• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is super unprecedented right? What's the most pardons a past president has given out?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

citing Palmer Luckey as an advocate, only months after he hosted a fundraiser for Trump with the Beach Boys as performers. it's....... it's quite a pardon, and not in a good way.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I mean, I guess he could roll out more tomorrow, but why wait? Now he's got less than 12 hours to go, needs to get some sleep, needs to get down to Florida for his Farewell Counter-Party which assume is happing alongside the inauguration for optimal pettiness, etc etc.

wouldn't be surprised if he just kinda slept on it then woke up tomorrow and panic pardoned himself before it's too late

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I guess he could roll out more tomorrow, but why wait? Now he's got less than 12 hours to go, needs to get some sleep, needs to get down to Florida for his Farewell Counter-Party which assume is happing alongside the inauguration for optimal pettiness, etc etc.
His going away "party" is 8am at the Air Force base, meaning he'll be out of the White House by like 6-7a. Doubt there's anything else coming apart from him crying in his pillow.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Paul Erickson President Trump has issued a full pardon to Paul Erikson. This pardon is supported by Kellyanne Conway. Mr. Erickson's conviction was based off the Russian collusion hoax. After finding no grounds to charge him with any crimes with respect to connections with Russia, he was charged with a minor financial crime. Although the Department of Justice sought a lesser sentence, Mr. Erickson was sentenced to 7 years' imprisonment—nearly double the Department of Justice's recommended maximum sentence. This pardon helps right the wrongs of what has been revealed to be perhaps the greatest witch hunt in American History.

:|

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is super unprecedented right? What's the most pardons a past president has given out?

Obama gave out 300+ pardons his last day and I think 2000 overall but it was for a lot of non violent drug offenders and stuff, Trump's pardoned a lot less but it's mostly for cronies and the well connected, that's what makes him more unique though Clinton pardoned so,e shitty people during his day as well. Trump still takes the cake

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

He also commuted the sentence of another guy involved in a Ponzi scheme, and one of his supporters isn't too happy

www.newsweek.com

Trump Supporter Shocked Over Clemency of 'Crook' Who Stole His Life Savings

A 71-year-old supporter of President Donald Trump reportedly said that he was forced to "wonder" about the honesty of the outgoing president after he recently commuted the decades-long prison sentence of a man who stole his life savings in a Ponzi scheme.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
How many of these people do we predict will be back in prison in the next 5-10 years? 30%? 50%?

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Trump has actually given out far fewer pardons/commutations than previous presidents. But the ones he has given out tend to be higher profile ones. He's pardoned litteral war criminals. He's pardoned traitors who refused to help in the Russia investigation, etc.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of white collar criminals. No surprise there. But also a lot of non-violent drug offenders, which is great to see.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
While Bannon is gross, there seems to be some decent pardons in there, assuming no outright lies in some of the descriptions. For example I'm seeing some people serving absurdly long, sometimes life sentences for non-violent drug offenses, or twenty+ years for lying on a mortgage application, which is completely obscene, assuming that's the actual charge. Though I did note one guy was commuted from a life sentence but the crime was not described, which is suspicious.

That said I wouldn't credit Trump with those. No doubt some attorneys pushed to include those so it could make Bannon an easier pill to swallow or something like that and he just went along with it. I am very certain he doesn't know any of those people at all nor does he care.

and lol @ the Paul Erikson one. Fuck off.

And yes, this presidential power needs to be abolished, FFS.
Gross, he pardoned Kwame Kilpatrick.
Had to google that one, and that's definitely gross. Holy shit, what a corrupt, worthless scumbag.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
We need to remove the power of Presidential Pardons, or put a lot of restrictions on it.
No, we need to do the fucking work to curb authoritarians from getting in these positions in the first place, not neutering their ability to rectify real issues.

Until we fix the broken sentencing, pardons across all levels need to remain as they are. There's people who were pardoned today that served 8 years out of 20+ year sentences for fucking drug offenses. Selling drugs shouldn't be a life sentence.

But it is, so leave this one backend process alone until you fix the front end.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Wayne actually got out. Man went from "listening to Bono, YOU LISTEN TO DONALD", then started hanging with Trump, went in and now due to this he's out. Wowwwwww.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's worth noting that the "old felony" that made Wayne's possession of a firearm illegal was... also illegal possession of a firearm...

