• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile...us Koei Tecmo fans waiting for our rep.

giphy.gif

One day... One day...

220px-Ryu_Hayabusa_DOA5.png

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I'm saying that I want first-party representation in the next one, but my fear is that it won't be the case. I'm the one pushing for more diversity, after all (which includes more from Nintendo's library).

Well that may end up being the case, but until we know that, let's generously assume Sakurai meant characters from worlds not previously in smash, whether that's 3rd or 1st party. There are quite a few 1st party series without playable representation in Smash. And spinoff games that take place in different worlds

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
There's only one problem for those waiting for a Garou alt. He fixes his hat as an idle animation. Does any alternate costume have unique animations that is not an echo?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well that may end up being the case, but until we know that, let's generously assume Sakurai meant characters from worlds not previously in smash, whether that's 3rd or 1st party. There are quite a few 1st party series without playable representation in Smash. And spinoff games that take place in different worlds
True, there's always ARMS & Astral Chain (though I'm worried that Sakurai may have written the former off entirely until the next game).

It can still focus on some new nintendo franchises. Rhythm heaven for one is the perfect example.
Agreed

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Man that trailer was perfection.

I'm not that into SNK, but I did play some Fatal Fury. Terry being in is great.

Smash continues to be a celebration of gaming

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Terry's Japanese VO trying desperately to speak English >>>>>>>>>

Wish Fox had stayed that way lol

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even notice he missed it when I first saw the trailer, so when Ryo popped up, I was expecting a Kyo/Ryo/Terry SNK protag KOF team, then Ryo missed and I realised what was happening XD.

I was like OH IT WAS KYO NOT TERRY! THEN THE LETTER FLEW OUT OF KYO'S HAND. I WAS LIKE OOOOOOOOH. The scene of Geese and Joe/Andy got me laughing right there.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edelgard.
or Steve. really, any character that is even a tiny bit interesting.
I cant imagine a more mundane arcade fighter than this Terry.
Do you even know the character?

How about you grow up and accept not every character will be for you? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean their "zero hype."

You can express disappointment without being so childish.

I fucking hate Sans but I'm not gonna throw a fit over the costume.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sincerely happy for those who like this dude, but this gets a texas-sized "meh" from me. I'm just glad they're doing more DLC characters passed the 5 originally announced.

So far the only one that's been exciting for me is Banjo. The more "human-looking" characters that join the smash roster, the more it sort of disappoints me, gotta say it. I just prefer the more cartoony characters and feel they suit the overall game better.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Just by morbid curiosity, who were you hoping for ?

I don't know who I was hoping for, but it wasn't Terry Bogard. I don't even hate the guy, but it's a rather weak crossover pick in my book as well.

On the "bright" side, it made a good opportunity to announce that more Smash DLC Characters were being planned I suppose.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm so happy for SNK fans, I've never played Fatal Fury but I remember Terry and can't wait to try him!

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I hadn't said it, but it was probably my favorite Smash trailer. Too bad the American Sports Team couldn't redeem themselves and get that invitation.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Were the other DLC announcements met with this much bitching and moaning?

Terry Bogard is a classic character from dozens of games over three decades from an, until now, unrepresented company with a lot of history in the industry.

It's unquestionably a great addition to the roster.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Out of the characters in that trailer I think I would've preferred the hawk-girl or falling-man, but the hat-Ken is fine.

This seems like a fine time to start learning all the KoF characters names and backstories.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Out of the characters in that trailer I think I would've preferred the hawk-girl or falling-man, but the hat-Ken is fine.

This seems like a fine time to start learning all the KoF characters names and backstories.

Hat-Ken is Terry Bogard, protagonist of the Fatal Fury series.
Falling-Man is Geese Howard the most famous antagonist from the series.
Hawk-Girl is trash, and from Samurai Shodown.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly I had no idea who Terry was since yesterday and I'm definitely not excited for him, but complaining about anything Smash Bros. related should be illegal as of this moment.
Serious right now they could release 5 different variations of Waluigi as Season 2 and I would be OK with it. I got everything I wanted.
I cannot ask for more. Also Terry looks cool.
Do whatever you want Sakurai, and thank you.
Thank you for everything. <3

"Well, I don't know how many newcomers I got left in this game. I'm gonna get real weird with it."

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its the next morning and I'm still flying high off the Terry reveal. He so belongs in this collection of legendary characters!

I hope in addition to my Mortal Kombat begging that we get the following:

-Master Chief (longshot, I know)
-Doom Slayer
-Kasumi (Dead or Alive)
-Kazuya (Tekken)
-Fulgore (Killer Instinct)

Holy shit can you imagine?

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Reading some impressions from casual players, I prefer the term "buff pokemon trainer" than "hat-ken".

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Ah yes, the iconic Nintendo character, "Steve"

I can't ever not roll my eyes when I see this bullshit. If we put aside the person you're replying to being hyperbolic over Terry, let's talk about Steve a sec: that character is the mascot/cover character of the number one best selling game of all time - 176 million copies. It also happens to be one of the top selling third-party titles on 3DS and Wii U, and is one of the best selling third-party titles on Switch, consistently hanging out high on the eshop charts.

Minecraft is a hundred times more iconic to ten year olds today than Banjo or Mega Man were in the 90s. Like, the argument that a character must be a strictly "Nintendo character" has long been out of the window now, so the question is really relevance to gaming as a whole and the broader audience, of which Minecraft has oodles of it... and a lot of success on Nintendo platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't ever not roll my eyes when I see this bullshit. If we put aside the person you're replying to being hyperbolic over Terry, let's talk about Steve a sec: that character is the mascot/cover character of the number one best selling game of all time - 176 million copies. It also happens to be one of the top selling third-party titles on 3DS and Wii U, and is one of the best selling third-party titles on Switch, consistently hanging out high on the eshop charts.

Minecraft is a hundred times more iconic to ten year olds today than Banjo or Mega Man were in the 90s. Like, the argument that a character must be a strictly "Nintendo character" has long been out of the window now, so the question is really relevance to gaming as a whole and the broader audience, of which Minecraft has oodles of it... and a lot of success on Nintendo platforms.
steve ugly tho

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

But the design is so ugly tho ;_;

I don't want to have to look at him on the CSS

EDIT:
My brethren

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like that Geese's most iconic moment is apparently falling to his death.

But he got in Tekken so he got something.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Steve sucks and is fuc*ing ugly though

Edit: dammit

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

The flip side of this is that given how Nintendo has been better than Sega and Capcom at capturing the 90s essence of their characters with Sonic and Mega Man, I'd be really interested to see how they made the Minecraft art and style mesh with the rest of Smash, tbh. I think it could be really interesting.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
the moment you go "waste of a slot" is the moment any valid point you might have had goes out the window.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

I was pointing out the irony of saying they wanted Steve when I need to ask "ok but which Steve".

I didn't even assume it was Minecraft Steve instead of that one Steve from Fire Emblem is my point lol. Steve could probably be an interesting Smash character anyways.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The flip side of this is that given how Nintendo has been better than Sega and Capcom at capturing the 90s essence of their characters with Sonic and Mega Man, I'd be really interested to see how they made the Minecraft art and style mesh with the rest of Smash, tbh. I think it could be really interesting.
3ea.png

HE'S IN