• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 1, 2018
It's Tesla vs. VW right now, everyone else is playing for distant third place.

VW won't be around at the end of the decade. The germans will start eating each other/consolidating once the lack of aggressive EV investment fucks them over long term. Nobody's even trying. BMW doesn't care. Mercedes doesn't care. Porsche fell on their face, unless they make an electric Macan. VW talks a big game but they haven't delivered anything Tesla-level in critical markets (USA)

Tesla is Apple in 2008, it's about to go insane and they will eventually be the biggest and most successful company on earth (and the solar system)

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
VW won't be around at the end of the decade. The germans will start eating each other/consolidating once the lack of aggressive EV investment fucks them over long term. Nobody's even trying. BMW doesn't care. Mercedes doesn't care. Porsche fell on their face, unless they make an electric Macan. VW talks a big game but they haven't delivered anything Tesla-level in critical markets (USA)

Did I something about Porsche? People were drooling over the Taycan reveal here.
I was only thinking about the next 5 years or so. VW hasn't delivered anything yet but they're the only company besides Tesla who can IMHO.

Tesla is Apple in 2008, it's about to go insane and they will eventually be the biggest and most successful company on earth (and the solar system

Well I don't know about that. They're still only making luxury cars right now.

Maybe if they make a Model 1 or Model 2 for those only need an electric Civic (since Honda won't do it).

Feb 1, 2018
People were drooling over the Taycan reveal here.

I drooled too, but they ruined it with the cocky, bonkers pricing. Shit was supposed to be a Panamera equivalent, starting at 75K and going up from there. and ONLY 200 MILES IRL RANGE LMAO. Porsche, the storied company with limitless R&D resources, that's the best they can do LOL. There's an industry brain monopoly, all the top engineers work at You Know Who

They're still only making luxury cars right now.

Model 3 isn't a luxury car, well I guess you can argue it is

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's priced like one.

$55K CAD for the SR+. You can get a Lexus for less.

That's not a car for everyone.

Most expensive trim package for the Accord and Camry start at around 35. Those are better comparable to even a base model 3 with options, and far behind in technology. The latest model 3 starts at 35, but for 2k more you can get the standard range plus and that's before incentives.

Last edited:

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
The base model 3 is hilariously behind its competitors in terms of options, at the same price. That's not to say its a bad car, considering what it is (a very high performance EV with actually good software), but it's still extremely spartan given what you're paying for.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Most expensive trim package for the Accord and Camry start at around 35. Those are better comparable to even a base model 3 with options, and far behind in technology. The latest model 3 starts at 35, but for 2k more you can get the standard range plus.

Yeah if I lived in the US it'd be a different story.

Top end Accord trim here is $41K but SR+ is $55K.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The base model 3 is hilariously behind its competitors in terms of options, at the same price. That's not to say its a bad car, considering what it is (a very high performance EV with actually good software), but it's still extremely spartan given what you're paying for.

Show me the competing EVs that are better for the price.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went to bed when it was around 516, thinking to myself that it'd probably close the day below 510 at minimum. Then I wake up and it's at like 530 in after hours trading lol

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Technology is the new luxury. The competition is putting diamonds and jewels and fancy materials on a flip phone... I don't care how nice or fancy the materials are it's still a dressed up flip phone. Tesla is a smart phone.

And model 3 is intentionally spartan on purpose as an owner I absolutely love it... everything can be controlled by voice now, even fhe freaking glove box and seat heaters so I don't miss the silly buttons and knobs one bit. The all glass roof is incredible, the seats are probably the most comfortable I've been in.... And the sound system is an absolutely unbelievable thing to experience... I think you are getting exactly what you pay for

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Went to bed when it was around 516, thinking to myself that it'd probably close the day below 510 at minimum. Then I wake up and it's at like 530 in after hours trading lol

Short sellers lost another billion dollars today, after hours margin calls going out might have something to do with it there's still freaking 25 million shares sold short!

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want to see the Tesla semi-trailer on the roads already. I think that will have another big positive psychological impact on the brand and of course the stock price.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EVs do not live in a vaccum.

That irrelevant right now. EV offer a number of features that ICE cars don't. It's not a 1-1. What's a comparable ICE that offers a simile 0-60, with auto pilot, AWD, and is regularly updated with new features?

