• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how this is supposed to look in a lineup next to their other cars it is so completely out of place. I was 1000000% sure this was an Elon troll up until the stream ended. Maybe it still is.

I think it would be fantastic if real, but it's probably not. If I'm not wrong, a modern car's design is governed by a lot of regulations, and things like lack of wing mirros and way too tiny headlights would not be possible.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
large.jpg[img]

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's with people suddenly liking this thing? Did the textures and geometry load in for you or something?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
My biggest issue remains that this was billed as a pickup truck.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah this is definitely what they thought 2020 cars would look like in 1980

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know what to think at first, but now I think I really like the design. Definitely has those Blade Runner vibes that Elon Musk teased about.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, nobody is commenting a tri-motor 500+ mile EV range? I know the looks are shocking but 500+ miles is a huge development.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
You know why cars like this looked cool when you saw them in movies in the 80s? Because everything else in the fictional world matched that aesthetic.
I am just in awe at how horrible this looks and how it even passed design meetings.

EDIT: The only impressive things about this are the price and the power it delivers.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Kinda reminds me of the Ford Probe in the UK an American styled futuristic car in the late 90's here. Ultimately looked fucking awful and just not contemporary in any good way whatsoever. What the hell.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Cross between a concept moon buggy, a military vehicle and something from blade runner. The pointy ceiling will take getting used to but man it is nutty.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got it...this is just a prototype exploration set of vehicles for Mars being colonised.

Space rockets - check Falcon
Space transport/landing vehicle - check Starship
Futuristic car design that sucks like the movies - check Cybertruck
Personal exploration made cool with futuristic - check ATV
Futuristic trailer for science shit to move around - check Cybertrailer

Next up from Tesla/SpaceX is the rebooted dome habitat, you guessed it, with a futuristic redesign and self deploying mode.

I applaud Tesla/SpaceX for the innovations and features along the journey until now, shit even the features of this cybertruck I'll congratulate but this design is what happens in the development room when you get too many yes men/brownnosers. Clearly they wanted to streamline manufacturing vs the feature set vs cost but it needed to be something more everyday and appealing to everybody to drive.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for it. I like the design myself so hopefully in 2 years time It'll be somewhat the same when it ships lol.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of people from the Tesla subreddit have mentioned that the last couple of Tesla announcements like the Roadster and Semi were shown without mirrors. The design is growing on me a bit, the big shock is that there's nothing else out there that looks like it so I don't have the frame of reference. It still goes down as one of the worst product launches I've ever seen.
I think eventually mirrorless vehicles will be approved by the US govt.

Living in California its not like anyone uses mirrors anyways

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
To be fair, what makes it not a pick up truck?
by virtue of it not being a pickup. Trucks have has the same basic shape forever because that is what a pickup is. That Tesla is much closer to an SUV or car.

Edit: I'm somewhat joking around. I get it technically meets the requirements to be a truck.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand this truck may not appeal but that 500+ range technology will make to the Model 3/X/Y etc...in their next iterations and my point is that a HUGE deal in the world of electric cars.
unless it's because the size of the vehicle that will house the batteries that allows it. i doubt they're going to cram that in the other cars.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I like the design. It's future as fuck and it's about time car manufacturer's go bolder. That said, I have no need for a pickup or a car in general lol.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got it...this is just a prototype exploration set of vehicles for Mars being colonised.

Space rockets - check Falcon
Space transport/landing vehicle - check Starship
Futuristic car design that sucks like the movies - check Cybertruck
Personal exploration made cool with futuristic - check ATV
Futuristic trailer for science shit to move around - check Cybertrailer

Next up from Tesla/SpaceX is the rebooted dome habitat, you guessed it, with a futuristic redesign and self deploying mode.

I applaud Tesla/SpaceX for the innovations and features along the journey until now, shit even the features of this cybertruck I'll congratulate but this design is what happens in the development room when you get too many yes men/brownnosers. Clearly they wanted to streamline manufacturing vs the feature set vs cost but it needed to be something more everyday and appealing to everybody to drive.
He did joke tweet earlier today that a pressurized version of the cybertruck would be the official truck of mars lol

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn, I've generally liked Tesla design language so far but this is soooooooooo out there. I kinda respect the ballsiness but I think it's gonna be a hard miss for the existing pickup truck market.... Feels like it'll just appeal to off-kilter-taste hobbyists more than the actual folks that we desperately need to ween off of fossil fuel trucks.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
you're reaching here. it's a pickup truck.
How is it a pickup? A car's type is dictated by its design. A pickup truck is a specific thing and this ain't it. You can't just label something a truck because there is a storage area in the back.