• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
When people start a thread title or sentence with "Yo" to express their surprised emotions. Example: "Yooo, this game is actually kinda good?"

It happens a lot on this forum and it makes me feel old. :(

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Am I the only one/is it only me?

Yes, in this entire world you're the only person that thinks that way or likes that thing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand the word "mate" even as a British person. Not even sure why.

Keyboard mashing also annoys me a bit because it's always something that looks too neat, like "asdafas", and not what it should be in reality - [';ujbsrf;fdn

Oct 28, 2017

tumblr_nv3z6be1mg1uxe5xjw5.gif

Jan 10, 2018
Some that annoy me at work:

When using the phonetic alphabet, using Sugar instead of Sierra, or Mother instead of Mike. Or when they say "A for Alpha" or "A as in Alpha", just fucking say "Alpha".

Confusing "UNsecure" with "INsecure". If we've had to force entry somewhere, the property is now "UNsecure", not "INsecure". The building isn't suddenly paranoid about its weight.

Usual office/management speak. "Touch base", using "Action" as a verb, "Low hanging fruit", "Sing from the same hymn sheet" etc.

And in general:

People who use "parse" or "unpack", "Break the internet", any programming language used in normal discourse like =! or =/= instead of ".. Doesn't mean..".

When people don't know the difference between "Bought" and "Brought", "Every day" and "Everyday", and "Apart" and "A part". Especially the last one because "Apart" and "A part" have opposite meanings.

Someone using "You must be fun at parties" or the "No fun allowed" pic when they've been corrected on a minor point.

People, usually pretentious reviewers, using the word "Important" when describing music or a film. "The most important album of 2019".. fuck off, it's disposable pop trash that will be forgotten in less than 12 months.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a colloquialism but I find it slightly annoying when people describe things - mostly the weather - as very mild. Its either mild or its not - mild is not something that can be extreme as the very suggests.

I looked up the dictionary definition of mild:

• not severe, serious, or harsh.
    "he received a mild sentence"
    • (of weather) moderately warm, especially less cold than expected.
      "it is still mild enough to work outdoors"
    • (of a feeling) not intense or extreme.
      "she looked at him in mild surprise"
  • gentle and not easily provoked.
    "she was implacable, despite her mild exterior"

I could see myself placing the word "very" before many of the words found inside the definition. Very severe. Very serious. Very harsh. Etc. If we can add the word "very" in front of antonyms like "severe" and "harsh" why can't we also place the word "very" before the the opposite term, "mild"? Even the word "gentle" is found in this dictionary definition; the word "gentle" is a synonym and I could see the term "very gentle" being appropriate to use.

Oct 27, 2017
Open the lights

hysterical crying as in: "I broke the news to him and he started hysterical crying" (should be hysterically)

valentimes day. Where the fuck do people get the M from?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Oh boy...

"cancel" "whataboutism" "stan" "gaslight" "x-culture" "irregardless" using "literally" incorrectly. Saying "I could care less". "Toxic" "disgusting". I could list more...

A lot of buzzwords folks throw around here annoy the hell out of me, either because it's poor use of grammar, blown out of proportion or just idiotic.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
"Pretentious"

I feel like it's an easy catch all to describe something you don't like, regardless of whether you know the author's intent.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used it in jest earlier, but "ok boomer" is so overused now, often in circumstances where the younger person actually has no valid argument to make, that it has completely invalidated the original, salient point it was made to make.

In before "ok boomer".

Oct 26, 2017
Hack.

However, it's kind of a useful barometers. I started ignoring users in Star Wars threads who can't put together a coherent thought without falling back on calling Rian/JJ/Lucas a hack, and, to my surprise, those threads have started becoming waaay more bearable.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
"It is what it is"
"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit"
"I could care less"
"Whatever happens, happens"
"Restructuring the workforce" - chances are you're firing people
"No longer require your services" - you're firing people

Any other bullshit HR term that treats people as cogs or tools in a lifeless machine.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
I looked up the dictionary definition of mild:

• not severe, serious, or harsh.
    "he received a mild sentence"
    • (of weather) moderately warm, especially less cold than expected.
      "it is still mild enough to work outdoors"
    • (of a feeling) not intense or extreme.
      "she looked at him in mild surprise"
  • gentle and not easily provoked.
    "she was implacable, despite her mild exterior"

I could see myself placing the word "very" before many of the words found inside the definition. Very severe. Very serious. Very harsh. Etc. If we can add the word "very" in front of antonyms like "severe" and "harsh" why can't we also place the word "very" before the the opposite term, "mild"? Even the word "gentle" is found in this dictionary definition; the word "gentle" is a synonym and I could see the term "very gentle" being appropriate to use.

How does mild weather differ from very mild weather? Does the very add anything to the meaning of the word?

Jan 10, 2018
"all humans have equal value"

What does this even mean? Some kind of base value that somehow protects everyone from being preyed on? Is it emotional? Economical? Philosophical? Or maybe everything at once? I sure as hell don't have the same emotional value to a random mother as her own child, I'm not worth the same money to football manager as a star player and I have no idea why God would choose me as an atheist over a strong believer.