• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Actually, there's evidence that same sex parents are beneficial in teaching more progressive and thoughtful views on gender expression. Here.

I'm on mobile so I can't find it, but I also remember reading a study thar indicated same sex parents tend to 'slip into' more traditional gender dynamics with their kids.

I think it is important children have positive understandings and relationships with male, female and non-binary people in their lives. Same sex parents have nothing to do with that, and research has indicated there is no downside to a stable same sex led household and occasionally some upsides, or at least interesting differences.

I'm also not crazy about the implication that its every person's responsibility to have kids so they can raise them well but that's a slightly different conversation.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of the right wing posters replying to his tweets supporting him and complaining about all of the usual stuff is extremely telling.

Honestly what really gets me even beyond those gross opinions is that he's just being an asshole about this for absolutely no reason even though he's obviously aware people are hurt.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
To me it seems he is not saying that same sex/single parents can't raise a healthy child. I interpreted him saying that children benefit from having a positive male role model in their lives, not saying that a shitty father is better than having same sex parents or even the absence of a father. I had a shitty father but was lucky enough to have a great brother-in-law as a role model. I have a trans son who I've raised by myself as a single dad but he has aunts and cousins who have been good female role models as well. Maybe I am misinterpreting what he is saying, i could be wrong.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Terry Crews needs to take a step back. His head has become too big for his shoulders.

Can't believe in 2019 we are looking to bozo's like this for comments on serious complex issues anyway

Oct 25, 2017
Dude needs to do some learning. That's kinda hard when your reaction to being called out is to double down, unfortunately. If anything, that is the part that disappoints me the most.

I honestly don't mind people holding shitty views - it's their reaction to being challenged on them that shows the true nature of their character. Hopefully he'll come around once he's taken the time to actually reflect on this rather than instinctually biting back in a, dare I say it, pretty macho toxic manner.

Sep 14, 2018
I don't get why everything has to be a fight. If you don't agree with him, whatever. It's his opinion, maybe there's something to it, maybe there's not. It doesn't necessarily mean he's hateful or evil, he just sees the world differently from how you do. It should be possible to hold differing views on social issues without it turning into a war.

This kind of response is so predictable and dumb and dismissive. He's talking about same sex parenting and how it's bad, so to us it's literally about our lives not just a random internet argument. But since it doesn't directly impact or involve you "who cares, it's just an opinion".

How should I put it to someone like you, sometimes there's social issues where one side debates hypotheticals from a position of privilege, and the other side has to argue for our own fucking rights to people who think they know everything.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is it about twitter that makes literally everyone spout incredibly stupid shit at one point or another?

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Raised by a single mom... And now raising 2 girls as a single dad. I personally agree from my own personal experience that "ideally" having both paternal and maternal figures prolly works best, assuming both parents are able to fill those roles and aren't dealing with a bunch of issues of their own that arent spilling over causing more problems for the kids.

I know as a male figure I at times don't come off as caring about certain things to my girls. It's something I'm aware of and actively work to improve all the time. What I mean by that, lets say one of my girls gets hurt playing or doing something. If it's not bleeding or broken, I'm pretty quick to give them a kiss on the head and tell them they're fine and to walk it off.

On the flip side, I tend to see many single moms get all worked up if their kids start to cry or might have gotten hurt. Obviously this doesn't apply to every parent. Sometimes I think I'm to cold as a parent, but since I'm aware of that I've do try to be warmer, but I know my natural inclination is a bit rugged and rough at times.

My point being, that often but clearly not always a mother and father bring different strengths and weaknesses when raising a child.

Some of those differences maybe related to historical gender roles, while some maybe related to certain psychological differences that just come from being or growing up a guy or girl. Again, I know this doesn't apply across the board but I'm taking primarily in the broader context.

On a side note...

