• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
God some people in this thread are so out of touch.

Sakaguchi hasen't directed an HD game or hell a AAA game in fucking years he hasn't even stated in that scene like Kitase has as a producer its a way different game now then when he was last in that scene, Sakaguchi doesn't even live in Japan he lives in Honolulu and hell watch some of the streams he has been on like with Tabata when he isn't sorta shit talking Kitase he really doesn't have much intreat going back to AAA development let the guy retire in Hawaii already.

Mistwalker just like Armor Project although not successful like them, they are just a production company that comes up with ideas and has other studios develop the games a good amount of which have been bought up by other studios so there not many studios left that they could farm a AAA game too that could handle it imo.

Matsuno..... the guy left during FF12 due to the stress of AAA development and sickness during the PS2 days, imagine trying to develop a Triple AAA Final Fantasy now days and the stress, he doesn't want that life anymore

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Mistwalker is and has always been a design studio. They don't have much choice outside of either working on a ton of games, or hiring a lot more people to be able to support their games.
Sad to see.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Sakaguchi hasen't directed an HD game or hell a AAA game in fucking years he hasn't even stated in that scene like Kitase has as a producer its a way different game now then when he was last in that scene, Sakaguchi doesn't even live in Japan he lives in Honolulu and hell watch some of the streams he has been on like with Tabata when he isn't sorta shit talking Kitase he really doesn't have much intreat going back to AAA development let the guy retire in Hawaii already.

Mistwalker just like Armor Project although not successful like them, they are just a production company that comes up with ideas and has other studios develop the games a good amount of which have been bought up by other studios so there not many studios left that they could farm a AAA game too that could handle it imo.

Matsuno..... the guy left during FF12 due to the stress of AAA development and sickness during the PS2 days, imagine trying to develop a Triple AAA Final Fantasy now days and the stress, he doesn't want that life anymore
The obsession with "ambitious big game" of this forum means that people cannot even think that there are people who do not want to work or lead a AAA.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Lol

Last Story's name itself is an obvious reference to Final Fantasy.

Here+you+go+you+lazy++_a230ffae3356d18d928c9796582d908b.png

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol

Last Story's name itself is an obvious reference to Final Fantasy.

Here+you+go+you+lazy++_a230ffae3356d18d928c9796582d908b.png
that's not enough to make it Nintendo's Final Fantasy.

one thing preventing it from becoming a long-running franchise is the fact that it's reliant on an external developer. Nintendo will quicker kill an IP if the dev leaves or dies than bring it in-house

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Matsuno worked on ffxiv and the rumors sugests that Yoshida might work with him on ffxvi again

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Matsuno worked on ffxiv and the rumors sugests that Yoshida might work with him on ffxvi again
Matsuno just wrote a series of 3 raids for FFXIV. There are no credible rumors that he is working on FFXVI or anything like that. You know what Matsuno WAS working on though? A brand new mobile game he was directing with Platinum Games and Cygames, and after it had an early beta test, they shut down all PR for the game and never spoke of it again. Matsuno aren't directing shit again.

Fans need to learn to let go when people they like can no longer produce that output again. It's okay, life goes on.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I remember the huge hoopla for terra 1.

Amazing story apparently.
Terra Battle is the best mobile exclusive RPG ever. Everything about it was really polished and really good. Unfortunately.... Mistwalker wanted to continue to work on Terra Battle internally while partnering with other studios to make Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars. Now everything is dead.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Matsuno just wrote a series of 3 raids for FFXIV. There are no credible rumors that he is working on FFXVI or anything like that. You know what Matsuno WAS working on though? A brand new mobile game he was directing with Platinum Games and Cygames, and after it had an early beta test, they shut down all PR for the game and never spoke of it again. Matsuno aren't directing shit again.

Fans need to learn to let go when people they like can no longer produce that output again. It's okay, life goes on.
I don't think Matsuno will ever take a directorial role again, but being brought as a writer? With Yoshida's appreciation and reverence to the man while still reining him in in his excesses, he could very well be a collaborator in writing at least.

