• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Source

"I hated Black Panther. It makes me crazy. It gives young black kids the idea that this is something to believe in. Bullshit. It's utter bullshit. I think the people who made it have never been to Africa," he told the publication in the interview. "They went and got some stylist for some African pattern fabrics and things. But I just I hated that movie, partly because the media were going on about the importance of bullshit."

IndieWire asked the director if he believes Black Panther only received that much hype because of its commitment to "identity politics," Gilliam replied that "it makes my blood boil."

Stay pressed you old fuck. Stay pressed.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna make a shot in the dark call here, but who wants to bet that he has never been to africa either

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
How DARE those black kids enjoy a superhero movie!

Either way. Why do so many of these guys just seem to hate superhero movies? Like they're just for fun. Let people enjoy themselves

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Except Ruth Carter literally studied multiple African tribes for the designs.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I'm sure if there was a movie about an Indian superhero defending a secret Indian Utopia, we'd hear the same thing.

This post confuses me, are you being sincere or is this some backhanded way of implying Indians are somehow a protected minority? Or does this Terry fella just have an Indian obsession. I need context

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
What a miserable old bastard. The film makers were incredibly transparent about creating a fictionalised, afro-futuristic aesthetic to hang their summer blockbuster on. What is there to be angry about! Who else is playing in this space?

I can't imagine the sci-fi take on Norse mythology in Thor made his "blood boil". I wonder why?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Black Panther was awesome and Terry Gilliam is being ridiculous. There's no question that Black Panther has driven interest and awareness in real African cultures; it's a great jumping-off point for kids or anyone, really.

If I were to criticize Black Panther it would be the way the basic concept of Wakanda/Black Panther is deeply rooted in some weird colonialist fantasies and tropes about Africa, specifically King Solomon's Mines. The original comic was written by some white guys in the 60s (70s?), after all, and one of the biggest hit movies when those guys were kids was King Solomon's mines. But again, the movie has undoubtedly driven more people to learn more about African cultures than any other cultural product of the last 25 years.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I clicked on thus expecting him to have a reason, and after reading that I still don't know what it is. What specifically is making him so mad? (Other than the obvious...)

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Jesus based on the quotes on the OP I thought this guy was gonna be a jaded older black man.

sir, please sit down

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Strange how these sorts of thoughts never appear for any other fantasy property.

Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther still living rent free in so many heads almost 2 years after it came out.

Especially in the heads of CBM and MCU fans who still hate the fact it's considered one of, if not the best films, the franchise has to offer.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I clicked on thus expecting him to have a reason, and after reading that I still don't know what it is. What specifically is making him so mad? (Other than the obvious...)
I...think he's mad at some sort of perceived romanticized version of Africa which he thinks is meant to keep black kids ignorant over what he thinks is a troubled area

Maybe. I dunno.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So the topic at hand is just his blindspot? Makes things even more baffling.
We would know if interviewers actually asked what he meant. Is he complaining about a modern strong African nation existing? Is he complaining about a strong modern African nation using rhinos as transport and spears as weapons? The only thing the article learn us is he doesn't like Marvel. But he is an old movie director, so of course he doesn't like Marvel.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Why single out the one Marvel movie with a black lead? Would he say the same thing about Captain America, Ironman, Spiderman etc. and white kids? It's a movie dude, it's not inspiring anyone to want to become a super hero.

Oct 28, 2017
As an Eritrean, I wasn't a fan of it either. I think the strongest parts of the movie was Killmonger's perspective of how Wakanda abandoned other Africans and valued secrecy and paranoia over the common good.

I get that lots of the material comes from the comics, but maybe two white guys from the 70s aren't the best source for representing a diverse set of African cultures.

Frankly, things like the spears shooting projectiles, dragonfly shape vehicles and armored rhinos just seemed like the movie didn't know how to represent Africa without some of the most cliche themes. It's like they knew the culturally relevant aspects of African cultures before colonialism and just said "let's just say none of this changes at all". But that's silly to assume things like "oh an African nation not influenced by colonialism would surely take their existing basic spears and decide they should make it shoot projectiles. Let them represent their culture in more practical ways.

same thing with the shitty government system. Why the hell is this shitty monarchy existing with a stupid tradition of combat? I don't like hearing "oh it's just done out of simple respect to the tradition, because they exercise that tradition twice.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So white kids can believe in white super hero kicking ass and destroying stuff IN THE NAME OF MURICA, but black kids cannot believe in African hero fighting for their homeland?

okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Oct 27, 2017
What a weird take...

Like I feel there's a point in there somewhere, but its packaged in such a weirdly problematic way. Like please explain why black kids looking up to this is "bullshit!" Because if you don't explain it, people are going to assume you think black kids striving for general excellence is what you're calling "bullshit."

This. Like dude, please explain yourself, cause it sounds really bad.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was possible but we've gone so full circle that Black Panther feels underrated now.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
He's never heard of aspirational movies I guess. There are a lot of movies about how terrible the situation in Africa is.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure what his complaint is exactly?

Is it that this fictional country is, indeed, not real?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Old white fart is a racist fuck and thinks he knows what's good for blacks more than actual black people?

SHOCKING...

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an Eritrean, I wasn't a fan of it either. I think the strongest parts of the movie was Killmonger's perspective of how Wakanda abandoned other Africans and valued secrecy and paranoia over the common good.

I get that lots of the material comes from the comics, but maybe two white guys from the 70s aren't the best source for representing a diverse set of African cultures.

Frankly, things like the spears shooting projectiles, dragonfly shape vehicles and armored rhinos just seemed like the movie didn't know how to represent Africa without some of the most cliche themes. It's like they knew the culturally relevant aspects of African cultures before colonialism and just said "let's just say none of this changes at all". But that's silly to assume things like "oh an African nation not influenced by colonialism would surely take their existing basic spears and decide they should make it shoot projectiles. Let them represent their culture in more practical ways.

same thing with the shitty government system. Why the hell is this shitty monarchy existing with a stupid tradition of combat? I don't like hearing "oh it's just done out of simple respect to the tradition, because they exercise that tradition twice.

I work with a nigerian guy that hates the movie for similar reasons.