• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
No, I like almost everything from Fortnite to visual novels.

But these games have some of the best stories in gaming, and RDR2 has the most impressive open world ever. This can only be achieves with a big budget, just like TLOU II accessibility/customization options can only be achieved with millions of dollars. That's why they are more likely to win.
I like how we don't really state anything that could separate them from being a large-scale corporate endeavors lol like one has a large open world and the other has a good story? Again, this surface deep level analysis is precisely the reason why game critique is int he state that it is and why game awards are meaningless when compared to an award from any other industry

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I like how we don't really state anything that could separate them from being a large-scale corporate endeavors lol like one has a large open world and the other has a good story? Again, this surface deep level analysis is precisely the reason why game critique is int he state that it is and why game awards are meaningless when compared to an award from any other industry

The person you're responding to isn't pretending to be a game critic... There's plenty of absolutely wonderful game discourse out there comparable to the discourse of any artistic medium you want to bring up.

Not to mention you completely misunderstood the point of the post you're quoting lol. You're frankly being incredibly dismissive.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
The person you're responding to isn't pretending to be a game critic... There's plenty of absolutely wonderful game discourse out there comparable to the discourse of any artistic medium you want to bring up.
Try to follow the conversation before jumping in please. I'm stating that games criticism is in the state that it is because the same large scale corporate productions sweep the awards year after year. They're implying they deserve to sweep the awards, hence my response

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Sad Dad and Oscarbait make sense to me.

Even though I like alot of them, I dont think the criticism is invalid. A bunch of Sony's big games are heavily cinematic focused games centered on "sad dads" or other middle aged guys, where the stories are usually a bigger deal than the gameplay.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Try to follow the conversation before jumping in please. I'm stating that games criticism is in the state that it is because the same large scale corporate productions sweep the awards year after year. They're implying they deserve to sweep the awards, hence my response

Yeah, the fact that you keep ignoring reasons WHY they dominate awards is the dismissive part I'm talking about lol... Almost like these games are incredible or something, right?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
But most of those "oscar bait" Sony titles are mechanically excellent in addition to being technically, artistically and audiovisually magnificent.

Some of them, absolutely. Others, I wouldn't say so. I don't want to focus this on Sony's games as I think it's a wider issue so I will give a non Sony example. I have strong objections to many of RDR2's mechanics, as did many gamers, yet its cinematic and story elements were valued higher by most journalists than its mechanical failings.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fact that you keep ignoring reasons WHY they dominate awards is the dismissive part I'm talking about lol... Almost like these games are incredible or something, right?
I was given a reason for TLOU2 was that it has a great story and RDR2 has a detailed open world. I'm really not sure what I was supposed to do with those two observations but you clearly have lol

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Its basically terms to underplay games people dont like, like how nintnedo games are underplayed as "kiddy games" etc.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
User Banned (1 day): Hostility
The reason people aren't following isn't because they're jumping in, it's because your argument is a lot dumber than you clearly think it is. I would also suggest from your patronising tone that the same is true of you.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I was given a reason for TLOU2 was that it has a great story and RDR2 has a detailed open world. I'm really not sure what I was supposed to do with those two observations but you clearly have lol

If you'd like to read more about why those games are incredible there's plenty of places to look! Like I said, OP isn't pretending to be a game critic lol. Using their post as a jump-off point for "why game criticism sucks!" is such a tepid angle to take. You said the games are "JUST big corporate games." OP basically responded by telling you that while they are, they do X and Y at a very high level.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I don't think anyone can doubt that the games are usually technically incredible. But opinions can definitely vary on the quality of the experience or certain mechanics. Just saying 'they're incredible or something' won't be the case for everyone and while the person you're talking to is a bit all over the place in their arguments (even if I agree with the jist of some of them), it isn't exactly the gotcha you might think it is.

Plus there's the whole other issue of what the gaming community (critics and players) has decided are the hallmarks of a great game. Like in film, quality seems to be determined mostly by what a group of white men think or thought are the most important or interesting mechanics, genres.

Last edited:

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of them, absolutely. Others, I wouldn't say so. I don't want to focus this on Sony's games as I think it's a wider issue so I will give a non Sony example. I have strong objections to many of RDR2's mechanics, as did many gamers, yet its cinematic and story elements were valued higher by most journalists than its mechanical failings.
That is fair but this topic has more to do with Sony's output than third parties, but your point is still valid for sure. And I obviously agree that not every title hits the mark.

