• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the over/under on a Terry Amibo?

All Smash characters get amiibo so it is just a matter of time until Terry does.

I'm not sure if they've finished announcing all the new amiibo for the base roster so it might be a little while. We still have the Belmonts, Dark Samus, Chrom, and Incineroar waiting to be released outside of the three coming on the 20th. (and I might be forgetting someone from the base roster)

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Of course! It's a far, far possibility, but it would be great! (I would be happy if he makes it into KOFXV, to be honest!)
I was surprised to hear they got Takehito Koyasu (Dio!) for that KOF for Girls game. That gives me hope! But yeah IF we got Kyo somehow, Shingo would be a perfect echo of him. I still think Iori could work too since their moves were quite similar in the beginning. But Kyo and Shingo would practically be a Roy and Marth thing.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
And Nintendo just so happened to only pick franchises that Sakurai has a strong personal affinity for?

We dont know the extent to which Nintendo was involved in the selection process. For all we know, they gave him a massive list and let Sakurai go nuts.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
And Nintendo just so happened to only pick franchises that Sakurai has a strong personal affinity for?

We dont know the extent to which Nintendo was involved in the selection process. For all we know, they gave him a massive list and let Sakurai go nuts.
I mean we have to go off what he said. He said they picked, and he would decide if one or more that they picked would be possible to make.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised to hear they got Takehito Koyasu (Dio!) for that KOF for Girls game. That gives me hope! But yeah IF we got Kyo somehow, Shingo would be a perfect echo of him. I still think Iori could work too since their moves were quite similar in the beginning. But Kyo and Shingo would practically be a Roy and Marth thing.

Kyo should have two echos, Kyo-1 and Kyo-2.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well, either Nintendo picked or Sakurai is a liar.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I wish it had been Athena since the current DLC roster is such a sausage fest (other than Kazooie...), but it was always going to be Terry and I'm happy for Fatal Fury fans either way.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can the song Oh Angel please be in Smash now?
I goddamn hope so
--
I upscaled the Terry character image with an AI program and I gotta say it looks really cool. I wanted to upload the png but it's over 100MB so I just converted it jpeg instead.

QATUQSV.jpg

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

I mean we have to go off what he said. He said they picked, and he would decide if one or more that they picked would be possible to make.
Well, either Nintendo picked or Sakurai is a liar.

If Nintendo fully picked then they really tried to pick characters Sakurai would like to work on.

Currently the pass consists of:
  • The protagonist of one of his favorite games (so much so that it directly influenced Smash's UI)
  • The protagonists of one of Japan's biggest franchises
  • A protagonist duo that Sakurai's has openly stated he considered before they were bought out and has acknowledged their popularity since
  • The mascot of Street Fighter's former rival franchise, one that Sakurai has openly said influenced Smash's concept.

Like the only thing you can really point to corporate overstepping is the Luminary being the DQ face, and even then there's still Terry Bogard getting picked over Haohmaru, main protagonist of a franchise that just got relaunched and is about to get ported.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I srsly don't get how people are disappointed with this reveal.
SNK is one of the oldest and influential Japanese companies. It is obvious they were going to get a rep. Am glad Nintendo/Sakurai respect and celebrate gaming history with this title.

Just because SNK is not as big in US or Japan doesn't mean they shouldn't get a pick. In many regions people have fond memories of SNK titles and they were the biggest games there during the 90s and even now.

If Nintendo fully picked then they really tried to pick characters Sakurai would like to work on.

• The protagonist of one of his favorite games (so much so that it directly influenced Smash's UI)
  • A protagonist duo that Sakurai's has openly stated he considered before they were bought out and has acknowledged their popularity since
  • The mascot of Street Fighter's former rival franchise, one that Sakurai has openly said influenced Smash's concept.

Each of these characters also represent a legendary developer Atlus,Enix,Rare and now SNK. Sure not all of them might be as big now , but they all have a huge history.

