• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's glorious. November cannot come soon enough.
Neo-Geo throwback trailer was hilarious too.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So in terms of King of Fighter I'd probably go for 98, given the recommendations I got already, but what Fatal Fury would you guys recommend for someone with no experience?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
As much as it isn't the SNK I wanted, and I had to watch Nakoruru, Geese and Iori get jebaited hurt a little... BUT DAMN I AM HAPPY TERRY IS IN SMASH. The face of SNK deserved it. Another character with a strong legacy. And another character I will just buy an amiibo of because I like Terry.

Now I do actually hope we get Nakoruru.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I can't lie, I don't mind an SNK rep but I would've preferred someone else. At least the trailer was dope.

I kinda wanted Kazuya in Smash, but too many dudes in dlc

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hell no. Fatal Cutie is gross even for reasons beyond the general voyeurism of SNK Heroines.

Well, the dumbest parts of the design would certainly be censored anyway due to the ratings board (like the unbuttoned shorts and cleavage). Anyway, we're almost certainly getting Garou Terry rather than her although I'd really prefer female Terry just because it'd result in greater visual variation.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about "Kazooie is female" as somehow being an argument that there are female DLC reps already. People want female DLC fighters and the fact that there aren't any in the entire pass so far (not even among the Hero alts) is a major disappointment for a lot of people.

Oh I agree, I'm just seeing a lot of "Female Terry, there you go" is almost as bad as those "But Kazooie is Female, there you go" posts.

It's a good idea. It'd offer some gender variety and the character is from SNK's flagship fighter for the Switch. Not as a wholesale Terry replacement, but as a character alt like Robyn or Corrin.

If it were a solid design, like, closer to KoFXIV Alice or something I"d be okay with it, but it's just trash, through and through. I wasn't really big on Mai because the only thing she's got going is fanservice and her horny fanbase, but I think even she's more preferable.

So in terms of King of Fighter I'd probably go for 98, given the recommendations I got already, but what Fatal Fury would you guys recommend for someone with no experience?

Real Bout Special is my personal favorite. Easy to get into, really slick presentation. If you want that classic Terry vs Geese action, Real Bout FF (the predecessor) is good too. They're essentially updated remakes of the first two FF games. The mid 90s SNK games became much more noob friendly with it's controls while playing the older games (FF1,2,3,Special/KoF94-95/AoF 1 and 2) can feel super stiff and awkward to the point of frustration. Take it from me, I'm as casual as they come and the older games can be really rough.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd also recommend KOF2000. It's a real party altho not played competitively. Great character selection music and you can choose four characters. If you want an even bigger party, I'd recommend KOF2006. It's got tons of content to unlock and so much SNK fan service: character costumes that reference other SNK characters from multiple franchises and you can even play as a character from Metal Slug and another from Samurai Shodown.

As far as Fatal Fury, there are several I'd recommend. FFSpecial is the classic one (it's FF2: Champion Edition, basically), all of the Real Bout games (1, Special, and 2), and Garou: Mark of the Wolves. The latter is considered by many to be the best game in the series and one of the finest fighting games ever made. Using the Neo-Geo hardware, you got animations that rivaled SF3. And honestly I like how it plays more than SF3.

Honorable mention: FF2 on Genny is sped up and has chain combos.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the dumbest parts of the design would certainly be censored anyway due to the ratings board (like the unbuttoned shorts and cleavage). Anyway, we're almost certainly getting Garou Terry rather than her although I'd really prefer female Terry just because it'd result in greater visual variation.
You still can't get around SNK Heroines's concept of involuntarily changing someone's body for fetishistic purposes.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
98 is pretty good. You can also try Garou: Mark of the Wolves that is also a great game and has that older version of Terry that people are asking as a costume.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The last thing the Fighters Pass needed was more guys.

I agree. Hopefully we get Edelgard, Elma, and more diverse characters in the roster. But if you want a character from the SNK universe it makes sense to choose Terry, he's basically their mascot and has a long legacy.