Btw Isn't there actual data on the nuclear family for either direction? This seems like something that has had to have been researched heavily.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
User Banned (3 Weeks): Antagonising other members, dismissing concerns surrounding homophobia, previous severe infractions.
Oh good so we're now in the phase of ignoring all the good a person has done because we disagree with one of their viewpoints and now need to destroy their career.

Left fights itself once again, purity test, etc.

It's OK to disagree with people without making them an enemy, Terry is a very vocal proud father and does a lot for his kids, of course he disagrees with articles stating that fathers are unneeded, etc.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This kind of response is so predictable and dumb and dismissive. He's talking about same sex parenting and how it's bad, so to us it's literally about our lives not just a random internet argument. But since it doesn't directly impact or involve you "who cares, it's just an opinion".

How should I put it to someone like you, sometimes there's social issues where one side debates hypotheticals from a position of privilege, and the other side has to argue for our own fucking rights to people who think they know everything.

I was raised by a single parent, so he's also talking about me. It's not an attack, it's his opinion. You don't need to argue for your rights, he's not trying to take them away or talk about them at all. In his opinion, a nuclear family is the best model - so what?

As someone raised by a single mother and now I'm a father myself, I think a two parent family is much better than a single parent family. But by having this opinion, it's not like I'm attacking the single parents.

The world and conversation doesn't need to be a fight the whole time.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's not an attack, it's his opinion. You don't need to argue for your rights, he's not trying to take them away or talk about them at all. In his opinion, a nuclear family is the best model - so what?

Yeah, it's not like other people who share his opinion use said opinion to try to legally stop gay couples from being able to adopt or anything like that, hey. All just opinions, kumbaya

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
But is he wrong? I am not trying to defend any stance that is against same sex parenting, however I do feel it has to be acceptable to some degree to argue heterosexual parenting is more beneficial instead of shutting down any discussion whatsoever. What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love, and that difference allows a child to experience both sides of the same coin to eventually mature with a more complete outlook on the world, which is not something that can be said for same sex parents. I am wholly ignorant on the topic so correct me to whatever degree I need to be corrected on.
Children just need love and guidance. It doesn't matter what "gender" it is because differences between individuals will always be bigger than differences based on gender. Every mother is not the same.

That love & guidance can come from a father and a mother, a mother and a mother, a father and a father, only a father and only a mother. The only reason why single parenthood is "worse" is not because children don't get "both sides of the coin" but usually because society is total & utter crap at helping single parents. It's not that a single parent's love & parenting isn't enough per se, it's that when they have to shoulder all that responsibility alone, it can get to be a bit much if you don't have a good support system around you (i.e. grandparents or siblings or other close people who actively participate in taking off some of the load from just a single person).

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good so we're now in the phase of ignoring all the good a person has done because we disagree with one of their viewpoints and now need to destroy their career.

It's OK to disagree with people without making them an enemy, Terry is a very vocal proud father and does a lot for his kids, of course he disagrees with articles stating that fathers are unneeded, etc.

Could you point to the people that says we should ignore the positive things he's done, or try to destroy his career?

Like, I skimmed through the thread quickly, and didn't see a single person something to that affect. Most are just expressing their completely valid frustration/disagreement with what he's saying

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Oh good, another one...

If that's his opinion, then so be it, but he should keep it to himself.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Could you point to the people that says we should ignore the positive things he's done, or try to destroy his career?

Like, I skimmed through the thread quickly, and didn't see a single person something to that affect. Most are just expressing their completely valid frustration/disagreement with what he's saying
Literally the post above you.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Dude needs to do some learning. That's kinda hard when your reaction to being called out is to double down, unfortunately. If anything, that is the part that disappoints me the most.

I honestly don't mind people holding shitty views - it's their reaction to being challenged on them that shows the true nature of their character. Hopefully he'll come around once he's taken the time to actually reflect on this rather than instinctually biting back in a, dare I say it, pretty macho toxic manner.
I think getting defensive is a pretty normal reaction when people push back hard. I know I have in the past with some shitty views of my own. Challenging someones beliefs can feel like an attack against you as a person when its not. Letting go of something you feel is right isn't always easy at first, or obvious when you are wrong. When the dust settles is when a lot of people are able to gather their thoughts and do a little introspection.

