• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What a damn shame. Hopefully someone can get through to him.

zektbach

Oct 28, 2017
Person: "My mother raised me by herself"
Terry: "You are malnourished"
Person: "My father died before I was born"
Terry: "... I can't have a baby!!!"

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Yeah - and the sad thing is people rarely care when transphobia happens. The amount of threads made for when celebrities are blatantly homophobic are way higher than the amount of threads for transphobia (and let me tell you - those incidents are pretty damn frequent, especially in the UK and US). I'm seeing people on twitter that leftists respect casually supporting transphobic comedians, politicians, and writers and then they get snippy when they get called out on it. Barely anyone here even talks about the military ban any more. It feels so lovely being dehumanised! Transphobia is the most/only acceptable hatred for a lot of people, and that sucks.
Trans people get very little support on this site of the issue isn't about something political (i.e. the Trump admin trying to ban trans service members).

Oct 25, 2017
He's a black dude who grew up in flint and his father was an alcoholic who was abusive to him and his mom. She practically raised him by herself. He also grew up seeing a lot of kids that look like him in similar single parent households struggle just the same as he. He was also probably reminded of this in the media he consumed growing. He probably told himself that he's not gonna be like his father when he has children and he'll be there for him. Of course a man like that would think father hood is important.

That said him throwing Same sex parents under the bus like that is wack as fuck
Another way to look at it: his takeaway could have been that good parenting, full stop, is important.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not agreeing with him but I grew up without a father and I'm sure it had an affect on me one way or another, for better or worse I'll never know.
I mean, there's an argument to be made about it being important for a child to have both good female and male role models, but that doesn't mean they have to be parental figures.

If Terry is out here making transphobic remarks too then that's pretty disappointing. You can only hope that he's able to shut up, listen, and reflect on what he's said

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love

Well, everything he lists as specifically something you only get from your father are things I associate with my mother, so I'm still going to say this is a top shelf bullshit take. Very disappointing from Terry.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth pointing out in the OP that this is how this whole ordeal started. Notice the date of FEBRUARY 24!

If anything that makes things worse.

That article is fine, and an essential part of the debate Obama is engaging in. Why does the fact that it was written by a woman change that?

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Disappointing, but as others have said he's got previously erroneous understandings. Hopefully this will be a learning experience and it does change his world views moving forward

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything that makes things worse.

That article is fine, and an essential part of the debate Obama is engaging in. Why does the fact that it was written by a woman change that?
He holds some very conservative gender essentialists views. He thinks that it's a mans job to teach a man how to be a man and women are inherently not suited for that task.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
There's not enough people out there who are as progressive as I'd like. While I don't agree with everything he says, I personally am not ready to cancel Crews just yet. He seems open minded enough to learn. Won't be anyone left to cancel sooner or later at this rate.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
FUUUUUCK, not you terry what the hell

I don't care about celebrities in general, but he was one of the only celebrity i genuinely enjoyed

That's so freaking dumb... your father give you your name? your inheritance? What is this shit? THe mother can give you exactly the same lmao

Hope he will change his views on this since he always seemed open minded

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
But is he wrong? I am not trying to defend any stance that is against same sex parenting, however I do feel it has to be acceptable to some degree to argue heterosexual parenting is more beneficial instead of shutting down any discussion whatsoever. What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love, and that difference allows a child to experience both sides of the same coin to eventually mature with a more complete outlook on the world, which is not something that can be said for same sex parents. I am wholly ignorant on the topic so correct me to whatever degree I need to be corrected on.

The point you're trying to make here can't be found amongst all the WAT

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
He's a black dude who grew up in flint and his father was an alcoholic who was abusive to him and his mom. She practically raised him by herself. He also grew up seeing a lot of kids that look like him in similar single parent households struggle just the same as he. He was also probably reminded of this in the media he consumed growing. He probably told himself that he's not gonna be like his father when he has children and he'll be there for him. Of course a man like that would think father hood is important.

