• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know where to start. These were truly groundbreaking announcements. Incredibly fast battery production, 56% cheaper batteries, 54% larger energy density batteries (would enable up to 600 miles range), 69% cheaper/easier battery mfg facilities. BLOWN.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see how they plan on transitioning the 3 and Y to these new packs. If they plan on it at all.

My hunch is the low range base MY and M3 will use the current batteries while the long range versions of each would use the new 4680 cells. That's just my hunch for the near future though.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
520 mi range
0 to 60 < 2.0 seconds
200 mph top speed
1*M9DdOG4DQZtRXf0YfE8Z6Q.png

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
If I could get actual range (not hypothetical) of 450-500 miles in an SUV / Wagon (Estate) body then I'd be in for an electric car. Would mean I could do my longest journeys without having to refill.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Btw, with the 56% in $/kWh they touted, that would put that new battery at roughly 68 $/kWh, well below the 100 $/kWH that is considered a good start to make EV at the same price range as ICE vehicles.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
25k electric car is the real game changer in my opinion. They will sell as many as they can produce and it will become mainstream.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
If I could get actual range (not hypothetical) of 450-500 miles in an SUV / Wagon (Estate) body then I'd be in for an electric car. Would mean I could do my longest journeys without having to refill.
Recharging is really easy and doesn't take that long.

Have been planning to pull trigger on a Y performance but now think leasing might be the way to go. Massive improvements in 2-3 years and resale might not be that hot at that point.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017

Have been planning to pull trigger on a Y performance but now think leasing might be the way to go. Massive improvements in 2-3 years and resale might not be that hot at that point.
These are trips into the arse end of no-where. There are superchargers, but like, 50 miles out of the way.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
My hunch is the low range base MY and M3 will use the current batteries while the long range versions of each would use the new 4680 cells. That's just my hunch for the near future though.
You think they would split production into 2 different battery types? That seems problematic for them and streamlining their production rates and capacity.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
You think they would split production into 2 different battery types? That seems problematic for them and streamlining their production rates and capacity.

They are already planning a Plaid Model S which uses the new 4680 cell, so the base Model S will still use the old cells I imagine? Sounds to me like they are already planning this to some degree. Or maybe the base Model S will only use fewer 4680 cells than the Plaid S?

Don't know, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Nov 5, 2017
They don't like the whole 2022 thing it seems.
I hate how short term minded investors. If Tesla can actually achieve this goal, they will be on top for years to come and traditional car companies won't even come close to competing against Tesla. For all you know, the car companies might even purchase batteries from Tesla because their tech is so superior than anything the competition would be able to offer.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't even pay attention to any of the timelines Elon proposes.

That said, the innovations presented were truly game-changing if executed well. And Tesla's got some of the best engineers in the world, so I'm confident that they will.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Might not help you in this case but as adoption of these cars rapidly increases I'm assuming the number of charging stations will too.
Turns out I was wrong... it was actually over 100 miles to the nearest!

...and yeah, probably. But this area in particular is somewhat stuck in the dark ages generally. Very little investment.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Very interested to see how panasonic will respond. Most of the news I've been able to find from other manufacturers gets buried under tesla news.
Tesla already said they intend to expand their partnership with panasonic, CATL and LG. They are a battery starved company, they need all the manufacturing capability they can get.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Tesla already said they intend to expand their partnership with panasonic, CATL and LG. They are a battery starved company, they need all the manufacturing capability they can get.

They said they intend to continue their partnership to fill supply needs. That said Toyota also began a partnership with panasonic in January. Tesla is making it pretty obvious that they want to make their own batteries which puts them in competition with panasonic. Panasonic and Toyota were supposed to have a product announcement at this year's Olympics. That whole 3 way relation has had me interested for a while so I'm wondering what panasonic will say in the next coming months.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Wow lots to digest. I thought it would be something revolutionary like solid state but this is just as good. Thier plans for their own batteries nd the masive efficiency and cost reduction is as amazing as their single casting.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
In regards to the $25k car Tesla previewed this image back in January at the Shanghai Gigafactory event

tels.jpg

This is what I'm waiting for. Model 3 is nice but just a bit big for me. My 2010 Honda Fit is still going strong so should be fine to wait a few years. I'm lucky in that my work has a Tesla charger already set up. If I can get the above car in a performance package that meets or exceeds the performance of the current 3 Performance would be ideal.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Turns out I was wrong... it was actually over 100 miles to the nearest!

...and yeah, probably. But this area in particular is somewhat stuck in the dark ages generally. Very little investment.

Yeah i live in Australia and it feels like we're lagging most of the world when it comes to electric cars. I'm hoping things like this will help push us to move forward.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh I so wish this to be true. I wouldn't mind paying a premium on 400+ miles of range with new battery pack.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing announcements but the market doesn't like them because they aren't real yet.

2022 may as well be "maybe 2025? maybe never?"

OP
OP
JustinBB7

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I don't even drive cars but I just like the aspect of everything being cleaner. Also could this battery stuff also lead to better batteries outside of cars? I thought I read about phone batteries lasting weeks or something, but I forgot if that was related to this.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't even drive cars but I just like the aspect of everything being cleaner. Also could this battery stuff also lead to better batteries outside of cars? I thought I read about phone batteries lasting weeks or something, but I forgot if that was related to this.

From my understanding the density gains were due to form factor efficiency on cylindrical cells which was due to tabless manufacturing. This will absolutely help larger modules such as the ones used in EVs. That said, standard battery form factor cylindrical like AA and AAA will benefit from cost (through more efficient continous manufacturing) but not density. Phones don't use cylindrical cells so won't benefit from tabless manufacturing. All of these could benefit from the more direct anode value chain but not much detail was given there. The lithium brine extraction also seems vague since it was mentioned that is hasn't been done, but it has been done many times (you can find quite a few papers on different methods), its just not as cost efficient apparently. That said they seem to be testing methods of lithium brine extraction that may be more efficient. Still digging into all of this myself.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah that's my thinking too. I got a M3P on a 3 year lease. It's been great, but I won't actually buy until we get 400 + mile range

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
All in all, they unveiled very promissing battery tech. As usual, it's not nothing new but something that other manufacturers were not willing to risk to do. They are going to tweak everything to reach their goals - battery form, build materials, factory processes, car integration, factory layout, and even mining.

They are now far ahead of everyone, and in few years they will be lightyear ahead.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
They are now far ahead of everyone, and in few years they will be lightyear ahead.

for real. I'm planning on buying an EV in the next 5 years and the idea of buying some old and busted tech from GM or VW instead of this kind of end to end rethought tech totally takes the shine off the legacy car brands. A very similar feeling to PC laptops vs Mac laptops.