He worked on some raids thats it which isn't much compared to a triple AAA game and literally no credible rumor for FFXVI that he is working on it again he doesn't''t want that life.

He doesn't have to have that life anyway. He doesn't have to direct it, he has other people he worked with for most of his career that can do it just as well. But he could very well take a role that is important like scenario writer.

Anyway, how can I play Terra Battle today? I can't find it on the store

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Matsuno will ever take a directorial role again, but being brought as a writer? With Yoshida's appreciation and reverence to the man while still reining him in in his excesses, he could very well be a collaborator in writing at least.

He doesn't have to have that life anyway. He doesn't have to direct it, he has other people he worked with for most of his career that can do it just as well. But he could very well take a role that is important like scenario writer.

Anyway, how can I play Terra Battle today? I can't find it on the store
Terra Battle shut down. There was a final update to make it playable offline but otherwise the game is dead.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I really need The Last Story HD (NSW), Blue Dragon Remastered (XBO/PC/NSW) and Lost Odyssey Remastered (XBO/PC/NSW) to happen. And then follow that up with sequels to all 3.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a reason Sakaguchi and Matsuno never made a game together? Seems like it would be a dream pairing.

We need Yoshida and Matsuno back together. Square, give it a chance!

Also, kudos for the correct orthography of "reining" :)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Sakaguchi's strategy was stupid. Who makes a "2" of a gacha game anyway in the first place? He wanted to make it a Final Fantasy franchise, when it only needed to be one game. Sad
Actually, launching new games when you already have a similar game is common in the mobile industry. This is because the CPI (cost per install) can vary across titles.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, launching new games when you already have a similar game is common in the mobile industry. This is because the CPI (cost per install) can vary across titles.
And to Terra Battle 2's credit, it wasn't just Terra Battle 1 with a new skin. There were actual mechanical differences in its core gameplay that made it a different experience to play even if it does share basic design concepts.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think everything's pointing to Ito directing FFXVI, no?

I believe you can still get it on the US store (and the Japanese one). The game got discontinued in Europe... maybe they quietly removed it in other regions as well.
From the little I've gathered, nothing points to him doing anything with mainline FF. Even anything for that matter. He apparently was consulted for The Zodiac Age, and they didn't want to tell what he was doing.

Is there a reason Sakaguchi and Matsuno never made a game together? Seems like it would be a dream pairing.

We need Yoshida and Matsuno back together. Square, give it a chance!

Also, kudos for the correct orthography of "reining" :)
Matsuno did one chapter of Terra Battle alongside Isamu Kamikokuryo (FFXII's art director) and Hitoshi Sakimoto (composer of FFXII and FFT), so they worked on something together at least. Also thanks!

Does these new games happen to be numbered sequels? Because that was just asking for people to migrate to the next game rather than having different install bases and two games that are supported. Terra Battle 2 felt like the evolution of 1 rather than a game lightly iterating on a similar concept (like MZ is doing with Game of War). If you have more context I don't get please share

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Does these new games happen to be numbered sequels? Because that was just asking for people to migrate to the next game rather than having different install bases and two games that are supported. Terra Battle 2 felt like the evolution of 1 rather than a game lightly iterating on a similar concept (like MZ is doing with Game of War). If you have more context I don't get please share
No, you're right, most mobile games don't launch numbered sequels. I'll stop short of saying it's a dumb strategy just because I don't really know any precedent for games doing this, but I wouldn't do it myself. Naming aside, devs do tend to launch products with minimal changes very often.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
No, you're right, most mobile games don't launch numbered sequels. I'll stop short of saying it's a dumb strategy just because I don't really know any precedent for games doing this, but I wouldn't do it myself. Naming aside, devs do tend to launch products with minimal changes very often.
I see. You're right that it might not be dumb, in another timeline it could have been a success but unfortunately there were other glaring issues that were more important than the naming itself if I'm being honest.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
i knew i was not crazy
Reyes Brazil

www.resetera.com

Naoki Yoshida (FFXIV) has a large scale next gen title in full development

There has been a rumor for a while that Yoshi P’s team has also been working on the next Final Fantasy entry. Could this finally be the confirmation? Rough google translation: Please look forward to it me if old.

unless something changed recently, Koozek ?
I don't know about that 3rd DD project but, as far as I know, it's not FFXVI. That is being worked on by a different team.

