• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
The irony of tons of people piling in here to jump on the hate train without not even knowing who the person is.

Like, Terry Gilliam, member of Monty Python, director of The Fisher King, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as well as Life of Brian, who "has been involved with a number of charitable and humanitarian causes". Sure, he's an old white guy and probably has some shitty views, but I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion.

He has spoken out against Trump and Brexit, even going against Cleese on the latter, so there's that: https://www.theguardian.com/culture...-funnier-than-monty-python-says-terry-gilliam
I don't care what critically acclaimed movies he directed or what dipshit dumb policies or politicians he's publicly criticized. Him stating "It gives young black kids the idea that this is something to believe in" is a completely bullshit statement from a white man to claim as a fact. He has no business saying this.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i guess it's also pretty weird to complain about how superheroes aren't real or whatever and specifically singling out black panther for that when it's like the only one of the eight hundred marvel films that even sort of approaches the idea that maybe there are a lot of societal problems that can't be solved by punching things

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is like clockwork, man. Some famous white person says some bigoted shit, black people respond with "Wow, that's really fucking racist", and white people immediately rush in to do the "Well, actually" schtick.

I don't care. I don't give a single goddamn fuck who he is, what's he done, or whatever erroneous bullshit someone wants to come in with to tell me what I read and see isn't real. It's a disgusting take, one that's disrespectful at best towards Ryan Coogler and Ruth E. Carter, the first black woman to win an *Oscar* for Best Costume Design, who he calls "some stylist that got African pattern fabrics". And yes, it's racist at worst.

Fuck off. Just fuck off to Mars somewhere and leave black people alone.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of tons of people piling in here to jump on the hate train without not even knowing who the person is.

Like, Terry Gilliam, member of Monty Python, director of The Fisher King, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as well as Life of Brian, who "has been involved with a number of charitable and humanitarian causes". Sure, he's an old white guy and probably has some shitty views, but I wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion.

He has spoken out against Trump and Brexit, even going against Cleese on the latter, so there's that: https://www.theguardian.com/culture...-funnier-than-monty-python-says-terry-gilliam

Y'all need to stop thinking that speaking out against trump means you can't say racist shit.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like a few of the Pythons have turned out a bit shit
Nah, it's mostly just Gilliam and maybe John Cleese who are a bit of an ass sometimes.

Michael Palin and Eric Idle are still totally awesome and Terry Jones is also a good person as far as I know (his health situation is not so good, unfortunately :( )

Graham Chapman died too early, but all signs point towards him being a great guy as well.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok boomer

Seen nearly all his films. They've been rubbish for two decades. He's railed against #MeToo, diversity, identity politics, and black kids finding aspiration in Black Panther. He thinks he's a victim as a white man. Also, his movies are very white. He is peak white fragility.
htGrFYZ.gif

Oct 28, 2017
wakanda isn't real either tho. That's the point. I don't think black panther is claiming to represent African culture in a realistic way at all.
This contradicts a lot of what I've heard, including what the director and other creators of the movie has said.

If you can't see that Wakanda is clearly meant to be a more realistic representation And reflection of reality than Asgard, then I can't help you. You basically think it's all fantasy bullshit that has no relation to reality like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
He's right about the movies messaging being pretty shit. Pretty embarrassing to run a revolutionary terrorist as a bad guy when you can't run a competing ideology against his. Like okay, Killmonger bad, terrorism probably isn't a real solution to black issues but then the movie completely fails to provide an alternative. Wakandan outreach and solidarity with the african diaspora is a nice idea but what is the real world message from that? Because if its 'well off black people need to do more to uplift poorer communities' that's about as what the fuck as it comes. What other message is there? 'Wait to be saved'? I just don't get it. Black people can't uplift themselves until the boot comes off their neck, that's the problem, atleast killmongers plan addressed the boot.

imo they flat out say that killmonger isn't actually a revolutionary, he just wants wakanda to be an Imperialist power like the united states (but also: it's super funny that the guy who says this, and the only prominent white person in the film, is a CIA agent, which, LOLLLL)

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
You're wrong. His statement is factually incorrect when it comes to the creative process of the film and is riddled with his ignorant assumptions.

You also are fine parroting and espousing his accusation that Black Panther is only successful because of "identity politics".

Try harder next time and ask yourself why he chose Black Panther in particular to go on this screed.

Its not only successful because identity politics. Black panther is great a movie, but Identity politics was huge part of its success as well.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually nah, this cracker needs to apologize to Ruth E. Carter asap. Disgusting amount of disrespect towards her.