Obviously at some point they have to be compared, but I don't really get the point you're trying to make.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I wish the Model 3 wasn't so expensive in Japan (dang Japanese Tariffs on foreign cars). Just the standard alone starts at $46k. Performance would be $65k.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That irrelevant right now. EV offer a number of features that ICE cars don't. It's not a 1-1. What's a comparable ICE that offers a simile 0-60, with auto pilot, AWD, and is regularly updated with new features?

Obviously at some point they have to be compared, but I don't really get the point you're trying to make.

I mean just the 0 to 60 alone you're looking at what a $60k+ ice? Lol

I wish the Model 3 wasn't so expensive in Japan (dang Japanese Tariffs on foreign cars). Just the standard alone starts at $46k. Performance would be $65k.

So Tesla said once the China gigafactory 3 is ramped up it will be delivering cars to the entire Asia region including like Australia. So not sure if that will include Japan but if it does that should significantly reduce the production and shipping costs to there. Performance and AWD will still only be made in Freemont, GF3 is supposed to be just standard 3 and Y for now.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Congratulations to long stockholders, that was too wild for me damn. Especially with that bankruptcy talk during summer.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I bought at $180 back in 2016 and I felt it was overpriced. Still holding, not sure where it goes from here but I've said that a number of times over the last few years.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suspect it will likely drop after Q1 and be moderate until Q3 again. I'm happy to be wrong but I could see a lot of people dancing on Tesla's grave for awhile between March and June again. People love to shit on Tesla and anything that's not smashing records is met with FUD.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I bought at $180 back in 2016 and I felt it was overpriced. Still holding, not sure where it goes from here but I've said that a number of times over the last few years.

I'm waiting for the Q4 call and selling the next day, then will likely re-buy in on a dip after Q1.

I bought when it was 180 earlier this year and am very happy with the return so far.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
VW won't be around at the end of the decade.

lol, yeah they will. They're one of the largest auto groups. 1/3 of all new cars sold in Germany are VW or one of their companies, which alone will keep them alive.

The germans will start eating each other/consolidating once the lack of aggressive EV investment fucks them over long term. Nobody's even trying. BMW doesn't care. Mercedes doesn't care. Porsche fell on their face, unless they make an electric Macan. VW talks a big game but they haven't delivered anything Tesla-level in critical markets (USA)

Tesla is Apple in 2008, it's about to go insane and they will eventually be the biggest and most successful company on earth (and the solar system)

I think you're overestimating how fast electric cars will gain in popularity. Electric cars still make up a very small percentage of new car sales.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're overestimating how fast electric cars will gain in popularity. Electric cars still make up a very small percentage of new car sales.

The switch from ICE to EV will take longer than the switch from cellphone to smartphone. That should be entirely expected given how much more money a car costs, how often people buy a new car, and how much completely new infrastructure needs to be built to make mass adoption of EV's feasible.

However mass adoption of EV's is coming, and Tesla is far and away the leader in EV's currently. So the longer legacy automakers continue to be unwilling/unable to make EV's that can compete with EV's from a company like Tesla, the more screwed they will be and the better positioned Tesla will be as the shift towards EV's continues.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I suspect it will likely drop after Q1 and be moderate until Q3 again. I'm happy to be wrong but I could see a lot of people dancing on Tesla's grave for awhile between March and June again. People love to shit on Tesla and anything that's not smashing records is met with FUD.

Yeah its like the seasonality of the auto business is somehow a shock, people just don't buy cars in Q1. It will never be as bad as last year though, several one time events. There's lots of things lined up early this year that might keep the stock high:

GF3 ramp and large China deliveries
Battery investor day
Model Y launch

And the big one is S&P 500 inclusion most likely after Q1, will be massive for the stock and is likely a big explanation for this recent run up, firms are anticipating inclusion and buying up necessary shares ahead of time hoping to get them cheaper

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I do think we're fast approaching a tipping point where EV's (and hybrids) start to rapidly gain traction. Partly because climate change is going to quickly become a major issue. Speaking locally I think the major things hindering mass adoption are price (by far number 1), the amount of recharging stations and generally the lack of options. That plus it's not really seen as a genuine option at this time.

