind thing about you.

It is, but not only. Did you know that an expression word can have several meanings?

The fact that this person did something wrong in the past does not allow to insult him online.

" Bullying or harassment can be identified by repeated behavior and an intent to harm.[3] Victims may experience lower self-esteem, increased suicidal ideation, and a variety of negative emotional responses, including being scared, frustrated, angry, and depressed.[4] "

=> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbullying

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It is, but not only. Did you know that an expression word can have several meanings?

The fact that this person did something wrong in the past does not allow to insult him online.

" Bullying or harassment can be identified by repeated behavior and an intent to harm.[3] Victims may experience lower self-esteem, increased suicidal ideation, and a variety of negative emotional responses, including being scared, frustrated, angry, and depressed.[4] "

Thank you for posting a thing that he is guilty of, yes.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017

Calling out a bigot for being a bigot is not harassment or bullying.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god someone just posted a definition of cyberbullying to try and abstain a GG idiot from being called a GG idiot on a public forum.

Wow.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

Fuck off with this.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Stop.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

So much for the tolerant left! Amirite!? Hi five!

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't even know why there are still threads made about this game. You can't separate the art from the artist, as art is literally the output of an artist. This game is the output of an alt-right posterchild who probably fits right in at the old site. Anyone defending him at this point are doing so in bad faith.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I don't even know why there are still threads made about this game. You can't separate the art from the artist, as art is literally the output of an artist. This game is the output of an alt-right posterchild who probably fits right in at the old site. Anyone defending him at this point are doing so in bad faith.
It's so funny the people shrieking "separate art from the artist!!!" Are always people who's fanatic devotion to the art in question seems to be entirely dependant on the artist being a douche lord.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Well who's to say how it would turn out?
(j/k)

Just to emphasize again:
The game's premise as he described it (and if it's a misreading of his intention, then he probably should have cleared that up AGES ago) is:
"What if women were privileged instead of men! Just think of it! How crazy would that be? How would you survive in such a world even? How dangerous would it be to give women the same rights men have now! Wow, makes you appreciate so much more that we live in a world where men are the privileged ones, huh? So weird no one else makes dystopian horror visions about this! It's almost as if that would make you look like a mysogynist prick that implies that that same discrimination system we have now would be worse by definition if "feminists won"."

Also ignoring the fact that feminism as a broad term includes egalitarian views by saying "feminism not egalitarianism" as if those were opposed to each other.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
No.
He had a some controversial tweets regarding GamerGate and against diversity, etc.

He apologized for that. It doesn't mean that he does not think that anymore, but people can change you know. Specially when those tweets are from like 5 or 6 years ago. I do not support those type of comments, but people deserve a second chance in cases like this imo.

Otherwise and ever since he's been really cool, at least on social media.

This isn't true, btw

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
You can put glitter and chocolate on shit, at the end of the day it's still shit.
GGers will be extatic to have a game that panders so much to their ideology, though.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I now know that I should not play this game, because of the lightning effect, unless the dev shows some concerns for photosensitive people.

Celeste menu was spot on thanks to its photosensitive setting. Without it, I would have puked after watching the flashing selected line in the menu for a minute.

1MCjEsL.png

Last edited:

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
User Banned (5 days): Antagonising other members regarding their concern over bigotry
MjAxNC1iYTRiOWY1MzUxZDgzNDU2.png

I remember how ERA was so hyped about this game and it's awesome quality pixel art. Then the guy behind the game was exposed..Welp
Personally I don't care who's making the game. If the final product looks as good and has a decent gameplay, I'll just play it.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Just to emphasize again:
The game's premise as he described it (and if it's a misreading of his intention, then he probably should have cleared that up AGES ago) is:
"What if women were privileged instead of men! Just think of it! How crazy would that be? How would you survive in such a world even? How dangerous would it be to give women the same rights men have now! Wow, makes you appreciate so much more that we live in a world where men are the privileged ones, huh? So weird no one else makes dystopian horror visions about this! It's almost as if that would make you look like a mysogynist prick that implies that that same discrimination system we have now would be worse by definition if "feminists won"."

Also ignoring the fact that feminism as a broad term includes egalitarian views by saying "feminism not egalitarianism" as if those were opposed to each other.
His description almost reads like satire or failed attempt at humor.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
His description almost reads like satire or failed attempt at humor.

Haha, just to make sure, that's not a quote but me trying to over-dramatize his premise. Not trying to misrepresent, but to show you why people are annoyed by it.
Here's what he actually said again, as posted before in this thread:

The-Last-Light-Controversy.jpg

As you can see his story about how "feminisim won" is "to show the danger of extreme progressivism", calling it a take on the "cyberpunk oppression".
So that's why people assume he's going to paint a dystopian picture of it, from his own words.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
User Banned (Two weeks): Antagonizing other members regarding their concern over bigotry; history of trolling.
I'm not reading through this whole thread, it's far too toxic for my liking, but I see that some confusion still persists. Tim Soret did in fact apologize for those tweets he'd made years ago, he did explain that he's grown since, and The Last Night no longer represents those views. It's been reported in many places, and it's really easy to google up, but here are some examples.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Haha, just to make sure, that's not a quote but me trying to over-dramatize his premise. Not trying to misrepresent, but to show you why people are annoyed by it.
Here's what he actually said again, as posted before in this thread:

The-Last-Light-Controversy.jpg

As you can see his story about how "feminisim won" is "to show the danger of extreme progressivism", calling it a take on the "cyberpunk oppression".
So that's why people assume he's going to paint a dystopian picture of it, from his own words.

What is the difference between egalitarianism and feminism? I did a quick read on some google results but still didnt quite understand.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not reading through this whole thread, it's far too toxic for my liking, but I see that some confusion still persists. Tim Soret did in fact apologize for those tweets he'd made years ago, he did explain that he's grown since, and The Last Night no longer represents those views. It's been reported in many places, and it's really easy to google up, but here are some examples.
It's two pages brah