Oct 27, 2017
As an Eritrean, I wasn't a fan of it either. I think the strongest parts of the movie was Killmonger's perspective of how Wakanda abandoned other Africans and valued secrecy and paranoia over the common good.

I get that lots of the material comes from the comics, but maybe two white guys from the 70s aren't the best source for representing a diverse set of African cultures.

Frankly, things like the spears shooting projectiles, dragonfly shape vehicles and armored rhinos just seemed like the movie didn't know how to represent Africa without some of the most cliche themes. It's like they knew the culturally relevant aspects of African cultures before colonialism and just said "let's just say none of this changes at all". But that's silly to assume things like "oh an African nation not influenced by colonialism would surely take their existing basic spears and decide they should make it shoot projectiles. Let them represent their culture in more practical ways.

same thing with the shitty government system. Why the hell is this shitty monarchy existing with a stupid tradition of combat? I don't like hearing "oh it's just done out of simple respect to the tradition, because they exercise that tradition twice.

I'm also Eritrean (aaayyee), I agree and disagree with this but I was/am a big fan of the movie. The war rhinos I do think are corny but I kinda like the spears and ships, I think it sells the fact that Wakandan technology evolved on its own path separate from western design ideas. As for BP taking ideas from "two white guys", the basic premise is still the same but the past 20 years of BP comics have had Black writers (like Ta-nehisi Coates) and the movie owes more to the recent runs then the old ones.

The stuff about the country being a monarchy wasn't very examined in the movie but the most recent run of the comics actually tackled this head on and ends with Wakanda becoming a constitutional Monarchy with a parliament and I'm willing to bet at some point Coogler hits that plotline.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Says the guy that thinks Solo is excellent.

Yup. Sorry not parroting out the same opinions 90% of people do.

I don't hate the prequels, I don't think Doom 3, Alien 3, Dead Space 3, or Terminator 3 suck, and I don't think Marvel movies are amazing.

And I wasn't even inflammatory with what I said and still you take issue with it. But I doubt you'd be so nice criticizing the prequels or Solo would you.

Lovely double standard. People can SHIT on the prequels, but I can't even say I think a Marvel movie was alright.

Gotta follow the status quo right?

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm honestly getting fucking tired of "they're anti Trump" as a defense for somebody being racist

You can be as liberal as you want and still not give a fuck about black people

Oct 28, 2017
I'm also Eritrean (aaayyee), I agree and disagree with this but I was/am a big fan of the movie. The war rhinos I do think are corny but I kinda like the spears and ships, I think it sells the fact that Wakandan technology evolved on its own path separate from western design ideas. As for BP taking ideas from "two white guys", the basic premise is still the same but the past 20 years of BP comics have had Black writers (like Ta-nehisi Coates) and the movie owes more to the recent runs then the old ones.

The stuff about the country being a monarchy wasn't very examined in the movie but the most recent run of the comics actually tackled this head on and ends with Wakanda becoming a constitutional Monarchy with a parliament and I'm willing to bet at some point Coogler hits that plotline.
Well what I specifically don't like about the spears is that they are laughably impractical as a firearm. I actually like the idea of the warriors carrying vibranium spears much like many nations have standing armies publicly portraying themselves with traditional clothing and weapons. But they aren't going to go to war with them. The brilliant Wakanda scientists shouldn't be like "who needs anything that actually assists with aiming and holding the firearm. It must look like a spear!"

I get the motivation to find places to represent a culture, but that is one of the most hamfisted ways to do it. It's okay to say "hey weapons tend to be more like this because that's just what's actually functional".

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They always love to shout THIS AINT REAL YOU BLACKS, while yapping for hours about the Blackfire rebelion against the Tagaryens or speaking Klingon like a dork.

He is a racist bitch and I don't care about his wokecredentials, and thinking racism works as a point system makes you a shit ally.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Explain to me what his filmography has to do with anything.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
You're wrong. His statement is factually incorrect when it comes to the creative process of the film and is riddled with his ignorant assumptions.

You also are fine parroting and espousing his accusation that Black Panther is only successful because of "identity politics".

Try harder next time and ask yourself why he chose Black Panther in particular to go on this screed.
Neither he nor I have ever said that the movie was only successful because of identity politics. Thanks for putting words into both of our mouths.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
This contradicts a lot of what I've heard, including what the director and other creators of the movie has said.

If you can't see that Wakanda is clearly meant to be a more realistic representation And reflection of reality than Asgard, then I can't help you. You basically think it's all fantasy bullshit that has no relation to reality like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

Realistic?

Uhm. I wouldn't call Wakanda realistic nor a reflection of reality. Lasers, technology that dwarfs ours, shields that make the city invisible.