I think this could change very quickly. By 2030 the auto industry will look very different and I could see EV's rapidly gaining market share.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The switch from ICE to EV will take longer than the switch from cellphone to smartphone. That should be entirely expected given how much more money a car costs, how often people buy a new car, and how much completely new infrastructure needs to be built to make mass adoption of EV's feasible.

However mass adoption of EV's is coming, and Tesla is far and away the leader in EV's currently. So the longer legacy automakers continue to be unwilling/unable to make EV's that can compete with EV's from a company like Tesla, the more screwed they will be and the better positioned Tesla will be as the shift towards EV's continues.

I agree, it is coming at some point in the future.

I disagree with people saying Tesla is going to completely dominate the market. Despite cars having a lot of tech these days, cars are still cars and not really tech items like a phone. Tesla getting in early is going to make sure they're a relevant brand in electric cars, but the car market is so big that in the future there's still going to be room for many different automakers, just like there was in the past and present.

Everyone says that Tesla is ahead of everyone else, but when most cars are electric I don't think it will matter. At that point you're no longer selling to early adopters and enthusiasts, but are selling to the general public. By that point the technology will have advanced to the point where worrying about range won't even be an issue.

Also, you can list off advantages of Tesla's all day long, or any other electric car that's good, but when it comes to the general public it doesn't matter. I mean, for example, American companies still sold a millions of cars in the 70's and 80's when they were making actual garbage cars. Literally trash.

I do think we're fast approaching a tipping point where EV's (and hybrids) start to rapidly gain traction. Partly because climate change is going to quickly become a major issue. Speaking locally I think the major things hindering mass adoption are price (by far number 1), the amount of recharging stations and generally the lack of options. That plus it's not really seen as a genuine option at this time.

I think this could change very quickly. By 2030 the auto industry will look very different and I could see EV's rapidly gaining market share.

I agree 100% with your reasons hindering mass adoption, but I don't think its going to change that quickly. I very well could be wrong though. I do agree that hybrids will become much more popular, as they don't have the two disadvantages you listed. They're much closer in price to their gas only versions, and you can fill them up at any gas station just like any other car in minutes and never have to worry about charging.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Additionally China might make the EV switch faster. They don't have high oil production and being less reliant on it is a big factor for them.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I disagree with people saying Tesla is going to completely dominate the market. Despite cars having a lot of tech these days, cars are still cars and not really tech items like a phone. Tesla getting in early is going to make sure they're a relevant brand in electric cars, but the car market is so big that in the future there's still going to be room for many different automakers, just like there was in the past and present.

Everyone says that Tesla is ahead of everyone else, but when most cars are electric I don't think it will matter. At that point you're no longer selling to early adopters and enthusiasts, but are selling to the general public. By that point the technology will have advanced to the point where worrying about range won't even be an issue.

Also, you can list off advantages of Tesla's all day long, or any other electric car that's good, but when it comes to the general public it doesn't matter. I mean, for example, American companies still sold a millions of cars in the 70's and 80's when they were making actual garbage cars. Literally trash.

I certainly don't think they'll dominate the market but I think they're in a strong position. One thing that probably isn't mentioned enough is the brand mindshare. Tesla is quickly becoming synonymous with electric cars and that's a huge advantage moving forward.

Having said that the real battle will be getting affordable EV's on the market. The first company to get a decent affordable EV on the market will sell a shitload IMO. There are so many people waiting to jump in just waiting on the prices to come down.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I agree 100% with your reasons hindering mass adoption, but I don't think its going to change that quickly. I very well could be wrong though. I do agree that hybrids will become much more popular, as they don't have the two disadvantages you listed. They're much closer in price to their gas only versions, and you can fill them up at any gas station just like any other car in minutes and never have to worry about charging.

But it does matter and recent charts have shown that. Go back and look at the comparison chart someone posted of the Model 3 vs. Bolt and other EV vehicles sales.

EV tech isn't just something that can be jumped onto and converted. There's a lot of vertical integration, AI work, and software, battery tech, etc. that has to be developed. Numerous articles have been written about how Tesla's battery tech is 3-5 years ahead of other auto companies. And they also have a supercharger network that is growing quickly which, in many ways, reminds me a bit of the early App Store for the iPhone in it's attachment appeal.

Consumers absolutely will care when they see two trucks, both for $45,000 and one has almost twice the range of the other, has a super charger network, has self driving capacity, and a number of other features.