I at least hope this is true in his case.

As someone who has dealt with abuse and discrimination in the past, I would hope that he can empathize and see more clearly after giving it some thought about this whole thing.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sep 14, 2018
I was raised by a single parent, so he's also talking about me. It's not an attack, it's his opinion. You don't need to argue for your rights, he's not trying to take them away or talk about them at all.

I didn't say he was trying to take them away or talk about them, I was replying specifically to this little gem:

It should be possible to hold differing views on social issues without it turning into a war.

Sometimes it's not just "different views". Don't feel bad about not getting this, you're just another clueless straight person. It would take putting yourself in someone else's shoes but that's too much to expect.

In his opinion, a nuclear family is the best model - so what?

So he's being criticized for this opinion, as per the OP. What's the problem with that? Can he not be criticized for publicly calling same sex parenting "severely malnourishing" or whatever that was?

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I was raised by a single parent, so he's also talking about me. It's not an attack, it's his opinion. You don't need to argue for your rights, he's not trying to take them away or talk about them at all. In his opinion, a nuclear family is the best model - so what?

As someone raised by a single mother and now I'm a father myself, I think a two parent family is much better than a single parent family. But by having this opinion, it's not like I'm attacking the single parents.

People have literally using these exact same arguments to take away my rights to parent a child for decades, so swing and a miss on that one bud.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

What the heck are you talking about?

This is the exact argument used to take away the rights of gay couples.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another part of this that disappoints me that is a way more minor but nonetheless still has meaning to me personally is I'm someone who has never really had a role-model or idol or "hero" as such of any sort, either now or as a child. And that's one of the things that bugged me as a kid like when at the start of a new school-year they did those "learn a bit about your classmates" questionnaires and stuff, when the question of "who's your biggest hero" or "who's your biggest role-model" came up, I was never sure who to put because even as a kid I just never really viewed the world that way and nothing in particular came to mind, so I had to keep those kind of questions blank. And yet I think of myself as a well-balanced enough human being. And I think part of this is due to how, while I wouldn't have been able to express this in this kind of way as a child, but I guess nonetheless on some level even as a kid I always knew that nobody's perfect, that we all just human beings with our own strengths and weaknesses and so it doesn't make sense to really elevate anyone to that level to begin with, no matter how good or amazing they might seem. No one should be put on a pedestal, and I believe me viewing the world that way has lead to a balanced approach and helped me avoid concepts like idol-worship or becoming too attached to anyone that I just embarrassingly defend them no matter what, or stuff like that, and in that regard, I wouldn't want to be any other way.

So just based on my own experiences, it's way more a minor thing, but the idea that we need any kind of role models at all and can't just strive to be great people even if we don't have any particular role models, of either gender, is also something that bugs me a bit because that's just so contrary to my own experience and feels like it's just kind of erasing it, even if Crews doesn't intend to do that, as he obviously doesn't know that I exist at all in the first place. But nonetheless I do, I wouldn't say that applies to me at all, and I personally would feel I turned out alright and wouldn't consider myself malnourished or anything of the sort, not in that kinda way at least. I don't have any particular role models (no, not even my own parents, despite having two wonderful loving ones, despite their best intentions they clearly had no idea quite what to do with someone as extremely shy and quite and introverted and anxious like me and that caused them all kinds of distress despite wanting the best for me, their answer was to not push me in any particular regards and I kinda just had to figure a lot of stuff out on my own, and I feel that worked fine in the end and don't blame them or anything, it just kinda is what is is and that's another component of how even in regards to them I'm able to have as close to a balanced view as possible and realize they're just two people doing their best, with strengths and weaknesses, strong points and flaws as with everyone else and that too made me part of who I am and if I had my way I wouldn't want to be anyone else or be any different from how I am in those kinda regards) and just kinda figured stuff out on my own through interactions with a bunch of different kinds of people, and I don't consider myself lacking in that kinda way at all and don't feel I particularly need those exact type of connections and am malnourished because of it or anything.

