• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Q4 Earnings Report
OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Highlights:

- Cash
- $930M increase in our cash and cash equivalents in Q4 to $6.3B
- $1.0B operating cash flow less capex ("free cash flow") in Q4
- Profitability
- Profitability $359M GAAP operating income; 4.9% operating margin in Q4
- $105M GAAP net income; $386M non-GAAP net income (ex-SBC) in Q4
- Volume growth and successful cost reduction
efforts were offset by normalization of ASP, mix shift towards Model 3 and a higher lease mix.
- Model Y production ramp started in January 2020, ahead of schedule
- Increased Model Y all-wheel drive EPA range to 315 miles from 280 miles
- Record vehicle deliveries of 112,095 in Q4
- Record Q4 storage deployment of 530 MWh; 26% solar growth QoQ
- For most of 2019, nearly all orders came from new buyers
that did not hold a prior reservation, demonstrating significant reach
beyond those who showed early interest
- We were able to start Model 3 production
in Gigafactory Shanghai in less than 10 months from breaking ground
and have already begun the production ramp for Model Y in Fremont.
- In Q4, the annualized total vehicle production rate in Fremont was just over 415,000 units, about the same rate as the factory under NUMMI reached in its peak year of 2006. We achieved this production rate in spite of Model S/X running on a single shift and before the start of Model Y production.

Just unbelievable quarter. +1 Billion in free cash flow! 6.3 billion cash on hand...

Oh and you can now configure Model Y... Deliveries start in March!! With a range of 315 miles instead of 280.

Guidance to comfortably exceed 500k deliveries in 2020(I think this is a major undersell)

• Earnings: $2.14 adjusted vs. $1.72 per share expected.
  • Revenue: $7.38 billion versus $7.02 billion, expected according to Refinitiv.

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO i search tesla and see a headline of "expect tesla's stock to fall hard on earnings miss"

followed by "Tesla shared up 8% on strong earnings"

jesus CNBC is a joke

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Stock is up 37 dollars. Expectations show the projected move to be around 60 one way or the other. Such a crazy stock.

These short sellers have to be distraught right now.

What's crazy is that January 2021 5 dollar puts actually have value which means theres actually people still betting on it going bankrupt in 12 months.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Stock is up 37 dollars. Expectations show the projected move to be around 60 one way or the other. Such a crazy stock.

These short sellers have to be distraught right now.

What's crazy is that January 2021 5 dollar puts actually have value which means theres actually people still betting on it going bankrupt in 12 months.

Its up $65 on the day to $632 now lol

So this is crazy from the ir report, by Mid 2020 they will have installed capacity for 740k vehicles per year run rate:
screen-shot-2020-01-29-at-1-58-32-pm-png.505698

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome Q4, yep Tesla is on their way now. Looking forward to the ramp up over the next few years.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
now up over 10% in after hours

geez

if they can get an economy vehicle on the road within the next year or so, they're going to start taking over the entire market (due to external pressures pinching the ICE manufacturers)

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It will rocket up on this news for a week or so but it will eventually dip again as some people sell to take profits. I'm holding long but when it does peak it will be real tempting to sell off and buy in again on the dip.
It's possible this earnings report was one last gasp for the shorts. Could be about to see a short squeeze and a huge runup like weve never seen before.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, the ship has sailed for me, I will just hold the bunch of Tesla stocks I have and enjoy the ride. I don't think it will ever dip to the level I would be willing to add more.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Congrats to Tesla. The Model 3 is definitely the best car I have ever owned/driven by far. They're going to take over the automotive industry. At this point, of you can afford one, I see no reason to purchase any other car at that price range outside of some very specific circumstances.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Earnings confuse me sometimes. Facebook beat all estimates and is down 15 bucks a share after hours. MS barely beat up 4 bucks after hours. Telsa straight bananas after hours.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yep me too. Not for at least 5 years yet though, I'm super happy with my 2015 Crosstrek for now. I'd like to install solar panels first and invest more money into the market. I'm certain they will still be making the Model Y in five years. :)

Yeah it's gonna be some time, I just leased a BMW 2 series last year so I have 2 more years...also I really love that car.