Black Panther is definitely fantasy, closer to Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. I mean, Black Panther talks to ghosts in it. That's closer to force ghosts than not.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna defend Gilliam, he's proven himself to be an asshole the last few years. And there are some quotes in this thread showing that already. But that Black Panther quote is taken out of context. In the original full article, it's one or two paragraphs out of 7-8 paragraphs talking about Marvel movies. He didn't single out Black Panther, the clickbait article did.

Oct 28, 2017
Realistic?

Uhm. I wouldn't call Wakanda realistic nor a reflection of reality. Lasers, technology that dwarfs ours, shields that make the city invisible.

Black Panther is definitely fantasy, closer to Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. I mean, Black Panther talks to ghosts in it. That's closer to force ghosts than not.
You can't square that with the creator's intent to portray a futuristic African nation that was isolated from colonialism. This is just a weak excuse to defend depictions of Africa that lean on some of the most tired cliches. Even if they were trying to be Star Wars, assault rifle spears and armored rhinos didn't come out of nowhere randomly.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Racism
I'm honestly getting fucking tired of "they're anti Trump" as a defense for somebody being racist

You can be as liberal as you want and still not give a fuck about black people

All I'm saying is that it's possible that he had some other reason for saying this than just plain old racism, considering a lot of other things he's done.

Oh well, jumping out of this thread before someone mentions that Monty Python did blackface sketches.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh, this moron..
"I no longer want to be a white male, I don't want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I'm a black lesbian… My name is Loretta and I'm a BLT, a black lesbian in transition."

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I'm saying is that it's possible that he had some other reason for saying this than just plain old racism, considering a lot of other things he's done.

Oh well, jumping out of this thread before someone mentions that Monty Python did blackface sketches.
It made me cry: the idea that … no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show. Now we need one of this, one of that, everybody represented… this is bullshit. I no longer want to be a white male, I don't want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I'm a black lesbian… My name is Loretta and I'm a BLT, a black lesbian in transition. His statement made me so angry, all of us so angry. Comedy is not assembled, it's not like putting together a boy band where you put together one of this, one of that everyone is represented.
Yeah this guy clearly wouldn't say some racist shit

White skin is the ultimate get out jail free card

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
You can't square that with the creator's intent to portray a futuristic African nation that was isolated from colonialism. This is just a weak excuse to defend depictions of Africa that lean on some of the most tired cliches. Even if they were trying to be Star Wars, assault rifle spears and armored rhinos didn't come out of nowhere randomly.

Sure. You can argue armored rhinos and laser spears are the natural progression of an Africa that was isolated from the rest of the world.

But...that argument does fall a bit flat. It still revolves around the Macguffin of Vibranium, a fantasy metal that lets them progress beyond the rest of the world, thus instead of taking the modern conforms of guns and tanks, they're able to produce Laser Spears, City-wide shields, and Armored Rhinos.

Black Panther is fantastical and a modern fantasy. And that's fine. But it's also closer to Star Wars/Lord of the Rings than it is not.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Seriously the OP article is so obviously designed to manipulate and garner outrage, condensing a page of thoughts to a single sentence twitterable soundbite. There's almost always a more nuanced discussion to be had if you think for a second. Here's the whole relevant quote:

However, not all auteurs are as lucky, and for Gilliam, the towering reign of Marvel movies at the box office pose an attack on this very kind of creative freedom. "I don't like the fact they're dominating the place so much," he said. "They're taking all the money that should be available for a greater variety of films. Technically, they're brilliant. I can't fault them because the technical skills involved in making them are incredible."

However, he cautioned that Disney and Marvel's seemingly infinite resources could be put to better use. "If you are that powerful, you should be dealing with reality a bit more." He also warned of what he believes to be the central lie peddled by such films, and the cultural threat it poses. "What I don't like is that we all have to be superheroes do anything worthwhile. That's what makes me crazy. That's what these movies are saying to young people. And to me it's not confronting the reality of, you know, the quote-unquote human condition. You know what it is like to be a normal human being in difficult situations and resolving them surviving," he said. "I can't fault them for the sheer spectacle, except it's repetitive. You still have to blow up another city."

"Where's the gravity, where's real gravity? Because [in superhero movies,] everything is possible," Gilliam said of the limitless worlds of the MCU. "It's the limitations that make life interesting. Okay, so your suit burns up. So you get another suit because you're Tony Stark. It's not enough. They dominate so much."

