• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote was one of my favorite movies from last year. It had some interesting things to say about dignity and capitalism. That said, there was also some problematic shit, shit that I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt because the rest of the message seemed solid.

Then his shit comments keep coming out and you realize the problematic elements of his films probably aren't oversights or accidents. Fucking hell Terry, why you gotta insist on proving to the world you are a piece of shit and tarnishing your legacy? :/

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
tout-Terry-Gilliam-Harvey-Weinstein-e1521548993292.jpg

Hes human trash and hangs out with similar others.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it a bigger problem that men are refusing to take responsibility for abusing women, and abusing their power? "No. When you have power, you don't take responsibility for abusing others. You enjoy the power. That's the way it works in reality."

Jesus dude...

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Man this interview and the prior takes he's had are pretty distressing. I love his art and films and Monty Python so it's been difficult seeing someone I would consider myself a "fan" of take such a hardline stance.

I've long since said that with age comes ignorance and I'm not wrong.

Nov 21, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory false equivalence surrounding concerns of bigotry
Worst Python keeps being shit. I'm so fucking sick of old has-been pieces of shit complaining about how offended people get, and how things were better back in the day. If you can't evolve along with society and adjust your craft to the changes maybe you should just go extinct, you fucking hacks.

From what I remember he's been critical of the EU and wanted the UK to leave, but not in the Brexit way, for those reasons or on those terms. Which is fair enough, I think.

EDIT: Ooof, scratch what I said about Cleese. I had totally managed to forget his bullshit about London and the rest.

The way I see it, your tone ( of vitriol ) is just as despicable as the old bigotist hacks being stuck in the past. Why is your hatred more acceptable than theirs? Hate is still hate.

I am not defending Gilliam, but that is just basic psychology on display. You know, the older we get, the harder it is to digest new attitudes and ways of thinking..

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Maybe white men should stop being responsible for everything wrong with the world then.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I've long since said that with age comes ignorance and I'm not wrong.

It's a baby-boomer thing. The Gen-Xers and Millennials who are pushing up to their 40s-50s aren't turning around and doing this shit. You don't see Dave Grohl and Thom Yorke making a switch to the alt-right.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
There's no shortage of arseholes from other countries, sexes and races, but it's best to deal with your own shit if it needs cleaning up, not whine about it.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't necessarily think that everyone that has a smiley picture with Weinstein is automatically a garbage human being, but it's interesting seeing this picture and Gilliam's quote in back-to-back posts...

"Gilliam also claimed that some of the women didn't actually suffer, but used Weinstein to further their careers, and that he knew women who walked out of meetings with the mogul before getting sexually abused."

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I can only assume he's done stuff in the past that hasn't come out yet, and he's doing preemptive damage control to cover himself.

There is no other reason to spew all this bullshit like he is.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am shocked that a rich, successful, older white man cannot see his own privilege and thinks we should stop blaming white men for all of the bad things in the world. Shocked I tell you.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's a baby-boomer thing. The Gen-Xers and Millennials who are pushing up to their 40s-50s aren't turning around and doing this shit. You don't see Dave Grohl and Thom Yorke making a switch to the alt-right.

Yeah. Boomers have this "we're taking it with us" mentality which is pathetic.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
People sure do get offended easily these days. Wonder if they actually are, or you just see it more clearly because offended people can make their voice heard on the internet.

Shame about this interview. Now people will hate him despite his work being some of the best comedy of last century, getting offended and all..
It will be ok. White guys will still never know what systemic racism and bigotry feels like.

Ever..

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well that's about as clear cut as it gets. I didn't want to believe, but it can't be denied anymore.

You're going to use your platform and integrity for *this* Terry? There's going to be no effort required on my part to consign your work to the trash now.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The way I see it, your tone ( of vitriol ) is just as despicable as the old bigotist hacks being stuck in the past. Why is your hatred more acceptable than theirs? Hate is still hate.

I am not defending Gilliam, but that is just basic psychology on display. You know, the older we get, the harder it is to digest new attitudes and ways of thinking..

Are you shitting me? Both sidesing and tone policing just to defend some old jackass?

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's about as clear cut as it gets. I didn't want to believe, but it can't be denied anymore.

You're going to use your platform and integrity for *this* Terry? There's going to be no effort required on my part to consign your work to the trash now.
I wish I had the same resolve, but some of his movies mean a lot to me. It'll be hard to watch them again and feel the same joy though...

Goddamnit Terry you disgusting prick

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
So Gilliam doesn't give a shit about women's rights, MeToo and gender identification, but is anti-brexit and usually very anti-establishment.
Cleese is very anti-Trump, very anti-News Corp and British Tabloid Press, but pro-Brexit.

My head is spinning.

Oct 25, 2017
So Gilliam doesn't give a shit about women's rights, MeToo and gender identification, but is anti-brexit and usually very anti-establishment.
Cleese is very anti-Trump, very anti-News Corp and British Tabloid Press, but pro-Brexit.

My head is spinning.
Yesterday's revolutionary is tomorrow's reactionary, I guess.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
He seriously went full "Buying a career with sexual favours is a legitimate business transaction" huh

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

What a load of bollocks.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck sake Terry.

People got offended at Python for the wrong reasons. We know, it was stupid at the time and it was stupid now.

People get offended at racism, sexism and the fact that old white men control the wealth, levers of power and hold societal influence beyond their deserving.

That is legitimate.

Learn the difference.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hatsune Miku made some of the best surreal comedies of all time. Loved Baron Munchausen. Fuck this cunt tho, whoever he is.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017

Imma just drop this here

uedawtfzqbgz.jpg

hjort

Nov 9, 2017

I bet you're the type of guy who says that anti-fascists are as bad as fascists.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
People sure do get offended easily these days. Wonder if they actually are, or you just see it more clearly because offended people can make their voice heard on the internet.

Shame about this interview. Now people will hate him despite his work being some of the best comedy of last century, getting offended and all..

Peraonally I'm offended at how utterly pedestrian this take is.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I really like some of this guy's films but he is out of touch and out of his depth here. He is entitled to his views, but they are archaic and I doubt Most people under the age of 40 -Maybe even 50- know who this guy is.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

My head is spinning.

Yesterday's revolutionary is tomorrow's reactionary, I guess.

This is especially gets me about Gilliam being such a dickhead. They made sketches where they mocked McCarthyism, homophobia, racism in American media and so on, but I guess that's not enough to save you from being the old guy who defends every awful institution.