As for Nak being "robbed", agree to disagree I guess.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Smash is gonna be the game with every fighting game character in it in some way....will not be surprised if tekken, soul calibur will be in it in some form...

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
All these "America doesn't know SNK" comments feel.. so odd to me. I remember talking about Neo Geo, as a little black boy in Elementary School, in the early 90s. Anyone who picked up a game magazine knew what Fatal Fury was. As other have mentioned here, Fatal Fury the Motion Picture came on Sci-Fi Channel back in the day.

I probably had more people understand what an SNK was, than those who knew what it mean that I had a Sega Master System. Nick Arcade and the other 90s video game shows alllllll had Neo Geo Games one them, even if they weren't the most popular games.

Like, if we got a Culture Brain character in the form of a Hiryu No Ken Character (Note: I'd be totally up for this!), I could see people being offended and surprised. But as others have said here, we basically got the old "DC" Rival to the "Marvel" Character that's already in the game. I think the only current character that REALLY confuses me is Joker, because he and the P3 and 4 references are way out of Smash's normal 3rd party referencing league. They seem to like hitting the genesis of a series, rather than something that's only become popular in the past 5+ years. Even Solid Snake was basically a reference to a character that was born in the NES Days.

Who'd ever though we'd see a Belmont VS Bogard battle.. in a Mario stage, with Pokémon surrounding them. Gaming opened up so nicely over the past few years.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
fuck
EDqgx-VVAAACYr3

yeah

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
The first arcade fighting game I fell in love with is BlazBlue Calamity Trigger. Never played an SNK game, but I can tell from footage of KoF that they paved the way for this wonderful era of "anime" fighting games we have now. Congrats to SNK!

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
If never even heard of this character until yesterday but that trailer is great, and I absolutely love that Smash can surprise with new characters that have huge fan bases that are new (to me), and the culture surrounding them. I almost hope the next char is someone I don't know too.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who Terry is but I'm glad for you Terry fans :). That was a pretty good trailer and I look forward to trying him out.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
This age well ^_^

At 1:49 Terry vs Captain Falcon is going to finally happen

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Nice addition to an already legendary game (Smash will never be topped, ever)...

And with the news of more DLC fighters... Kyo/Iori are a very viable options... :)

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man I've been mentioning this in many posts recently, thought. Was the only one. I knew about FF LOOONG before I knew about SNK in general.
I saw all three movies on someone's AngelFire using RealPlayer or Quicktime or something back in 1998 before I even knew what Fatal Fury was. Just thought it was some anime. Terry was voiced by Gundam Wing's Heero Yuy. Second movie was my fave. Memories~...

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Dude, Terry is awesome. Now I wonder which final smash he will get, Buster Wolf or Power Geyser? maybe both and they'll be proximity dependant like Ken's.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To be clear, I don't hate Terry in any way whatsoever. I'm cool with his inclusion in Smash & think that they handled his reveal beautifully. Most of my qualms come from the growing problem of there being few women & even fewer people of color (but there's another thread I made for that, so I won't drag the rest of this thread down).

On-topic, I wonder if Terry will have a meter mechanic.

cormano91939

Banned
Sep 4, 2019
SNK is big in Latin America, apparenlty. The son of Mexican immigrants in the US, I still had no idea. My cousins in Guadalajara are going CRAZY, lol

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Terry looks rad and the reveal was awesome!

So... Do we know if there is going to be an additional fighter pass, or will these future characters be included with the pass that's out now?

I know, wishful thinking.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

So... Do we know if there is going to be an additional fighter pass, or will these future characters be included with the pass that's out now?

Nothing's been announced so far, but the latter won't be happening anytime soon.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm probably not going to play Smash again but was happy one of the Bogards got the invite.

God this just makes me want a Fatal Fury 2 remaster really bad.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There was fine print at the bottom of the screen during the announcement saying that the second wave of characters won't be part of the current pass.