So that's more of a minor thing, but is nonetheless another reason why the whole thing feels off to me, personally.

Can we stop with the phrase "purity test" stuff though? It's okay to disagree people without throwing that word around, which only serves to imply they're being disingenuous on some grounds or another and adds nothing to the discussion, and can only heighten tensions on both sides. I hate that phrase so much, because even if it's not meant that way, it just comes off as so so dismissive, and serves to imply that it's NOT okay to disagree, that what the people making the "purity tests" are saying doesn't matter and hence why it can just be brushed off so easily in the first place.

Disagreeing is one thing, but we can do it without that term, that adds nothing to the discussion and I wish, god I wish would just go away or disappear back into whatever hole that particular phrase crawled out of to begin with, but I'm nowhere near optimistic enough to believe will actually happen.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Love is love. I guarantee you that any child who is validated and nurtured by their parent(s) as they grow up will have everything they need to become a well-adjusted adult.

Paternal and maternal figures do not have to originate from the home. To insist that they must is to cling to an outmoded prescriptive view of gender that simply doesn't reflect reality. We don't live in a perfect world where people match the molds and types we like to imagine when we categorize things in the abstract.

Just because you have a cookie cutter mommy and daddy doesn't mean either of them will automatically serve as strong male or nurturing female influences. If Daddy has rage issues or Mommy is an alcoholic, their traditional gendered-oriented qualities aren't going to shape their influence on you anywhere near as much as their dysfunction will.

What qualifies someone to be a good parent is not the maleness or femaleness they bring to the table in conjunction with their partner, but their patience, insight, empathy, life experience, and unconditional acceptance. All a child truly needs to thrive is at least one good human their corner.

Last edited:

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I want to add something. I think 2 same sex parents or a single parent can do an equal or better job than many nuclear families. And I think Terry probably believes that to. Because in truth the individual makeup of the parents trumps all. However I think he's taking about giving most kids the best odds of having a balanced upbringing.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Having followed this whole thing as its happened over the last few days, its been bloody weird to watch.

Like he sometimes starts to have a decent point shine through, generally the idea that any kid needs good maternal and paternal role models in their development.
But then he immediately derails into some just fucking dumb shit thats worded even worse.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
But is he wrong? I am not trying to defend any stance that is against same sex parenting, however I do feel it has to be acceptable to some degree to argue heterosexual parenting is more beneficial instead of shutting down any discussion whatsoever. What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love, and that difference allows a child to experience both sides of the same coin to eventually mature with a more complete outlook on the world, which is not something that can be said for same sex parents. I am wholly ignorant on the topic so correct me to whatever degree I need to be corrected on.

Depends. This thread prompted me to search stats on fatherlessness, and it's pretty stark. Lot's of behavioral and emotional issues in kids that are raised in mother-only households.

BUUUUUT...they only looked at mother-only homes and didn't mention same sex parents at all. But fatherlessness affects hispanic and black families at almost twice the rate of white families.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Depends. This thread prompted me to search stats on fatherlessness, and it's pretty stark. Lot's of behavioral and emotional issues in kids that are raised in mother-only households.

BUUUUUT...they only looked at mother-only homes and didn't mention same sex parents at all. But fatherlessness affects hispanic and black families at almost twice the rate of white families.
He probably would have got his point across much better if he didn't single out same sex couples.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Can we stop with the phrase "purity test" stuff though? It's okay to disagree people without throwing that word around, which only serves to imply they're being disingenuous on some grounds or another and adds nothing to the discussion, and can only heighten tensions on both sides. I hate that phrase so much, because even if it's not meant that way, it just comes off as so so dismissive, and serves to imply that it's NOT okay to disagree, that what the people making the "purity tests" are saying doesn't matter and hence why it can just be brushed off so easily in the first place.