If Ryu Hayabusa is the next character as some rumors have it then he would represent Tecmo and the NG franchise has strong ties with the NES titles.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People don't understand how amazing is to see Terry Bogard in Smash. For the best part of the decade, there were lots of rumors that SNK was going to stop developing games, so the idea of watching SNK characters on games of the caliber of Tekken or Soul Calibur was unbelievable, and to a game like smash was borderline impossible, like I always thought that Shrek, Garfield or Goku would be picked before an SNK character

So watching that trailer where Nintendo of all companies acknowledge the relevance of SNK was tear dropping, the idea of Terry fighting other gaming icons is too good to be true

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I goddamn hope so
--
I upscaled the Terry character image with an AI program and I gotta say it looks really cool. I wanted to upload the png but it's over 100MB so I just converted it jpeg instead.
This man's calves!

Also, AI is the future. Can't wait till companies start using it to re-release their classic pre-rendered background games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Like the only thing you can really point to corporate overstepping is the Luminary being the DQ face, and even then there's still Terry Bogard getting picked over Haohmaru, main protagonist of a franchise that just got relaunched and is about to get ported.
Terry is still the main and biggest face of snk, and it's easy to see nintendo wanting an snk rep in. Banjo, ballot and fan demand, and their relationship with microsoft. Dq, enough said. For joker, maybe nintendo preferred jack frost, but just wanted some atlus rep in general and sakurai asked for joker instead.
Easy answers to all.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think SEGA pushed for Joker more than Nintendo or Sakurai did. They have big, big plans for the Persona brand going forward. I would not be shocked if 2 or 3 other spinoffs of Persona 5 are planned for after Persona 5 Scramble launches.

Likewise stuff like that could be securing other deals outside of this particular game. Like how Bayonetta 2 is tied with stuff like the several exclusive Sonic titles, Hero Bank and possibly Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD For Wii U.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Who just downloaded Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 even though 20 Super NES games are coming out today?

This guy.

I'm an idiot.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Terry is still the main and biggest face of snk, and it's easy to see nintendo wanting an snk rep in. Banjo, ballot and fan demand, and their relationship with microsoft. Dq, enough said. For joker, maybe nintendo preferred jack frost, but just wanted some atlus rep in general and sakurai asked for joker instead.
Easy answers to all.
Why would Nintendo pick Banjo, a character from a dead IP, when they could have just as easily gone for Minecraft, an absolute juggernaut of an IP that is also on Switch?

If that's not an indication that Sakurai had a hand in picking the characters, I don't know what is. Why would Nintendo even bother picking the characters in the first place when their choices would just end up being what Sakurai would want anyway?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Nintendo pick Banjo, a character from a dead IP, when they could have just as easily gone for Minecraft, an absolute juggernaut of an IP that is also on Switch?

If that's not an indication that Sakurai had a hand in picking the characters, I don't know what is. Why would Nintendo even bother picking the characters in the first place when their choices would just end up being what Sakurai would want anyway?

There is such a thing as legacy/history and Fan demand. Why did they make such a big deal about Megaman ? A franchise that hasn't had a million seller since the early 90s.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

They picked the character that fans really wanted....hence they would buy....?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
There is such a thing as legacy/history and Fan demand. Why did they make such a big deal about Megaman ? A franchise that hasn't had a million seller since the early 90s.
Actually that bloody awful Battle Network 4 sold over a million and that was early 2000s? (or was it mid?). Plus a couple of the other BN games sold over 1mil if you take into account both versions. I'm still annoyed that of all MM games to sell 1mil+, its one of the worst in the series, BN1-3 and even 5 were fantastic, 4 was awful, yet that's the one that seemingly sold the most :(

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Actually that bloody awful Battle Network 4 sold over a million and that was early 2000s? (or was it mid?). Plus a couple of the other BN games sold over 1mil if you take into account both versions. I'm still annoyed that of all MM games to sell 1mil+, its one of the worst in the series, BN1-3 and even 5 were fantastic, 4 was awful, yet that's the one that seemingly sold the most :(

Ah yes you are right. The BN games never show up on Capcom charts because they were split up into so many SKUs.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Can the song Oh Angel please be in Smash now?

I feel like a lot of the anime stuff is off limits (as cool as Oh Angel) would be cool to hear. They completely replaced Lily with a new character Angela (I think) in the recent KOF Destiny series and the only time they've ever directly referenced the movie is I think Joe mentions Sulia by name in one of the Days of Memories games.

Speaking of music, I posted this on the other thread, might as well post it here too since things are still active.

