• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
distracted drivers get into deadly accidents all of the time. do we blame McDonald's for selling food at a drive thru window?

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I am weary of these autopilot cars. Elon musk really comes across as a grifter who is trying to be Tony Stark. Unfortunately Tony Stark is a fictional character but his investors don't seem to understand that. People with too much money seem to believe his marketing. I fear that he's going to turn out to be like the Theranos lady or the Wework people.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am weary of these autopilot cars. Elon musk really comes across as a grifter who is trying to be Tony Stark. Unfortunately Tony Stark is a fictional character but his investors don't seem to understand that. People with too much money seem to believe his marketing. I fear that he's going to turn out to be like the Theranos lady or the Wework people.

Uh have you ever driven one?

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly the problem.. People, including many who use it, don't know what it is

NTSB Chair Sumwalt: "if you own a car with partial automation, you do not own a self driving car. Don't pretend that you do."
No reasonable Tesla owner thinks Autopilot is self driving. This guy was arrogant and careless. I use Autopilot daily I can't imagine the level of arrogance required to think you could play a game while it's engaged. It's great to have but it isn't perfect especially when stuff like phantom braking is known to happen (I've experienced it) and this was back in 2018 before all the improvements that have come with subsequent updates.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao this post butted up with thr update is kind of funny.

Dude was playing video games. Smh
He would not be dead if he was alert behind the wheel. There was always going to be something here, not looking on the street, phone in hand etc. That's the whole point. Teslas sleazy marketing made him believe he could play games while driving. By posting videos of these cars driving without intervention, by themselves, for miles and miles. Etc.

And that seems to be what more people think if you read the article. A man died. Let the fanboy warring be.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
He would not be dead if he was alert behind the wheel. There was always going to be something here, not looking on the street, phone in hand etc. That's the whole point. Teslas sleazy marketing made him believe he could play games while driving. By posting videos of these cars driving without intervention, by themselves, for miles and miles. Etc.

And that seems to be what more people think if you read the article. A man died. Let the fanboy warring be.
The marketing killed him? The driver has agency, he drove that route probably tens to hundreds of times. We don't blame the car when distracted drivers texting and driving die. Not sure why we're doing that here. If he was paying attention he would still be alive. That's really what it comes down to, he chose to play a game rather than pay attention to the road. Thankfully he didn't crash into anyone else.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The marketing killed him? The driver has agency, he drove that route probably tens to hundreds of times. We don't blame the car when distracted drivers texting and driving die. Not sure why we're doing that here. If he was paying attention he would still be alive. That's really what it comes down to, he chose to play a game rather than pay attention to the road. Thankfully he didn't crash into anyone else.
There is a difference between people using phones in old ass cars and when using autonomous driving ones. That's like the whole point. Just as a reminder, Musk did an interview in a model S being driven in autopilot and looking at the interviewer. Was he recklessly using his car in this instance?

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What a bad take. He knew better. He complained earlier to Tesla that that spot was problematic for autopilot. You have ignored all the posts in here that clearly state in non "sleezy marketing" terms the warnings before and during the process.

Nowhere does it give you any inkling that you can play phone games while you drive. He did it fully knowing that. You don't need a babysitter for adults to make sure they don't do things they've been told multiple ways not to do.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a difference between people using phones in old ass cars and when using autonomous driving ones. That's like the whole point. Just as a reminder, Musk did an interview in a model S being driven in autopilot and looking at the interviewer. Was he recklessly using his car in this instance?

Was he on a controlled road that had been thoroughly tested?

I just found the video, he actually is in a Model 3 at least in the one I saw and he makes eye contact with the road almost exclusively. If there's another of him on an uncontrolled road with him not looking while driving link it please.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how my Tesla could nag even more when driving on Autopilot, which I rarely do because of that.
I get a message to turn the steering wheel slightly every 10-15 seconds even when I'm driving a straight road with my hands on the wheel.
What more do people expect Tesla to do to keep people's attention on the road?

I just found the video, he actually is in a Model 3 at least in the one I saw and he makes eye contact with the road almost exclusively. If there's another of him on an uncontrolled road with him not looking while driving link it please.

I thought the crash happened with a Model X?

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

No you found the right video. $TSLAQ, r/realtesla and the Tesla hate brigade have been using the 3 seconds Elon took his hands off the wheel to demonstrate to the reporter that the car was driving as evidence of false nefarious advertising for years now, and because of it every single person that buys a Tesla thinks Autopilot is 100% autonomous and is incapable of basic common sense. It's as ignorant as it is sad.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how my Tesla could nag even more when driving on Autopilot, which I rarely do because of that.
I get a message to turn the steering wheel slightly every 10-15 seconds even when I'm driving a straight road with my hands on the wheel.
What more do people expect Tesla to do to keep people's attention on the road?

I thought the crash happened with a Model X?

The government recommends a more advanced system like a camera which can track where you're looking and even if you're drowsy. I believe they said everyone who has semi-autonomous features followed that recommendation, except tesla. You don't need to be touching the wheel in those systems, you just need to be looking at the road most of the time. It's actually less annoying and does a better job of making sure the driver is ready to take over.