That said him throwing Same sex parents under the bus like that is wack as fuck

Putting it this way, yeah I can see where he's coming from. He's not against the idea of same-sex parents. He's trying to say that as someone who practically only had one parent, he knows what's it like not having a father (or another parent), and that he'd rather not have other kids go through the same thing as he did and that they'd have both parents.

Poorly worded, but really, nothing to blow up over.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
He holds some very conservative gender essentialists views. He thinks that it's a mans job to teach a man how to be a man and women are inherently not suited for that task.
That's fucked up and I would've thought Terry of all people would know better.

We don't need the outdated concept of men being men, we need men to be good *people*. Women are more than capable of this. It's like saying father's can't raise their daughters properly. Both are offensive and wrong.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Putting it this way, yeah I can see where he's coming from. He's not against the idea of same-sex parents. He's trying to say that as someone who practically only had one parent, he knows what's it like not having a father (or another parent), and that he'd rather not have other kids go through the same thing as he did and that they'd have both parents.

Poorly worded, but really, nothing to blow up over.
I do think he has some conservative gender essentialists views which means he thinks that men are supposed to teach men how to be men and women aren't suited for that. He is shitting on same sex parenting with that framing

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no, those tweets are absolutely no good. And he doesn't seem to apologize for the content of them, but rather the wording or something, when it's the sentiment behind them that's the problem. Children do not need both a mother and father in their lives. That's a terrible take that's insulting to not only same-sex parents but also single-parent families and having just one patent or two parents of the same sex in no way, in absolutely no way leaves children "malnourished." There's no research to back that up and the whole idea in the first place is just garbage nonsense through and through that does no one any good.

And I'm not going to accept any "he misspoke" defense from him because he appears to havebeen very clear about what he meant over a series of tweets, and this was not just a one-off tweet but a genuine reflection of his mindset that he appeared to have doubled and tripled down on until he deleted them. Heard that same homophobic nonsense all the time during the gay marriage debate, from people willing to throw single-parent units under the bus if it meant dimping on gsy people as well, and not going to let Terry off the hook here because whatever in the world he meant by his comments it dies the exact same damage to those kind of families and let's those exact same kind if myths perpetuate, which is what I care about, the damage it does, intentional or otherwise. There's nothing lesser or lacking or malnourished about tgise families, nothing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Rationalizing homophobia and false equivalencies over a series of posts
I don't get why everything has to be a fight. If you don't agree with him, whatever. It's his opinion, maybe there's something to it, maybe there's not. It doesn't necessarily mean he's hateful or evil, he just sees the world differently from how you do. It should be possible to hold differing views on social issues without it turning into a war.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Only thing i agree with is that we can't exist without a mother and a father/biological female and biological male

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing i agree with is that we can't exist without a mother and a father/biological female and biological male
Which is something obvious that doesn't need explaining, and also has nothing to do with actual parenting. Anyone can produce a baby and then dump it. He's all over the place and it doesn't have any relevance to the several arguments he seems to be trying to make.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is awful and not the first time he's done this. He was trying to tell men the importance of being fathers but the moment that the people who were engaging him weren't fathers he shouldn't have been trying to push that narrative. He should have been sensitive to the realities that many of us have grown up with and acknowledged that while it is important for father's to stick around and be part of their children's lives that's not the only path to healthy adulthood. That malnourished line, even in the context of the food metaphor that was going on was pure garbage. He shouldn't have kept pressing it. Glad he apologized and I hope it was because someone finally got through to him how vile what he was saying truly was and not just damage control.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
his father was an alcoholic who was abusive to him and his mom. She practically raised him by herself. He also grew up seeing a lot of kids that look like him in similar single parent households struggle just the same as he. He was also probably reminded of this in the media he consumed growing. He probably told himself that he's not gonna be like his father when he has children and he'll be there for him. Of course a man like that would think father hood is important.
I don't quite follow the logic. I had a similar situation and my takeaway was more "men are trash" and that life would have been significantly easier with just one good parent instead of an additional bad one.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Very simple. I and many other LGBT individuals have the dream of having a
loving partner and starting our own loving family. For a straight person to come for people who only want to live and love in peace with a massive shit take of " Well you DO know that your child isn't going to be loved and nurtured as much as he would be in a traditional family" is absolutely infuriating to me. Also, a massive side-eye at the people in here not seeing the harm in those words or passing them off as " a different POV". Keep showing your asses.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a case where his wording was wrong to begin with (love is indeed not gendered, but he was probably trying to refer to paternal and maternal role modelling instead of love), but once people jumped on him he doubled down and it all led to this.