Gaming journalism is an entirely different issue that would require a seperate thread to even begin discussing.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
The reason people aren't following isn't because they're jumping in, it's because your argument is a lot dumber than you clearly think it is. I would also suggest from your patronising tone that the same is true of you.
Are you willing to reiterate as to which part of my argument you have an issue with or are you going to drive by personally attack me? No video game is worth that to be completely honest

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

What I said:

If you see games like RDR2 and GOW just as "corporate big budget" this conversation goes nowhere.

I never said they aren't big budget, you're just ignoring everything else about these games and why they are liked.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I don't think anyone can doubt that the games are usually technically incredible. But opinions can definitely vary on the quality of the experience or certain mechanics. Just saying 'they're incredible or something' won't be the case for everyone and while the person you're talking to is a bit all over the place in their arguments, it isn't exactly the gotcha you might think it is.

The point of the thread isn't to break down why I personally think those games are incredible lol. I'm responding to a point that is insinuating that the reason these games are successful at award shows is ONLY because they're big-corporate games. I didn't think I'd have to break down why those games are great in order to argue against such a silly point lol

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
If you'd like to read more about why those games are incredible there's plenty of places to look! Like I said, OP isn't pretending to be a game critic lol. Using their post as a jump-off point for "why game criticism sucks!" is such a tepid angle to take. You said the games are "JUST big corporate games." OP basically responded by telling you that while they are, they do X and Y at a very high level.
It sure does get tiring repeating that they're still good games it's just a negative indicator that they're the only ones that sweep these games awards. AAA games are GOOD but they are NOT heads and shoulders so much better than literally everything else on the market every single god damn year that their continued yearly sweeping doesn't reflect negatively on the games industry as a whole. I'm not the only one saying things like this btw

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who plays quite a few "sad dad" games, I'll admit even though they're aesthetically different and have very key gameplay differences, the following qualify to me as "sad dad" games:
The Last of Us (1)
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Death Stranding
God of War (4)

Really all (very well-made) games published by SIE that center around a third-person action-adventure game with a realistic art style where an older male protagonist has some kind of emotional trauma as part of the central conflict in the story, usually directly or indirectly related to family and family ties.

It doesn't help much to detract from this shade that others outside of the "sad dad" category, like inFamous: Second Son, Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Ghost of Tsushima are also big, well-made, open-world third-person action adventure games. Once again, the aesthetics are different and each focus on different types of combat (and in inFamous' case, traversal), but if you sat an assuming person down in front of a set of screenshots of the idle state of each game, they do start to blend together in a way.

Re: the diversity discourse, it's probably not a great idea to cite Wipeout Omega, the MedEvil remake, Last Guardian, or Gravity Rush as great examples of "diversity" given the studios who made all those games originally have either been shut down by SIE (Wipeout, MedEvil, Gravity Rush) or their creatives have left the company (Last Guardian, but Gravity Rush too). They also closed down their one other racing game developer after essentially one failure, Driveclub, despite Evolution Studios having a prior pedigree with the MotorStorm games.

We come then to 2021 where the PS5's key first-party titles now and in the near-term, are, again, from a purely aesthetic perspective, third-person action adventure games with a realistic art style (Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Returnal, God of War V, Horizon II, likely the next Naughty Dog game), and while a Ratchet and Clank and Sackboy game are coming out, that basically mirror's the PS4's LBP3 and Ratchet and Clank releases. They'll need to show an increase in diversity over the PS4 to actually shake off this perception, I think. You can argue data over the raw financial success certainly, but when people talk about this subject, they're thinking of AA games like Ape Escape, maybe an out-there attempt like MAG.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Who is making AAA roguelikes? Yes, it absolutely qualifies for this lol.

Pigeonholing Death Stranding as a "third person action game" and pretending that because it is, it's similar to any of the other third person action games that released before or since doesn't work for me. Yes, it's a third person action game with a cinematic focus... it's also one of the strangest, most unique AAA titles we've gotten all generation... Like, by far... Breath of the Wild and Ocarina of Time are both third-person action games but no one is out here pretending these two are the same type of game lol.

If you looked at the context of the conversation I was participating in, a user was insinuating that Sony and their studios shun the idea of making anything other than "the same type of cinematic third person action games." Which is categorically false... Do I think that they use certain types of games as their tentpoles? Yes, obviously, that's every business ever lol
Im not saying those games don't take risks or have unique qualities. They absolutely do. Death Stranding was tied with Fire Emblem for my 2019 GOTY and I wrote posts upon posts defending it's uniqueness and how it was a breath of fresh air for the industry, and kinda had critics not knowing what to do lol. So I agree with you in that way.