Gilliam also argued that superhero tentpoles are drying out any available resources for mid-budget films. "There isn't room or money for a greater range of films. You make a film for over $150 million or less than $10 [million]. Where's all this other stuff? It doesn't exist anymore," he said. "I make films where I'm trying to make people think. I mean, I try to entertain them enough that they don't fall asleep on me, and they're there to make you think and look at the world in a different way, hopefully, and consider possibilities. Those films don't do that."

Gilliam said he's not a fan of Ryan Coogler's 2018 "Black Panther," which critics heralded as a gust of fresh wind in the superhero canon, and one that welcomed diversity and inclusion to an otherwise airtight, white-dominated universe of films. Earning more than $1.3 billion worldwide, "Black Panther" penetrated the cultural consciousness in a way few superhero films ever had, but Gilliam isn't buying it.

"I hated 'Black Panther.' It makes me crazy. It gives young black kids the idea that this is something to believe in. Bullshit. It's utter bullshit. I think the people who made it have never been to Africa," he said. "They went and got some stylist for some African pattern fabrics and things. But I just I hated that movie, partly because the media were going on about the importance of bullshit."

When asked if he felt that critical praise for "Black Panther" was a politically correct response that ignored aesthetics in favor of identity politics, Gilliam said, "It makes my blood boil." The conversation pivoted to controversial remarks he made back in 2018 amid the Harvey Weinstein fallout and the wave of voices that responded to form the #MeToo movement. "We're in the era of the victim. We are all victims. It's all somebody else, abusing us, taking advantage of us. We are powerless, except except that we go out and do other things," he said.

Gilliam, however, stopped himself there. "I'm just very frustrated of the world we're living in," he said. "I do things to prod people, to make them think or make them laugh. And I always get myself in trouble."

Dec 12, 2017
Seriously the OP article is so obviously designed to manipulate and garner outrage, condensing a page of thoughts to a single sentence twitterable soundbite. There's almost always a more nuanced discussion to be had if you think for a second. Here's the whole relevant quote:
And as far as Ruth Carter is concerned, that fuckhead should watch this video to see how she arrived at her choices for her academy award winning "african fabric patterns":

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The man was making Monty Python 50 years ago, that shit could still be considered progressive nowadays.
He's saying he doesn't like hero movies because they give people false ideas about humanity because superheroes are not humans or a representation of humans. He singles out Black Panther, he says it gives 'young black kids an idea that this is something to believe', the sentence comes after he saying that hero movies are bullshit, seems like he he's particularly preoccupied about minorities, in particular, being lead to believe things he believes to be bullshit, instead of real stuff. You might disagree about his opinion on hero movies, doesn't make him a racist, or an 'enemy' or whatever people are making him to be in this thread.

Like other people, I'm just calling out that he talks about Black Panther specifically. Also, I remember a comment where he called himself a black lesbian when showing some transphobic disdain. So even if you want say "Well he's technically not racist..." it's not exactly saying much.

someone mentions that Monty Python did blackface sketches.

Well, I guess I'm too late then...

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. You can argue armored rhinos and laser spears are the natural progression of an Africa that was isolated from the rest of the world.

But...that argument does fall a bit flat. It still revolves around the Macguffin of Vibranium, a fantasy metal that lets them progress beyond the rest of the world, thus instead of taking the modern conforms of guns and tanks, they're able to produce Laser Spears, City-wide shields, and Armored Rhinos.

Black Panther is fantastical and a modern fantasy. And that's fine. But it's also closer to Star Wars/Lord of the Rings than it is not.
How does one aim aim a laser spear? How does one grip a laser spear for long distance shooting? Vibranium doesn't just fix every logistic problem in the world. Like, are actually trying to talk around the idea that they did the spear rifles not because of wanting to use an African cliche, but because it's actually somehow feasible "because vibranium".....

Oct 27, 2017
Its not only successful because identity politics. Black panther is great a movie, but Identity politics was huge part of its success as well.
Representation is important. Of course people who are underrepresented in an industry that is systemically biased are going to be excited to see something that shows their stories and culture on screen in new and different ways.

I don't agree with classifying Black Panther's success as a cultural phenomenon being primarily due to "identity politics". The term does not fit here for me in the slightest and it's something people always attempt to use in discrediting and disparaging the critical acclaim it received on merit.
Neither he nor I have ever said that the movie was only successful because of identity politics. Thanks for putting words into both of our mouths.
You're the one stanning for a person suffering from an extreme case of white fragility, not me.

Also still supporting his wildly misguided claim about nobody involved with Black Panther having visited Africa. You do you.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
And now I see people defending him on Twitter going "but what about the real struggles in Africa."

Bruh, fuck outta here with your disingenous concern trolling.