• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just want more sad mom games pls.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like there's a commensurate uptick in people who take the terms personally.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Will Returnal be the first sad space mom game? I hope it becomes a trend!

edit: oh yeah Other M. I wouldn't mind a genre revival then.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't GOTY bait essentially mean "really good game"? I don't see how that could be used in a negative way

Like yeah TLOUII is goty bait because it's really fucking good and by far one of the best games of the year

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Games are supposed to about gameplay and nothing else. If you dare to put a great story alongside great gameplay you're obviously just doing it to sucker the tasteless rubes.

Oct 27, 2017
"Sad Dad" is an incredible tag and should be used officially in the videogame canon. It deserves a lot more than Looter Shooter atleast.

Was Vagrant Story the first Sad Dad game? Let's discuss.

Gumshoe

www.giantbomb.com

Gumshoe (Game) - Giant Bomb

Classic NES platformer in which the game continuously scrolls to the right. Players must use the NES Zapper accessory to make the character (Gumshoe) avoid obstacles and reach platforms. The Zapper can also be used to shoot enemies in the path. Gumshoe was published and developed by Nintendo.

A mafia boss named King Dom kidnapped Mr. Stevenson's daughter. Mr. Stevenson must collect five black panther diamonds to save his daughter.

Mr Stevenson is an ex-FBI agent turned detective.

Oct 27, 2017
"Gaming is art but only if it brings my company of choice large profits" is how this reads to me.

No corporation is going to fund ventures that are not profitable in the long run. None of the three console platform holders are making consoles and games simply to make art, but to generate profits for their shareholders.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
How am I defending them? I was just bringing up a point.
No offense, but I've seen you around a lot in threads, and you mainly seem to defend TLoU2 from criticism in the majority of your posts. I get being passionate about the game (it and New Horizons were my GOTY 2020), but if you do that too often, you enable yourself to get baited by people who just wanna shitpost anyway, or hurl dumb insults like this thread is about.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't GOTY bait essentially mean "really good game"? I don't see how that could be used in a negative way

Like yeah TLOUII is goty bait because it's really fucking good and by far one of the best games of the year
Well generally it's connected to the term "oscarbait" which means movies that have no merit other than being made for awards.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just your usual reductive dismissal of games some members think are undeserving of their acclaim.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
My favorite is how character action and 3rd person games are now genres. Time to flood the market with fps boys.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but I've seen you around a lot in threads, and you mainly seem to defend TLoU2 from criticism in the majority of your posts. I get being passionate about the game (it and New Horizons were my GOTY 2020), but if you do that too often, you enable yourself to get baited by people who just wanna shitpost anyway, or hurl dumb insults like this thread is about.
I didn't say TLOU2 specifically, I'm just talking in general.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Broad and disparaging generalisations have existed for decades. This isn't new, nor is it predominantly directed at Sony.

Walking Sims is a term that's been used for 15 odd years.

Some people call any sort of shooter "shoot bangs" or something similarly dismissive.

Anything involving motion controls is a "waggle" game.

Anything sport related is "sportsball"

Just ignore anyone who uses these terms in anything beyond a tongue in cheek manner.
I was gonna type up something similar, but yeah, this covers my thoughts.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
There is value in the Walking Sim name and it is a shame that people still use it derisively (or think it is meant disparagingly when it isn't).

Dad Game is one thing, but (as noted) "Sad Dad Game" in the context of Sony is one or two games across a decade.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well generally it's connected to the term "oscarbait" which means movies that have no merit other than being made for awards.
But even oscar bait makes no sense

Like if you win a bunch of oscars isn't that a good thing? Not that the Oscars always choose the best movie but winning at least means you must be pretty good?

Oct 27, 2017

That's not how it's used except by someone extremely angry maybe? It refers more generally to characteristics. People aren't going around saying movies are literally worth zero except for an award. Get it together, people are just using short hand. It's okay.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Sad Dad is a great and harmless term; oscar-bait and walking sim are weaker monikers (in the context people use them in) though.

Hoping for more Sad Mum games in the future though; Other M needs more company.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like if you win a bunch of oscars isn't that a good thing? Not that the Oscars always choose the best movie but winning at least means you must be pretty good?
Not always. Film critics and judges can sometimes be disconnected from the average person and hold up stuff that doesn't really resonate with them IE green book.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
That's not how it's used except by someone extremely angry maybe? It refers more generally to characteristics. People aren't going around saying movies are literally worth zero except for an award. Get it together, people are just using short hand. It's okay.

People DEFINITELY use it as shorthand to shit on a game and basically say that it was purposely made to hit some sort of imaginary checklist that award voters look for. To deny that is denying the full context of the discourse.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it has absolutely been used that way. It's something I have noticed.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm waiting for the Fun Mum games to come around. Done Mum's if they are fucking over it and you need violence as your interface in games. Run Mum's for rad movement and platforming games. Gun Mum's works too for violence. Just give me the Mum games is what I am saying.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I love God of War and TLOU and I think sad dad is a hilarious term

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
But even oscar bait makes no sense

Yeah, I don't get how oscar bait is disparaging either. The opposite sounds worse, lol.

There's definitely a value-neutral way to use the term, but it's often used to describe films that have all the aesthetics of a seminal masterpiece while being extremely shallow and hammy.

And sometimes those movies actually do win Oscars because the Oscars are about politics much more than they're about meritocracy.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Probably same way that "Oscar bait" is a negative thing. Goty bait generally means third person adventure game with a heavier story emphasis in my experience, so I guess calling it Goty bait is something that leans into that?

Not like I mind though, tends to be some of my favorite games anyhow.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The only one I'm kind of okay with is "Sad Dad" since it's definitely a well worn trope at this point and speaks to how so much of our media is framed through the straight white male in his 30s lens, but if you're using a bunch of these other terms to write stuff off I'm pretty much just ignoring your opinion, particularly when they're just listed off one after the other. Like congrats, you used a bunch of cynical buzz terms without really saying anything of value, I'm not particularly impressed.