What I don't get, is that despite these games' uniqueness and differences, some people don't admit that these games share these certain similarities that have kinda become Sony's identity. Hell, it's why people love them on ERA, I've seen really big PlayStation fans here say they love the sony style cinematic game, that they've finally found their niche, that they should keep doing what they're doing. Ghost, TLOU, Horizon, Returnal, Death Stranding, Days Gone, God of War, Uncharted, Spider Man... You can categorize all of them as a third person, single player, story focused, action adventure game, no matter their quirks. All of their biggest first party games. It's literally a fact. It's not good or bad, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people try to deny that, or say there is no basis for people who feel like their tentpole release output is similar to eachother in many ways.

Jan 20, 2019
As someone who plays quite a few "sad dad" games, I'll admit even though they're aesthetically different and have very key gameplay differences, the following qualify to me as "sad dad" games:
The Last of Us (1)
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Death Stranding
God of War (4)

Really all (very well-made) games published by SIE that center around a third-person action-adventure game with a realistic art style where an older male protagonist has some kind of emotional trauma as part of the central conflict in the story, usually directly or indirectly related to family and family ties.

It doesn't help much to detract from this shade that others outside of the "sad dad" category, like inFamous: Second Son, Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Ghost of Tsushima are also big, well-made, open-world third-person action adventure games. Once again, the aesthetics are different and each focus on different types of combat (and in inFamous' case, traversal), but if you sat an assuming person down in front of a set of screenshots of the idle state of each game, they do start to blend together in a way.

Re: the diversity discourse, it's probably not a great idea to cite Wipeout Omega, the MedEvil remake, Last Guardian, or Gravity Rush as great examples of "diversity" given the studios who made all those games originally have either been shut down by SIE (Wipeout, MedEvil, Gravity Rush) or their creatives have left the company (Last Guardian, but Gravity Rush too). They also closed down their one other racing game developer after essentially one failure, Driveclub, despite Evolution Studios having a prior pedigree with the MotorStorm games.

We come then to 2021 where the PS5's key first-party titles now and in the near-term, are, again, from a purely aesthetic perspective, third-person action adventure games with a realistic art style (Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Returnal, God of War V, Horizon II, likely the next Naughty Dog game), and while a Ratchet and Clank and Sackboy game are coming out, that basically mirror's the PS4's LBP3 and Ratchet and Clank releases. They'll need to show an increase in diversity over the PS4 to actually shake off this perception, I think. You can argue data over the raw financial success certainly, but when people talk about this subject, they're thinking of AA games like Ape Escape, maybe an out-there attempt like MAG.

No offense, but if you are going to quote games is important you quote them all, because just for 2021 you also have Returnal and Destruction All Starts, two games you didn't have during the ps4 that go against your argument.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Fair enough. I would like to see what you actually feel about my argument tho rather than what you think about me personally lol
Well I think you're reducing the strength of these games to marketing terms like 'strong narrative' or 'open world' and judging them based on that alone. What makes RDR2 so good isn't that it's got a strong narrative or that it's got a believable open world. It's a 50+ hour game. There's a hundred strengths these games have that work together, and it's the end result that is so amazing. It's why games reviewing is so hard, you're trying to put into 500 words something that could really take thousands.

And okay I think you kind of addressed this when you've said 'well I've only been given these two bits of information' but you're still perfectly willing to try and judge the games based on those micro bullet points

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
It sure does get tiring repeating that they're still good games it's just a negative indicator that they're the only ones that sweep these games awards. AAA games are GOOD but they are NOT heads and shoulders so much better than literally everything else on the market every single god damn year that their continued yearly sweeping doesn't reflect negatively on the games industry as a whole. I'm not the only one saying things like this btw

Just my 2c on this specific issue: The people who vote and pick winners for this stuff are humans. Video games are very long. Video game journalism is not very lucrative. They cannot afford to and do not have the time to sift through potentially incredible games from smaller devs when they absolutely HAVE to cover the bigger titles because it's their job to do so (and we get a fuckton of big titles nowadays). Every hour they spend playing Hades to cover it is X amount of hours they could have spent covering a bigger title that would draw more traffic and earn Y more income and notoriety. That's not a games criticism issue -- that's an audience issue. These massive AAA games are super successful for a reason. They're loved by a shit ton of people for a reason.

