• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
How is a hair serum that includes castor oil (a well known oil for hair growth and is often used for Black hair) and natural oils comparable to a snake oil salesman?
Reselling something old in a new package for a higher price kind of toes the line for me, though that's common in a lot of industries. Plus there's a trend of selling common things as the next "miracle" whatever. There's one line in the article that does make it feel a bit more along those lines, though:

Using the oil, Brown said she regrew 3 inches of hair in just two months. In a video posted on Instagram, Brown described the oil as a "life saver."
Like, people can celebrate her trying to find success out of her going viral for something silly, but we also don't need to sugarcoat it. She's not alone in doing so, though.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Reselling something old in a new package for a higher price kind of toes the line for me, though that's common in a lot of industries. Plus there's a trend of selling common things as the next "miracle" whatever. There's one line in the article that does make it feel a bit more along those lines, though:

Like, people can celebrate her trying to find success out of her going viral for something silly, but we also don't need to sugarcoat it. She's not alone in doing so, though.

yep. it's just another samey product in a looooooong line of other same products with different packaging and unrelealistic claims.

just more unsubstantiated pitches in an incredibly unregulated snake oil industry, right up there miracle supplements, herbal this and that, etc..

that used to be okay to mock.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017

For one, a sheer amount of products have basic ingredients like caster oil and rosemary. That's not even a fucking black thing and there is no finessing in that lmao.

And who gives a damn what she calls it and how she describes it? She said it helped her grow three inches of hair back. I have plenty of women in my family who cannot get that to happen with their hair.

Wait.. is this allowed on resetera?
Yes, because telling white/white-adjacent people about themselves isn't racism.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For one, a sheer amount of products have basic ingredients like caster oil and rosemary. That's not even a fucking black thing and there is no finessing in that lmao.

And who gives a damn what she calls it and how she describes it? She said it helped her grow three inches of hair back. I have plenty of women in my family who cannot get that to happen with their hair.

Yes, because telling white/white-adjacent people about themselves isn't racism.
For real. I have 3B type hair and it takes forever to grow. 3 inches in a short span of time is a lot to us.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
User Banned (2 months): Concern trolling and white fragility across multiple posts and reports, prior serious ban for concern trolling
Y'all need to stop being so white and so fragile. It's embarrassing.
Im gonne be honest, my fragility(tm) really hit in my devil caucasoid brain when racial slurs started flying around on Resetera of all places.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017

Of course. That's what I mean; there's no evidence that it's anything special. (Which isn't an issue either.)

For all we know, her hair would grow that fast without anything on it. It's not like it's a scientific claim or measured in any way. People who hear that would think, "damn, that sounds incredible", when it's just questionable marketing. I'm not bothered by harmless cosmetic products assuming they're not super overpriced and finessing people out of their money (compared to people practically selling water as cures for cancer), but it's still in the realm of snake oils.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Oil in hair is a pretty universal thing, not sure why some of you think it's some kind of hack remedy? Not sure about hair growth specifically, but it's good for hair health so who cares?

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
For real. I have 3B type hair and it takes forever to grow. 3 inches in a short span of time is a lot to us.
Took me months to even form a mini afro so it is definitely worth checking out if it worked for her.
The oppressive people all up in this thread, doing what they do best.
You goddamn right because we are tired of the cacs and their bum ass opinions on shit that don't have ANYTHING to do with them

Stay in your lanes.

Kotto

Nov 3, 2017
Of course. That's what I mean; there's no evidence that it's anything special. (Which isn't an issue either.)

For all we know, her hair would grow that fast without anything on it. It's not like it's a scientific claim or measured in any way. People who hear that would think, "damn, that sounds incredible", when it's just questionable marketing. I'm not bothered by harmless cosmetic products assuming they're not super overpriced and finessing people out of their money (compared to people practically selling water as cures for cancer), but it's still in the realm of snake oils.
Not all products are the same. Black hair isn't universal.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Thread has been locked while we review a large number of reports. This may take an extended period of time. Any updates will be added to this post. Thank you for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.