• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
9Xmm.gif

Ok what is this GIF? Lol

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. It will be the cheaper option for you when the alternative is paying many thousands of dollars a year in insurance because autonomous driving is massively cheaper and also over having to pay a special license fee so that society can pay the costs associated with handling the consequences of your statistically unsafe driving.
First of all: cheaper for the driver and cheaper for the manufacturer are not the same thing.

Secondly: this isn't autonomous driving. I'm not even sure what this is, predictive driving?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this has anything to do with Elon or his Tweets.

Production costs must go down. Redundancies must be eliminated. Resources used must be reduced. Simplification through digitalization is necessary.

Technological advances are about doing more with less. It's about optimizations. There is no two ways about this. Other car makers can keep the status quo if they want, until the costs snd inefficiencies catch up to them, and they will.

Redundancies are (or should be at least) much more difficult to remove when human safety is involved. The last time Jeep tried to eliminate redundancies with PRND it killed Anton Yelchin

variety.com

Anton Yelchin Received Jeep Recall Notice 7 Days After His Death

Yelchin's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit Tuesday against Fiat Chrysler, alleging a defect in his Jeep Grand Cherokee's gear shifter caused his death

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First of all: cheaper for the driver and cheaper for the manufacturer are not the same thing.

Secondly: this isn't autonomous driving. I'm not even sure what this is, predictive driving?

It's a pathway to autonomous driving. You can't build an actual steam engine in 0AD even if you have the plans, you need the infrastructure to get there, which itself must be sustained. That happens incrementally.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
Ha. No. It is necessary otherwise we can't transition massively to EV. It will happen and fast because it is fundamentally required to move forward, so investments in R&D will accelerate.

I remember when I was talking about self-driving vehicles in 2006 and people were telling me "no way, not in our life time!" or in 2008 when I said consoles would go full digital two generations from then and people would yell they would never move to digital and that I was nuts.

Self-driving to recharge it the foundation on which EV adoption will rely on to be adopted massively. We cannot make the transition with charging stations littering sidewalks. I don't have to argue about this, it is basic economics.

I mean, 2006 was 15 years ago. MIT just put out a pretty lengthy research piece on this exact topic last July and we're still 'at least a decade' (more certainly decades) away from that level of autonomy, especially on any appreciable scale.

Fully autonomous driving is really besides the point here; we'd need more redundancies at those levels, not less.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between self driving where the car knows where it wants to go and what direction it needs to go in to get there and... me wanting to go somewhere and the car apparently just knowing if I want to go forwards or backwards?

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pathway to autonomous driving. You can't build an actual steam engine in 0AD even if you have the plans, you need the infrastructure to get there, which itself must be sustained. That happens incrementally.
Removing the stick doesn't change anything for the development of autonomous cars, gears currently used in (premium) serial car can be driven by algorithm in addition to the stick.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
There are so many edge cases though!

The most basic one would be backing out of my drive way. I back up till the edge of the road and pause to check for traffic. How will it know whether to switch to Drive or stay in Reverse?

That's definitely a concern. I don't see what that has to do with switching via touch controls though.

I think your case probably wouldn't be that much of an issue though, especially if you had entered a destination.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There is a very significant difference between this and autonomous driving.

With autonomous driving the car knows the intended destination.

With this the car is attempting to guess at the user's intention.

This is not a pathway to autonomous driving, this is a needless attempt to reduce user input and control during normal driving.

Also, I dunno if you'd noticed but they've actually been doing a pretty decent job at developing autonomous driving without needing to do this.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is a very significant difference between this and autonomous driving.

With autonomous driving the car knows the intended destination.

With this the car is attempting to guess at the user's intention.

This is not a pathway to autonomous driving, this is a needless attempt to reduce user input and control during normal driving.

Also, I dunno if you'd noticed but they've actually been doing a pretty decent job at developing autonomous driving without needing to do this.

"Car guesses drive direction based on what obstacles it sees, context & nav map," Musk tweeted. "After you drive without using a PRND stalk/stick for a few days, it gets very annoying to go back & use a shifter! You can override on touchscreen."

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
"Car guesses drive direction based on what obstacles it sees, context & nav map," Musk tweeted. "After you drive without using a PRND stalk/stick for a few days, it gets very annoying to go back & use a shifter! You can override on touchscreen."
Yes; how do you know you have to override it though? The main issue is not that the stick changed to buttons (though that is another discussion), it's that the car chooses a gear without your input (and therefore potentially knowledge).

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What if you're parked at the edge of a cliff? I mean I guess there's manual controls but still.
car-cliff.gif

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes; how do you know you have to override it though? The main issue is not that the stick changed to buttons (though that is another discussion), it's that the car chooses a gear without your input (and therefore potentially knowledge).

Well I guess if you don't want to use the feature you override it? I never used FaceID on my iPhone.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
If this works perfectly, it'll be amazing.

If not, it will be bad.

Tesla is only doing this (the lack of a shifter, the steering wheel) because this is mainly a refresh and not a new car. It needs to excite, so we get a bunch of interior gimmicks.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The issue is more that the car can change your gear without you being aware of it. So when you accelerate, you go the opposite direction you expected to. Which humans don't react well to.

