• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
www.bloomberg.com

Tesla Bets on Bitcoin in Blue-Chip Boost to Cryptocurrency

The world’s leading electric-car maker is getting behind the the world’s largest electronic currency.

Tesla Inc. has invested $1.5 billion in Bitcoin and expects to start accepting the cryptocurrency as payment, Bloomberg News reports.

Prices for the digital asset surged to a record above $43,000 after the news.

Looks like you can order your Model S from the factory soon using only Bitcoin.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Was wondering why Bitcoin shot up like crazy the past little while. Broke its all time high like it was nothing.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not shocked or surprised. I'm more surprised when companies don't put their money into BTC. Especially tech. Tesla was at Saylor's meeting last Wednesday and Thursday. Looks like he sold them. 😂

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
People fomo'ing because all of a sudden everyone in the world is going to want to buy bitcoin to buy a Tesla! Such a joke, going to be some scary drops over the coming months with many underwater.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you pay in bitcoin for a tesla. People currently treat it like an investment not a currency.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People fomo'ing because all of a sudden everyone in the world is going to want to buy bitcoin to buy a Tesla! Such a joke, going to be some scary drops over the coming months with many underwater.

That's not the important news. The main news is more companies are putting their funds into BTC as a store of value.

Jun 16, 2018
This is a good move, I've always wanted to buy a car with my 2 BTC, wait can't afford it oh now I can oh wait I can't anymore

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
That's not the important news. The main news is more companies are putting their funds into BTC as a store of value.

That's great, I'm a bitcoin maximalist, I believe we will see 6 figures within 12 - 24 months. But anyone fomo'ing with this news is taking a massive gamble (unless they have steady hands and happy to hold for the foreseeable).

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
This forum being mostly bullish on the infinite dogecoin, but bearish on the most established crypto in the market is not something I expected.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be a point where central banks come down on this you'd think but they keep letting it grow.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I find the "it's a bubble" lines to be fascinating. I don't believe in the "Bitcoin as a currency" narrative, but I do think Bitcoin can be a long-term store of value (like gold).

Bitcoin has institutional support now. Tesla is not the only major entrant; Bitcoin has a place as an investment for diversified portfolios. Several financial and non-financial firms have Bitcoin on their balance sheets.

The "it's a bubble" claim relies on an underlying belief that Bitcoin will go to 0, which I just don't think could possibly happen at this point (except for, maybe, legislative action). Bitcoin is here to stay.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Today is a good day for Crypto :D

I find the "it's a bubble" lines to be fascinating. I don't believe in the "Bitcoin as a currency" narrative, but I do think Bitcoin can be a long-term store of value (like gold).

Bitcoin has institutional support now. Tesla is not the only major entrant; Bitcoin has a place as an investment for diversified portfolios.

The "it's a bubble" claim relies on an underlying belief that Bitcoin will go to 0, which I just don't think could possibly happen at this point (except for, maybe, legislative action). Bitcoin is here to stay.

100% -- the more that major institutions (specifically Banks) invest in crypto-desks, the more "legitimate" it becomes and the less likely the "bubble" will burst.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Bitcoin has institutional support now. Tesla is not the only major entrant; Bitcoin has a place as an investment for diversified portfolios. Several financial and non-financial firms have Bitcoin on their balance sheets.

If the Blockchain got completely compromised it could happen instantly.

OP
OP
artsi

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

Bitcoin is slowly becoming too big to fail, so many institutions have invested billions in BTC they can't let it crash anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
I still remember when bitcoins were around 1$ each. I hate myself for not buying some just for fun. 😭

No point in thinking that way. Of the people who have become "Bitcoin millionaires", only a very, very small number of them predicted that something like this would have happened. The majority of people just "got lucky"

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
And the intellectual bankruptcy of Elon Musk is complete. How the fuck do you try to "change the world" with an electric car company that will help stop global warming and then turn around and invest big in one of the single largest wastes of electrical power that's directly contributing to emissions on a global level?

I don't ever want to hear Tesla defenders telling me I can't criticize this shitty company because they're "saving the planet" ever again

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I have $100 in Dogecoin now. I'm looking forward to being a millionaire next Thursday.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
And the intellectual bankruptcy of Elon Musk is complete. How the fuck do you try to "change the world" with an electric car company that will help stop global warming and then turn around and invest big in one of the single largest wastes of electrical power that's directly contributing to emissions on a global level?

I don't ever want to hear Tesla defenders telling me I can't criticize this shitty company because they're "saving the planet" ever again

He can pump the market with a tweet and make himself even richer, I think you're overthinking his motives here. I would take his apparent backing of bitcoin on a business level with a pinch of salt for now.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pay for your faulty luxury car that will be recalled in a year with gasoline powered currency!

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree he moves the market, but also don't see how it's any different from lets say warren buffet making in investment in a company and their shares going up.

Tesla is free to invest on whathever they want but Musk shouldnt be tweeting crypto memes before this kind of investment.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
It really fucking gets me that it's Bitcoin specifically. I mean other options like Etherium are still bad but Bitcoin is the most egregiously wasteful currency out there right now. He could have used this as a chance to push Etherium and try to get people to migrate over to slow the burn of Bitcoin but no, he has to go for the big one