It doesn't reflect negatively on the industry. That's ridiculous. People love these games lol

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing about the terms in the OP is that while some attribute them to some Sony titles, it's not really exclusive to Sony. The terms came about through noticing of general trends in the gaming landscape from what generally sells in big numbers, to what kinds of games are very commonly going to receive GOTY's and a Keighly award. Many AAA games are akin to popcorn flicks and summer blockbusters, and that's in no way meant to be taken as offensive either, just noticing of trends in games.

Heck, a movie can be Oscar bait or a summer blockbuster and still be very good films. There's nothing really derogatory about the term. Also people should know what an Oscar bait is... It's been a term since the 1940's, and is pretty well defined. It's something even critics themselves have used plenty.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us (1)
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Death Stranding
God of War (4)

Isn't Uncharted 4 a sad older brother game?

Edit I get what you're saying, but family is a really general theme for a story.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Well I think you're reducing the strength of these games to marketing terms like 'strong narrative' or 'open world' and judging them based on that alone. What makes RDR2 so good isn't that it's got a strong narrative or that it's got a believable open world. It's a 50+ hour game. There's a hundred strengths these games have that work together, and it's the end result that is so amazing. It's why games reviewing is so hard, you're trying to put into 500 words something that could really take thousands.

And okay I think you kind of addressed this when you've said 'well I've only been given these two bits of information' but you're still perfectly willing to try and judge the avens based on those micro bullet points
I mean you can read my numerous posts (might be one on this page) where I say that although these games are good, they are rarely heads and shoulders better than everything else on the market to the point where the same games by the same people continue to sweep game awards and critics choices every single year. If it isn't indicative of the maturity of the games industry when compared to others then I don't really know what it is but I genuinely think it's a mold we should strive to break

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but if you are going to quote games is important you quote them all, because just for 2021 you also have Returnal and Destruction All Starts, two games you didn't have during the ps4 that go against your argument.

Well if you read my post, I did mention Returnal, and having watched the trailers I'm pretty certain it won't play much like TLOU2 or Uncharted, but I'm saying on a pure image/perception level, it is, boiled down, another third-person action-adventure game in a realistic art style. Once again, like Tsushima or Horizon as compared to Days Gone, the exact moment-to-moment gameplay isn't especially similar, but the way I visually engage with the art direction as a whole, is.

Destruction All-Stars is a new kind of game for SIE perhaps best compared to something like Twisted Metal, but it doesn't quite have the budget or amount of content as that sort of game, so I don't quite know where to place it. I'm glad it exists, even if it's not for me.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I mean you can read my numerous posts (might be one on this page) where I say that although these games are good, they are rarely heads and shoulders better than everything else on the market to the point where the same games by the same people continue to sweep game awards and critics choices every single year. If it isn't indicative of the maturity of the games industry when compared to others then I don't really know what it is but I genuinely think it's a mold we should strive to break
Well...I mean they're not head and shoulders better than others...in your opinion? Your opinions is certainly not the objective benchmark of fact. I personally cannot think of any games that stand toe to toe with the likes of GTAV and RDR2

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Just my 2c on this specific issue: The people who vote and pick winners for this stuff are humans. Video games are very long. Video game journalism is not very lucrative. They cannot afford to and do not have the time to sift through potentially incredible games from smaller devs when they absolutely HAVE to cover the bigger titles because it's their job to do so (and we get a fuckton of big titles nowadays). Every hour they spend playing Hades to cover it is X amount of hours they could have spent covering a bigger title that would draw more traffic and earn Y more income and notoriety. That's not a games criticism issue -- that's an audience issue. These massive AAA games are super successful for a reason. They're loved by a shit ton of people for a reason.

It doesn't reflect negatively on the industry. That's ridiculous. People love these games lol
The audience issue exists for other mediums as well. There's always going to be readers who will only want to look at the most popular/biggest thing. I would argue that games critics should be paid more but obviously we agree on that so I'll I'm gonna say is that your post seems like a one big roundabout way to say that corporations decide GOTY lol

Jan 20, 2019
Well if you read my post, I did mention Returnal, and having watched the trailers I'm pretty certain it won't play much like TLOU2 or Uncharted, but I'm saying on a pure image/perception level, it is, boiled down, another third-person action-adventure game in a realistic art style. Once again, like Tsushima or Horizon as compared to Days Gone, the exact moment-to-moment gameplay isn't especially similar, but the way I visually engage with the art direction as a whole, is.

Destruction All-Stars is a new kind of game for SIE perhaps best compared to something like Twisted Metal, but it doesn't quite have the budget or amount of content as that sort of game, so I don't quite know where to place it. I'm glad it exists, even if it's not for me.