My wife has a 2014 Lexus ES hybrid and that's quite reliable and we probably won't be getting rid of that anytime soon...so it might be a while.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep me too. Not for at least 5 years yet though, I'm super happy with my 2015 Crosstrek for now. I'd like to install solar panels first and invest more money into the market. I'm certain they will still be making the Model Y in five years. :)

I have a new M3 and a 2015 Crosstrek!

My next car will be a Model Y likely, but in 3 years or so.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Earnings confuse me sometimes. Facebook beat all estimates and is down 15 bucks a share after hours. MS barely beat up 4 bucks after hours. Telsa straight bananas after hours.

Tesla had a fantastic Q4 but I feel like the short squeeze will be driving it up over the next few days.

I have no doubt it will dip again at some point, but the valley won't be going super low anymore. This train is going way up over time from here on out. I feel it will accelerate towards the end of the year and after 2020 it's only going to be more pronounced.

I have a new M3 and a 2015 Crosstrek!

Hah, we actually have two Crosstreks, a 15 and a 17. Our plan is to trade mine in for the MY and she'll keep her 17 but eventually buy a Forester so we have something larger to car camp in.

That plan might change though if the VW Buzz turns out super awesome with a kick ass range.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Congrats to Tesla. The Model 3 is definitely the best car I have ever owned/driven by far. They're going to take over the automotive industry. At this point, of you can afford one, I see no reason to purchase any other car at that price range outside of some very specific circumstances.
No charge stations near me.
No ability to charge at home (own a townhome without a garage. My yard to parking space is over 100ft away)
No ability to charge at work.
No charging stations provided by our HOA.
I'd be on the list for a Model Y if I could get past some of these issues.

Oct 27, 2017

FB and MS are really based on where they were with their growth. While they beat estimates, investors really want to see FB expanding globally since that's where they need to be if there is any real growth to be made, and FB hasn't been making strong enough inroads there. MS on the other hand shows big gains in Azure cloud revenue, a huge growth segment since that market will only grow over time and AWS is still the big dog in the space.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
FB and MS are really based on where they were with their growth. While they beat estimates, investors really want to see FB expanding globally since that's where they need to be if there is any real growth to be made, and FB hasn't been making strong enough inroads there. MS on the other hand shows big gains in Azure cloud revenue, a huge growth segment since that market will only grow over time and AWS is still the big dog in the space.

I'm just bitching cuz they are in my portfolio which has most the big dogs except Google...which I'll probably eventually buy. Visa, Apple, MS, Amazon, Facebook. I really shouldn't complain lol

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
No charge stations near me.
No ability to charge at home (own a townhome without a garage. My yard to parking space is over 100ft away)
No ability to charge at work.
No charging stations provided by our HOA.
I'd be on the list for a Model Y if I could get past some of these issues.

Yeah, that's definitely an example of specific circumstances. That sucks. Sorry.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fucking fuck? It was trading at an extreme multiple just last month at like $425. Now $650+ after hours? The fuck now?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man when it was $450 I was like god damn, I missed the boat being so bearish on TSLA.

Now this shit. What in tarnation.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
Man when it was $450 I was like god damn, I missed the boat being so bearish on TSLA.

Now this shit. What in tarnation.
I was the same way as you, but when it "fell" (I choke just saying it) to $555, I pounced on it and bought as much as I felt comfortable due to the knowledge that the earnings call was coming up.

It went up since I bought, and I set a stop earlier today at 565 in case it fell after earnings came out....

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
My Bolt lease will be up in December, been eyeing the Model Y for a while now. Glad it should be out by then.

I'll probably be attacked by some here, but I have no stake in TSLA stock and don't want to touch it. At some point this multiple they're trading at is gonna fall hard. A record delivery quarter and they still had to depend on selling $130m worth of regulatory credits just to turn a profit.

As a car, I love them. I've driven a few 3's that are a bliss to drive. As a company, it makes me nervous as their valuation makes absolutely no sense from a business and numbers standpoint.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
As a company, it makes me nervous as their valuation makes absolutely no sense from a business and numbers standpoint.

The same could have been said of Amazon and Apple when they were in their early growth phases so very long ago. Tesla is following a very similar trajectory and history. They are not just a car company and many people are trying to valuate them like they are.

The market is starting to wake up to this, thus the rising stock price. There will be a point where the growth slows down and the earnings begin to pour in like a tsunami, and suddenly the seemingly "high" valuation will actually seem low. This is likely years away, but it is coming.