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
We need to remove the power of Presidential Pardons, or put a lot of restrictions on it.
The founders assumed you'd just impeach a president who abuses that power.
Anyway, rapid-fire pardons to unpopular choices on the last day of office seem to be the default rather than the exception, one of the few traditions Trump didn't break with.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
This pardon helps right the wrongs of what has been revealed to be perhaps the greatest witch hunt in American History.
Jesus, was Donald writing this stuff himself? I mean, obviously not, he doesn't have the attention span and the grammar's too good, but c'mon people. American history had literal witch hunts. Innocent lives were lost due to superstition and sexism. But sure, your buddies getting caught doing white collar crime is way worse.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
John Dean on CNN earlier threw out the possibility of Trump having "secret" pardons. They apparently don't have to declare them in the press like this. Might only show up if people get charged. I have to hope those cannot be blanket pardons, but specific "I did this Crimes yo" pardons.

That shit would be infuriating, and I hope there are charges to be filed Wednesday afternoon. If they have secret pardons, might as well rip that bandaid off now rather than later.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
SMH, no pardon for Hunter and selling that laptop to russia? Guess Biden will have to do it first thing in the afternoon.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
It does not surprise me if Trump has been completely unaware of the Tiger King phenomenon this entire time.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
F Trump and all, but... a lot of these read to me as reasonable and unexpected. Of course there are the usual suspects, but I'm always for non-violent drug offenders getting a break. And I don't see many of them being rich.

Perspective is important, even here.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Granted Biden can expose them all on day one.

(EDIT: And yes, I looked around at more than just the first checkmarked tweet that said it)

EDIT 2: Also I believe he CAN'T pardon himself (if he tries to, it may not hold up in court unless he gets one of the judges he installs), but the rest of the tweet is true

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Wait, you can keep the pardons secret?

Man, I'm ignorant on this. All this sounds so ripe for corruption.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Here's a good breakdown of a few of the pardons courtesy of a redditor.

Trump certainly has a fondness for pardoning corrupt politicians. Tonight he pardoned Kwame Kilpatrick, the former Mayor of Detroit, who was convicted on racketeering and bribery charges.

Other Trump pardons/commutations for corrupt politicians:

• Rod Blagojevich - Blagojevich was sentenced in 2011 to 14 years in federal prison on corruption charges related to his solicitation of bribes in an attempt to "sell" the Senate seat Barack Obama left open after he was elected president.
  • Duncan Hunter and his wife - Former Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter was sentenced to 11 months in federal prison for corruption charges stemming from the illegal misuse of hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign funds.
  • Chris Collins - The first sitting congressman to support President Donald Trump's bid for the White House was sentenced to 26 months in prison after pleading guilty to federal charges in an insider trading case. He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit securities fraud and making false statements.
  • Steve Stockman - Stockman was sentenced to 10 years in 2018 after he was convicted of nearly two-dozen felonies, including fraud. Prosecutors said the conservative firebrand from Friendswood misused $1.25 million in funds from political donors to pay for expenses like hot air balloon rides, kennel bills and a new dishwasher — rather than for charity like the donors were told. He was also accused of planting an undercover intern in the state House office of a political rival.
  • Rick Renzi - In 2013, Renzi was convicted by a Tucson jury of 17 out of 32 counts for corruption including wire fraud, conspiracy, extortion and lying to insurance regulators. According to the prosecutors, Renzi had used his position to enrich himself and help fund his 2002 political campaign by embezzling money from an insurance company and orchestrating a federal land swap.
  • Duke Cunningham - The California Republican spent more than seven years in prison after pleading guilty in November 2005 to charges of tax evasion and conspiracy to commit bribery, mail fraud, and wire fraud. Cunningham, who was 64 when he was sentenced in March 2006, had used his positions on the House Appropriations and Intelligence committees to steer lucrative contracts to those who would help him finance an extravagant lifestyle featuring 19th-century French antiques, yachts, Persian rugs, hunting trips, a Rolls Royce, and a $2.55 million home in an exclusive community in San Diego County.
Edit: And just to put the final cherry on top of this corruption sundae -

Trump just rescinded his executive order banning administration officials from becoming lobbyists for 5 years after leaving politics, breaking one of his key campaign promises to drain the swamp.

I can't stop laughing about Joe Exotic and that goddamn limo.