You cant just resume every game to " it is 3 person action game", that will take this discuss to no were because if that is the logic behind everything, then we can apply it to every game.

Returnal looks nothing like the games you quote, from gameplay perpective and from a design perspective and we are not talking about budget, but diversity.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Uncharted 4 a sad older brother game?

Edit I get what you're saying, but family is a really general theme for a story.
Right, it absolutely is, I'm just saying this is what I'd venture most people actually mean when they say "sad dad game"; that is, not a game literally about a depressed father, but one that (tends to) revolve around older male characters, and take place in the framework of a (usually) open-world third-person action adventure game with a realistic art style.

Or to put it another way, would people with the opposing view here argue that Assassin's Creed Unity and Ghost of Tsushima are not the same genre? If so, then I don't know what genres those games are without getting into hyper-specific descriptions like "Assassin's Creed is it's own genre" or something like that.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Well...I mean they're not head and shoulders better than others...in your opinion? Your opinions is certainly not the objective benchmark of fact. I personally cannot think of any games that stand toe to toe with the likes of GTAV and RDR2
I';m glad you feel that way. And there's nothing wrong with liking big budget movies either. But they're not the only ones that win awards

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The audience issue exists for other mediums as well. There's always going to be readers who will only want to look at the most popular/biggest thing. I would argue that games critics should be paid more but obviously we agree on that so I'll I'm gonna say is that your post seems like a one big roundabout way to say that corporations decide GOTY lol

Most other mediums don't have you engage with a 20+ hour piece so it's a little different... You can watch like 9.5 movies in the span it takes to complete a single game nowadays.

As to your point about corporations selecting GOTY, they pretty clearly don't. We have fan voted GOTY awards and the same games are winning those, too. Maybe people just love those games more than the other games you seem to hold in higher regard?

Edit: smaller titles win tons of awards, too. Hades just this last year won a bunch of them. Hollow Knight and Ori took home their share in their moment, too.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I';m glad you feel that way. And there's nothing wrong with liking big budget movies either. But they're not the only ones that win awards
Right but there you go again trying to undermine others' opinion, as just liking the equivalent of movies. I'm not a movie guy, I think Marvel is stupid as hell. RDR2 is amongst the best gaming has to offer. In all honesty, RDR2 is probably a better crafted piece of media than your favourite game. It's not just stupid Hollywood shit.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting for the Fun Mum games to come around. Done Mum's if they are fucking over it and you need violence as your interface in games. Run Mum's for rad movement and platforming games. Gun Mum's works too for violence. Just give me the Mum games is what I am saying.
Mums are tough. Mum is the word. I would like a Pun Mum game to tell the story of conciliating being a mum and a comedian.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That is fair but this topic has more to do with Sony's output than third parties, but your point is still valid for sure. And I obviously agree that not every title hits the mark.

Gaming journalism is an entirely different issue that would require a seperate thread to even begin discussing.

Indeed. My opinion is that gaming should eventually move away from cinematic storytelling and celebrate the thing that makes it unique, its interactivity. I personally consider it a failing when a game has to rely on lengthy non-interactive segments (cutscenes) in order to tell its story. I know that others disagree and enjoy these games very much and I respect it but I would really like to see gaming evolve past that.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
You cant just resume every game to " it is 3 person action game", that will take this discuss to no were because if that is the logic behind everything, then we can apply it to every game.

Returnal looks nothing like the games you quote, from gameplay perpective and from a design perspective and we are not talking about budget, but diversity.
Well no, again the salient point is not just that they're third-person, it's a third-person action-adventure game in a realistic art style that appears to have a heavy emphasis on cinematic story-telling (whatever you might take that to mean). I am not saying that the gameplay is the exact same, as it is not; in Tsushima you slash enemies with a sword, in Returnal you shoot them with a gun, but fundamentally I am interacting with the character and engaging in actions in a similar way (going by the trailers, at least).

Compare the gulf between games like those two and say, Tetris, or Gran Turismo, or Dance Dance Revolution. These are very clearly different genres if for no other reason than the Thing You Do is fundamentally different. You could also differentiate art styles, which, even if the gameplay wasn't as different, would give an aesthetic air of diversity. Sackboy and Ratchet & Clank are good examples of that in a number of ways.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Most other mediums don't have you engage with a 20+ hour piece so it's a little different... You can watch like 9.5 movies in the span it takes to complete a single game nowadays.

