• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I almost flew out of one of these as a kid because you weren't strapped in, there was just a loose bar above your knees. It's insane that they're still in operation.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, I doubt that group of people was enough mass (or located in the right spot) to actually stabilize the ride. It's more likely that it stabilized on its own as the momentum slowed down. But it's still nice to see so many people jump up to help despite the danger.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I don't blame the bystanders that didn't help. If that thing flipped, anyone jumping on to try and weigh it down could have been seriously injured too.

The people that did jump on? Absolute heroes. Seriously.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How much do you think a machine like that weighs?
Enough for all those people plus the machinery. The thing literally works by swinging weights around. What you see there is the counterweight swinging the ride itself and them not being able to slam the breaks because doing so would cause the kinetic energy to transfer along unpredictable vectors, possibly tipping the thing over. At a rough guess, 5-7 tons. Which would be 10000-14000 pounds. 200 pounds per rider, about 20 riders (2 tons), + counterweight (2 tons) + structure (???).

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
First guy is a hero for coming up with that. Everyone else who joined is still super brave, since the whole ride could still have tipped over with everyone on it.

I'm also glad the railing actually held together with so many people doing that.

This is why I refuse to ride anything that's put up in a day.
Yeah same. The way those things are put up and taken down over and over just doesn't inspire confidence.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I don't blame the bystanders that didn't help. If that thing flipped, anyone jumping on to try and weigh it down could have been seriously injured too.
That's true.

At the same time, the people whose first instinct is to whip out their phones and start filming? Fuck them

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
It's nice to show concern and solidarity, but it would take a lot more than that to stop the ride if it was going to tip over. It's a nice gesture though, for sure.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
MV5BZTI0NGM2OGYtNzVmMi00NGQ2LTk2MDAtN2RmYjIzMGRkZGYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
Thought same.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
First dude who held it down all alone is a certified badass. Dudes balls prob held the thing down till everyone came to help

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Scary stuff, I'm glad no one was hurt.

These sort of rides always scare me, my sister was stuck up in the air on a similar ride for 20 minutes or so when we were younger, and years ago one of the young carnival people died after being struck on the head by a ride.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we're literally watching that very footage in the OP so why "fuck them"?
Agreed. Don't get the aggression towards people who film strange events.

Nevertheless, having come from Universal not too long ago, this is my total nightmare scenario. Glad no one was hurt!

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I mean we're literally watching that very footage in the OP so why "fuck them"?
Because it's a reflection of them being more interested in getting likes/views on social media over anything else. Just seems like a odd reflex to me when people are in danger, but maybe I'm the odd one. 🤷‍♂️

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love all kinds of theme park rides but FUCK anything at a county fair or smaller

That first dude is a badass

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
The last video it looked like the ride was stabilizing before people started hopping on.

Second video was scary as fuck for the operator. Glad he was able to hit the emergency before hopping off.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My hesitation to board anything of this nature continues to seem like the right choice.
Loved see the folks who ran to help. It's been said but the first dude...A+ my guy.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Fuck man. Those bystanders saved those people's lives.

Ugh, fair rides make me so nervous...

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Umm… are there people trying to play the shooting gallery game instead of helping/running? There also looks like there's a spinning ride nearby within its fall range that's still going…

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
The bystander effect sucks and all but can I be real?
Did those people do anything besides put themselves in mortal danger if the ride did collapse? My instincts make my think that the ride likely weights many tons and the ride stabilized itself as it came to a stop.
I don't see how a dozen or so people ever slow something like this down.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You have to be pretty dumb or have a very devil-may-care attitude to even get near a carnival ride. That's your life bro, on a carnival ride.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Did those people do anything besides put themselves in mortal danger if the ride did collapse? My instincts make my think that the ride likely weights many tons and the ride stabilized itself as it came to a stop.
It's a valid question but idk about the math I guess.

My mind estimates that just bc the thing weighs more doesn't mean the entirety of the weight was centralized against them though since it wasn't swinging its whole weight around and has a center of gravity and such so some of that weight would just be planted into the ground.

We'll have to have someone mythbust it tho

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
It's a valid question but idk about the math I guess.

My mind estimates that just bc the thing weighs more doesn't mean the entirety of the weight was centralized against them though since it wasn't swinging its whole weight around and has a center of gravity and such so some of that weight would just be planted into the ground.

We'll have to have someone mythbust it tho
I'd imagine when the counter weight was directly over head it would have been in prime position to topple over if it wanted to. Bystanders or not.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Yeah, I dunno either. My inclination is that the weight of the people on the front had a negligible effect and great personal risk to them. Very brave of them, and glad no one was seriously injured. Definitely a scary situation.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If it fell over then it was going to fall AWAY from them.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not getting on a ride that is designed to be disassembled over and over again.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
You'll never get me on one of these rickety-ass carnival rides, put together and taken apart hundreds of times again and again by God knows who.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
those people that helped out are very brave. If it was me I would prob ran away, no way I'm getting near that death trap when it's destabilizing

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I was gonna say something in defense of the recorders but another angle is from TikTok with the caption "bruh," like man.......

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I almost flew out of one of these as a kid because you weren't strapped in, there was just a loose bar above your knees. It's insane that they're still in operation.

Not really. People can decide for themselves if the thrill of the ride is worth the risks. Bear in mind carnival tickets are often cheaper than other adrenaline sources (theme parks, sky diving, etc). If the market determines that that savings does not adequately offset the risks, the carnivals will naturally go out of business. The fact that they have endured is testament to their value to society.

Seriously though my first thought was I hope to hell the people who stepped in to help have health insurance. Imagine getting hurt while trying to save someone else in a situation like this and getting bankrupted for your trouble.