What does that have to do with looking at a screen specifically being dangerous?

I understand the concerns people have about getting used to the automated switching and having it fail. The post I quoted said they were concerned with the fact that the manual switching is on a touch screen. That doesn't seem ideal to me, I'd far rather have a traditional gear selector, but I don't see how it's dangerous.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There are two possible scenarios here:

1. The system gets it wrong often enough that the user won't trust it so they'll simply choose to override it most of the time rendering it pointless in the first place.

2. It works often enough that the user grows to trust it and eventually someone becomes complacent and drives out into traffic instead of reversing further down their drive.

As a side note: I'm all for autonomous driving but as I said before this is not autonomous driving. This is mixing human driving (which we all know isn't exactly brilliant) with predictive technology which will fail from time to time.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are two possible scenarios here:

1. The system gets it wrong often enough that the user won't trust it so they'll simply choose to override it most of the time rendering it pointless in the first place.

2. It works often enough that the user grows to trust it and eventually someone becomes complacent and drives out into traffic instead of reversing further down their drive.

Yes.

I assume that will be determined before it hits the market.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmmmmmnoooooooo. No, I think I'm gonna stick with having a traditional gear shift.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess if you don't want to use the feature you override it? I never used FaceID on my iPhone.
Nothing indicates you can not use?
The issue is that the car choses your gear, meaning when accelerating from standstill (assuming the gear is only changed in standstill), you can never 100% be sure in which direction you'll go. Which is a serious security hazard.
As shown by the people that accidentally mistake the brake and acceleration pedal (and their reaction of accelerating even more instead of braking), humans don't react well to cars not acting like they expect to.

What does that have to do with looking specifically being dangerous?

I understand the concerns people have about getting used to the automated switching and having it fail. The post I quoted said they were concerned with the fact that the manual switching is a touch screen. That doesn't seem ideal to me, I'd far rather have a traditional gear selector, but I don't see how it's dangerous.
Oh yeah sorry, didn't go back in your discussion enough to see that.
Touchscreens are more failure prone than sticks, but yeah, my main concern really isn't there.
The looking point is important though, because that's the core of the issue: if you are standing, and for whatever emergency reason, you have to accelerate or go backwards, that feature is the worst thing I can think of, as you'll never be sure which direction you'll go without looking at the gear status. time you don't have (or thing you don't think to do) in an emergency situation.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nothing indicates you can?
The issue is that the car choses your gear, meaning when accelerating from standstill (assuming the gear is only changed in standstill), you can never 100% be sure in which direction you'll go. Which is a serious security hazard.
As shown by the people that accidentally mistake the brake and acceleration pedal (and their reaction of accelerating even more instead of braking), humans don't react well to cars not acting like they expect to.

Oh yeah sorry, didn't go back in your discussion enough to see that.
Touchscreens are more failure prone than sticks, but yeah, my main concern really isn't there.
The looking point is important though, because that's the core of the issue: if you are standing, and for whatever emergency reason, you have to accelerate or go backwards, that feature is the worst thing I can think of, as you'll never be sure which direction you'll go without looking at the gear status. time you don't have (or thing you don't think to do) in an emergency situation.

What if there's a little arrow showing the direction it's going to go in? And you just set it manually if you want? You have to look at your stick shift before going forward or in reverse no?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
You have to look at your stick shift before going forward or in reverse no?
No.

If you've passed your driver's test you should not need to be looking at the stick to know what position it's in.

Regardless, if you have to check whether or not it has chosen the correct direction every time what's the point in the first place?

It's going to save so little effort/time.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
What if there's a little arrow showing the direction it's going to go in? And you just set it manually if you want? You have to look at your stick shift before going forward or in reverse no?
If I was driving in D and come to a stop, no I don't have to look at it to know I'll move forward if I let go of the brake / accelerate. That's the main point: as I am still the driver, and not the AI, I know what gear I am into; I also know in which direction I want to go; ergo I know if I have to change gear or not. Which is exactly what I can't do with this feature without adding an unnecessary (and potentially confusing) step.
The arrow is a poor help in emergency situations.
Well now you do have to look at it before switching direction. It's safer. Oh the horror.
It's also much longer, something you have to learn to do (as no other car forces you to do this) and are unlikely to think about doing in stressful situations.
All of which are safety hazards.

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Well now you do. It's safer.
No, you don't need to look because the stick provides tactile feedback. Also, you as the driver will have placed the stick in its current position.

You know which gear you're in without needing to look.

And as I said before, if you're forced to check which direction it has chosen every time what's the benefit?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna see someone try to get this car loose when it's stuck in snow. Having to constantly tap some tiny ass buttons on a screen while the car does it's own decisions.

Just as ridiculous as the stupid wheel.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna see someone try to get this car loose when it's stuck in snow. Having to constantly tap some tiny ass buttons on a screen while the car does it's own decisions.

Just as ridiculous as the stupid wheel.
I'd like to see someone do an emergency stop then reverse without spending 5 seconds faffing with some touchscreen buttons.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really trust a car to do things like this, especially when it comes to backing out of a space in a crowded parking lot.

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
what if you have to go in reverse in a long drive way? it would be clear in front of you so would it know to go in reverse?