Other companies may catch up, but they haven't yet, and they aren't doing it quickly so far.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But it does matter and recent charts have shown that. Go back and look at the comparison chart someone posted of the Model 3 vs. Bolt and other EV vehicles sales.

EV tech isn't just something that can be jumped onto and converted. There's a lot of vertical integration, AI work, and software, battery tech, etc. that has to be developed. Numerous articles have been written about how Tesla's battery tech is 3-5 years ahead of other auto companies. And they also have a supercharger network that is growing quickly which, in many ways, reminds me a bit of the early App Store for the iPhone in it's attachment appeal.

Consumers absolutely will care when they see two trucks, both for $45,000 and one has almost twice the range of the other, has a super charger network, has self driving capacity, and a number of other features.

Other companies may catch up, but they haven't yet, and they aren't doing it quickly so far.

Sure if they're shopping only for an electric car. But that's my point about rate of adoption. All the ways that Tesla is better doesn't matter when the vast majority of people still aren't even going to buy an electric car in the first place. I don't think mass adoption will happen until the technology is at a point where the price, range, and charging(refueling) time is about what ICE cars do right now. At that point, even a car that's inferior to a Tesla will still be "good enough" for the average person that doesn't care and just needs a car.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Just one small example of hundreds of the Tesla tech advantage. Litteraly any other car and you just have to take the insurance hit.

OP
OP
Ryno23

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wow just hit $545 pre market... Could be another day of fireworks. This is completely crazy

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
This is just so fascinating to witness. I bet, way back, folks would argue at the pub against moving to electrify their home. Since they already had lanterns and candles which were cheap and the fuel was readily available.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So the Q4 earnings report is tonight (after market close) and the stock is already up to 580 even before the report hits.

How high do you think the stock will go up tomorrow after the bell? I wonder if we'll see it go up over 700 in the next day or two? If it does I'm sure it will dip down again as many sell their shares for profit.

Who knows, maybe the news will be lacking and we'll see it go down instead!

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not confident it will go up. I think good results are already priced in to some degree. I think another big spike will require stellar results. We will see.

If it goes down big, I'll probably buy more. I have confidence in them long-term.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In all honesty, and this is the greedy side of me, I'm hoping it does hold or go down as I too want to buy more shares. I just need the next few paychecks to be able to do it, LOL!

I bought some more during one of the dips last week. I'll be happy either way. Big dip, more for purchases for me. Big spike, my current ones go up. Win/win.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
Very excited and nervous. Due to the small dip in share prices on 1/27, I took that as a my window and bought 460 shares at $555.48... I just put a stop order at $565 if it dips. Let's see what happens after the earnings call!

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited and nervous. Due to the small dip in share prices on 1/27, I took that as a my window and bought 460 shares... I have a stop at $465 if it dips. Let's see what happens after the earnings call!

460??!?! O_O

Damn and here I thought I had a good amount of shares, LOL.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
460??!?! O_O

Damn and here I thought I had a good amount of shares, LOL.
Well, I'm really kicking myself, because we bought the Model 3 in August, and loved it so much that my wife told me to buy Telsa then... I didn't... it was at $219 when I looked in August. I kept getting discouraged by it's rise, thinking I'm entering too late... then I heard about the earnings call, and saw the dip on 1/27... and took the chance. Hopefully it pays off. Regardless, with the Stop Order, I'm protected if it falls too much.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
My saddest story is that I had 2,000 shares of AMZN in 2002 that I purchased for $12.31.... I sold it excitedly when it reached $25.14.... I made about 100%... but.... BUT!!!

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My saddest story is that I had 2,000 shares of AMZN in 2002 that I purchased for $12.31.... I sold it excitedly when it reached $25.14.... I made about 100%... but.... BUT!!!

I'm holding Tesla for at least 5 years unless it does something crazy and blows into the $2,000 range. Even then I'd probably sell half and hold the rest.

I just want to ride or die the future.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm holding Tesla for at least 5 years unless it does something crazy and blows into the $2,000 range. Even then I'd probably sell half and hold the rest.

I just want to ride or die the future.
That's sound advice. Wish I could hold it, but I am likely going to have to cash out due to other investments that are around the corner. Perhaps, I can hold onto 20%.