As to your point about corporations selecting GOTY, they pretty clearly don't. We have fan voted GOTY awards and the same games are winning those, too. Maybe people just love those games more than the other games you seem to hold in higher regard?
If you let fans pick the Oscars then big budget movies would sweep too. And yeah I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why game critiques and awards are the way they are now but again I have to reiterate it's precisely the reason why games are seen closer to toys than to art by the average person

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Im pretty sure there are at least 10 gameplay focused games for each story focused one. So not even sure where the salt is coming from

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
If you let fans pick the Oscars then big budget movies would sweep too. And yeah I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why game critiques and awards are the way they are now but again I have to reiterate it's precisely the reason why games are seen closer to toys than to art by the average person

Man I'm going out on a limb here but I don't think games like Stardew Valley, Hades, Factorio, etc. taking home a bunch of awards would do much to distance the perception of video games as toys any more than The Last of Us 2 winning a bunch of awards would. Actually, it'd probably have the opposite effect lol. That's mostly an oldhead perception anyway.

Feb 24, 2018
Not familiar with the Sad Dad term so i'll focus on the Oscar GOTYbait

With the actual Oscars, Oscar bait IS a real thing, partly because it can be obvious where the voters for the wards tastes lie and play the system (spoilers, it isn't speculative fiction or animation most of the time), Kate Winslet once pointed out the exact type of role she would need to do to win the Oscar... And then one it for that very type of role years later for the Reader.

I assume the term in gaming is for notable patterns in how the Game Awards and other gaming Awards vote and pick for certain awards?

As for the idea story driven games win more awards over gameplay focus ones? I admit I do see that pattern, even outside the award voters. i remember the Game Award nominations thread and how both TLOU2 and Hades fans were pretty being patronising and dismissive of Animal Crossing New Horizons for being gameplay focus and incapable of being truly impactful.

That's not isolated to gaming, going back to movies, this is something a lot of people in the film industry have complained about when it comes to comedies and one of the big reasons why The Golden Globes split their best movie into Best Drama and Best Comedy. When it comes Oscars, Comedies win 1 in 5 times compared to Dramas and their is a stigma that comedies are less important, meaningful etc. This is why you see many comedy actors moving into more "serious" roles.

Animation also has gotten this stigma, rather infamously, several voters have admitted they didn't vote for Disney's Beauty and the Beast because they didn't want the "embarrassment" of an animated movie winning best film (and partly why Best Animated movie was created). Same for Documentaries and Speculative Fiction.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Walking sims have nothing to do with sony. In fact the game that popularized the term into a dismissive meme ( dear esther) wasn't even on consoles for a good while

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
I'd just like to add, the 'sad dad' genre of games should be complimented with 'happy pappy' arcade titles...

...this thread may continue now.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I'd say that it does reflect negatively on the industry because critics in other industries very often try to bring smaller works to the audience's attention and routinely award non-popular works.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Right, it absolutely is, I'm just saying this is what I'd venture most people actually mean when they say "sad dad game"; that is, not a game literally about a depressed father, but one that (tends to) revolve around older male characters, and take place in the framework of a (usually) open-world third-person action adventure game with a realistic art style.

Or to put it another way, would people with the opposing view here argue that Assassin's Creed Unity and Ghost of Tsushima are not the same genre? If so, then I don't know what genres those games are without getting into hyper-specific descriptions like "Assassin's Creed is it's own genre" or something like that.
I think they do literally mean you have a kid follow the character about, or the main character's young daughter is the deuteragonist like Witcher 3 or Bioshock Infinite. The cynical idea that they'll give a game an award, because that character is cute, and "They must be protected" even if the developers say "as you can see, this character can defend themself"

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Right but there you go again trying to undermine others' opinion, as just liking the equivalent of movies. I'm not a movie guy, I think Marvel is stupid as hell. RDR2 is amongst the best gaming has to offer. In all honesty, RDR2 is probably a better crafted piece of media than your favourite game. It's not just stupid Hollywood shit.
If you want to only play AAA games I'm not going to stop you. I really don't understand how it's different than just stupid Hollywood shit when a lot of stupid Hollywood shit like Marvel is actually good. They're finely crafted movies with great effects, large scale action that can't be done with a lesser budget, and great writing. But if they were representative of the best and most thought provoking the medium had to offer well... movies would be viewed more like games overall haha

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'd say that it does reflect negatively on the industry because critics in other industries very often try to bring smaller works to the audience's attention and routinely award non-popular works.

Smaller titles get a ton of shine in this industry, though? Vallheim just broke 5 million sales. That's more support than anything critics and other mediums can ever muster.