I was just thinking of SNK music that could come with Terry and I just remembered a favorite, often overlooked track is The Startup Sound of Reminiscence. It's from King of Fighters Maximum Impact 2 for PS2 (released in the U.S. as King of Fighters 2006). It's a very Smash like remix of the Neo Geo startup chime

Speaking of Smash like, any fan here wanting to check out some good SNK games a look, this is definitely worth it if you can. I mean the original designs by SNK fanboy Falcoon and the kinda awkward 2D+3D hybrid gameplay makes this game a real black sheep among fans, but it also has a very Smash like level of love and content put into it.

Great, varied roster with a bunch of fan favorites. You even got playable Fio from Metal Slug.

Each character has a whopping 16 costumes to unlock that are full of style and fun "cameos".

It's very button masher friendly (probably the most casual friendly fighter they've ever made)

Totally bonkers modes like fighting against a steamroller and a Metal Slug tank!

Not sure how many people here would be interested, but check it out if you can.

Who just downloaded Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 even though 20 Super NES games are coming out today?

This guy.

I'm an idiot.

Hey that's a good pick. Real Bout Special is my personal fave but RB2 is good too.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This man's calves!

Also, AI is the future. Can't wait till companies start using it to re-release their classic pre-rendered background games.
This image took nearly the whole night last night (maybe cuz of my slow ass old computer) but I love Terry so it was worth every minute cuz it turned out great.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Tbh I am really curious if posters really liked seeing new characters they didn't know about in Smash games before Smash 4. Cause I have a couple of friends that said they loved seeing all these new characters from games they didn't know back in the brawl days. But when Nintendo does it to them with characters like Terry nowadays. They just get mad lol.

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
Will the rising tackle break Smash - Think about this attack for one minute....Also, what other character in smash have
a similar move.

In a 2d fighting game the rising tackle can hit you from the front, but on smash it will go both left and right.

Does smash have hot dogs?
I wonder if Terry will get a buff from eating that type of food.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
"SNK doesn't have a particularly large catalog to pull reps from" is the biggest load of bs i read all day. People really assume that if something wasn't huge in their country,it wasn't huge at all.

zsidane

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wahran, AKA Oran,DZ
I enjoyed and continue to enjoy SSBU but was never interested in any character announced so far, but Terry Bogard?
I will be paying for this for sure.

And that trailer was a 10.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Also,regarding music, i really wish '96 ost comes in full swing. It has one of the best ones.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Will the rising tackle break Smash - Think about this attack for one minute....Also, what other character in smash have
a similar move.

In a 2d fighting game the rising tackle can hit you from the front, but on smash it will go both left and right.

Does smash have hot dogs?
I wonder if Terry will get a buff from eating that type of food.

Bayonetta has an aerial drill kick too, on ultimate it is fine, maybe an terry sticker food buff for wol mode.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think SEGA pushed for Joker more than Nintendo or Sakurai did. They have big, big plans for the Persona brand going forward. I would not be shocked if 2 or 3 other spinoffs of Persona 5 are planned for after Persona 5 Scramble launches.

Likewise stuff like that could be securing other deals outside of this particular game. Like how Bayonetta 2 is tied with stuff like the several exclusive Sonic titles, Hero Bank and possibly Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD For Wii U.
Kiryu would be pretty damn cool.

I'd also consider him the first full "Sega" character since Sonic.

I know Joker and Bayonetta technically count but I still associate them more with Atlus and Platinum.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018

Also i dreamed about this since long ago, this has to be his victory screen theme. Its so cool.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Kiryu would be pretty damn cool.

I'd also consider him the first full "Sega" character since Sonic.

I know Joker and Bayonetta technically count but I still associate them more with Atlus and Platinum.
Honestly Bayonetta has way more SEGA-related references than Sonic does. Joker was created before Atlus became a first party SEGA studio, but the exposure of Persona 5 would be way, way different today than if SEGA had no involvement in the franchise. Hell, it might still be a PlayStation 3 exclusive haha.

Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza or Joe Musashi from Shinobi are my most wanted SEGA characters absolutely but this game SERIOUSLY lacks puzzle game reps so I think Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo (hopefully with a more Compile-style design) would be the absolute best next SEGA rep if they needed another. I would feel pretty bad for fans of Lip though I guess...