I really need The Last Story HD (NSW), Blue Dragon Remastered (XBO/PC/NSW) and Lost Odyssey Remastered (XBO/PC/NSW) to happen. And then follow that up with sequels to all 3.
Replaying Lost Odyssey on Xbox BC was such a joy. That game is a blast.

i knew i was not crazy
Reyes Brazil

www.resetera.com

There has been a rumor for a while that Yoshi P’s team has also been working on the next Final Fantasy entry. Could this finally be the confirmation? Rough google translation: Please look forward to it me if old.

Thats not 16.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Koozek lay the FF16 stuff down
i knew i was not crazy
Reyes Brazil

www.resetera.com

Sry mates, but I don't really post here anymore.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I totally understand not wanting to produce AAA games again. Its definitely unsustainable. So why not indie stuff? I'd love to see the Gooch put out an indie rpg. The mobile games are that already but on phones. Tokyo RPG Factory are doing it but they just lack the necessary talent to pull it off. I think Mistwalker could do it, they just need manpower.

Its frustrating how the era of cool Japanese AA may be dying because devs refuse to see the indie market as a viable option. Its the only way to continue the legacy of the DS/wii/psp

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Dude... in what world was Chrono Trigger a small RPG? It was one of the biggest JRPG projects back then. They even had to cancel the first iteration of FFVII in order to put more staff on Chrono Trigger because the initial team was having trouble finishing development in a timely manner.
Right when it came out. But right now a RPG typically spans almost 100 hours.

A "small" scale RPG to Chrono trigger's scale is more financially feasible in the market today. Yeah it might have been difficult when it came out but a smaller budget sprite based RPG that's only a dozen or two dozen hours would allow him to still tell a story without trying to break into an even more congested market that will flee at the first sign of flop revenue, especially considering how you have to design a game to monetize itself properly in mobile space.

I'm not saying that "anyone" could make Chrono Trigger, but I'm saying that someone could feasibly, with the experience this team has, make a game to its scale and try to get into the market of smaller tier JRPGs. The only people I've seen do that so far is Cosmic Star Heroine and MAYBe Battle Chasers if you want to count that, but most consider it "AA" because of the name behind it (Joe Mad and others from Vigil) and kickstarter funding that later found a publishing house in Gunfire later. There's a lot of movie pieces to that.

Chrono Trigger is...tiny by today's standards. That's not as controversial as you seem to think it is.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I don't know about that 3rd DD project but, as far as I know, it's not FFXVI. That is being worked on by a different team.

Replaying Lost Odyssey on Xbox BC was such a joy. That game is a blast.
What other team do you think could be working on XVI? To our knowledge, all other high profile teams are either working on an announced game or a new IP, like Luminous.

Only Yoshi P's division is said to be working on a game that wasn't described as a new IP, which also raises another question. What already established SE IP could they be working on, other than the next FF entry?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Byvar

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I totally understand not wanting to produce AAA games again. Its definitely unsustainable. So why not indie stuff? I'd love to see the Gooch put out an indie rpg. The mobile games are that already but on phones. Tokyo RPG Factory are doing it but they just lack the necessary talent to pull it off.
I totally agree, though I think they're already working towards this. From the little we've seen from it, Fantasian looks much more like a small RPG that can be played with a controller. It's being made for Apple Arcade, but I have some hope that it'll release as a small title on consoles as well.
The last game Hiroyuki Ito directed was a PlayStation 2 game. That was 14 years ago. That was two gaming generations ago, almost three now.