Disagreeing is one thing, but we can do it without that term, that adds nothing to the discussion and I wish, god I wish would just go away or disappear back into whatever hole that particular phrase crawled out of to begin with, but I'm nowhere near optimistic enough to believe will actually happen.
Can we disagree with people and some of their views WITHOUT resorting to buzzwords like cancel and aiming to destroy their career? I wonder how many white people are actually the ones pushing this narrative now that they have some dirt on one of the most prominent black men in Hollywood.

GekkoPolo

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
New Jersey
User Banned (Permanent): Homophobia. Account in junior phase.
Yes cause black people wouldn't know anything about that right? I've noticed anyone who is remotely pro-lgbtq has said nearly every insult short of using the N word to Terry but he's hurting them right?
This is an alternative-medicine-levels take.
We've had mothers and fathers for most human history and now this an "alternative take"? Good know in a couple of years it's bacially going to be that episode of rick and morty with the Gazorpazorp.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Can't it be enough for people to politely disagree with the guy and explain why they think he's wrong instead of demonising him and gatekeeping everything? I don't think it's helpful to come out with pitch forks every time someone raises an opinion that isn't on the allowed list. All it does is further radicalise both sides.

Like, I disagree with what he said as I believe a child can be raised with same sex parents just as well, but is he not entitled to his opinion? You change people's minds by informing them, not bullying them into deleting a tweet.

Sep 14, 2018
Yes cause black people wouldn't know anything about that right? I've noticed anyone who is remotely pro-lgbtq has said nearly every insult short of using the N word to Terry but he's hurting them right?

I wasn't talking about Terry then, what is it with people's reading skills today? I was slapping down the carefree "it's all opinions y'all" attitude of the "why can't we all get along" user.

He literally said same sex parenting is "severely malnourishing" and then deleted the tweet, that is what he is being rightfully criticized for. Feel free to tell me how it's "his opinion!!1!!"

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
What a disgusting series of tweets... 2019 is ridiculous and it is only the beginning of March :(

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Can't it be enough for people to politely disagree with the guy and explain why they think he's wrong instead of demonising him and gatekeeping everything? I don't think it's helpful to come out with pitch forks every time someone raises an opinion that isn't on the allowed list. All it does is further radicalise both sides.

Like, I disagree with what he said as I believe a child can be raised with same sex parents just as well, but is he not entitled to his opinion? You change people's minds by informing them, not bullying them into deleting a tweet.
I could if this was the only dumb shit he's done lately. But his blatant transphobia and this makes me genuinely question where he actually stands on LGBTQ issues.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is just PC culture gone mad. I can't believe anyone would attack Terry for sharing an opinion that's been used to constantly attack LGBTQ people and try and take away their rights to adopt children.

/s if it wasn't obvious.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Man this tweet is really shitty. Imagine thinking he only talked about his sexual assault for personal gain...

He has reiterated a number of times that he believes that same-sex couples can successfully raise children.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Wtf. What happened for him to do such a 180 with these shitty tweets?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crews has always been pretty open about his view on the need for positive male role-models, especially in context of sexism/me-too and toxic masculinity.

I think it's pretty clear he doesn't think same-sex parents can't raise a kid or something, that would fly in the face of years of what he has said openly when talking about social issues.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This smells like Christian-religious influenced pseudo-science bullshit to justify nuclear family's priority. Fuck this phobic shit.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. What happened for him to do such a 180 with these shitty tweets?

I think it's because initially he was directing his words at men who might skip out on being fathers to their children. I legit think he didn't initially understand why he was getting pushback at first.

But there's no defending that malnourished tweet. People are saying he has voiced support for same sex parents in the past and for his sake I hope that's true because he needs to be pulling those receipts right about now.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
It honestly saddened me seeing this yesterday, was one of the few people I thought was a good role model.