Pretty dumb comment, as many people have grown to be good human beings but were brought up in households where role modelling was terrible or non-existent.
I agree, he said it all wrong and unfortunately doubled down on the poor wording. But the general intent of female and male role models being a positive force for child rearing is not incorrect. However, there is no reason why the role model has to be a parent.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why everything has to be a fight. If you don't agree with him, whatever. It's his opinion, maybe there's something to it, maybe there's not. It doesn't necessarily mean he's hateful or evil, he just sees the world differently from how you do. It should be possible to hold differing views on social issues without it turning into a war.
He's a beloved public figure and his speech is hurting people that used to love him. All we want is too him to shut up for a second and listen to why he's opinion is causing damage, but instead he's doubling down on it and mocking people

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame. I really liked Terry and considering the amount of hate and nasty comments he's been getting over being sexually assaulted by a male you'd think he would have a bit of perspective and cool his shit.

He is free to believe whatever he wants to believe but the minute you start arguing people down who take offence or are hurt by some of his comments you are no better than the others who mock his sexual assault.

This is some Kanye-level stretching.

That's a yikes from me. He gets attacked for his shitty views and somehow now it's all about race?

DoctorBat

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
But is he wrong? I am not trying to defend any stance that is against same sex parenting, however I do feel it has to be acceptable to some degree to argue heterosexual parenting is more beneficial instead of shutting down any discussion whatsoever. What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love, and that difference allows a child to experience both sides of the same coin to eventually mature with a more complete outlook on the world, which is not something that can be said for same sex parents. I am wholly ignorant on the topic so correct me to whatever degree I need to be corrected on.

There's a bulk of evidence that shows children raised in same-sex families face no worse outcomes than children with mixed-sex parents. Some have even found it more beneficial. Unlike some of my friends, I was wanted from the start and had to be fought for as a direct result of views like yours.

The suggestion that we don't have a 'more complete outlook' because we were raised by two men or two women is just homophobia and deeply offensive, to be honest. It's not accurate.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite follow the logic. I had a similar situation and my takeaway was more "men are trash" and that life would have been significantly easier with just one good parent instead of an additional bad one.
I grew up without a father period. I don't even know what this nigga look like or what his name is. I made a promise to myself that if I have children imma be in their lives no matter what

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Very disappointing.

Ofcourse even putting homophobia aside there's so many single parents in the world that the notion a child might be missing out should be cast our the fucking window.

And that's before getting into the mountain of evidence.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get it.

Men need to call out men being problematic. Having a good male role model (or father figure) is an extension of that.

But you're fumbling your way through that sentiment through saying a bunch of other stupid shit and unnecessary doubling down.

Terry isn't dumb and has had a history of self improvement so I'd like to hope he can be educated on this aspect.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, obviously, I can't speak to Terry's childhood and how that affected him, and how he views himself in that context, and if he personally feels his own childhood was lacking in some fashion or another and that's what's informing these tweets, those are his personal feelings on the matter and he has every right to them. But at the same time, while I can't speak to his personal feelings, nor can he speak for anyone else. And using his personal childhood or whatever he's doing here to generalize his experience to other people that grew up in a single-parent/essentially a single-parent or same-sex parent environment is incredibly dangerous. He knows his own experience, but that's not the same as others, and while he personally might feel malnourished or whatever because of his experiences, and that's his right, generalizing that to others who come from similar backgrounds when they could easily have different takes and some or even most might disagree with that isn't fair and can only lead to bad things. Speaking for himself is fine. But he crossed the line into making assumptions of others and generalizing that to them, assuming that they must have the same mindsets as him, which isn't cool at all and doesn't help anything.