He's not qualified to direct FFXVI or anything current-gen.
I've heard this argument for both Nomura (in the cases of Versus XIII, KH3 and FF7R) and Tabata (FFXV, after only directing mobile games) and it turns out they were able to deliver regardless. If anything, Ito has more experience than those two.
Not that I particularly want Ito to be the director of the next Final Fantasy - just thought that was one of the rumors. Considering that the 3rd Development Division also houses the FFXII team next to Yoshida's FFXIV team, I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Is it a guess or do you have some insight into that?

If so, it's interesting because the common theory is the game is been done by Yoshida's team with the main directors and the main scenario writer of Heavensward. But if it's not them, I don't see which team could do this as we know Luminous Production have a new IP and CBU1 have FFVIIR at this moment. But the first division also opened their recruitement page not long ago so who know.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I totally understand not wanting to produce AAA games again. Its definitely unsustainable. So why not indie stuff? I'd love to see the Gooch put out an indie rpg. The mobile games are that already but on phones. Tokyo RPG Factory are doing it but they just lack the necessary talent to pull it off. I think Mistwalker could do it, they just need manpower.

Its frustrating how the era of cool Japanese AA may be dying because devs refuse to see the indie market as a viable option. Its the only way to continue the legacy of the DS/wii/psp
Does he refuse to see it as an option, or does he just not want to pursue it? Sakaguchi and Mistwalker have a history of working on games of that level on the DS, including ASH, two Blue Dragon games, and Away: Shuffle Dungeon.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying that "anyone" could make Chrono Trigger, but I'm saying that someone could feasibly, with the experience this team has, make a game to its scale and try to get into the market of smaller tier JRPGs. The only people I've seen do that so far is Cosmic Star Heroine and MAYBe Battle Chasers if you want to count that, but most consider it "AA" because of the name behind it (Joe Mad and others from Vigil) and kickstarter funding that later found a publishing house in Gunfire later. There's a lot of movie pieces to that.

To give some context, CSH took us a bit over 3 years to make with 2 fullt-time people (myself & Bill) as well as 2 people for the music & sound. Although it can be completed in less time than most games of the era, in terms of pure amount of content, I think it's on par (I specifically checked it against Lunar: EB and in a lot of aspects, CSH was similar). A talented group of developers could totally make something on par with Chrono Trigger in style & scope these days on a low budget if they knew what they were doing.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
What ?
Western "open world" RPGs don't count here...
It's mostly all filler also.
Irrelevant. Xenoblade 2, FF games like XV, Tales of games, etc all span in the 60-80 hour marks since the switch to HD. Ignoring even "western" gaming if we want to be pedantic Chrono Trigger's scope and scale is tiny in comparison, and doable. But I won't get into "filler" and bloat as it changes from game to game and would be tangential and derail the thread.

Either way JRPGs on console are huge now. And have been for a while.

To give some context, CSH took us a bit over 3 years to make with 2 fullt-time people (myself & Bill) as well as 2 people for the music & sound. Although it can be completed in less time than most games of the era, in terms of pure amount of content, I think it's on par (I specifically checked it against Lunar: EB and in a lot of aspects, CSH was similar). A talented group of developers could totally make something on par with Chrono Trigger in style & scope these days on a low budget if they knew what they were doing.
^ this is what I was getting at. This is not to downtalk Trigger or to downplay what the team was able to do with CSH, but games to the scale of Trigger would be much more cost efficient in my eyes than trying to gamble on Gacha. Especially SEQUELS to gacha. It just seems like the wrong market when you have the heavy hitters like Gooch on the team. I'm glad he's doing what he "wants" to do for sure, but I think there's a niche group that very few are tapping into (I hope to someday) that with a lower budget and smaller scope could be achieved by looking to games like Trigger and the SNES era as a comparison point.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's the same thing with Ito. The guy hasn't worked on anything for 10 years and more and yet people still think he can lead an AAA team to make a game. The dude's probably just happy with whatever he is doing at SE. Or fridged due to politics. Either way i don't think he'll be able to actually make anything these days, if they make him director.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Love and greatly respect the Gooch. He's a legend. Post The Last Story I feel like he's been wasting away. Hopefully he's happy at least.